PDA

View Full Version : Needed you guys yesterday

RickSE
09-26-2010, 02:28 PM
My son and I participated in the Powellapalooza (http://www.powellapalooza.com/powellapalooza-activities/poker-run) Puker Run yesterday at Lake Powell. I know how rough certain parts of the lake can get with a lot boat traffic so I made sure we were up front at the start. We were in the company of several blown Fountains, a Nortech, Eliminator, two DCB cats and several other HP boats mixed in the pack. We were definitely the little guys in the front since they suggested that the fast boats go first, and rest to follow. I'm sure they thought we didn't seem to fit in but my son and I were prepared to run our boat and have fun. When the horn blew we were off with the lead group. Two of the Fountains and the Eliminator pulled on us pretty quick but we kept them in our sights and held the rest behind to the first stop. Man we were flyin, through some crazy water but managed to stay above 70, 75 for one section. We were fourth at the first card stop; one little 22 with two guys in life vests surrounded by 40' boats. :wink: On to the next stop we ended up in third since some of the guys sat back at the first stop. The Nortech finally came up on us and two of the Fountains stayed in front; but we we're still there and having fun.:yes:. We kept this up through the remaining stops ending up third into the last stop. Sure, all the guys up front had way more boat then we did and could have left us behind but I don't think any of them figured a little 22 could hang up front with them like we did. We talked to one of the 42' Fountain (T700's w/#6's) owners after the event who was laughing, commenting that we were out of the water most of the time. They had a helicopter following us all, filming video for Powellapalooza for most of the run but no still pictures from what I understand. Hopefully they'll post the video at some point. We wanted to take pictures but we we're too busy hanging on.

I need some fellow Donzi support next time.

Thanks to Donzi for building a Bad A$$ factory hot rod boat and Mercury Racing for building a motor that can run +5,000 RPM for 40-miles.

gcarter
09-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a good time!:yes:

How's the water level this year?

yeller
09-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Sounds like fun Rick. Wish I could have been there.

Ed Donnelly
09-26-2010, 04:48 PM
You did us PROUD.........................Ed

RickSE
09-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a good time!:yes:

How's the water level this year?

George, it was fun. Everytime we go out though I wish you guys were here. I certainly miss running with the Donzi pack. I may try to organize a group meet next year at this time if they do Powellapalooza & the Poker Run again.

The water level is good, for now. We're down about 60' from full pool which is actually a good level. Most of the short cuts are open and we have plenty of beaches at this water level. The bad news is that Lake Mead is extremely low and they're talking about equalizing Powell & Mead next year. Powell currently holds a little over 15 million acre feet of water and their talking about releasing the regulated amount +8MAF to Mead next year. If they do this we'll be back to the lake levels of 2005, down 150', which is not good. We'll see. If the winter is good it won't happen and everyone will be happy.

farmer tx
09-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Rick,it sounds like you and Kalen had a great time. We really missed not making it to Powell this year.Things have gotten really hectic around here.Forty miles should have put you close to Dangling Rope,or did it go that far? Hope they get a lot of snow in Colorado and Utah this winter.

See ya next season,
Mark

RickSE
09-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Mark, I should have called you guys to see if you wanted to come over. This was only our second time out with the boat and probably our last for the year, so I kinda know what you mean about hectic. I'm trying to teach Kaelan how to drive the boat but he still has a lot to learn. As we all know, these boats require experience and you can't learn how to drive them overnight. He's scared the crap out of me a few times but we gotta work through it together.

We started at Antelope Marina for card #1, Card #2 was at the Dam, #3 at Lone Rock Beach, #4 through the Cut and into Warm Creek and #5 was back at Antelope Marina.

We miss you guys and like I said maybe we can organize something next year around this event if they do it again.

glenncal1
09-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I wish I had know about the Poker Run sooner. My younger daughter has diabetes and one of the charity receipients of the run was the JDRF. If it happens next year I will be there. Sounds like a good time and probably great weather. :party: