PDA

View Full Version : K-planes and Bennett pumps

yeller
09-26-2010, 02:20 AM
I currently have a set of the twin ram bennetts on my boat, but I would like something that is longer and reacts faster.

If I picked up a set of K-planes, does anyone know if could I use my existing bennett pumps?

gero1
09-26-2010, 07:15 AM
what is the modle number on your pumps

Greg Guimond
09-26-2010, 08:17 AM
You want to use JUST the Bennett pump to run K Planes? What size K Planes do you have in mind for your 22? You might want to try and find a set of 110 or 150 K's that have the pumps integrated.

gcarter
09-26-2010, 08:49 AM
K-Plane pumps (and for that matter, my Power Plane pumps) are smaller versions of your trim pump (at least the pumps seem the same, but w/smaller motors).
That being said, I don't think they'd be fast enough (enough pump volume).
But then, I haven't tried it either.
Why not find a set w/pumps, then sell your Bennetts?

yeller
09-26-2010, 03:16 PM
what is the modle number on your pumps
I'll have to check that. Do you know if some pumps might work?

Greg, I'm thinking more along the lines of 280's. 150's would work, but they're not as easy to find as 280's. That's a lot more tab than most on this site would say is necessary, but I figure the extra length isn't going to hurt...and may even work better.

George, I'm prepared to buy a complete setup but there are often rams for sale without pumps, so that's why I was wondering if the Bennett pumps would work. You are right though....it comes down to volume. I guess what I really need to do is find out the rating of my pumps and the K-plane pumps.

MOP
09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
None of the pumps including Bennet pump real fast, but one pump for each tab with the lines T-ed together I think should do what you want.

mrfixxall
09-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Wont work..bennett pumps have 1 line per tab for the up and down. k plane has 2 lines per tab plus the cylinders have seperate lines for the up and down..pressure up and down,if you put a t in line it will fight each other and the ram on the kplane wont move.

Greg Guimond
09-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeller, no doubt that 280's are more readily available. You might want to stop in at S+F and see about the pump volumes.

CHACHI
09-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Run your pump on 24 volts.

ken

MOP
09-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Wont work..bennett pumps have 1 line per tab for the up and down. k plane has 2 lines per tab plus the cylinders have seperate lines for the up and down..pressure up and down,if you put a t in line it will fight each other and the ram on the kplane wont move.

Wrong! I have sistered the lines then paired the up and down wires for another project works just fine, it is no different than hitting both buttons at the same time which we all do many times.

mrfixxall
09-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Wrong! I have sistered the lines then paired the up and down wires for another project works just fine, it is no different than hitting both buttons at the same time which we all do many times.

show me! ok if you take one bennett pump that only has one line going to each cylinder and the pump pushes fluid into the cylinder to extend.. i can see one pump working one kplane but not 2 kplanes...he would need 2 seperate bennett pumps..

MOP
09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
show me! ok if you take one bennett pump that only has one line going to each cylinder and the pump pushes fluid into the cylinder to extend.. i can see one pump working one kplane but not 2 kplanes...he would need 2 seperate bennett pumps..

Please reread #6!

Dr. David Fleming
09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
I just removed a set of the Bennetts and installed the 150 K plane set. The pumps mounted on the back of the hull to operate the K planes are the same pumps Merc uses to raise and lower the drive unit. I would assume these are fairly common as replacement or scrap.

mrfixxall
09-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Please reread #6!

you say T the lines together!! refer to pic 1 which is a k-plane notice it has 2 lines going to it like a trim cylinder when you operate the pump it puts pressure to one line and fills the cylinder then the k plane goes down filling the cylinder,when you push the opposite side of the button it puts pressure to the other line and opens a valve to allow the fluid to flow back in the tank..So if you tie the lines together it will bind the k-plane cylinder and do nothing in either direction..

pic 2 ,, the upper pump is a kplane pump and the lower one id the trim pump..notice the 2 lines,they are both pressure lines and return lines which is done in series with the valving inside the pump..

pic 3 is a trimaster/Bennett style pump..holding the button in the down position will pump the fluid into the Bennett style cylinder allowing it to go down,,holding the button in the up position it will pump the fluid back into the pumps reservoir but only with the help of the spring loaded Bennett style ram..so with this style pump and with out a spring assisted cylinder its impossible for this pump to suck the fluid back into the Bennett style pump..

VetteLT193
09-28-2010, 07:22 AM
fixx, mop is saying use 2 bennett pumps (one on each plane) instead of one like the standard bennetts use (one for both tabs). There are two lines coming out of each pump, one for each tab normally, but in the K plane setup you would just have to have one line for up, one for down, then mess with the wiring to make it fire properly.

yeller
09-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks for all the responses, but this is kind of an unnecessary thread.

I don't know why.....but I was thinking I had two pumps instead of one. :bonk:

I believe K-planes use two pumps.......correct??

VetteLT193
09-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the responses, but this is kind of an unnecessary thread.
I don't know why.....but I was thinking I had two pumps instead of one. :bonk:
I believe K-planes use two pumps.......correct??

Yes. they also have a different pump pressures. I think there is a racing one and standard k plane pump plus the pressure is odd relative to other pumps up vs. down.

the bennett pump is far lower pressure (I think) than either of the k plane pumps.

The Hedgehog
09-29-2010, 11:11 AM
You will need the real pumps that go with the KPlanes.

It does not matter if a Bennett will work or not. It will be too slow. One of the biggest benefits to Kplanes is that you get results quick. If you need planes and you are running greater than 70, you want them ASAP.

It would suck to have those nice planes and have a weak pump.

rchevelle71
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Not sure if it works with K-Plane rams, but you can modify K-Planes to use bennett rams:cool:

yeller
09-29-2010, 04:23 PM
If you need planes and you are running greater than 70, you want them ASAP.

True enough. It's not that I really want K-planes....it's the reaction time I want.

The Hedgehog
09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
True enough. It's not that I really want K-planes....it's the reaction time I want.

I can relate. That is why I have them now. Those bennett's are fine to control listing but when you need stability quickly there is no substitute for the real deal. Once you have a set in your hands and see the difference, this will all make sense.

The big tabs made my life much better when running in a crowd. Let's me drive the boat now. I have plenty to ponder without worrying about that.

Shop around, you may be able to find a deal on some pumps.

VetteLT193
09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
on a related note, more length will give faster reaction time too.

The bennett twin ram system is very slow but I think I'd be happy with a set of longer tab plates to simply get into the water quicker.

rchevelle71
09-30-2010, 12:53 PM
on a related note, more length will give faster reaction time too.

The bennett twin ram system is very slow but I think I'd be happy with a set of longer tab plates to simply get into the water quicker.

The way to correct a slow bennett twin ram system is to add a pump for each side. the bennett pump is slow because each time you add a ram you cut the flow in half, by adding a pump for each side you can double the flow, also the added length will react faster as you said, and the reason i added the long tebs to my boat, the bennett twin rams worked fin, but these take less angle to correct, and just plain look cooler:wink: