PDA

View Full Version : I removed the windshield - pics

Planetwarmer
09-13-2010, 03:02 AM
A friend of mine tried to step from the seat onto the deck. He didnt make it, and broke the windshield. I figured that no windshield would look better than a broken one, so I took it off.

It is a totally different experience! I really enjoy not having a windshield! The wind is super smooth. It doesnt buffet like I thought it would. It is just a steady stream of air. Its like driving a different boat.

Im going to replace the windshield, but I think I'm gonna leave it off for a while. Its kind of fun. And, it's super easy to get to the bow of the boat!!!

Planetwarmer
09-13-2010, 03:05 AM
If you click on the pics, you can zoom in to see the swim platforms that my wife wont let me get rid of that so many of you hate. You can see the dash I just (mostly) finished too!:)

And that is not oxidation on the side of the boat. It must be hazy from crap in the water. I had just pulled the boat out of the water. Pipes are dirty too.

axelkloehn
09-13-2010, 03:12 AM
1. agree, looks cool w/o screen- lets me even think about getting rid of the step in the deck to have a really smooth transition.

2. agree, hate the swim platforms :wink:

Planetwarmer
09-13-2010, 03:15 AM
1. agree, looks cool w/o screen- lets me even think about getting rid of the step to have a really smooth transition.

2. agree, hate the swim platforms :wink:

Thanks! Now I have to go yell at the wife some more!

Planetwarmer
09-13-2010, 03:17 AM
This is the real reason I cant get rid of the swim platforms.

BigGrizzly
09-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Keep the platforms-not bade at all, but get rid of thefriend that broke the windshield.:):lookaroun:

Marlin275
09-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Do you get faster top end speed
without the windshield?

mattyboy
09-13-2010, 08:53 AM
one of the first 2 +3 22s came without it, they way a 16,18,22 was meant to be.

;)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=486927&l=4fa0812a3e&id=100000036443441

Planetwarmer
09-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Do you get faster top end speed
without the windshield?
Now that is a good question! My daughter fell asleep as soon as she got in the boat, so I never thought to see how fast it would go. The windshield was surprisingly heavy. Ill have to do some testing.

mrfixxall
09-13-2010, 01:11 PM
i think the boat would look cool with a short white plexi windshield on it!

Planetwarmer
09-13-2010, 01:15 PM
i think the boat would look cool with a short white plexi windshield on it!
I have considered that. Im worried about matching the whites. The white gel is 23 years old and is now kind of an off white. The thought has crossed my mind.

Trueser
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
A fiberglass replacement windscreen is available at Nabbers In Morris IL.

I would imagine that shipping will be high.

Ghost
09-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Looks cool.

Don't mind the platforms at all.

Dig the idea of the white fairing.

Ed Donnelly
09-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Leave it just like it is.. The kids love it and you get more use out of it..

Never owned a boat with a windshield, until I bought the Criterion....Ed

BUIZILLA
09-13-2010, 06:34 PM
leave it off... :pimp:

Tony
09-13-2010, 07:07 PM
This is the real reason I cant get rid of the swim platforms.

A picture is worth a thousand words...those kids are cute as hell and having a blast!
Swim platforms are so functional that in some instances they outweigh the (alleged) aesthetic disadvantage.

boogie
09-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Man I love it WO the windshield!! Nice boat!!

Greg Guimond
09-16-2010, 10:03 PM
I'd say leave it off as well ..............

Conquistador_del_mar
09-17-2010, 01:54 AM
It looks so much better without IMHO, and you could save the money and catch some fresh air to boot. Bill

Planetwarmer
09-18-2010, 01:55 AM
Im waiting for the bugs in my teeth!

Carl C
09-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Get the aluminum fairing or maybe the fiberglass one that Trueser mentioned.

gero1
09-18-2010, 07:40 AM
i like it off, continue the hand rail over the dash around the front like the 16-18's

Carl C
09-18-2010, 08:17 AM
The only problem is that the wind gets cold early and late in the season. The fairing gives you something to mount wind deflectors onto. Mick put one on his 22 and Parnell put a custom one on his GT 21. Mine came from the factory with one as did the Shelbys.

Greg Guimond
09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
That is true Carl. I bet you could do a composite solid fairing that could be easily removable. You could place threaded female receiver holes at 4-6 locations on the under belly of the fairing that would then re-purpose the holes currently in the deck. You place the seasonal fairing in place, slide under the deck and thread the bolts up into the females to cinch down the fairing.

I actually like the stub look of the hand rails. The dash pulls them together.

axelkloehn
09-18-2010, 12:29 PM
The only problem is that the wind gets cold early and late in the season. The fairing gives you something to mount wind deflectors onto. Mick put one on his 22 and Parnell put a custom one on his GT 21. Mine came from the factory with one as did the Shelbys.

Parnell did not do a bolt-on type fairing, he built it up with wooden core and fiberglass on his deck. I did a custom shelby-style fairing myself. It was fun to do because you make a paper-dummy and really can check the lines from every perspective till you're satisfied with the form. Then you cut sheets of fiberglass with the dummy laid over and laminate them together. Let it dry and grind the corners- paint- done.
Nathan, go for it- could be a cool winter-project for you!!

Carl C
09-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Parnell did not do a bolt-on type fairing, he built it up with wooden core and fiberglass on his deck. I did a custom shelby-style fairing myself. It was fun to do because you make a paper-dummy and really can check the lines from every perspective till you're satisfied with the form. Then you cut sheets of fiberglass with the dummy laid over and laminate them together. Let it dry and sand the corners- paint- done.
Nathan, go for it- could be a cool winter-project for you!!

Nice! Yes, I know Parnell's was custom built and his gauges are built into it, similar to what Hot Shot Mick did.

HOWARD O
09-18-2010, 08:16 PM
That's it, I'm taking mine off too. That looks great.

PW, is that "step-up" where the windshield was part of your deck? Mine's an '82 and it is a separate piece. It would still look okay I think though. My windshield not only has a crack, but it is crazed like crazy. I sure like the look without it.

Heck, I'll take your platforms too, I think they're classic looking with the teak. Great shot of your girls in mid jump!

Planetwarmer
09-20-2010, 11:05 AM
That's it, I'm taking mine off too. That looks great.

PW, is that "step-up" where the windshield was part of your deck? Mine's an '82 and it is a separate piece. It would still look okay I think though. My windshield not only has a crack, but it is crazed like crazy. I sure like the look without it.

Heck, I'll take your platforms too, I think they're classic looking with the teak. Great shot of your girls in mid jump!

The step on the deck is where the windshield was mounted. I have some cosmetic work to do to it, because the mounting holes for the windshield are rough and there are some rub marks in the gel where the windshield rubbed on it.

HOWARD O
09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
The step on the deck is where the windshield was mounted. I have some cosmetic work to do to it, because the mounting holes for the windshield are rough and there are some rub marks in the gel where the windshield rubbed on it.

If you get the chance, can you take a closer photo of your step?

Mine isn't actually part of the deck, it's a tacked on piece. I am wondering if it's finished gel underneath. If so, I'd go ahead and remove that piece too. Of course, to find out, I'd be needing to remove it anyway......:bonk:

Last Tango
09-20-2010, 04:03 PM
As usual, I'm late to the dance, but here are my opinions:

First of all that is NOT slime on the side of your boat in the first picture. Upon careful inspection one can easily see it is a dandy reflection of your trailer and the ground onto the sides of your boat from the exquisite wax job you recently did.

Second: Windshields are for sissy's. But a nice fairing would be an excellent place to mount your GPS and VHF right in front of you without exposing the connections to direct shots of water and bugs, and hides the wires. Also gives you an excellent place to put those personalized graphics you always wanted on the front of the fairing, and a place to throw the sunblock for quick access behind it. The sunblock is, however, useless against windburn.

Third: Skip the fairing altogether and amaze us with the first 3/4 cut F-15 cockpit windshields ever mounted on a Classic. Just like a West Coast picklefork, or a 35ZR!

drick
09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
the swim platform looks fine ...not real kool but better theb sliping off the drive and cutting your foot off....my 1986 classic never had a windshield....

boogie
09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Third: Skip the fairing altogether and amaze us with the first 3/4 cut F-15 cockpit windshields ever mounted on a Classic. Just like a West Coast picklefork, or a 35ZR! you were reading my mind :)

Planetwarmer
09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
As usual, I'm late to the dance, but here are my opinions:

Third: Skip the fairing altogether and amaze us with the first 3/4 cut F-15 cockpit windshields ever mounted on a Classic. Just like a West Coast picklefork, or a 35ZR!

I kind of wondered what a 22C would look like with the windshields like a 38 ZRC.

Planetwarmer
09-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey Axel, think you would have time to sketch a 22C with quarter canopies for fun?

axelkloehn
09-21-2010, 02:33 AM
could be kind of cool, but loads of work...

you guys already know that something like this is inspiring me... :wink:

boogie
09-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Planetwarmer do you have any picture in the water?

Rodger
09-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
one of the first 2 +3 22s came without it, they way a 16,18,22 was meant to be.

The original F22 did not have a windshield, except as an option. My F22 does have the windshield and though it looks nice from a distance...up close, seeing how it's fastened & finished, makes you realize that it's just an afterthought.

VetteLT193
09-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Mine isn't actually part of the deck, it's a tacked on piece. I am wondering if it's finished gel underneath. If so, I'd go ahead and remove that piece too. Of course, to find out, I'd be needing to remove it anyway......:bonk:

I can't recall when they changed the mold but by 87 it was all one piece. yours is a different design and I sure can't say if it is nice or not underneath, but I'd bet it is nice because it seems like an afterthought on the first mold.

PW: looks great. you do better with 2 kids in the classic than I did. We had room for nothing by the time all the kid stuff was on board. :smash:

Planetwarmer
09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
I can't recall when they changed the mold but by 87 it was all one piece. yours is a different design and I sure can't say if it is nice or not underneath, but I'd bet it is nice because it seems like an afterthought on the first mold.

PW: looks great. you do better with 2 kids in the classic than I did. We had room for nothing by the time all the kid stuff was on board. :smash:
I actually only have one kid (the smaller girl on the port side). I have to bring along at least one other kid to entertain her. The other kid(s) usually come with their own babysitter which helps as well. 2 sets of eyes on 2 kids is easier than 1 set of eyes on 1 kid.

Planetwarmer
09-21-2010, 09:57 PM

It is all molded in.

Planetwarmer
09-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Planetwarmer do you have any picture in the water?
This is the only pic on the water that I have w/o the windshield. If I get a chance, Ill try to take the boat out next weekend and have someone take some.

It sure is a different experience. Its like driving a different boat!

Planetwarmer
09-21-2010, 10:01 PM
could be kind of cool, but loads of work...

you guys already know that something like this is inspiring me... :wink:

Axel, those really look a lot better than I thought they would!

Planetwarmer
04-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Old thread brought back from the dead about the windshield. I go back and fourth.

Carl C
04-25-2012, 06:59 AM
:) I like it. This one never had a windshield. http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/rsz_1pictures_448.jpg