PDA

View Full Version : Boat Upholstery Cleaning

DonziJon
09-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Yesterday I decided it was time to clean the vinyl upholstery in the Minx. The upholstery color is a kind of antique white to match the "Honey" colored deck. Other than a wiping down with a damp sponge once in awhile, it's never had a serious cleaning. NOPE: Didn't think it needed it.

So I started with the usual products we use to clean stuff with. First Windex. Nothing. Next, strait amonia right out of the bottle. Nothing. I have used Soft Scrub on various items over the years and it quite often works pretty well, but I didn't want to load up the stitched seams with soap that I couldn't get out.

Then I spied a box under the sink that contained "Mr Clean Majic Eraser". I took one of the eraser pads out of the box and looked at it and said Yea Right. "Moisten the pad with water and wring it out and Wipe the item to be cleaned". Simple as that. WHAT..? Do they think I just fell off the cabbage truck..? :bonk:

So I did what it said. SOB: I'm not making it up..it freakin works. I used the two pads in the box to "wipe down" (Clean) ALL the upholstery and cushions in the boat...removing 24 years worth of acumulated "patina". No vigorous rubbing or scrubbing...just WIPE it down...

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

I have No Idea HOW this stuff works. There are NO chemicals or ingredients listed on the box, or warnings to use rubber gloves. The only warning is...Don't EAT this product because it may obstruct the digestive system. :nilly:

TRY IT, You'll Like It.

ALSO: http://www.epinions.com/content_339534188164

Conquistador_del_mar
09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Yes, I really like them, too. I use them for many cleaning jobs around the house, cars, and boats. You can buy them in bulk on ebay - use the search for magic eraser or melamine sponge. Bill

RacnJasn
09-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Bald guys are cool :cool:

HOWARD O
09-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Magic erasers are great, I used them on just about everything. I first discovered them when trying to erase all of my 5 yr. old's artwork off the wall in the living room. I know it doesn't list it, but I have to bet that it has bleach in it. Given that, be sure to wipe down that upholstery with soap and water afterwards. You do NOT want bleach sitting on your stitching for any extended period of time!