PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Owner Questions (28ZX)

MAW71
09-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some feedback from the experts on a 1996 Donzi 28ZX that I'm looking to purchase in the near future. Here are some of the details and the link to the classified ad below. I have been looking for a while now, this boat is super clean, 2nd owner is selling, I believe around 300 hrs. I had looked at a few Baja boats, this is the first Donzi I have looked at. I havent had much luck getting some type of blue book price or another boat on the market similiar to this year and model. I would appreciate anyfeed back. IN the next week or so, the owner and I will take it out for a run on the lake.

1996 Donzi 28ZX,Beautiful 1996 Donzi 28ZX High performance boat with inside cabin and a/c. 2005 updated upholstery. 2004 McClain Trailer included. Lots of amenities including twin electric bolster seats, 502 Magnum engine, 425 HP motor, through-hole silent choice exhaust system, Bravo one outdrive with Mirage stainless steel prop, K-plates with trim tabs, dual batteries with onboard charging system and Sony stereo system.This is a head-turning boat. $19995, 2102641327

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1996-Donzi-28ZX-97400631

thanks,
Mike

WifeHatesMyDonzi
09-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Welcome, good to have you with us. There 's a ton of useful info here to help with your purchase, and of course we will be hopeful that you choose a Donzi.
My 1st thought after seeing the ad is that this model does not have the stepped hull. If you want the stepped hull you will have to move forward a couple of years.

LKSD
09-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Correct, it is a non step hull, You need to get into the later 90's to get the ventilated hull. Which could be faster & more fuel efficent. Both are good hulls, but the one with the step would be a little quicker. Donzi is a well made boat.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
09-21-2010, 07:42 AM
I have owned both a step and non step.

The non-step has a better ride. It runs bow up and cuts the chop better. They are a little heavier too. They also turn and handle better.

The step is a little faster. Not so much at lower speeds. Once you get to 75 and up it makes a bigger difference.

Both great hulls.

glashole
09-21-2010, 07:55 AM
doubt the non step with a single will get close to 75

The Hedgehog
09-21-2010, 08:50 AM
doubt the non step with a single will get close to 75
Not without boost.. Twin 350's with step hull don't either for that matter. Technically the boat is a 27ZX. The 28 ZX did not come out until 98. They did not get any longer, they just changed the name. I had one of the last non step made and Tex had one of the 1st Twin steps.

MAW71
09-21-2010, 07:09 PM
thanks for the info, but you will have to excuse my ignorance, I'm not quite understanding the "Stepped Hull" if I could get some help on this one.

Also, other than this issue, what are your thoughts on the boat itself. I feel the performance should suit me fine just starting out. The current owner tells me she screams at about 65-68mph and is really smooth going across the lake.

Jamie,
I was checking out your web page, their seems to be plenty of performance mods to do on these boats, this boat is completely stock right now. Later on down the road if I did want to increase the performance, what would you reccomend?

Thanks and I look forward to being a fellow Donzi Owner soon!!

Mike:boat:

The Hedgehog
09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
This pic is shows steps. They generate turbulence in the surface and keep the hull from sticking to the water. The faster you run, the more they tend to help.

The same thing will happen if you run in a chop and it is why you go faster in that type of water.

I have seen a few iterations of the step and non-step ZX hull. Some seem to be laid up (ie more fiberglass) than others. Weight is a major factor.

65 mph is optimistic on a heavy 27ZX hull. They run more like 58-60. The extra 5 mph often comes from as speedo error. That is the difference between pitot and GPS (the real number). I have surprised a number of 80 mph boats with my 70 (GPS) mph X-18.

The 27ZX runs smooth and loves a bunch of power.

Schnook
09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the site. If it's your first performance boat then the 27ZX is an excellent choice. It's really well mannered and easy to drive, lots of room to work in the engine compt with a single. MAKE SURE you get an independent survey and sea trial before even thinking about buying, and don't be afraid to ask questions until you're completely satisfied with the answers. Are you stationed in S.A.? With a boat like that you'll probably want to spend some time on Lake Travis. Go Spurs Go!
p.s. don't forget to check out the trailer, too.

LKSD
09-22-2010, 09:23 AM
thanks for the info, but you will have to excuse my ignorance, I'm not quite understanding the "Stepped Hull" if I could get some help on this one.

Also, other than this issue, what are your thoughts on the boat itself. I feel the performance should suit me fine just starting out. The current owner tells me she screams at about 65-68mph and is really smooth going across the lake.

Jamie,
I was checking out your web page, their seems to be plenty of performance mods to do on these boats, this boat is completely stock right now. Later on down the road if I did want to increase the performance, what would you reccomend?

Thanks and I look forward to being a fellow Donzi Owner soon!!

As far as realistic speed I would listen more to hedge hog. That is where they usually run.. A stock one running upwards of 70 is kind of a pipe dream or a jazzed up speedo.. ;)

That aside, you can push em faster, but you will need more power. So you will either need to work you engine further, or re-power. Depending on how the engine truly is and how much power you want to gain or need to gain you have a few options. You can either just do some engine enhancements if all is well, or if it is tired you may want to repower completely. Also there is the question of to boost or not to boost..

One other thing I didnt see in th pics is external hydraulic steering. You will want that if you want to go fast.. I did see planes which is a plus.. :) Also if you up the power you will usually need to reprop.. ;)

Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
09-22-2010, 05:55 PM
The best thing I did was to buy a procharger from Jamie. If the engine has low hours, it is the best bang for the buck.

The boat is so stable that it won't chine walk at 70 or so. If you start running 75 or so, you will want the steering. You can start with add on and then up the ante.

Good luck with the madness.

LKSD
09-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks Hedge.. :)

I actually do not offer ProCharger's products anymore. I did have very good success with them for many years. However around 2 years ago I called it quits with them. I had too many shipping issues with them & they we not keeping up to date with stuff in the marine industry. Therefore I saw no reason to continue going forward.

I do offer other units though for marine & auto applications such as whipple, vortech, blower shop etc.... So there are still options out there from me for boost.. :)

:) Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks Hedge.. :)
I actually do not offer ProCharger's products anymore. I did have very good success with them for many years. However around 2 years ago I called it quits with them. I had too many shipping issues with them & they we not keeping up to date with stuff in the marine industry. Therefore I saw no reason to continue going forward.
I do offer other units though for marine & auto applications such as whipple, vortech, blower shop etc.... So there are still options out there from me for boost.. :)
:) Jamie / Lakeside

I don't blame you for dropping them. They have a hard time putting the right equip in the box. The right instruction manual as well! They have a decent product though.

LKSD
09-24-2010, 08:59 AM
True, It is one thing when you have installed many & know what the differences are, as well as the "how to" about them.. Not good, but more manageable.

However it is not cool for sure when you have stuff that is drop shipped like that and the customer only has general knowledge about them and is relying on that stuff to be correct along with the correct manual..

When that starts to be a trend, it is time to give it a rest & leave on a high note rather than end up pushing it to the point that something really gets fubar'd..

As I mentioned earlier it wasn't a component quality issue that caused me to pull the plug, however who knows what the last 2 years has been like for them.. Shipping issues & lack of new kits for newer models was enough for me..

It is a shame though as they kind of had a nice offering in the market for a good stretch.. :) J

MAW71
09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
This is good information from everyone. I need to get educated before I make any serious decisions. The owner and I plan to take the boat out this weekend on Cayon Lake so I can see how she runs. The guy selling seems like a straight forward kinda guy, he's in no rush to sell the boat.

I just recently moved to San Antonio and am getting a feel for the area. I've had independent inspections done on cars that i have purchased in the past, will a boat dealer/service dept do an independent inspection on a boat not being sold at their dealer to check over? What would something like that cost maybe $100?? I'll talk to the owner about this, I need to find a dealer that I can trust in the area. I have not been to any dealers in the San Antonio area since my arrivial.

I do work on Ft Sam, my wife and I are both Army, I plan to retire in about 2 years. If anyone knows a good shop in the San Antonio area that I can take this boat to I would appreciate it.

thanks,

The Hedgehog
09-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Any good boat mechanic can do it. At least one with a little performance experience. You will want them to scan the ECU, check out the drive and do a leak down. I recommend taking a moisture meter to the hull and stringers.

Take a GPS with you on the ride. If run runs an honest 60 and has good oil pressure, you probably have a good engine.

fasttrucker
09-28-2010, 01:10 PM
This donzi looks clean and its priced right.Buy it.

The Hedgehog
09-28-2010, 11:10 PM
I liked the way they rigged the interior on some of the older ZX's better. My older boat had cockpit drains that here through hull and you could pop off access panels in the cabin interior to run wires. It can be challenging to rig stuff in the newer ZX's. I like the older fairings too.

MAW71
09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm going to run some of these questions by the owner and look around for a mechanic to do an inspection. By what you guys are telling me, this ZX would be a good starter boat for me, easy to drive well mannered, etc. I dont need a rocket in the water just a boat that picks up some decent speed and has a nice rumble, that you can have some fun in.

How do you guys feel about the price, does it seem right on?? I havent found any similiar models online to compare the price to. Most of the Donzi's I have seen on-line are a few years newer with a very high price tag.

fasttrucker
09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Offer him $15,000. and its a steal.Settle for $17500 and its a deal.Full price is ok!.Have the motor checked out,dont forget the drive.

MAW71
09-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Fast,

I was thinking the same on the price, I'm not sure how much he will move on the price. I dont believe he has had any other inquires on the boat. I'm going to look around for a good mechanic to check the motor and drive.

thanks for the input.

:boat:

fasttrucker
09-30-2010, 02:36 PM
looks like original exhaust,so count on replacing it soon.