PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive question

T/T Treehouse
09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Hello,
I've been having some trouble with my outdrive. I have a 08' 18c w/ the 350mag & alpha one drive. I've been through two outdrives in the last 70 hours & the linkage is grinding again. My question is should I fix my Alpha drive? or switch to a Bravo drive? My concerns in switiching to the bravo are a loss of speed & the holes in the transom not matching. Any input is most appreciated, Thank you.

fogducker III
09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Hello,
I've been having some trouble with my outdrive. I have a 08' 18c w/ the 350mag & alpha one drive. I've been through two outdrives in the last 70 hours & the linkage is grinding again. My question is should I fix my Alpha drive? or switch to a Bravo drive? My concerns in switiching to the bravo are a loss of speed & the holes in the transom not matching. Any input is most appreciated, Thank you.

What do you mean by `linkage grinding`:confused: Two drives in that period of time tells me something is not set-up correctly.....

If you went Bravo I believe the transom cut outs are the same.....

mrfixxall
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Hello,

your shift cable is misadjusted,with out the boat running put it into forward gear,go to the out drive and spin the prop and listen to the ratcheting sound that the dog clutch makes..now put it into reverse,spin the prop and listen toy the ratcheting sound again and feel how hard its ratcheting, it should be equal feel and noise..If its not then adjust the cable accordingly..turn the cable a little at a time until you get it even..

LKSD
09-18-2010, 09:09 AM
The Alpha may not be set up right for shifting. However the Bravo is a better stronger drive. The cut out is the same, but you may have to drill 2 more stud holes to convert to a Bravo transom assembly. Also you will need a sea pump & a shift bracket. A good upgrade, but it does cost some coin to do.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

MOP
09-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Just a thought! Do you slip it into gear or do you snap it into gear? If you are being a nice guy and slip it into gear you are slowly killing it! All clutch dog drives should snapped into gear quickly, if you hear the gears clicking as you shift into gear you are rounding off the clutch dogs which in short order will have the drive slipping out of gear at speed. The switch to a bravo needs thought, I did it and in no uncertain terms regret it $$$ wise and speed wise. You will need a drive, transom shield, sea pump and complete engine removal, cost me near 8K. For 8K you can buy about six SIE drives that have 3 year guarantees, I wish I had gone that route rather than listening to the bravado! My old used Alpha setup went on to my kids 24 Searay cabin boat that weighs twice what my 22 does, so far he has near 500 hours on it being an avid fishing nut you tell me I did not waste my $$$$$$$$$!!!!

MOP
09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Added note the 30 foot Sonic that just finished and won the Don Aronow around Long Island had small blocks and SS Alphas not Bravos!

Carl C
09-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Added note the 30 foot Sonic that just finished and won the Don Aronow around Long Island had small blocks and SS Alphas not Bravos!
:eek::eek::eek:

T/T Treehouse
09-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I would like to think all of you for responding, I'm fixing the linkage(it needed adjusting) and most likely rebuilding my drive, I looked into the Bravo and after weighing the options i don't want to spend that kind of money right now. Thank you again -Trey