PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Question

surewin
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Does a 2001 Classic 22 have a GPS speedometer? Mine stopped working, can you loose the signal? If not GPS, and nothing on the transom, where is the imput and possible problem.

Tidbart
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
If it is a stock speedo, chances are it is not GPS. Look on the back of the speedo, you should see a black vacuum tubing. If so, it is mechanical.
Raise the drive and look at the tubing as it attaches to the drive. It is about halfway up on the front of the drive. I would bet the tubing came loose from its plastic fitting. If the fitting is not broken, put it back on the fitting and put a small zip tie around it.

Bob

Conquistador_del_mar
09-21-2010, 12:37 PM
You also want to check the small hole at the front of the drive which is where a mechanical pressure speedometer gets its pressure reading. Many times it is blocked with debris. You can usually blow compressed air from where the tubing connects at the speedometer to dislodge the debris or you can use a very small drill bit in your fingers to get it out. You will still want to blow some air through the tubing from the dash area to make sure it is all out. Bill

Planetwarmer
09-21-2010, 10:28 PM
You also want to check the small hole at the front of the drive which is where a mechanical pressure speedometer gets its pressure reading. Many times it is blocked with debris. You can usually blow compressed air from where the tubing connects at the speedometer to dislodge the debris or you can use a very small drill bit in your fingers to get it out. You will still want to blow some air through the tubing from the dash area to make sure it is all out. Bill
I have done this several times. It works like a charm! Its almost hard to believe that the least expensive and easiest thing to repair on a boat is the speedometer!!!

surewin
09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the assistance, the tubing fell off the little plastic x on the outdrive.

oledawg
09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Gotta try that the next time that my '88 22C is out of the water.....speedo has never worked since I have had the boat.....use "seat of the pants" and tach, and if I really want to know speed for some reason I just put my Garmin GPS on the dash with a piece of velcro....how tacky is that :pimp: