PDA

View Full Version : Tab switch

rtgogo
09-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Has anyone seen these on a boat? Wondering if the indicators work? Broke a switch last weekend and have to replace so thought of going with these since i'd like to have an idea of position. Realize mechanical would be better, but since I have to replace the switch, these seem better than what I have now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BENNETT-TRIM-TAB-INDICATOR-CONTROL-SWITCH-EIC5000-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c073c6824QQitemZ12038 0483620QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_5 00wt_732

Thanks!

gcarter
09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I had the first generation on the Minx.
Pretty easy to install, and worked flawlessly.
My only complaint was when you turned on the ignition, the LED's were pretty dim and had to be brightened all the way to be seen.
This has probably been rectified on this newer version.
Shop around too. Some do discount them.

HOWARD O
09-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I was thinking about these switches too, but then I thought the only time I'd ever really refer to them is when I just get in the boat and am initially getting on plane. Any other time it's pretty much by seat of the pants feel, in my opinion. Then I looked at what needed to be done to install and said forget about it, I can spend that money on something far more useful.

Here's the instructions, FWIW:

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/pdf/instIcon/EIC5000_installation_instructions.pdf

DonziJon
09-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I have an earlier version on my Minx. They are Excellent. The install is way too simple. Anyone who says they can fly seat of the pants is ....well......you fill in the blanks..No offense HO. :bonk:

rtgogo
09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys.. I found them cheaper on several other sites which only puts them a couple hundred over the regular switches i need to replace. Seems like a decent upgrade for the money. I ride with the tabs up most all the time, but will be nice to get a glance to confirm when pulling hard turns and ridin in rough waters. I loose my billet cover, but keeps me from cutting the glass to install any other indicators.

Thanks again... guess I have my fall project...

HOWARD O
09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I have an earlier version on my Minx. They are Excellent. The install is way too simple. Anyone who says they can fly seat of the pants is ....well......you fill in the blanks..No offense HO. :bonk:

John, I know your seat of the pants comment was tongue in cheek and I hate to belabor the point, but seriously. These are little boats where the tabs are incredibly sensitive to begin with. You are setting the tabs by feel, not by the indicators, and it's going to almost always be different every single time you adjust them, if you are even using them at all once you're planing. So you get it adjusted for an offset in weight in the boat or for rough water, then you look down at the indicators to see where they are? What's the point? Each to his own, of course. I just think it's a totally unecessary accessory on boats of this size.

Now what I think is a cool accessory and always wanted on my Albemarle fishing boat were those auto tab controls. Get your boat at the best, most efficient attitude and set it. Then when folks are moving positions on deck or the seas change somewhat, it self adjusts and keeps your set attitude. That's a cool addition.

But having to almost constantly adjust the tabs, you already know where they are in relation to your attitude, I'm sorry but that's just part of piloting the boat. Don't get it, but I will agree that if you feel you need them, those are really nice looking switches!

flying tomato
09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I have 2 boats. One with bennett tabs and one with Lenco electric tabs.
I will not spend another dime to fix the bennett tabs. If a wire breaks on my bennett system it will be replaced with Lenco's. I like the Lenco system that much better. The Lenco's are 2-3 times as fast as the bennett's and much more precise in my opinion.

Sell the bennett parts on ebay and buy a Lenco. Pump will get 125, rams will get 30-40 each.

Just my opinion, FT

gcarter
09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
I will not spend another dime to fix the bennett tabs. If a wire breaks on my bennett system it will be replaced with Lenco's. I like the Lenco system that much better. The Lenco's are 2-3 times as fast as the bennett's and much more precise in my opinion.

Sell the bennett parts on ebay and buy a Lenco. Pump will get 125, rams will get 30-40 each.

Just my opinion, FT

Everyone has an opinion, don't they?
I bet for everyone who prefers Lenco over Bennetts, I'll find 10 who are the opposite.
It's regretful you've had an unfortunate experience w/Bennetts, but they happen to have the very best customer relations policy in any business anywhere.
All you have to do is call.

(No, I don't work for Bennett or even own any currently, but they DO take care of their products. A phone call goes a long way.)

gcarter
09-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah....
Did I mention I really like knowing where my tabs are?
I think this indicator is a great product.

DonziJon
09-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Concur with George. Why would you NOT want the information..? Bennett trim indicators installed over 10 years ago as an add on. The Donzi installed stock trim tab rocker buttons to the right of the wheel are used with the indicators.

The digital LCD reads in degrees of depression....ie: Full up..0, to down 20. Back then they were about $180. :lookaroun: There is an LED bargraph below the LCD that reads in Percent down.

MOP
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I go along with seat of the pants! I have neither a trim gauge or tab indicators, now 70 have been boating since 9. Sea conditions constantly change as do the adjustments to trim & tabs, my eyes are on the water and surrounding area. My comfort and the way my boat is riding it all done by feel, the auto adjusting tab feature is a different story that my friends is the Chits! One of the nicest things to come alone in boating. My eyes except for quick/frequent glances at the temp and oil are always where they belong on the water and surrounding boats, watching unneeded toys will one day get some of you in trouble. Next time you have a close call remember what you were doing a few seconds before!

gcarter
09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Next time you have a close call remember what you were doing a few seconds before!

Maybe looking at girls?

DonziJon
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Maybe looking at girls?

MOP said.."I go along with seat of the pants!" Thong Alert..?? :nilly:

Planetwarmer
09-13-2010, 02:02 AM
I go along with seat of the pants! I have neither a trim gauge or tab indicators, now 70 have been boating since 9. Sea conditions constantly change as do the adjustments to trim & tabs, my eyes are on the water and surrounding area. My comfort and the way my boat is riding it all done by feel, the auto adjusting tab feature is a different story that my friends is the Chits! One of the nicest things to come alone in boating. My eyes except for quick/frequent glances at the temp and oil are always where they belong on the water and surrounding boats, watching unneeded toys will one day get some of you in trouble. Next time you have a close call remember what you were doing a few seconds before!

I took the boat out today thinking of this issue. I do not have indicators. The only time they would be useful for me is knowing if they were all the way down or all the way up.

Like you said, conditions are always changing. You cant have a preset setting for a certain speed. The load in the boat changes, the water changes, the fuel level changes, and the wind changes. After driving the boat and concentrating on this issue, I realized I would never use the gauge while under way. There is no way the gauge will tell me where the tabs need to be at any given point in time unless I am taking off or trailering the boat. The same goes for the trim gauge.:boat:

HOWARD O
09-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Oh yeah....
Did I mention I really like knowing where my tabs are?
I think this indicator is a great product.
They are most definitely a great product! But the only time I don't know where my tabs are is when I first get in my boat. The rest of the time I know exactly where my tabs are, why don't you?

HOWARD O
09-13-2010, 06:39 AM
MOP said.."I go along with seat of the pants!" Thong Alert..?? :nilly:

Well, you might miss some of those thongs with your head buried down looking at your tab indicators!

But I'll ask the same question as I did George. Why don't you know where your tabs are? :cool:

HOWARD O
09-13-2010, 06:41 AM

Just my opinion, FT

I can't say I've ever heard anyone say they think Lenco's are better. I don't have any experience with anything but Bennett, but if the Lencos are 3 times as fast, how can they be more accurate? Not saying they aren't, just wondering. Are the switches not on/off, are they progressive or something?

HOWARD O
09-13-2010, 06:44 AM
There is no way the gauge will tell me where the tabs need to be at any given point in time unless I am taking off or trailering the boat. The same goes for the trim gauge.:boat:

Agreed! :yes:

Greg Guimond
09-13-2010, 07:19 AM
I have the Bennett indicators that DonziJon posted a pic of. Sorry to say that the diodes are failing, and I wish I could find a new set out of NOS. Anyone have an idea where some might be?

MOP
09-13-2010, 08:50 AM
For long term longevity Bennet and Boat Leveler tabs rule, Lenco and lectrotab units are well made and very easy to install and do work great until water gets into the rams which is an electric motor immersed in water. With Lencos it is very important on boats left in the water to raise the tabs when not in use, any debris kills the seals in the rams. If you trailer and run in salt they should be extended and washed after each use, the rams run about $180 a pop $60 for Bennet and $80 for Boat Leveler which rarely fail. Working in big marine parts house I see what holds up and what doesn't. Lenco and Lectrotab units do fair but do not hold up near as well as the hydraulic units.

rchevelle71
09-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I have the Bennett indicators that DonziJon posted a pic of. Sorry to say that the diodes are failing, and I wish I could find a new set out of NOS. Anyone have an idea where some might be?

Call Bennett, I bet they have some stored away in the back room, and if they do I bet they send them to you free of charge, that is the way their cust. service works!!!

I run the TPI2000, which is basically the same setup that we are discussing here, but with a seperate switch, just indicators, and works flawlessly, the old trimdicators were kinda flakey, but they really did their a nice job on these new styles. I also understand the seat of pants thing, and having the boat running level is #1 regardless of what the indicators say, but it is still nice to know where the tabs are. By the way, I run Bennett's on Steroids:eek:

DonziJon
09-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Why don't you know where your tabs are? :cool:

I DO KNOW where my tabs are. I know how fast I'm going. I know what the engine temperature is. I know what the oil pressure is. I know what my engine revs are. I know how many volts the alternator is making. I even.. kinda know how much gas is in the tank....Kinda. :yes: almost..:bonk:

NowThe Really BIG question: Would you give up your GPS Speedo because you Just Know ..Totally..how fast you're going because you can Feel It in your Butt. :nilly: Prolly Not....

Just pulling your leg HO..:yes: DJ

Greg Guimond
09-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Chevelle, I did just that and they have none left.........I was bummed and have not been able to find NOS on Ebay or the like. Tabs work great, just the indicators that have a bad case of "fading diode"

rchevelle71
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Chevelle, I did just that and they have none left.........I was bummed and have not been able to find NOS on Ebay or the like. Tabs work great, just the indicators that have a bad case of "fading diode"

well that sucks, the new system is far superior to the trimdicators, maybe you can find a deal on an upgrade, unfortunately they wont fit in the same holes. Is it possible that you know someone good with electronics that could solder in new diodes??

DonziJosh
09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I think I need to raise my prices!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bennett-Marine-EIC5000-Trim-Tab-Indicator-Switch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5e451d81QQitemZ25068 9691009QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

FWIW we've never installed any of these, but apparently picked up some for evaluation.

I also have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bennett-Marine-TPI2000-Trim-Tab-Position-Indicator-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb068b547QQitemZ26065 7689927QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

This concludes my shameless plug. :)

oledawg
09-13-2010, 11:57 AM
"These are little boats where the tabs are incredibly sensitive to begin with. You are setting the tabs by feel, not by the indicators, and it's going to almost always be different every single time you adjust them, if you are even using them at all once you're planing. So you get it adjusted for an offset in weight in the boat or for rough water, then you look down at the indicators to see where they are?"

Much as I hate to do it, I totally agree with HowardO, on my C22 I just reach down and move the switches while keeping my eyes on what is happening in front of the boat.....it is totally a "seat of the pants" setting that I only change when speed/conditions warrant it. Simple is indeed good.....:cool!:

gcarter
09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
There you go Greg, a brand new one for peanuts.

Of course you set the tabs by feel..........
Everybody does.
No one says to themselves "I have my Aunt Mary sitting in my port rear seat, and she weighs 378#, so I need to dial in three ticks on the port tab indicator to be able to get on plane".
Then circumstances change two or three times, along w/sea conditions.
By this time, I may not remember every single adjustment I've made and I just wanna know where everything is.
So I look down at my indicators for just a split second while I check the oil pressure, temp, and remaining fuel and I feel a lot more confident about everything, because I know.

BTW, you guys that appreciate indicators will go crazy about the Hynautic Power Plane indicator and switch combination.
'Nuff said.
You'll just have to wait.

Greg Guimond
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately George, those are the "new style" and I need the "old style" as shown in the photo below. The old style are a different cut out and not easy to find so far. I'll have to see about replacing the diodes perhaps if I can't find the a pair of the old style trimdicators.

DonziJon
09-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately George, those are the "new style" and I need the "old style" as shown in the photo below. The old style are a different cut out and not easy to find so far. I'll have to see about replacing the diodes perhaps if I can't find the a pair of the old style trimdicators.

Why don't you try a Marine Consignment (used) shop. We have a couple right here in RI and you may have one near you. It's actually fun to wander through one..kinda like an antique shop for boat stuff. I found a box full of NOS toggle switches just like the ones on my Minx. The originals have a plastic retainer ring on the front that will crack if you bump into it.

EDIT: In fact I just remembered....the place where I bought my trimdicaters NEW has a consignment shop in a warehouse behind the store.

DonziJon
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Greg: I just emailed the consignment shop in Newport (I live right up the road) with the picture of the Trimdicator heads. We shall see. They have got piles of old stuff, including electronics. DJ

Greg Guimond
09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Thank you for the help. Greatly appreciated as we don't have anything like that around us.

DonziJon
09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Thank you for the help. Greatly appreciated as we don't have anything like that around us.

No problem Greg: If I don't get a response from them by tomorrow morning, I will do a Safari down there to have a look for myself... I have asked about their Database in the past and the results were...foggy. They DO have some stuff. You have to be focused when you go...:) That's ME..Totally Focused. :)

There are two other places around the bay that I can check as well. I'm a Senior Citizen and ....a Senior Outing would be good. DJ

PS: NOT as old as MOP. :bonk: DJ

HOWARD O
09-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Much as I hate to do it, I totally agree with HowardO,

Gee, thanks.......I think??? Glad to see the NC boys sticking together anyway....

Aside from all the tab switch stuff, I really want to know if George even had enough tab for his fat Aunt Mary? :eek: :confused:

HOWARD O
09-14-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm a Senior Citizen and ....a Senior Outing would be good. DJ
PS: NOT as old as MOP. :bonk: DJ

I'm ashamed as I didn't realize this, Jon. Hope your indicators are in fine, working order! :tongue:

DickB
09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
My only complaint was when you turned on the ignition, the LED's were pretty dim and had to be brightened all the way to be seen.
I had the same complaint. While reworking my indicator, I built an add-on circuit to brighten them automatically on start up. You just need to add one wire to the Bennett circuit board to hook up the add-on.

DickB
09-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Tabs work great, just the indicators that have a bad case of "fading diode"
Greg, I wonder if it is the LEDs themselves or something else. Are all the LEDs equally faded, or some more than others?

DonziJon
09-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Greg: The marine consignment place didn't check their email until I arrived on site. The guy was pretty sure he hadn't seen those indicators in the warehouse, so I had a look around for myself. NO Go. I found a single Bennett ram cylinder (used) but that was it.

Something else I found unrelated..... Five Mercruiser stainless braided hydraulic hoses with fittings (30" long) for the drive trim cylinders...Brand New still sealed in the Merc plastic bags. $10 each. :)

You win some..you lose some. :lookaroun: DJ

Greg Guimond
09-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks DJ for the effort. That would have been tooooo easy!

Dick, the "red" portion of the indicators seem fine. It is the actual black numbers above that have faded away for the most part. I'm not sure if that portion can be repaired or not?

DonziJon
09-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Maybe try this. Just cover the old holes with a blank plastic or aluminum plate and cut a two inch round hole to accommodate this module. I think the unit shown has a cylindrical Guage style "thingy" on the back of this unit. I don't think it's a surface mount. Price is right....NO..??

Notice the Flat Black plastic backing in MY picture off to the right of the wheel. It covers stuff.

As an aside: Your OLD Trimdicators ALSO have LED lights for Percent Down...and they still work.....:yes:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|292329|314580&id=92749

REAL MEN don't use Trim Indicators. :)

realbold
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Anyone have the Bennett Auto Retractor? Looks extremely easy to install and retracts the tabs automatically when you turn off the ignition.
As for the Lencos I like the idea of the ballscrews, but dont know about how reliable they are.

Donzi LG
09-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Anyone have the Bennett Auto Retractor? Looks extremely easy to install and retracts the tabs automatically when you turn off the ignition.

I have them and love 'em. Turn ignition off and up they go.

realbold
09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
I'll add it to my "must have" list.

CHACHI
09-15-2010, 06:00 AM

+1

Ken

DickB
09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Dick, the "red" portion of the indicators seem fine. It is the actual black numbers above that have faded away for the most part. I'm not sure if that portion can be repaired or not?

The red portion appears to be LEDs (light emitting diodes) and the black numbers LCDs (liquid crystal display). LCDs can fade with age, but could also be faded due to weak drive circuitry - like an LCD watch can fade when the batteries go bad. But a bad LCD is a good guess. It may be possible to replace them, but we'd need an LCD part number, specs, or disassemble the gauge and examine it.

rtgogo
09-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Are these the one's your looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BENNETT-digital-trim-tabs-control-LCD-LED-display-/110585382679?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item19bf670717#ht_500wt_958

Greg Guimond
09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Yep........and take a close look at the black numbers on the left unit. Looks like they have the same problem mine do, the 12 is not a 12.

rtgogo
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
I tried...

Greg Guimond
09-15-2010, 09:51 PM
I guess that the "number" part of the indicator is the problem child !!

DonziJon
09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
You'll notice they don't make them with the digital readout anymore.

Greg, have you gone behind the dash and removed all the removable plugs and connectors and cleaned up all the contacts...? Have you followed the Bennett directions for "Re-Calibrating" the CPU..? The "number" may be the problem....BUT..each display head gets it's own marching orders from the CPU in a separate box behind the dash. DJ

yeller
09-17-2010, 01:01 PM
I had the same complaint. While reworking my indicator, I built an add-on circuit to brighten them automatically on start up. You just need to add one wire to the Bennett circuit board to hook up the add-on.
Dick....you just have too much time on your hands.....but glad you do. :yes:

I need to do that mod to mine.

DickB
09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I basically retired last November. I don't know how working guys find the time to get anything done!