PDA

View Full Version : Classic 22 questions

surewin
09-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I may sound like a dummy here but I have owned a 16c for 20 years and the 22c for a week. Two questions on the 22c: Why does an alarm sound when I turn the key to start the boat? And how do you put the boat in neutral, the large round button in the center of the shift/throttle pushes in but the throttle will not advance?

mrfixxall
09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I may sound like a dummy here but I have owned a 16c for 20 years and the 22c for a week. Two questions on the 22c: Why does an alarm sound when I turn the key to start the boat? And how do you put the boat in neutral, the large round button in the center of the shift/throttle pushes in but the throttle will not advance?

the alarm sounds because theirs no oil pressure then when the pressure builds the alarm shuts off..if the alarm is still goung off whyle under way then you may have a bad sensor..

As fo the shifter??? you probably have the merc one that brakes and everybody has been changing to either a dana,livorsi or a uflex..push the button in the middle of the lower shift handle and slightly move it forward and backwards and it should go into neutral..

oledawg
09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Ditto on the shifter....I have the original MC on my '88 22C and just have to hold in the large rectangular button at the base of the shifter to put it in the neutral mode.....I haven't had any problems with mine other than having to replace the shifter/throttle cable.....works just fine :wink:

Kirbyvv
09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
You should be able to push the center button in, hold it in and move the throttle forward. You can then accelerate the throttle in neutral. When you pull it back to neutral the button will pop back out and you will no longer be in neutral if you move the throttle forward.

fogducker III
09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
the alarm sounds because theirs no oil pressure then when the pressure builds the alarm shuts off..if the alarm is still goung off whyle under way then you may have a bad sensor..

As fo the shifter??? you probably have the merc one that brakes and everybody has been changing to either a dana,livorsi or a uflex..push the button in the middle of the lower shift handle and slightly move it forward and backwards and it should go into neutral..

I always thought when the alarm sounded for a couple of seconds when you started up it was just telling you the alarm system was working...?

If it stayed on then obviously some sort of problem......:eek:

PS. Some shifters you have to pull the handle out towards you to get neutral, not sure which one you have...?