PDA

View Full Version : Rescued Mag sports

scippy
09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
It is complete!...............The last of the 2 Mag sports that had been sitting in chadwick isl. marina (Jersey) for the past several years has been loaded on a trailer and is now in tow back to Mich. Parnell left early this morning after spending the nite at my house to complete this marathon of a trip. When he arrives back home in Mich. he would have compiled a total of 3200+ miles and 56 hours behind the wheel to rescue 2 Magnum sports in very tired shape, one of them noteably "Plum Crazy" far from her glory days, but will survive once again to crush some waves thanks to Parnell.

catch 22
09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Any pics of the mags

gcarter
09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Does this qualify P to to join some sort of club?

Sweet Cheekz
09-15-2010, 08:16 AM
How about the broke, tired dumb ass club? I think I have taken over the presidency. They are home safe and sound and now the hard work begins
Thanks for everything Scippy!

Parnell

Just Say N20
09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Parnell, you are a glutton!

Do you have some kind of personal rule that you have to have a couple of projects "in-the-wings" at all times?

Now that the GT21 is running, I thought you were going to work on the 27 Magnum you already own.

Apparently you just can't get enough of that fiberglass itch :yes:.

Sweet Cheekz
09-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Catch Pics are in the 2 mags one lake thread.

Bill I'm not sure what I've done but I like having things to consider while I spend hours grinding away I may actually start on this "center counsel" boat first with a few interesting twists and turns I have concocted The blue one is still the primo one of the three but she may sit for a while.
Parnell

BTW The 21 is a ways from being done lots of details before an April trip to Florida and then AOTH

Sweet Cheekz
09-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Got her inside and drilled a few holes to drain the pool I had in the boat. From the looks of it she has been a pool for a few years! I have spent the last week getting some new dollies built and the boats off the trailers Clean up starts this weekend but already I can tell there is a few bulkheads coming out. Lots of work ahead on the old Plum Crazy

Parnell

MDonziM
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey Parnell,

I'm curious what the center stringer does between the two bulkheads that are close together in the 3rd pic. Cant quite see, does it cut down low? Does it look to be in orig. shape?

Thanks - Marshall

Sweet Cheekz
09-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Marshall It drops down and is in decent shape All three of them have the same style stringer there. The stringers appear to be ok in this boat Almost all the bulkhead have to go and anywhere he cut wood open its rotten. Unfortunately he cut a lot of bulkheads
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey Guys
Any thoughts on how to figure out where to stick the tanks on this thing? I can move them as far back as the front of the rear seat to all the way forward to where the forward tanks go. Any suggestions or thoughts Gonna have twin OB 's
Thanks
Parnell

scippy
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey Guys
Any thoughts on how to figure out where to stick the tanks on this thing? I can move them as far back as the front of the rear seat to all the way forward to where the forward tanks go. Any suggestions or thoughts Gonna have twin OB 's
Thanks
Parnell

Hey P,

I don't think the "main" fuel tank placement should be anywhere but in the factory designated place "foward of first bulkhead cabin area" all other tanks added after this point should be balanced -or- counter-balanced from this position. I don't believe the CG would change because it's a CC now. In fact, more foward placement would counter act the loss of deck above. 2 OB's on a flotation bracket or a tubular Gil bracket I don't think would change a thing concerning "main tank placement" in fact it might be perfect placement considering how stern heavy a sport appears w/ twin in-boards...........just a guess though!

MDonziM
09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Parnell,

I agree with skippy. I think that since the ob's hang off the back I would start with the standard fuel tank location and depending on the floor height etc. Maby have a center tank in the old eng comp? Mine rides/ jumps real flat, havn't gotten the bow real high yet. Thats with figure~2k lbs of eng/drives. If you have 1000 lbs less, a 75-100 gal tank aft would be 400-500 lbs. I dont know what kind of range you are looking for but 150 to 200 gal would be enough I would think. Maby 2 50gals aft. and 2 50 gals in the standard spot...

Marshall

HIGH LIFE
09-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Parnell, On my 27 SEDAN I have 2- 50 gal tanks under cockpit floor & 2- 32 gal. tanks behind them, 164 gal total. Have twin 300X motors on a Stainless Marine bracket set back 18"... works perfect. "HIGH LIFE"

Sweet Cheekz
09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
HL
Boat fly level off waves? Not transom heavy? What kind of range does the boat have? Also what did you do about transferring fuel between forawrd and rear tanks? Thanks
Parnell

BTW Ever come up with any pics of your boat Looking forward to seeing them particularily the transom bracket

Sweet Cheekz
09-24-2010, 08:13 AM
HL
Do your rear tanks sit all the way back by the transom?
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Parnell,

. If you have 1000 lbs less, a 75-100 gal tank aft would be 400-500 lbs. I dont know what kind of range you are looking for but 150 to 200 gal would be enough I would think. Maby 2 50gals aft. and 2 50 gals in the standard spot...

Marshall

I think this might be the way to go but I don't think its a 1000lb of savings The ob's are 600lbs each and the bracket has to be a few hundred pounds minimum. I think its more like 500lb savings 200 gallons would be big range I would think.

Parnell

dammmagnum
09-24-2010, 01:51 PM
HL
Do your rear tanks sit all the way back by the transom?
Parnell

Hello Parnell,

When I had the Plum Crazy
I had the standard twin 50 gal tanks under the cabin floor and two 20 gal tanks under the cockpit floor sitting against the engine bulkhead and it would fly level.

if that helps any?

Thank you
Jim

HIGH LIFE
09-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Parnell, My boat flies perfect ! Re: transom heavy, replacing the twin I/O with O/B saves app. 900# with full gas in rear tanks. I have 6" of clearance from rear of tank to transom, 2 bilge pumps in front of drain plug. As for range my motors burn app. 45 GPH @ 4,500 RPM & 60 GPH @ 6,800 RPM !!! I rigged the lines on 1 side to a "Y" fitting and have ball valves that I switch manually, located just before the bulb. Call me for further discussion...781-844-8082 cell or home 781-740-0852 Michael "HIGH LIFE"

HIGH LIFE
09-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Parnell, I'm computer stupid, I'll see if I can get help to post pics. "HIGH LIFE"

HIGH LIFE
09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Parnell, Just spent 45 min. finding this picture. It's on OSO, post is on page 4, Saden or Maltese by Len S, pic of my MAGNUM. "HIGH LIFE"

Sweet Cheekz
09-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks Guys
Michael How far forward do your rear tanks go? Just to the little bilkhead that the batteries are mounted too?
I believe I have figured out what I am going to do now Thanks for the help guys
Parnell

HIGH LIFE
09-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Parnell, The rear gas tanks are located against the engine bulkhead right behind the tanks under the cockpit floor. 164 gal total. "HIGH LIFE"

scippy
09-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Hey P, My friend here will try and run the reg. # off the first Mag you picked up, I'll check with him next week to see what he comes up with ..................How's those boat dolly's comin' along?...........pic??

Sweet Cheekz
09-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks Scippy All the boats are now on dollies and I am finishing tenting off my spaces so I can get grinding I have a good plan now formulated for Plum crazy Its going to be very unusual but hopefully respectful of its previous glory
Let me know if you get that hull nbumber Thanks
Parnell

Greg Guimond
09-26-2010, 08:48 AM
I am still completely confused as to whose boats these are, how many are actually undergoing restoration, and what the final configs will be but what the heck, weedeaters are popping up left, right, and (maybe) center!

Better plan on some extra modification like Pic 1 to the transoms though, regardless of what looks to be good today. If you want to have infinite adjustability for both performance, upkeep, and shallow water exploration, take a look at the unit in Pic 2. They can be built to take up to quads and are semi custom. I am converting an I/O now and have looked into them instead of a fixed Armstrong.

smidgen too
09-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Hello Parnell,

When I had the Plum Crazy
I had the standard twin 50 gal tanks under the cabin floor and two 20 gal tanks under the cockpit floor sitting against the engine bulkhead and it would fly level.

if that helps any?

Thank you
Jim
My Mag had 4 tanks also but I believe my rear tanks were around 30 gallons each. When she wasnt in a race the rear tanks were only used, I just like the way she felt when I used the rear tanks. Mark h2o

Sweet Cheekz
09-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I am still completely confused as to whose boats these are, how many are actually undergoing restoration, and what the final configs will be but what the heck, weedeaters are popping up left, right, and (maybe) center!

Better plan on some extra modification like Pic 1 to the transoms though, regardless of what looks to be good today. If you want to have infinite adjustability for both performance, upkeep, and shallow water exploration, take a look at the unit in Pic 2. They can be built to take up to quads and are semi custom. I am converting an I/O now and have looked into them instead of a fixed Armstrong.

Hey Greg
I am starting on a 27 that had the deck cut off and am going to put two 300's on it Either Etec's or Verado's Its going to have an open bow and be rather unusual but very practical. My other two 27's will be small blocks and bravo's down the road. Give me some more info on that bracket if you don't mind. Ugly but the adjustability sounds nice. I think I have the rear tanks designed and I mapped off where to put them in the rear of the boat. 7-9"'s from the transom which should leave me the room I need for all that hardware in your pic. Looks like those tanks would be about 25 gallons each. Now I have to decide to put the bigger tanks under the cockpit floor or forward of the dash or a combo of both. All bulkheads are coming out so I can reinstall them as needed dictated by the placement of the forward tanks. Floor height is really what I'm considering right now.

Mark I assume your boat had the rear tanks under the cockpit floor? Mine will be almost all the way back as Michael suggested but the other ones are now the real question
Thanks
Parnell

BTW Greg They are now mine

smidgen too
09-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Parnell mine were back to the engine bulkhead, as I had the floor cut out foot wells under the standup seats. This pic of this Clem Gem [Aero Mag copy] was a great race boat, & won many races. It had rear tanks only & was stearn heavy as you can see in this pic, but she flew great. I dont think the weight will hurt you. Mark

Hey Greg
I am starting on a 27 that had the deck cut off and am going to put two 300's on it Either Etec's or Verado's Its going to have an open bow and be rather unusual but very practical. My other two 27's will be small blocks and bravo's down the road. Give me some more info on that bracket if you don't mind. Ugly but the adjustability sounds nice. I think I have the rear tanks designed and I mapped off where to put them in the rear of the boat. 7-9"'s from the transom which should leave me the room I need for all that hardware in your pic. Looks like those tanks would be about 25 gallons each. Now I have to decide to put the bigger tanks under the cockpit floor or forward of the dash or a combo of both. All bulkheads are coming out so I can reinstall them as needed dictated by the placement of the forward tanks. Floor height is really what I'm considering right now.

Mark I assume your boat had the rear tanks under the cockpit floor? Mine will be almost all the way back as Michael suggested but the other ones are now the real question
Thanks
Parnell

BTW Greg They are now mine

dammmagnum
09-26-2010, 11:21 PM
My Mag had 4 tanks also but I believe my rear tanks were around 30 gallons each. When she wasnt in a race the rear tanks were only used, I just like the way she felt when I used the rear tanks. Mark h2o

Hello Mark

I would use the read tanks for getting out to the race site and then the milling around and then switch to the front tanks
I only put the 20 gals in as I had dropped the floor also and tanks sat between the floor drop area and the engine bulkhead
Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Started cutting and cleaning up today This boat is a real mess One example although there are plenty more to come
Parnell

smidgen too
09-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Started cutting and cleaning up today This boat is a real mess One example although there are plenty more to come
Parnell
Parnell you dont have to fell alone, look what I found in the transom of the Donzi Doral that bought last spring. :bonk: The Donzi had a inner glass liner that hid all the rot & mouse nest that were there.:nilly: I was going to use this boat for parts for the Magnum sedan but I couldnt let you guys have all the fun.:boggled: I believe this was the Donzi that was used for the catalog & was a race boat here on Great Lakes, she is just to cool to be cut up and trashed.:yes: Mark

OFFSHORE GINGER
09-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Parn gave you a call today and will try tomorrow you were breaking up way to much on my end ...............Artie

Sweet Cheekz
09-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Mark
Glad to see I am not alone What the heck its only a little rot. I thought of using it for wood chips at my house.

No problem Artie

Parnell

smidgen too
09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Mark
Glad to see I am not alone What the heck its only a little rot. I thought of using it for wood chips at my house.

No problem Artie

Parnell
Wood chips, GREAT Idea, I have two five gallon buckets full of mulch.:doh: Now thats what you call recyling. :blub:

Sweet Cheekz
09-28-2010, 11:51 AM
By the time I'm done we can have enough together for a whole yard

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
More quality woodworking

scippy
10-02-2010, 09:30 PM
More quality woodworking

P, Is that the side compartment storage under the gunwale in the cockpit?.......... I just removed that section in my boat as well as the 2 outboard stringers and cut 7" from the keel stringer in the cockpit. Are you lowering the floor in CC as you did in "Maggie"..........I have to get some pictures up soon. P, just waiting on the the neighbor (cop) to come back with some info on the Jersey Reg.......I gave it to him a week ago. Did you send Bud the side grille vents yet?

Sweet Cheekz
10-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi Scippy
It is the side area a real mess but soon to be completely gone.

I packed them up and will send them Monday. I do want to lower the floor but I have not figured out exactly what to do about my tanks so in the next week or so I will decide and begin cutting

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
lightening her up

scippy
10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I do want to lower the floor but I have not figured out exactly what to do about my tanks so in the next week or so I will decide and begin cutting
Parnell

P, Where did Magnum place the fuel tanks when they turned out their own 27 CC?...........I'm sure alot of thought went into it.

HIGH LIFE
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
scippy, Very good question ! There was a 27 CC for sale on the MAGNUM site on OSO , page 19 ( I think ) dated 4-17-07 has pictures, look like the fuel fills are located in the same area as my 27 SEDAN. "HIGH LIFE"

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Scippy i see you were asking about blueprinting the bottom of your hull on OSO and to tell you the truth every Mag i have ever owned has had a hook in the bottom of the hull along with the lifting strakes which i have always removed along with making the strakes on the running surface very sharp like Skaters and just to get a general idea on how straight your bottom really is i would suggest getting a nice piece of Aluminum stock which i think you already have and using it for a straight edge to check the bottom out . Scippy , blueprinting the bottom of your mag could possibly give you some good gains as far as speed goes and once again if you decide to give this a shot we can talk you thru the whole process which is a walk in the park .

HIGH LIFE
10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I read that Roger Munn did a couple and they gained 7-8 mph. Looks like I may be busy this winter. "HIGH LIFE"

dammmagnum
10-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I read that Roger Munn did a couple and they gained 7-8 mph. Looks like I may be busy this winter. "HIGH LIFE"

Roger did my Sport's bottom and it was the cheapest gain in speed for me. It
was hard to judge the incease in speed from that alone as I also had Roger raise the drives 2 inches and added his power trim system at the same time.
all together the gain was about 7-9 mph.

Thank you
Jim

scippy
10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Considering my sport is not rigged yet, flipping the boat now after I get the transon done would be the next best step. Artie, was there a certain spot or place that you found the hook to be in that was simmular on all the sports that you've owned?.........wondering if this hook (since many have them) is built into the mold for a reason?.............knowing what is purposeful from the factory (as intended) is one thing, but a performance hindering defect .i.e, "hook" I would think serves no purpose.
Anyway, can't ignore the significant MPH increases after the bottom is trued.

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Considering my sport is not rigged yet, flipping the boat now after I get the transon done would be the next best step. Artie, was there a certain spot or place that you found the hook to be in that was simmular on all the sports that you've owned?.........wondering if this hook (since many have them) is built into the mold for a reason?.............knowing what is purposeful from the factory (as intended) is one thing, but a performance hindering defect .i.e, "hook" I would think serves no purpose.
Anyway, can't ignore the significant MPH increases after the bottom is trued.Scippy , the hook in my opinion on a Mag serves no purpose considering they are always in the area of the hulls running surface which means a scrap in speed and some worse then others . Scippy , i also would like to mention that having the boat on a roller trailer can effect a hulls bottom which i have seen on so many Mags including a sport that i purchased which was replaced with a bunk trailer after the bottom was gone over. Scippy , i have to say that raising the X a few inch's like Dammmagnum mentioned having done to his Sport would not be a bad idea considering it would be a cheap way to gain a little more speed along with blueprinting the bottom .

scippy
10-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Scippy , i have to say that raising the X a few inch's like Dammmagnum mentioned having done to his Sport would not be a bad idea considering it would be a cheap way to gain a little more speed along with blueprinting the bottom .

Both are good performance suggestions that I will likely do. Now, to the subject of flipping the boat for blueprinting, I've seen a few different methods on smaller boats. One in particular was having a plywood wheel attached to the transom while at the other end a cable was attached to the bow eye (not sure where the cable that hooked the bow eye was substanially afixed to though) causing the boat to pivot at both ends in order to slowly flip it. Don't know if this method would work with a 27 Magnum....................anybody done this before?

Greg Guimond
10-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Why does making the strakes 90 degree sharp at the ends better then radiused?

mphatc
10-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Scippy , the hook in my opinion on a Mag serves no purpose considering they are always in the area of the hulls running surface which means a scrap in speed and some worse then others . Scippy , i also would like to mention that having the boat on a roller trailer can effect a hulls bottom which i have seen on so many Mags including a sport that i purchased which was replaced with a bunk trailer after the bottom was gone over. Scippy , i have to say that raising the X a few inch's like Dammmagnum mentioned having done to his Sport would not be a bad idea considering it would be a cheap way to gain a little more speed along with blueprinting the bottom .
I need to differ here a bit for clarity .. .
Early Magnum 27s were apparently built differently than mid 70 vintage boats. Seems the lay up was much thicker and stronger on the early boats. Magnum changed the lay up again to a stronger lay up in the early 80s with new materials.
I know of 3 1968 hulls that have been on roller trailers, my own included that have straight bottoms and no hook or waves. I specifically checked this on mine this past summer when we stripped off the old bottom paint. 10' straight edge . . both sides, flat and straight . . I rebuilt the roller trailer and there it will stay!

I will be raising the drives 2" . . .
Mario L.

scippy
10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Now, to the subject of flipping the boat for blueprinting, I've seen a few different methods on smaller boats. One in particular was having a plywood wheel attached to the transom while at the other end a cable was attached to the bow eye (not sure where the cable that hooked the bow eye was substanially afixed to though) causing the boat to pivot at both ends in order to slowly flip it. Don't know if this method would work with a 27 Magnum....................anybody done this before?

I found these pics Matty supplied a couple of years ago when Paul H. was restorting his 19' Hornet. just wondering how big is too big for the "plywood wheel"

HIGH LIFE
10-16-2010, 07:37 PM
scippy, want me to come with 2- wheel loaders and flip you MAGNUM ! I use them all the time to take my boat off it's trailer. After looking at the DONZI your wheel has to be app. 9' in diameter. "HIGH LIFE"

scippy
10-16-2010, 10:49 PM
scippy, want me to come with 2- wheel loaders and flip you MAGNUM ! I use them all the time to take my boat off it's trailer. After looking at the DONZI your wheel has to be app. 9' in diameter. "HIGH LIFE"

2-Wheel loaders??......is that something like a fork lift?....not getting the picture on how it would be used to flip the Mag though. I'd say 9'+ considering it's almost a 8' beam...."the wheel" love the simplicity! ..........Michael, are you going to the Ct. river run on the 24th?

HIGH LIFE
10-17-2010, 09:46 AM
scippy, If the weather is good, worked on the boat last weekend , taking care of little items. Should be good to go ! I use the front end loaders w/ straps to lift the MAGNUM off the trailer, boat weighs app. 6K# easy lift with one on each end, both are CAT 950. I usually do this outside, not in a building. Your WHEEL idea looks good, on can you use 2 inside hoists, front and back ? "HIGH LIFE"

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Scippy , i noticed that you have been going to OSO in the fiberglass forum for information alot lately and to tell you the truth ...........i cannot figure out why you do not ask those same questions here on this forum and the reason being is because you will get some of the best info on this forum with mature answers other then some guy who now is an expert on how too....... because he read it somewhere on the internet . Scippy , i am on a lot of forums and to tell you the truth this site provides very good & sound information because most of the members have been there and done that as far as restoration projects go or general repairs .....considering...........that most of us on this forum are a bunch of old f**ks anyways . Scippy , i could care less where you go to get your information and like i said before i was just curious as to why you do not ask the same questions on this forum and seek the information that you are looking for somewhere else ?

scippy
10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Artie, I also seek information on Serious offshore, does that puzzle you also?

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Artie, I also seek information on Serious offshore, does that puzzle you also? No , because i could care less and to tell you the truth your name came up during a conversation on the phone with a member of OSO who is a (friend) and without mentioning any names ....i talk with this person on a month to month or weekly basis just to shoot the $hit ........ & Skippy , like i stated before i could really give a $hit and if you think i am puzzled ..... you seem to be the one asking all of the questions (glass dust &the grinder) or bouncing from one web site to another . Scippy heres one for yah..... if you are ready to have everything jammed down your throat considering alot of the members on this forum like myself get profesional Boatbuilder Mag which is the magazine for those working in design , construction ,and repair , go to www.boatdesign.net (http://www.boatdesign.net) and ask away .

Sweet Cheekz
10-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey Scippy

Did you put a straight edge on the bottom of your boat to see how it looked?
What did you do about flipping her?

Parnell

scippy
10-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Hey Scippy

Did you put a straight edge on the bottom of your boat to see how it looked?
What did you do about flipping her?

Parnell

Hey P, Long time!............I used a 6' aluminun framing square placed aganist the edge of the strakes and found no appreciable Hook or Rocker.
Of course, using a creeper to slide under the boat and hold a straight edge to the bottom is a little tricky for one person to do. Come this spring
I intend to take a better look when I flip the boat (haven't decided on what method yet to use though) I'll be prepping the bottom for paint or re-gel
anyway, so having the bottom right side will indicate if it needs blueprinting.

Sweet Cheekz
10-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Scippy

Sounds like you may have dodged a bullet It would be nice if you didnt have to go thru that!

Parnell

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Why does making the strakes 90 degree sharp at the ends better then radiused?Greg , sorry for the late reply and the reason being is less drag on the running surface which might not mean a whole lot to anyone else and to tell you the truth most of the people who come to me to have the bottom of there boat blueprinted insist on having the lifting strakes along there running surface very sharp like a Skater has.

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I need to differ here a bit for clarity .. .
Early Magnum 27s were apparently built differently than mid 70 vintage boats. Seems the lay up was much thicker and stronger on the early boats. Magnum changed the lay up again to a stronger lay up in the early 80s with new materials.
I know of 3 1968 hulls that have been on roller trailers, my own included that have straight bottoms and no hook or waves. I specifically checked this on mine this past summer when we stripped off the old bottom paint. 10' straight edge . . both sides, flat and straight . . I rebuilt the roller trailer and there it will stay!

I will be raising the drives 2" . . .
Mario L. Mario , good for you and glad to hear that your bottom is straight and true because most of the Mags that i have ever worked on or owned have had hooks in the bottom along the running surface . Mario,seeing that you are planing on raising the drives could you please keep us posted on your gain's ?

mphatc
10-19-2010, 08:35 PM
raising the drives was done by many racers "back in the day" with huge gains.
As one racer stated to me the boat not only will run quicker, and fly better.

My results will come next spring and summer, lots of changes between now and then.

Mario

Sweet Cheekz
11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Back on Plum Crazy
Got all the bulkheads out. Got the floor cut out where I am going to need it and almost have the whole front deal figured out. I do have the tanks figured out so this is my first real progress If you go back a couple of pages you can better tell the difference

Parnell

scippy
11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
P, Just the fact that you can stand up after some hard grinding makes me envious!......so, where have you decided on for fuel tank placement and size of tanks?.............Looking good Mr. P!

smidgen too
11-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Back on Plum Crazy
Got all the bulkheads out. Got the floor cut out where I am going to need it and almost have the whole front deal figured out. I do have the tanks figured out so this is my first real progress If you go back a couple of pages you can better tell the difference

Parnell
Just looking at your pics makes me itchyyyyyyyyy!!!! :nilly::nilly::nilly:

Sweet Cheekz
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Long sleeve shirts and full mask with head cover and so far no issues When I first started back on this I forgot the long sleeve shirt and itched for two days! How we forget so quickly. I really dont care for grinding but it is fun to see what it looks like when its done.

Scippy
2 In the engine room, looks to be about 30-35 each and two long under the floor which I am guessing at 30-35 also I am going to take one of my old ones and put it back in to get more accutrate measurements but intial guess is 125-150

Side note. Does anyone have an opinion on wether it is ok to fill the tank from the rear? With my cut down floor I really need to put the fills in the back. I can put the vents in the front but not the fills

Thanks
Parnell

smidgen too
11-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Long sleeve shirts and full mask with head cover and so far no issues When I first started back on this I forgot the long sleeve shirt and itched for two days! How we forget so quickly. I really dont care for grinding but it is fun to see what it looks like when its done.

Scippy
2 In the engine room, looks to be about 30-35 each and two long cut down ones under the floor which I am guessing at 45-55 I am going to take one of my old ones and put it back in to get more accutrate measurements but intial guess is 125-150

Side note. Does anyone have an opinion on wether it is ok to fill the tank from the rear? With my cut down floor I really need to put the fills in the back. I can put the vents in the front but not the fills

Thanks
Parnell
I also found that rubbing Talcum powder on my face, neck, arms first before I suit up helps too. I finished the Donzi Doral transom last week :party: before the weather changed, next spring I will finish her.
On my 29' Mirage, Donzi Doral the gas tank fill is at the rear. If you fill in the water you my lose some capacity. Mark

Conquistador_del_mar
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks
Parnell

Parnell,
My 27' Magnum sport has the fills at the back or low side of the tanks - these are under the cabin. As long as the vents are at the fronts, the tanks should fill all the way, leaving no air pockets. The only negative I can see is that the fill hoses will have constant contact with the fuel until enough fuel is used to drop the level below the fill hoses. Bill

Sweet Cheekz
11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Mark
I also put some baby powder on and it works well.

Thanks for the info on the tanks That really helps me out
Thanks
Parnell

MDonziM
11-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Scippy
2 In the engine room, looks to be about 30-35 each and two long under the floor which I am guessing at 30-35 also I am going to take one of my old ones and put it back in to get more accutrate measurements but intial guess is 125-150

Thanks
Parnell

Parnell,
I thought about the fill location on the tank too... in the water the tank is obviously not level but, as Bill said, the tanks are done that way from the factory, and my vent hose is 7/8 "inside im guessing and the fill hose is like 2 3/8'' which is huge and vents also.

Marshall

dammmagnum
11-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Scippy

Thanks
Parnell

Parnell,
I've used Tyvek one pcs coveralls that have elastic wrists and ankles, along with a hood.Some even have the foot/bootie attached and that makes it one pc from head to toes We used them in our clean rooms at work. they hold up pretty well and I have used them several times before they start to tear and you have to throw them out
They arer disposalable. To some degree they are almost water proof or mud proof. I've laid in wet mud under houses and it wasn't too bad.

you can buy them from $5.00 to 15.00 each.
Sure helps keep the itching down along with you and your clothes staying clean.

Nice progress on the Plum hull, Great to see it.

Thank you
jim

Sweet Cheekz
11-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks Jim
I do actually have them and use them when I get real serious or I am in confined places I found I had to buy triple x size so as not to rip them so fast but they are the cats meow. I have to sand off all the grey gelcoat or paint that is on top of the white gel coat in the engine room soon and I will bust out my new tyvek for that. I have cut out all the rot and have a pretty good game plan now Next few weeks of clean up then I am having a few of my "experts " over to consult on the one part that is really going to be a pita The forward deck part. All the core is rotted to the bone and has to come off I need to figure out the best way to relayup the 7-10"s of deck I am going to have around the forward seating area of the bow. Thats the one thing I am really not looking forward too.

Parnell

dammmagnum
11-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks Jim
I do actually have them and use them when I get real serious or I am in confined places I found I had to buy triple x size so as not to rip them so fast but they are the cats meow. I have to sand off all the grey gelcoat or paint that is on top of the white gel coat in the engine room soon and I will bust out my new tyvek for that. I have cut out all the rot and have a pretty good game plan now Next few weeks of clean up then I am having a few of my "experts " over to consult on the one part that is really going to be a pita The forward deck part. All the core is rotted to the bone and has to come off I need to figure out the best way to relayup the 7-10"s of deck I am going to have around the forward seating area of the bow. Thats the one thing I am really not looking forward too.

Parnell

Parnell,
Cool about using the Tyvek suits. I also have used the extra over size ones as it allows you so much more movement when you wear them.
i am sure that not having the boat covered for all those years and having so much of it cut up ,, it really made a mess and rotted it all.

Keep us posted and I will keep looking for more photos and info on her.
Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
11-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Got a little more accomplished Cut quit a few supports and fit them. A touch of grinding a little putty and they are ready to glass in
Small steps

Parnell

dammmagnum
11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Got a little more accomplished Cut quit a few supports and fit them. A touch of grinding a little putty and they are ready to glass in
Small steps

Parnell

Hello Parnell

Looks good

After getting into all the work you have done so far, how bad are/were the stringer/transom?

Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
11-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey Jim Thanks

The transom, I found out the other day is coming out completely. The wood was not real bad but some of the glass has delaminated and the repairs someone did to the exhaust holes is less than impressive. The stringers were fine except where the small area was cut out in the floor for lowering. That was left uncovered and has delaminated a little I cut down to where it stopped and the pic doesnt show it but I have new pieces cut and will glass them in. No worries.
The front bulkheads were all rotted from a pool of water sitting up against them and the fact they were all cut down and left exposed for 5 years. I have cut our every one of them and am starting over with those. What was left of the floor and those side panels in the cockpit was wood chips and its all gone. Lastly the deck is history, totally rotted and that is what I am struggling with now Not completely sure of how to redo that part. In fact I have my guy coming over tomorrow to try and help me get a game plan. I plan on making a 9" deck around the open cockpit area and I need to save the shape of the deck. No easy task as far as I can tell but should have a better idea after talking to someone thatrs knows what they are doing

Parnell

mphatc
11-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Parnell,

WOW, my hats off to you, this a huge project . . . I'm convinced you do this more for the project than for the boating!

Mario L.

Sweet Cheekz
11-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Mario

I really love what I get at the end of these projects and I love some parts. Other parts not so much.

Parnell

scippy
11-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Small steps

Parnell

Nice work so far Parnell!...........Considering how un-protected the boat was for years, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that the deck went the way of the bulkheads and stringers...........Did the remaining part of the deck lose it's shape now that the balsa core has rotted?

dammmagnum
11-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey Jim Thanks

The transom, I found out the other day is coming out completely. The wood was not real bad but some of the glass has delaminated and the repairs someone did to the exhaust holes is less than impressive. The stringers were fine except where the small area was cut out in the floor for lowering. That was left uncovered and has delaminated a little I cut down to where it stopped and the pic doesnt show it but I have new pieces cut and will glass them in. No worries.
The front bulkheads were all rotted from a pool of water sitting up against them and the fact they were all cut down and left exposed for 5 years. I have cut our every one of them and am starting over with those. What was left of the floor and those side panels in the cockpit was wood chips and its all gone. Lastly the deck is history, totally rotted and that is what I am struggling with now Not completely sure of how to redo that part. In fact I have my guy coming over tomorrow to try and help me get a game plan. I plan on making a 9" deck around the open cockpit area and I need to save the shape of the deck. No easy task as far as I can tell but should have a better idea after talking to someone thatrs knows what they are doing

Parnell

Hello Parnell,

Considering how long it sat exposed to the elements, some of it held up pretty well. its a shame that it wasn't covered better. its great to see the progress ,, little by little.
Thank you.

Jim

Sweet Cheekz
11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Nice work so far Parnell!...........Considering how un-protected the boat was for years, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that the deck went the way of the bulkheads and stringers...........Did the remaining part of the deck lose it's shape now that the balsa core has rotted?

Scippy
It has drooped a bit but I am rebuilding it with a new plan so it will be fine. It had plywood up to about 2 inches from the sides then there is some balsa. Not sure what thats about but the balsa is fine and the wood was mush. Mapped a plan today on how to rebuild it so no worries.
Fitting all the internal supports in and got the main bulkhead done. Now I have to build the entire front layout out of cardboard so I can see where the front bulkhead goes. This designing stuff is really fun for me and promises to take a bit of imagination and time.

Parnell

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Parn , i truely apologize for not getting back with you sooner and the reason being is i have stayed in the UP longer then i anticipated with no siginal or any towers near by to make general contact with anybody other then having to drive over an hour just to be able to use a phone or have contact . Parn once again i apologize and will be home tomorrow afternoon and really am looking foward to hopefully meeting with you next week and possibly giving you a hand on a few of your project's . Artie

Sweet Cheekz
11-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds good Artie.
Travel safe.

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey P, My friend here will try and run the reg. # off the first Mag you picked up, I'll check with him next week to see what he comes up with ..................How's those boat dolly's comin' along?...........pic??

Hey Scippy
Did your freind ever find anything out about that registration number?
Thanks
Parnell

scippy
11-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Hey Scippy
Did your freind ever find anything out about that registration number?
Thanks
Parnell

I really thought he'd come through for me, but after asking him twice over a period of several months and then getting the BS line, "I forgot the reg. # again could you give it to me one more time"........I put it on his windshield (taped it) and walked away thinking "f**k him !!!........so, it's no surprise when he finally runs the # nothing comes back on it...........P, let me work on this a bit further, you know I don't give up easy.

Sweet Cheekz
11-24-2010, 07:24 AM
I wouldn't even have to ask if you gave up easy! Thanks for the effort.
Parnell

HIGH LIFE
11-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Parnell, Here are pictures of my SEDAN O/B. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

scippy
11-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Parnell, Here are pictures of my SEDAN O/B. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

Michael,

Those "men in black" look really potent!.............love to see pics of the rest of the sedan.

Sweet Cheekz
11-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Michael
Thanks looking good

Parnell

HIGH LIFE
11-27-2010, 11:34 AM
These pics were taken just after I had the hull & bottom painted, took off the 300 Pro Max motors, they only run 71 GPS. The 300X motors now run 79 GPS, Plus had prop work done.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-27-2010, 08:09 PM
These pics were taken just after I had the hull & bottom painted, took off the 300 Pro Max motors, they only run 71 GPS. The 300X motors now run 79 GPS, Plus had prop work done.

Michael,
Are those hydromotive props with the leading edge sharpened? Bill

HIGH LIFE
11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Bill, Yes they are HydroMotive 4-blade 24". After first year sent them back to HydroMotive to be recreation labbed . They were right on with the 300 ProMax motors @ 6,100 RPM... 71GPS. After installing the 300X motors that hit 6,800 RPM I had them full lab by Spinelli Props, he nailed it right on ! 79 GPS with 164 gal of gas. I always set up boat with a full load, to max RPM. "HIGH LIFE"

scippy
11-28-2010, 08:39 PM
It's a legit consideration to run OB's on a Magnum especially the numbers HIGH LIFE runs with his 300's..........Somebody tell me why there aren't more Mags rigged with OB's ?..........I mean, besides the throaty rumble of I/O's.........today's OB's have an edge in the salt environment, easy maintenance and simple winterization........Seems also more episodes of breakdowns with I/O's (engine & outdrive) than the much maligned eggbeaters............OK, I'll stop and take the hammering now!

lars
11-28-2010, 11:07 PM
The OB trend is definitely here to stay, but some Magnum owners should

probably think twice before they go ahead with the conversion :shocking:

Michael's Sedan is a real stunner though. Love that boat :yes:

HIGH LIFE
11-29-2010, 03:38 PM
lars, Do you know who owns the 35' MAGNUM ???? I had one w/ twin 400 H.P. 454" BIG blocks thru V-drives, top speed 39.7 GPS. I wonder how this boat would run ? "HIGH LIFE"

Sweet Cheekz
11-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Michael
Thanks for posting the pics Looking great! When you get a chance can you post any pics of the inside of the engine compartment? I would love to see the tanks andthe transom and how you did that whole setup. How did you decide drive heights? Did you do a lot of testing on that or bolt them on and go?
Very helpful pics

BTW How did you like the 35?

Parnell

Greg Guimond
11-30-2010, 07:41 AM
If you are going all the way, rig it with a Porta Bracket for twins and be done with it. You can ease the look with platforms left and right if you like. Here are pics .......I am thinking of using one on my Ultra conversion.

Sweet Cheekz
11-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey Greg
Whats the story with this?

Parnell

Greg Guimond
11-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Been around for years. It is a proven design and expensive but the only real game in town if you want to have all the dial in capability while testing. If its me (thank goodness its not!) I rig with it at a minimum to start out. Then when you get evrything dialed in, if you want to switch to a fixed platform easy enough to do. Porta is not the best at marketing, I tried to get a photo from them of the unit they had with integrated swim platforms and was told they "had no photos" of that unit. Buizilla may know them as they are down his way.

HIGH LIFE
11-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Parnell, The twin 32 gal. tanks are styled the same dimensions as the forward tanks to fit the " V" and end app. 10" forward of transom. Each side goes to "Y" fitting w/ball valves to each motor. I put a floor in on top of stringers, that oil tanks & batteries sit on, tab pumps are mounted on bulkhead. Boat is in storage 50 mi. away, when I go check on it I will take pictures. M y good friend who rigged my boat picked all the right parts & assembled them perfectly - he's a boat mfg. with great knowledge of OUTBOARD POWERED boats ! Re: 35 MAGNUM this boat cruised @ 28-30 GPS thru ANY sea, worst I encounted was 6'-8' head sea with a 25 MPH wind, had the 4 wipers on the whole way home ! Was great around the docks, 12'3" beam & 18K #--- it was a tank but nimble. "HIGH LIFE"

lars
11-30-2010, 11:45 PM
lars, Do you know who owns the 35' MAGNUM ???? I had one w/ twin 400 H.P. 454" BIG blocks thru V-drives, top speed 39.7 GPS. I wonder how this boat would run ? "HIGH LIFE"

Who ever the owner of this outboard Magnum 38 outboard is, he's spent some real money on her. The boat looks to be in really nice shape and the tower is a serious custom piece. The look just doesn't agree with me though. Your original 35 must have been great though Michael and Your sedan is fantastic.

Sweet Cheekz
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info Michael

Been laying out the front of Plum Crazy and its just impossible without mocking everything up. Time consuming but it gives me the chance to make sure all my calculations are correct. I now have all the bulkheads cut and fitted and the floor layed out for the forward section. I have a BIG week of grinding and then I need to start getting supplies and I can begin glassing

Parnell

scippy
12-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info Michael

Been laying out the front of Plum Crazy and its just impossible without mocking everything up. Time consuming but it gives me the chance to make sure all my calculations are correct. I now have all the bulkheads cut and fitted and the floor layed out for the forward section. I have a BIG week of grinding and then I need to start getting supplies and I can begin glassing

Parnell

P,

Can't tell by the picture, but it that bluewater (coosa board) your using for the sole? -or- is that just your template?.........anyway, the project looks to be moving right along at a good pace. The forecast is for middle to upper 30's here in Jersey all week, can't be that much beter for ya in Mich. What's the minimal temp in your building you'll need before starting to do glass work?...................I just received all my fiberglass material's the other day, hope to get fiberglassing soon!

Sweet Cheekz
12-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Scippy
That is just some painted 3/4" plywood. I am using old plywood for all my templates and then most of it will either be foam or balsa.
My space is inside a manufacturing plant that runs 24 hours a day and the temp stays around 60-65 so I have no problems with that. I am just saving up for a big order of materials as I'm buying a drum of resin ect then probably right after the new year I will be attaching all the glassing. I still have a week or two of final grinding, probably starting today and then I have a few more templates to make. The rotted out top deck is really the big challenge and I have a lot of final grinding to do to get it ready.
Hows the new heater work when it is in the 30"s there?

Parnell

scippy
12-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi Scippy
Hows the new heater work when it is in the 30"s there?
Parnell

I just picked up a 100lb. propane tank and fired up the heater. outside temps were at 35.......within 15 mins. temps inside the (20'x40') shelter were approaching 60 (evenly) with the overhead fan running. The heater ranges from 50k -to- 200k btu's and is extremly loud - rate of heat loss is rapid (no insulation), but I think I can pull this off and not hybernate the boat until the spring.

Sweet Cheekz
12-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Thats great news Are you all done grinding?

Parnell

scippy
12-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Thats great news Are you all done grinding?

Parnell

For the transom & attached stringers yes......I tried to get as much as possible done outside while the weather was still good........really can't do any grinding inside except for very minimal roughing up........so, I'm just concentrating on the transom for now and possibly fit the new tanks with the supporting gusset's..........maybe a bulkhead if I'm lucky.

Sweet Cheekz
12-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Well good luck Keep us updated I go in for the big grind today and tomorrow so hope I can breath by thursday

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Got a bunch of grinding done under the deck and in the hull where I am going to be putting in bulkheads.

Parnell

scippy
12-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Got a bunch of grinding done under the deck and in the hull where I am going to be putting in bulkheads.

Parnell

Hey P,

It's cool to watch you start off with a blank canvas (sorta speak) .....This much lighter "plum crazy" will be awesome!.........Everything looks clean and orderly..........is that a 6" rigid grinder?........ I just bought one this summer.

I'm going through a bit of beginner's screwup!!!..........I heated the portable shelter up to a "quick" comfortable 70F and begain to do a small amount of laminating. I mixed a small amount of vinylester resin (5 pts.)with about (1-1/2 tsps) of MEKP........Did I not use enough catalyst? ......24 hrs. later, it still remains syrupy..........I'm thinking also because the propane heater got the temp. in the shelter to 70F very quickly, could it have left the surface of the boat still too cool for the resin to kick???........I did leave a portable heater in the area of the glassing, but shut the propane heater done...:confused:

Sweet Cheekz
12-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Scippy
George is the man to ask about these measurements I have marks on my containers and follow those so I don't really remember off the top of my head whatthe exact specifications are. Is your resin inside before you bring it out to use? I am guessing not enough catalyst but lets see what he says.
ahh the joys of boat building!

Parnell

mphatc
12-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Parnell,

The hull is too cold for resin. You need to get the work area to 70 degrees and get the hull to the same temp . .

or add more MEK which brings it's own hazards!

Mario

Sweet Cheekz
12-13-2010, 03:05 PM
There ya go scippy

Parnell

scippy
12-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Parnell,

The hull is too cold for resin. You need to get the work area to 70 degrees and get the hull to the same temp . .

or add more MEK which brings it's own hazards!

Mario

Bingo!........although the room temp. got to 70F quickly, the hull still need a few hrs. to reach the ambient temp. that surrounded it. Plus, in this cooler temperature a little more MEKP wouldn't have hurt either. In a last effort, I'm throwing a few portable heaters at it.........if it doesn't kick I'm going to remove the patches and start fresh..........In retrospect, Epozy would've been a better choice for cooler weather laminating.:bonk::bonk:

Sweet Cheekz
12-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Well Scippy? Did it dry?
Puttied in a few joints and got most of the grinding done.

Parnell

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Well Scippy? Did it dry?
Puttied in a few joints and got most of the grinding done.

Parnell Parn what kind of putty did you use to fill those joints in ,and thank God you did not pay the RAMSOM $$$$$$$$$ because i escaped ..W O W ..and lucky for you ! Parn i know they were asking way to much for my sorry a$$ & god its good to be alive and i will be talking with you soon .

scippy
12-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Well Scippy? Did it dry?

Parnell

After bout 96 hrs now can safely say, ...it ain't never gonna kick!!...although, it would make a nice rubber tire patch.....:bonk::bonk::bonk:

smidgen too
12-15-2010, 07:28 PM
After bout 96 hrs now can safely say, ...it ain't never gonna kick!!...although, it would make a nice rubber tire patch.....:bonk::bonk::bonk:
Did you try a heat gun to get it started, it dose not take much ? I had the same problem with some of the repairs I did on the Donzi Doral, :nilly: it worked. :yes:

scippy
12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Did you try a heat gun to get it started, it dose not take much ? I had the same problem with some of the repairs I did on the Donzi Doral, :nilly: it worked. :yes:

For 24 hrs straight I had 2 osillating heaaters on it I mean, really up close. "Think that might be good enough??..........and it only feels like rubber now, maybe it'll still drying - who knows?? .....seriously, it's been so dammm cold it's hard to keep the ambient temps inside the shelter warm enough before I run out of propane to safely laminate.........how long before spring???

mphatc
12-15-2010, 09:18 PM
pull another layer of plastic over the top of the existing tent, seal the edges but leave it loose, install a fan to inflate it, you want as little as possible air leakage, the dead air space will insulate your workspace

next try get it warm before you laminate. Measure the hull temp with an infra red gun

Mario L.

Sweet Cheekz
12-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Smidgen is right A heat gun will be much hotter than a space heater and should dry it right away otherwise its start over time. BTW Inch or two off the glass move slowly and evenly. It will be real hot so dont touch for a little while. Thats how I checked the first time and have not done it since.

Artie Glad to hear everything is good. I just used some fiberglass strands in putty to fill those joints instead of grinding off all that perfectly good glass I will run one strip of new glass over the top of each joint and I figured its the easiest way to smooth them out and not grind all day. maybe add a touch of strength

Parnell

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Scippy , when i worked at Thompson Boat Co around 40 years ago the heat in the building during the winter months was really bad and when ever we did any glass work or jell coat repair we would have to heat the area that was going to get repaired before and after with a heat gun or heat lamps .

scippy
12-16-2010, 01:17 PM
To venture into a first time glass work (albeit very small) in not so favorable weather conditions was a bit foolhardy......optimum it was not, but consideration to the amount of MEKP was where I was way off.....with all the heat I've thrown I can see some drying though.....Thanks for all the help guys!

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Scippy general rule of thumb when using MEK is 2% which most likely you already know and just curious are you using a catalyst dispensing bottle for measuring Mek ?

scippy
12-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Artie, Bought all my materials from Merton's (Vinylester resin) one gallon jugs came with smaller plastic catalyst bottle......very eassy to dispense. Joe Merton advised, I didn't use enough catalyst for the much cooler condition..........For 1 qt. I barely used 1-1/2 tsps of MEKP.....normally it's 4 tsps per qt..........I probabely should've used 5 or 6..........I was way way under the kicker.

Greg Guimond
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
ttt........ran across this pic

Sweet Cheekz
01-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Sweet

dammmagnum
01-16-2011, 12:00 PM
ttt........ran across this pic

Its been for sale for at least 2-3 years now, maybe longer, from NJ.
I think it was a former Mich. race boat?

Am sure some of the guys from Mich on here would know better then I would.

Thank you
Jim

smidgen too
01-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Its been for sale for at least 2-3 years now, maybe longer, from NJ.
I think it was a former Mich. race boat?

Am sure some of the guys from Mich on here would know better then I would.

Thank you
Jim
Right you are Jim, its my friends [iron head on oso] old Lake St Clair race Mag. [M-588 CHARGE IT] Mark h2o

dammmagnum
01-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Right you are Jim, its my friends [iron head on oso] old Lake St Clair race Mag. [M-588 CHARGE IT] Mark h2o

Hello Mark,

I was pretty sure that it was a former race boat, just couldn't remember which one. I figured that you or one of the other Mich guys would know.
Thank you
IMHO I think it looked better as "CHARGE IT".
Been for sale for a few years now
i think that I had heard that the bottom was redone on it about a year or so ago

Thank you
Jim

smidgen too
01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Hello Mark,

I was pretty sure that it was a former race boat, just couldn't remember which one. I figured that you or one of the other Mich guys would know.
Thank you
IMHO I think it looked better as "CHARGE IT".
Been for sale for a few years now
i think that I had heard that the bottom was redone on it about a year or so ago

Thank you
Jim
And before it was the CHARGE IT it was the Mag of Bob Moore [Race Rock Founder] SHIP ON IT P-101 here on Lake St Clair.

Sweet Cheekz
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Mark
You have an amazing knowledge of all these old race boats I wish I had been around for those days to watch all that fun

Parnell

smidgen too
01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Mark
You have an amazing knowledge of all these old race boats I wish I had been around for those days to watch all that fun

Parnell
Parnell, Lake St Clair was ground zero for Magnums & Mirages, I was just lucky enuff to see it at peak. Back in the day we had 3 Magnum race teams on my street alone, my Mag P-88 Believe It , P-14 ANACONDA, M-588 CHARGE IT. In that last pic I posted with all the race boats, that bar was at the end my canal that leads to Lake St Clair. And the P-69 Short CIRCUIT Mag is the same one today that is now in Ohio. Mark h2o

scippy
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Parnell, Lake St Clair was ground zero for Magnums & Mirages, I was just lucky enuff to see it at peak. Back in the day we had 3 Magnum race teams on my street alone, my Mag P-88 Believe It , P-14 ANACONDA, M-588 CHARGE IT. In that last pic I posted with all the race boats, that bar was at the end my canal that leads to Lake St Clair. And the P-69 Short CIRCUIT Mag is the same one today that is now in Ohio. Mark h2o

Mark,

Having been in the mix of all that action (back in the day) on lake St. Clair with the 27 Magnums & 29 Mirages must have been great. Plus you took pictures which adds to all the recollections you have......Never get tired to see pictures of those "old sckool" boats.
Where these 27' Mags & 29' Mirages coming from the factory with stock hulls back then? ....meaning a regular layup boat as anybody else would be able to purchase before the race teams modified them.
Speaking of "just the hulls"?..........I always hear of blueprinting the bottom as a step toward gaining some speed. Did anybody (back then)remove bulk (weight) in a attempt gain speed...........I know my 27 hull is heavy weight contender :nilly::nilly:

smidgen too
01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Mark,

Having been in the mix of all that action (back in the day) on lake St. Clair with the 27 Magnums & 29 Mirages must have been great. Plus you took pictures which adds to all the recollections you have......Never get tired to see pictures of those "old sckool" boats.
Where these 27' Mags & 29' Mirages coming from the factory with stock hulls back then? ....meaning a regular layup boat as anybody else would be able to purchase before the race teams modified them.
Speaking of "just the hulls"?..........I always hear of blueprinting the bottom as a step toward gaining some speed. Did anybody (back then)remove bulk (weight) in a attempt gain speed...........I know my 27 hull is heavy weight contender :nilly::nilly:
Most of the early Mags [1970 to74] were pleasure boats turned race boats. When Emerald City had the fire in 1974 around 6 Magnums & one 28' Bertram Baron were lost along with many other boats. When Emerald City replaced two of the Magnums, they ordred them as race boats. One went to Wally Harper [Lil Smidgen for sport class] the other went to Dan Patrona. [Damn Yankee for P class] What made them purposely built race boats they had the 4 fuel tanks, extra glass, race eng mounts, and I have been told they were left in the mold longer to keep the hulls straighter.
Ken Black [Lil Rhino] & Pete Smith [Wolverine] went with Mirages that were staggered engine 3 man bolster race boats that were some of the first Mirages built.
Back in the day we raced real 80 ++ mile ruff offshore races ,so they built them to last. Remember they built these boats in sheds & out side without the aid of computers. Extra glass was allways better, not like todays high tech boats like Skater that use space age technology .

I woulds say many boats ordered from 1976 on, here on Lake St Clair the buyer had it built as a race set up , even if they were pleasure boats. :wink: Many guys did true up there hulls , I know I did.:nilly: The tell tale was the flat black grafite on the bottom of the hull.:yes: Mark h2o

dammmagnum
01-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Most of the early Mags [1970 to74] were pleasure boats turned race boats. When Emerald City had the fire in 1974 around 6 Magnums & one 28' Bertram Baron were lost along with many other boats. When Emerald City replaced two of the Magnums, they ordred them as race boats. One went to Wally Harper [Lil Smidgen for sport class] the other went to Dan Patrona. [Damn Yankee for P class] What made them purposely built race boats they had the 4 fuel tanks, extra glass, race eng mounts, and I have been told they were left in the mold longer to keep the hulls straighter.
Ken Black [Lil Rhino] & Pete Smith [Wolverine] went with Mirages that were staggered engine 3 man bolster race boats that were some of the first Mirages built.
Back in the day we raced real 80 ++ mile ruff offshore races ,so they built them to last. Remember they built these boats in sheds & out side without the aid of computers. Extra glass was allways better, not like todays high tech boats like Skater that use space age technology .

I woulds say many boats ordered from 1976 on, here on Lake St Clair the buyer had it built as a race set up , even if they were pleasure boats. :wink: Many guys did true up there hulls , I know I did.:nilly: The tell tale was the flat black grafite on the bottom of the hull.:yes: Mark h2o

Mark,

That had to be a sad day with the fire and so many really nice Magnums gone in one fire,, a heart breaker

I trued the bottom on my Sport when I had it. was told by several folks that that was the way to make them go faster.

Thank you
Jim

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Mark what ever happend with the Mag named Grumppy old men ? Mark just curious did you get my E-mail i sent you today and how is everything ? Artie

smidgen too
01-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Mark what ever happend with the Mag named Grumppy old men ? Mark just curious did you get my E-mail i sent you today and how is everything ? Artie
Yes,, I just sent you a email. Grumppy became Goumada out east, than redone by it's next owner in Texas in this wrap. It was for sale on OSO about 7 months ago, I think it sold. Mark h2o

scippy
01-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Yes,, I just sent you a email. Grumppy became Goumada out east, than redone by it's next owner in Texas in this wrap. It was for sale on OSO about 7 months ago, I think it sold. Mark h2o

Mark,

Wasn't glass dave (OSO) involved in some of the vinyle graphics on that last wrap?....anyway, the inevitable question will always arise, "What ever happened to" I know more times than not, you'll have the answers.

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes,, I just sent you a email. Grumppy became Goumada out east, than redone by it's next owner in Texas in this wrap. It was for sale on OSO about 7 months ago, I think it sold. Mark h2oI always liked that boat and Mark thank you .

smidgen too
01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Mark,

Wasn't glass dave (OSO) involved in some of the vinyle graphics on that last wrap?....anyway, the inevitable question will always arise, "What ever happened to" I know more times than not, you'll have the answers.

As a offshore referee for the Silver Cup series, I saw that Grumpy Mag of George's many times. That Starefire Mag had a modified deck with the seating & fairing moved rearward. It started life with twin engines, than converted to a single. The bottom was also changed, the inner strakes extended to the transom. This Mag rocked and ran right with the twin engine SHORT CIRCUIT Mag in the P-5 class. Glass Dave did do the graphics design on her.

scippy
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Why not more Magnums with surface drives?......I'm assuming there are a few out there, right??? .....but generally I don't hear much about them when a TRS is dropped in favor of Bravo...........Why not an arneson?

Sweet Cheekz
01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Scippy
I thought about that breifly but I dont know of any.

Parnell

scippy
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Scippy
I thought about that breifly but I dont know of any.

Parnell

So, lets open this question to any with knowledge of ..."Why aren't there more Magnums running with surface drives now?.........It seems to be when a re-power is done or an X is raised, why don't more surface drives .i.e, arneson's come into the equation?

dammmagnum
01-20-2011, 07:03 PM
So, lets open this question to any with knowledge of ..."Why aren't there more Magnums running with surface drives now?.........It seems to be when a re-power is done or an X is raised, why don't more surface drives .i.e, arneson's come into the equation?

Scippy

Good question as many of the larger Magnums come with surface drives.
Not sure why more of the 27s and 28s don't get converted to them.
Looking at it, not many of the other Hi Po Sports boats outh there have them either?

thank you
jim

Fast Shafts 1
01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
For what its worth, Jerry bought Goumada back from the guy he sold it to in Texas. So, Goumada just got a new paint job and new power is coming.
I thought I read that this was also an outboard at some time??

smidgen too
01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Scippy

Good question as many of the larger Magnums come with surface drives.
Not sure why more of the 27s and 28s don't get converted to them.
Looking at it, not many of the other Hi Po Sports boats outh there have them either?

thank you
jim
Jim Clem of Aero, Lancer, Predator, fame built a few of the Magnum copies with ASD #6 drives, they did not work as well as the outdrive boats he built. Looking back I think they just were not developed enuff. With todays props I think it would be a great combination. This real Mag had ASD #6 drives on her before Sparky @ Vicious Marine restored her with Bravos. This is how this black & white Mag looks today on Lake St Clair.

smidgen too
01-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Jim Clem of Aero, Lancer, Predator, fame built a few of the Magnum copies with ASD #6 drives, they did not work as well as the outdrive boats he built. Looking back I think they just were not developed enuff. With todays props I think it would be a great combination. This real Mag had ASD #6 drives on her before Sparky @ Vicious Marine restored her with Bravos. This is how this black & white Mag looks today on Lake St Clair.
A few more pics of this Mag.

scippy
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
For what its worth, Jerry bought Goumada back from the guy he sold it to in Texas. So, Goumada just got a new paint job and new power is coming.
I thought I read that this was also an outboard at some time??

Hey Bob,

So she's back on the east coast now, back here in Jersey? ...I'd love see her up close, maybe we can have lunch and take in a race boat.

scippy
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM

Mark,

Could the ASD #6's w/BW transmission's combined with the heavy engine blocks (back then) maybe slumping the ass down of the older Magnums so as to negating the surface effect?......Today, with the lighter SB's and newer surface drives and also (much like you said) better props these would result in a better combination.. I'm also sure $$$ has alot to due with the choices of Bravo's rather than Arneson's.

That B&W magnum is reaaal nice!..........is it sporting the old TRS engine hatch that sparky has the mold for?..................What year is that sport?

smidgen too
01-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Mark,

Could the ASD #6's w/BW transmission's combined with the heavy engine blocks (back then) maybe slumping the ass down of the older Magnums so as to negating the surface effect?......Today, with the lighter SB's and newer surface drives and also (much like you said) better props these would result in a better combination.. I'm also sure $$$ has alot to due with the choices of Bravo's rather than Arneson's.

That B&W magnum is reaaal nice!..........is it sporting the old TRS engine hatch that sparky has the mold for?..................What year is that sport?
I dont think that weight would have any effect. My Trs race Mag had heavy hatches, and all cast iron engine & manifolds,[per APBA P Class] and rear fuel tanks. The early 27' Hustler boats [that looked like they used a 27' Signature, Magnum mold] ran well with a ADS #6 drive... Jeff [Hallj] has a ADS#6 drive on his Donzi with no ill effects. I think it all about controlled testing.. After a week of testing we found 10+ mph just in props on our EASTERN EXPRESS Skater with # 4 Merc drives at the old Lake X. We must have tried 10 to 15 sets of props back in 1992 to find the right set. But when we were done she never ran better. Today 19 years later the props are much better right out of the box. But you are right it is all about $$$$$$.
That is a Sparky custom hatch, he also has a stock trs hatch mold. I dont know the year of this Mag, but it sure looks good. Mark h2o

Voodoocanoe
01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
It is a 1972.

smidgen too
01-22-2011, 06:05 PM
It is a 1972.
:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: Now get to work on the Sutphen... :nilly::nilly::nilly:

Voodoocanoe
01-22-2011, 07:37 PM
:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: Now get to work on the Sutphen... :nilly::nilly::nilly:

Don't you have about 9 fiberglass projects you should be working on, some with props and others with wheels :yes::yes::yes::yes: :nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly:

MDonziM
02-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Mark,

I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible before setting the new drive height on my starfire. Do you think sparky would remember what x-dim he set the bravos at?

Thanks - Marshall

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Marshall , just curious.........why not............just skim the pin holes on the transom with Ad-tec and prime with Duratec , and the reason being is .....Duratec , is a high build primer that is also used for tooling in a surface , or should i say...used for ... dialing everything in ...which ... can be sprayed or applied up to 50 mills or more . http://expresscomposites.com/duratec1.html Marshall , i have used this primer at every Boat Co that i have ever worked at from Thompson Boat Co , to Skater .

Greg Guimond
02-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Parnell,
I know you are itching to come over to the dark side with your Magnum 27 project. HIGH LIFE has his 300X's singing to the tune of 80mph, the fastest Mag 27 out there. What is the latest with motor selection for your project? Are you going Verardo 350's ?

smidgen too
02-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Mark,

I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible before setting the new drive height on my starfire. Do you think sparky would remember what x-dim he set the bravos at?

Thanks - Marshall
I would think Sparky would know but I havent seen him on any of the sites lately. Send him a PM on OSO, he has allways been helpfull with info .. Mark

MDonziM
02-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I would think Sparky would know but I havent seen him on any of the sites lately. Send him a PM on OSO, he has allways been helpfull with info .. Mark

Thanks Mark - Do you know his name on OSO?

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks Mark - Do you know his name on OSO?Marshall , sparky's number is .... 803-944-3596 and his web site is www.viciouscustomboats.com (http://www.viciouscustomboats.com) and this other site that he support's were he now lives is www.lakemurraypowerboats.com (http://www.lakemurraypowerboats.com) Marshall , his user name is Vicious and he is on this site everyday www.screamandfly.com (http://www.screamandfly.com) and is E Maill address is viciouscustomboats@yahoo.com Artie

MDonziM
02-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks Artie - I'm back on the boat today so I'll ask why we used the filler on the transom, I think it was just because it was West Sys and epoxy based. He is spraying with primer today to get the fine tuning down.

Marshall

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks Artie - I'm back on the boat today so I'll ask why we used the filler on the transom, I think it was just because it was West Sys and epoxy based. He is spraying with primer today to get the fine tuning down.

Marshall Marshall , its all good .