PDA

View Full Version : Jumper Hose

ta2dfyrman
09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Well I went ahead and got the cast iron manifolds and risers to replace the somewhat rusted ones I have. I guess I was curious if it was benficial to add jumper hose? I understand the way the flow goes through there now, but wasnt sure if there might be benifit to adding those also? I ran a little hot enough to partially burn up internal flapper on starboard(post mereplacing offcourse) . So next move is impellar that hasnt been done in couple years.

LKSD
09-15-2010, 07:02 AM
If you manifold to riser has the pass thru ports in them and the riser to manifold gasket then you dont need to use a jumper hose. Also an old, worn or broken impeller can certainly cause an engine to run hot or over heat.. They are supposed to be done about every 2-3 years & sometimes sooner in certain conditions.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

ta2dfyrman
09-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jamie. Well new risers and manifolds on. Haha still running hot through manifolds and tips. Low water output. Motor isn't hot on temp guage. I guess on to impellar replacing and check thermostat housing.

joseph m. hahnl
09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks Jamie. Well new risers and manifolds on. Haha still running hot through manifolds and tips. Low water output. Motor isn't hot on temp guage. I guess on to impellar replacing and check thermostat housing.

It's always good to replace the impeller:yes:. But also remember the water coming out of the exhaust tips will always be hot,as it is passing through 1200F to 1300F exhaust gas:kaioken:. With out the water in the exhaust stream you would have a puddle of rubber that would have formally been the hose that connected the risers to the tips:splat:

mrfixxall
09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
check and see if you have a oil cooler,it could be plugged up with crap restricting the water flow

ta2dfyrman
09-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Well waiting on mechanic to call me back and set up changing impellar. I might watch first time and attempt myself after that. Well my only problem is I'm not even getting much of a trickle of water. Fixx I am not to sure about oil cooler. I wouldn't know what to do to see if lines are clogged and exactly where it is? Guess I can get him to check that out when he does impellar? Thanks for the help guys.

mrfixxall
09-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Well waiting on mechanic to call me back and set up changing impellar. I might watch first time and attempt myself after that. Well my only problem is I'm not even getting much of a trickle of water. Fixx I am not to sure about oil cooler. I wouldn't know what to do to see if lines are clogged and exactly where it is? Guess I can get him to check that out when he does impellar? Thanks for the help guys.

follow the 1 1/4'' hose coming from the transom,the oil cooler is either on the port side under the exhaust manifold next to the block or on the back of the engine just below the distributor..it will have either 2 or 4 hoses coming out of it, 1 set for the power steering and the other for the engines oil. most only had 2 hoses for the power steering..

LKSD
09-16-2010, 07:21 AM
The other advice that the other members gave is also good and wise to check at this point.. Also some manifolds do get sort of hot depending on the casting, brand etc.. But they should not be overly hot where it could melt anything..

Also depending on what T stat you have, Hot water going into hot manifolds can allow them to be relatively hot to the touch on some of these things.. ;)

You could take a IR Thermometer & shoot them & the engine with it to do a comparison. You can also check for hot spots and cool spots. If you have a restriction it can also help you pin point it.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside