PDA

View Full Version : Chartplotter suggestions?

yeller
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
The waters where I moved to have some scary stuff lurking just below the surface, so I figure before I end up sinking my boat, I'd better get a chart plotter.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want a handheld and I'd like to keep it under $1k.

Carl C
09-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Garmin seems to be the most popular but I am happy with my Lowrance. Go to www.thegpsstore.com

rchevelle71
09-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Garmin 378 if your on a lake, 478 for saltwater, also has automotive software, so can double duty for ya. This unit was replaced recently with a newer model#, but I am not sure what model it is, and the new one is touch screen, while easier to use, I am not fond of touch screen on a boat. May be able to find some 378/478 leftover for a good price.

zelatore
09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Regardless of what brand you go with, get the biggest screen you can. Yes, it might look a bit of an eyesore on the dash, but trust me on this I've played with chartplotters on probably a 100 different boats and never once have I thought 'I wish this thing was a little smaller'.

The bigger the screen, the more you can zoom in for detail and still see a reasonable range around you. That's the biggest drawback of a chartplotter vs paper - you're forever zooming down tight for detail, then zooming out for a big-picture view to see where you are going. Very annoying.

Bigger screens are also simply easier to read when you're running along at a good pace or in rough water. Looking at it in the store is one thing - try to think of reading it in bright sunlight when it's 3' away from you at an odd angle in the dash and you're going 50 mph in 2' chop with a ferry wake coming up and you're wondering if you can duck behind that island (the one coming up in about 6 seconds) to avoid taking a pounding jumping that wake.

In my 22 I have a Garmin 545. It comes pre-loaded with (US-not sure how much of BC) coastal/near-coastal charts with pretty good detail, and I've added a chip to give me detailed charts of lakes in the western US like Powell and Tahoe plus a lot of others that you've never heard of. I mount it in the corner of my windscreen, although I did have to make a small bracket to move it out from 'under' the screen a bit. Nothing special - just a piece of flat aluminum. This keeps it nice and close to me, although I do have to use my right hand to work it which means taking my hand off the throttle. Granted, I don't usually try to adjust the thing when I'm pushing the boat.

Here's a link to some pics:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59469&highlight=545

I would stay away from the combo auto/boat units myself. I know it's more money, but I find having a dedicated unit usually works better. Heck, I've got the 545 for the Donzi, a little Nuvi for the car, a Colorado for hiking (which I don't recommend), a GPS76 'backup' unit, and a Raymarine E120 for the Carver. It's possible I could get one unit to do all of those things, but it wouldn't be very good at any of them.

And although I'm not the biggest Garmin fan, as you can see I've bought plenty of them over the years. When it comes to hand-held and small marine (5" or so) they rule the market.

zelatore
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Oh, and Carl's right - hard to beat the gpsstore on price. Heck, they sell retail for nearly my wholesale cost.

fogducker III
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Glen, I got mine from an outlet in Calgary I believe....I will dig up the details. It is a Garmin, I think you used it on Cow Lake first time out with the Blackhawk...? I will get the model number, I have had a few over the years and this one is great, I bought a "chip" for it off Ebay and it covers the "entire" west coast, as far up as the Queen Charlottes.....

The thing I like about this one is I can mount it and remove it easily and there are NO wires.....I charge it at home and get 6 to 7 hours of run time....:yes:

yeller
09-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone.

I've been doing a bit of research and one thing that concerns me about the Garmin is, one review said the screen would darken if viewed with polarized sunglasses. Some makes would do this and some wouldn't. Any of you experience problems viewing with polarized sunglasses?

fogducker III
09-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone.

I've been doing a bit of research and one thing that concerns me about the Garmin is, one review said the screen would darken if viewed with polarized sunglasses. Some makes would do this and some wouldn't. Any of you experience problems viewing with polarized sunglasses?

Nope....my Serengeti glassess are polarized and no problem.

PS. This is where I got my unit, fast shipping and fair prices.... http://www.gpscity.ca/

I will go out to the garage and get the model number....nice signature pic BTW...:yes:

Tidbart
09-13-2010, 12:53 PM
here is what came on my boat. Works well, not too big. Fits in the corner of the windshield. Buy one used pretty cheap, save some dough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garmin-GPSMAP-172c-Chartplotter-COLOR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3360afd43cQQitemZ22066 5467964QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

HOWARD O
09-14-2010, 06:18 AM
I have an older 182c and no problems viewing it either w/polarized glasses. It works excellent in bright sun too!