PDA

View Full Version : Hornet Marine Model One Demo Ride Sept 14

David Hartmann
09-10-2010, 02:58 PM
On Tuesday, 9/14/10 Hornet Marine is hosting demo rides of our new 17' powerboat, The Model One on the Connecticut River. You can check out the event invite and sign up for your demo time here:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs066/1102928002345/archive/1103672514257.html

We hope to see you there and appreciate your feedback.

BRIAN73
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Hello All,
I can honestly say that I was truly impressed with the handling, fit/finish and top speed of Dave's new boat. With three good sized guys in the boat and 3/4 of fuel on board, we still managed to achieve a speed greater than 50mph on GPS, which is not bad for a non V8 powered boat.
Recently I had the pleasure to visit Dave's Bristol, Connecticut factory and it was a real treat to see the nuts and bolts of Hornet Marine. The company’s attention to detail and small batch philosophy will be a certain recipe for success.
Brian
CX18-42
Lake George, NY

thriller
02-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Saw it in Miami and wasn't so impressed...The Gel was terrible and it's a Splash..Sad really

David Hartmann
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Saw it in Miami and wasn't so impressed...The Gel was terrible and it's a Splash..Sad really

Glad you stopped by the booth. We appreciate the feedback. We are using CCP-951 gel coat after much research we chose this for resistance to UV and its ability to be buffed out and brought back to a shine long in to its service life.

As far as the boat being a splash, it is not. We built plugs ourselves and then built molds from those. If you look very close at the hulls you will see changes such as the hook for counter rotating prop and driver position. little things like a flat molded in for the bow eye. There are big changes like the cockpit floor being 1 inch lower which makes passenger seating more comfortable. By lowering the floor we were able to give the driver 1/2 inch more leg room and increase the dash by a 1/2 inch. Lowering the floor like this gives the boat a lower center of gravity which improves the handling significantly.

We also ran a fully finished liner in the forward compartment with electronics panels on each side.

Thank you again for the feedback. Honest feedback is how we improve. Next time you see us please introduce yourself we always enjoy meeting a Donzi enthusiast. Let us know next time you are going to a show that we are at we generally offer free show tickets to anyone on donzi.net and offshore only.

David Hartmann
President
Hornet Marine
860 944 1210cell
860 516 3141 office

BUIZILLA
02-23-2011, 02:33 PM
you will see changes such as the hook for counter rotating prop and driver position. please excuse me becuse i'm not a hull designer, but why would you redesign a hook for a counter-rotating prop, then leave the original 16's hook in there on both sides anyways?

not sure what driver position has to do with the HULL..

David Hartmann
02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
please excuse me becuse i'm not a hull designer, but why would you redesign a hook for a counter-rotating prop, then leave the original 16's hook in there on both sides anyways?

not sure what driver position has to do with the HULL..

There is two different hooks in the hull. There is one that is on both sides. Our boat has that. There is another hook (or at least that is what we call it )that is just on the surface between the spray rail and the chine on one side of the boat. This has been changed significantly. This is in there to compensate for prop torque at midrange speeds.

Yes you are right, driver position has nothing to do with it. What we did regarding driver position, is put the battery on the opposite side of the boat so that the boat sits level at rest.

silverghost
02-23-2011, 03:27 PM
David:
Why don't you post a few digital photos of your new Hornet Marine show-boat here on this site for we folks who were not able to view it at the Miami show !

I for one~~~would like to see it !

David Hartmann
02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
David:
Why don't you post a few digital photos of your new Hornet Marine show-boat hereon this site for we folks who were not able to view it at the Miami show !
Here are a couple pictures of the boat that was down at the Miami Show. Check out our facebook page (www.facebook.com/hornetmarine) for a lot more pictures of our boats, we update our page regularly.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/hornetmarine/IMG_1016.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/hornetmarine/IMG_9423.jpg

Greg Guimond
02-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I hate facebook but like your boat. How much does an unrigged hull weigh?

zelatore
02-28-2011, 11:30 AM
I hate facebook but like your boat.

What he said. I don't follow any people, and especially not ANY company on facebook.

Of course, maybe I'm just old.

Sweet Cheekz
02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Dave
I met you at the show and saw your first boat run at Lake George at the dustoff last year. I wish you good luck with your new company Your product seemed good to me but I really wish you would have made a more original logo for your product It really does smack of a copy and for me that was the only thing that really bugged me. It would seem to me that if you really wanted to seperate yourselves from other similar competitiors with as you have stated a new plug, different bottom ect you wouldnt have made an almost exact copy of their old logo.
Other than that good luck

Parnell

Donzigo
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Nice boats.

Tidbart
02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Here are a couple pictures of the boat that was down at the Miami Show. Check out our facebook page (www.facebook.com/hornetmarine (http://www.facebook.com/hornetmarine)) for a lot more pictures of our boats, we update our page regularly.

Well done. I was wondering what the finish product was going to look like.
I was at the show last year and you just had the hull. Nicely appointed interior.

B

David Hartmann
02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
David:
Why don't you post a few digital photos of your new Hornet Marine show-boat here on this site for we folks who were not able to view it at the Miami show !

A few more pictures. The Red and White one is on display at the New England Boat Show until 6 March. After that It will be going to A&S Boats of South Windsor CT.

Photos at
http://gallery.me.com/davidyh

JimG
03-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Looks great! Good job, and thanks for stepping out there and doing what others just squawk about! Good luck!

Jim

CHACHI
03-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Love the color.

Ken

jl1962
03-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Likewise.
Best of luck David.

Now what's the deal w/ the driver's seat in the yellow boat?
-JL

Tony
03-01-2011, 08:56 PM

In larger cruisers, a seat like this lets the skipper sit up higher for a better view, maybe while docking or at slow speeds. Sometimes bolster seats on go-fast boats have a similar style, so that you can take a half-standing position to let your legs absorb the shock of big water.

The part of the seat you are seeing folds down to resume a normal seat shape.
It does seem odd to have this feature in a small boat, though...

Greg Guimond
03-02-2011, 05:14 AM
I'm just wondering what the hull weighs given the use of modern techniques and materials :confused:

zelatore
03-02-2011, 12:37 PM
-JL

ha! - flip up bolsters are the norm on larger boats - I couldn't even figure out what you were referring to until Tony commented.

But yeah, it's kinda pointless on a small boat like this. I guess maybe you could sit on it to gain some height, maybe if you were cruising along slowly with the bow in the air or something.

My guess is they're buying an 'off the shelf' seat design with custom upholstery and it just comes that way.

Tidbart
03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
I like the bolster. Many times I would have used that on my 18. Not for cruising, but around the docks and in tight quarters near other boats.

B

silverghost
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I once got a ticket from the NJ Marine Police for riding on my driver's seat back decades ago !
A better multi-position & function helm seat would have prevented this !

As for being another Donzi "Splash Hull"~~~~

Here is what's funny~~~
The later re-introduced Donzi-built 16s are/were a "Splash" of a non-Donzi built "Splash"rip-off copy were they not ?

Why Donzi did not pull some new molds off of a good Original Donzi hull is an enigma to me ?
Why did they EVER use a "Splash" rip-off copy ?

My question~~~
Does a boat builder have to pay the original hull designer a fee for each & every copy of a design that they make ?
How does this in fact work in the marine boat building industry ?

Could this be the reason Donzi themselves used a non Wynn & Walters "Splash"copy ?
That way they would not have to pay the hull's original designers Wynn & Walters ! ?

David Hartmann
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
ha! - flip up bolsters are the norm on larger boats - I couldn't even figure out what you were referring to until Tony commented.

But yeah, it's kinda pointless on a small boat like this. I guess maybe you could sit on it to gain some height, maybe if you were cruising along slowly with the bow in the air or something.

My guess is they're buying an 'off the shelf' seat design with custom upholstery and it just comes that way.

You are right, it is a stock seat base with custom upholstery. We have not seen a need for this in the boat yet but it also does not seem to take away from the boat either. We will pay attention to customers and the way the boat is used. If this is something that people use then it will stay and if not we will phase it out.

zelatore
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
No reason NOT to have the flip-up bolster. Doesn't affect the seat in it's down position at all, and it does give you the option of having a slightly higher seating position if you want it.

Oh yeah, and the boat looks nice - if you were on the west coast I'd love to come by for a look, but I don't think I can justify flying back east just for a look-see... :)

David Hartmann
03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm just wondering what the hull weighs given the use of modern techniques and materials :confused:

All of the fiberglass pieces weigh about 680 pounds

mrfixxall
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I once got a ticket from the NJ Marine Police for riding on my driver's seat back decades ago !
A better multi-position & function helm seat would have prevented this !

As for being another Donzi "Splash Hull"~~~~

Here is what's funny~~~
The later re-introduced Donzi-built 16s are/were a "Splash" of a non-Donzi built "Splash"rip-off copy were they not ?

Why Donzi did not pull some new molds off of a good Original Donzi hull is an enigma to me ?
Why did they EVER use a "Splash" rip-off copy ?

My question~~~
Does a boat builder have to pay the original hull designer a fee fo
r each & every copy of a design that they make ?
How does this in fact work in the marine boat building industry ?

Could this be the reason Donzi themselves used a non Wynn & Walters "Splash"copy ?
That way they would not have to pay the hull's original designers Wynn & Walters ! ?

From what i understand the hull has to be changed some way by 10 % so they dont have to pay any fees...

margo
03-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I also met you at the Miami boat show..I liked the boat but think it would sell better if it had a 350 merc in it...Could you give me the name of the company that builds the pull out ladder on the transome..Neat idea..Good luck with the boat....

Greg Guimond
03-17-2011, 03:03 AM
All of the fiberglass pieces weigh about 680 pounds

The finished hull without a motor and upholstery weighs 680lbs?

David Hartmann
03-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I also met you at the Miami boat show..I liked the boat but think it would sell better if it had a 350 merc in it...Could you give me the name of the company that builds the pull out ladder on the transome..Neat idea..Good luck with the boat....

The 350 would be cool but wow that would be a lot of power for this boat. It touches 60 with the 220hp engine.

It is a Garelick product
19902-34 : 3 Step Semi-Automatic Ladder
http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=19902

It is very cool I am planning on putting it on my St Tropez. Be mindful of mounting position if you have Trim tabs

Greg Guimond
03-18-2011, 08:16 PM
The finished hull without a motor and upholstery weighs 680lbs?

Rumblefish
03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
It is a Garelick product
19902-34 : 3 Step Semi-Automatic Ladder
http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=19902

It is very cool I am planning on putting it on my St Tropez. Be mindful of mounting position if you have Trim tabs

Nice boat.. nice seats ( I stand alot when docking ). Nice step ladder ( Im using the outdrive still).. just nice to see you apply things that a majority of sport boat people want.. compact... fast.. looks cool.. Best of luck!

David Hartmann
05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
We're proud to announce Hornet Marine just received NMMA Certification as a manufacturer (you can read our press release here: http://ow.ly/4N2C0). Thank you for your continued support.

Tidbart
05-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Congrats David. Your hard work is paying off. Hopefully, monetarily also.:)

Fishermanjm
05-04-2011, 02:47 PM
David the helm seat looks real comfortable, can u tell me who makes the seat, looks like it would fit a big guy like myself much more comfortable than the stock seat in my classic jim

David Hartmann
05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
David the helm seat looks real comfortable, can u tell me who makes the seat, looks like it would fit a big guy like myself much more comfortable than the stock seat in my classic jim

The helm seat is very comfortable. The seat is made by Attwood, and our upholstery is done by Premier Performance Interiors out of Sarasota, FL.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com
http://www.ppi-fl.com/

Donziweasel
05-08-2011, 11:53 AM
David, I hear you are a very nice guy, but I have a few concerns. I have been fairly vocal, as have others,about you stealing the Donzi 16 design, stating in an article it is basically your design and there is nothing like it out there today, both of which are false, using a Donzi sript for Hornet Marine, etc....

Why is this listed in the events and gatherings section?

1. It is not a Donzi, but a Donzi clone.
2. You are basically advertising for your company, not a Donzi community gathering.
3. You, if I am not mistaken, are not a paid advertiser on this site, yet you are contantly pushing your product unlike, lets say, Jamie at Lakeside, which actually has Donzi clientele and pays to promote his business. Not only that, you are pushing a product that is in direct competition with the boats we love, the Donzi Classics, without showing one bit of respect to the company that made Hornet Marine possible.

I think I would have a lot more respect and tolerance for your company if you simply admitted it was a Donzi clone and gave a little respect to the company that you stole the boat from and script from. Yet, despite it all, you continue to deny that it is a clone, you stole the script, you stole the name for you company, it is basically your design, etc... Show a little respect to Donzi and you will get some back from me and others. Simply admit what you have done and be done with it......

You are using a DONZI forum to promote your clone that is in direct competition with Donzi without paying proper respect. Despite whether you are a nice guy or not, have you no shame? I sure as hell never saw U boats or Pythons pimped on here.....

GBond
05-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Congrats David. Your hard work is paying off. Hopefully, monetarily also.:)

Best of Luck

JimG
05-09-2011, 08:25 AM
+1! Congrats on the NMMA certification! Great job!

David Hartmann
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
David, I hear you are a very nice guy, but I have a few concerns. I have been fairly vocal, as have others,about you stealing the Donzi 16 design, stating in an article it is basically your design and there is nothing like it out there today, both of which are false, using a Donzi sript for Hornet Marine, etc....
Why is this listed in the events and gatherings section?
As far as posting in this section, I agree that this is not the right place. Sorry about that. We did start a thread in "talk about other boats" for general information, and try to only post events like demo rides or open houses in this area.
The reason we post events on this registry is that we think that Donzi enthusiasts might be interested in visiting a production facility. We also think they may be interested taking this 17 foot sport boat for a test ride.

1. It is not a Donzi, but a Donzi clone.
A clone would be an exact copy. No it is not a Donzi, it is a Hornet. We would not be allowed to make or sell Donzi's.

2. You are basically advertising for your company, not a Donzi community gathering.
3. You, if I am not mistaken, are not a paid advertiser on this site, yet you are contantly pushing your product unlike, lets say, Jamie at Lakeside, which actually has Donzi clientele and pays to promote his business.
I would have to say that is a fair assessment. We are promoting the fact that we have an open door policy at our factory. We greatly respect the members of this site and want to make everyone aware of what we do to try and earn your respect. We are proud of what we do and want feedback from people that are familiar with this type of boat. We are not targeting Donzi owners with advertising. We do not service Donzi's. We do not compete with Lakeside, if they were closer to me I would have my St. Tropez down there right now.

Not only that, you are pushing a product that is in direct competition with the boats we love, the Donzi Classics, without showing one bit of respect to the company that made Hornet Marine possible.
I think I would have a lot more respect and tolerance for your company if you simply admitted it was a Donzi clone and gave a little respect to the company that you stole the boat from and script from. Yet, despite it all, you continue to deny that it is a clone, you stole the script, you stole the name for you company, it is basically your design, etc... Show a little respect to Donzi and you will get some back from me and others. Simply admit what you have done and be done with it......
You are using a DONZI forum to promote your clone that is in direct competition with Donzi without paying proper respect. Despite whether you are a nice guy or not, have you no shame? I sure as hell never saw U boats or Pythons pimped on here.....
I am glad you see us as direct competition with the boats you love. That means that we are doing something right. But as far as respect for Donzi, we have tremendous respect for the classic Donzi's. We would not be making this boat if we did not respect the original Wynne-Walters designs.
As a lifelong Donzi owner and a club member for years, it always amazed me what little support Donzi gives all of us. This is one of the motivations for Hornet. We see opportunity in improving the customer experience. For example, Hornet Marine owners get reimbursed for membership dues to approved owner groups and online communities.
Another way of looking at this is seeing that Hornet enables new boaters to have the same experience you love. We are interested in growing that experience, not disrespecting it in any way. As far as the logo goes, we think the script logo has a classy look to it. We recently earned our trademark registration for our logo.
Another point that I want to make sure you are aware of is that we build a first rate product. In doing so we are not doing anything to devalue a classic 16 or 18 Donzi. I expect we are actually increasing the value of classics. We are making more people aware of the fun and capability of these boats, which increases demand.
To a moderator, I again apologize for the misuse of the thread, and if you could move this to the Hornet Marine thread in the other boats section, We will continue to monitor it there.