PDA

View Full Version : shelby engine hatch

Zinger
09-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm looking for a shelby hatch or scoop for my 22 . I talked with donzi they don't have the mold any more. The person at donzi told me that its been almost a year since they made a 22 classic .

Marlin275
09-14-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm looking for a shelby hatch or scoop for my 22 . I talked with donzi they don't have the mold any more. The person at donzi told me that its been almost a year since they made a 22 classic .

that is sad . . .

why do they always throw the molds away?
the X-18 molds
and the best hatch scoop ever designed . . .

ask Jamie
he'll make you one . . .

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17173&d=1136935027

CHACHI
09-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Jeff, what are you dropping on the top of you motor?

Ken

LKSD
09-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Yes, most boat companies don't keep much anymore. Especially once the run is done of a particular thing. I can make hatches, scoops, hatches with scoops or morph them... But as one can imagine they do have a cost associated with them to do. ;) J

craigdskilling
11-28-2010, 08:44 AM
I like how the shelby hatch looks.I had a new motor put in this year and had to cut the hatch to fit for now.I started looking into car mustang fiber glass hoods some look.type hood scoops and go to next tag and look at the shelby hoods tell me what you think.craig

Carl C
11-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Summit Racing has a lot of hood scoops and many are fiberglass. I can vouch for Summit. I've used them a lot. It would be a lot cheaper to glass in a scoop and have it painted. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Hood-Scoops/

This one might work for example: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-475004/

seano
11-28-2010, 11:01 AM
That's a cool idea Carl! I like this one....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-475003/

Carl C
11-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I like the Harwood ones which look a lot like the Teague scoop.

GBond
11-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Interesting thread...I too, would like to purchase a new unfinished shelby hatch.

craigdskilling
11-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Anybody know a good body/painter looks like there mite be a few shelby hoods to do,maybe we could get a deal if we all went to the same place.I now i'm in.:nilly::nilly:

LKSD
11-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Anybody know a good body/painter looks like there mite be a few shelby hoods to do,maybe we could get a deal if we all went to the same place.I now i'm in.:nilly::nilly:

Sure.. I know someone very capable.. ;) Jamie

fogducker III
11-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Sure.. I know someone very capable.. ;) Jamie

So what would a custom "Shelby" scoop cost to place on a stock Classic hood?

DannyK
11-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Donzidirect.com now has them listed on their page for 22s, so apparently they didn't toss the mold afterall.

LKSD
11-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Jeremy,

I give pricing estimates by phone for things like this for numerous reasons. Pricing depends on a many things.

Those that may be interested can feel free to call me during the daytime to go over their needs and pricing estimates based on those needs.

A scoop can be done to just about any hatch.

As far as things to consider that affect pricing:

Would I be adding a scoop to an existing hatch? or would I be popping a new custom hatch and scoop?

If I am adding a scoop to a hatch, is it a new hatch that I am producing, or is it the existing hatch from your boat.

If it is the existing hatch from your boat, do I have repairs to the hatch that need to be done first?

Also What scoop variation would be we using?

Would I be modifying a scoop further for extra clearance of any sort?

Also would I be leaving the hatch raw (unpainted/unfinished) for you to paint or gel? Or would I be painting or gel coating? Would I be painting to match the existing colors?

What colors would it be painted? Different colors and finishes can affect pricing as well...

There are many things I can do & they all affect price.. Unfortunately there really is not always a one price fits all..

:) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

GBond
11-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey Donzi/Josh,

Any input on this thread?

PM's are fine....:biggrin:

Thanks in advance

LKSD
11-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Maybe this may help or food for thought anyway until Josh gets back to you.. ;)

I was actually making some small talk with my rep from Donzi today & I asked if they were going to offer that hatch or not.

He said that supposedly they would & that if I needed one that it could currently be ordered, at least for now, but it would take a while if someone wanted one.

A friendly FYI in general. Regardless of of buying an OEM, aftermarket or custom hatch from me or anyone else it is not a 2 week turn around or a few hundred dollar item.. :)

I will say the least expensive way to usually get a custom hatch or custom look is when one does the work them self and uses a prefab hatch add on like the ones mentioned above earlier and reinforce them or modify them further.

The problem however with that is time & expertise, and required materials still have a cost involved. Obviously not everyone is up to the task of building their own or they must find a good glass work shop near them. ;)

I hope this helps :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Marlin275
11-30-2010, 06:06 PM
This is the hatch you want!
forget those car proportions

if you got da Shelby hatch
you got the best
it is mean
and beautiful . . .

now someone
needs to size it down
for an 18 . . .

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60055&d=1291161872

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60056&d=1291161872

GBond
11-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Thank you Jamie, Those darn Donzi reps....Okay, can anyone source the vendor of the scoop? Be a great, no pressure, winter project for a couple of us here on the board.

Hope, it's not top secret :biggrin:

Gary

Marlin275
11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Okay, can anyone source the vendor of the scoop?
Be a great, no pressure, winter project for a couple of us here on the board.
Hope, it's not top secret :biggrin:
Gary

Track em down . . .
its worth it

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60059&stc=1&d=1291163134

LKSD
12-01-2010, 07:05 AM
No problem & you are welcome Gary... ;)

Now as far as the Factory scoop / hatch If my memory is correct it is all one piece. The scoop is part of the mold that the hatch it self is formed in. The scoop part of it is not something sold separately that they add when creating a new one. Donzi builds that hatch in house, it is not bought from a vendor per say.. At least last I was told this week..

I also do most of our aftermarket ones in a mold too, unless there is a bigger deviation for one reason or another that needs to be done differently for some reason.

As mentioned earlier, I can get scoops separately that are similar that can be made to work. I have also installed aftermarket scoops before. It can be made into all one unit, but again it gets a little labor intense..

:) Jamie / Lakeside

GBond
12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Thank you. Just based on the pictures...the scoop does appear to be molded as one unit so to speak. Anyone know for sure?

LKSD
12-01-2010, 10:07 AM
As far as I know that hatch from them & the others they make for the classics are made in one piece. At least that is unless they changed something very very recently for some screwy reason.

There really is no reason to not make it in one piece if you are going to build that part more than a couple times. Otherwise it would only use up more materials & time to do it any other way. If nothing else, In a production type setting it would not usually be cost effective to do it differently, also there is no quality draw back to building this way.

If you were to watch one being built it is almost like building a boat in a mold.

Trust me, with Over 15 plus years in biz and dealing with Donzi and other boat lines for many years as well, I can say it is pretty much the norm with that type of part. :)

;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations