PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist…

dr
09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I may have posed this question before but ‘what am I missing regarding craigslist’…people I know swear by it, including some from here but I’ve never had any luck whatsoever…

I’ve tried to sale several things, everything from a lake lot to electronic equipment to wooden cigar boxes that are very common and popular items with no luck….normally all I get is spam including Nigerian prince wanting to make a ‘dang deal’ that is nothing more than a scam….I’ve also attempted to purchase a couple of things again without luck.

What’s the ‘trick’ or tricks…what I am missing…are there other forums such as Craigslist others use…thanks in advance for the help…

Just Say N20
09-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I have had good success with craigslist. Yes, it does come with some goofy spam replies.

I have always put 8 - 10 high quality pictures of the item in the ad. You create a link to the quality pictures from Photobucket or some such hosting service. I have also linked videos the same way. The picture/video hosting site should have the ability to generate a pile of text that you copy and paste into the craigslist ad. When the ad is viewed, when done correctly, you actually see the nice, big pictures, not the text that you pasted into the ad.

Additionally, go to www.craigslist.org/about/help/html_in_craigslist_postings/ . It will give you info on how to format the ad so it looks better, not just one giant paragraph.

This gives a lot of quality info for people to see.

I hope this helps.

dr
09-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Lots of good information Bill, thanks.

David

McGary911
09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
I've actually had some luck buying via Craigslist.

Got some factory wheels for the Benz for $200. Almost new condition. 1 with a touch of curb rash. The guy did put a disclaimer in his ad. Something like "No, I don't want to date you, don't send me pictures of your Dxxx. I'm not a homosexual..." Me thinks he's had a problem in the past.

Got some speakers and a receiver from 2 different people for $215. That's the only reason I have a $1200 surround sound system in my bedroom. Had to wait for about 6 weeks for the right receiver to come up, but wasn't in a hurry.

Got my riding mower from Craigslist too, come to think of it.

I've never listed anything on there personally, but listed my friend's Viper a while back. Within 10 minutes after submitting the post, started getting idiotic replies. "Would you lease it to me", and crap like that. I'll likely be selling my old wheels on there soon. Curious if I'll get a pile of crap replies.

Tidbart
09-21-2010, 12:29 PM
One thought, put in your ad that you will not respond to any emails, only phone calls from serious buyers. List your phone number. Ignore all emails. Spam not an issue any more.

B

Conquistador_del_mar
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I have had great luck with Craiglist. Like Bill said, get some good pictures linked through photobucket if you want to sell. Every buyer I have had told me my pictures is what sold them the car or whatever else it was. I have sold probably 30 things using Craigslist including about 7 cars and boats without a problem. I have also bought boats, cars, a telescope, a freezer, a refrigerator, a wall oven, a pistol, my wife's engagement ring, an outdrive, etc. using it. If you are a seller, I would highly recommend setting a firm cash price to eliminate the low ballers and also include your phone number which adds legitimacy to your ad and makes it easy to make contact. You can easily see the legitimate email responses among the scammers, but most of my buyers call if they really want the item. Craigslist is a great selling/buying avenue since it is for local transactions. I have sold things the very day I advertised them. In fact, I bought my 1971 18' Donzi that I restored and first owned in 1973 through Craigslist from the seller the very day he listed it a couple years ago. Bill

Just Say N20
09-21-2010, 02:06 PM
. . .I have also bought . . . a pistol, Bill

Yikes!:nilly: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh, you mean that Airsoft TOY pistol! OK, that's fine :wink:

Donziweasel
09-21-2010, 05:09 PM
What's wrong with buying a pistol? Can you not buy firearms on Craigslist? Just curious.

Just Say N20
09-21-2010, 07:08 PM
What's wrong with buying a pistol? Can you not buy firearms on Craigslist? Just curious.

Nope. Big no-no.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited.items

Conquistador_del_mar
09-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Yikes!:nilly: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh, you mean that Airsoft TOY pistol! OK, that's fine :wink:

You are right. I actually bought a 357 magnum through our local shopper - not Craigslsit - sorry about the confusion. I think I heard a story in the past week that they are not doing the personal ad listings anymore that were acctually listings for prostitution. Bill

handfulz28
09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
One thought, put in your ad that you will not respond to any emails, only phone calls from serious buyers. List your phone number. Ignore all emails. Spam not an issue any more.

B

The easy way to do this is check/uncheck the box when you enter your email address so that it doesn't even show an email link in the ad. If you still prefer to go only with emails though, "encrypting" your email address somewhere in your ad text will help to sift out the auto-bot scam crap.

I was afraid to list my phone number when I started listing things but nowadays that's the best way to get the really interested people to respond.

WifeHatesMyDonzi
09-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Since we are on the CL subject; is there a way to search multiple cities at once. I think that some of you have a way to type in something like "Donzi 22" and search more than the one city that is selected. Can that be done? Or do you just go from one city to the next and just keep entering the search.

Just Say N20
09-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Yup. :yes:

http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat.cgi?cat=boa&itm=

Type Donzi, or scroll down to it in the second column.

Tidbart
09-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Since we are on the CL subject; is there a way to search multiple cities at once. I think that some of you have a way to type in something like "Donzi 22" and search more than the one city that is selected. Can that be done? Or do you just go from one city to the next and just keep entering the search.

or Google "Donzi 22 site:craigslist.org"

B

VetteLT193
09-22-2010, 08:10 AM

B

+1. Google updates it very quickly now. If you want to narrow it down more, I use state code too like: Donzi 22 FL site:craigslist.org

on a side note, make sure you don't use craigslist.com or you will only search SanFran.

Marlin275
09-22-2010, 08:47 AM
I rent out a condo in Brooklyn every few years
and Craig's list is all I need to deliver people
day after day.
The brokers use it too.

One trick is I create another web page with
huge photos and text
and put the link on Craig's list.
works every time!

dr
09-23-2010, 09:45 AM

B

great tip...sure beats using the 'allcraigslist' sites...thanks

dr
09-23-2010, 09:47 AM
lots of good information and help...thanks everyone...