PDA

View Full Version : a tribute to Don

mattyboy
09-09-2010, 08:51 AM
surprised I haven't seen it pop up here, maybe some of the guys on the island will get out to see it.

this is old school run wat ya brung, short sprint flat water drag boats stay home, plan your course plan your fuel stops, run it has hard and fast as you'll think it will last to make the 271 mile circuit.

I am going out depending on my travel plans either the friday night before or sat. to see the finish

the LGDCC is going to donate a few flags with the old school donzi logo to the cause.

it is a wonderful tribute to Don and all the guys from when offshore was offshore. Brownie won this one year in a Donzi 28.

I would love to try this in the hornet but that ain't happening this year

mattyboy
09-09-2010, 08:59 AM
some familiar names up there

from another site

"Distance: 271 miles total. You can stop for fuel where ever you want.
Stu Hayim in his 32 Skater, "RECOVERY" set the record for this course at 3 hours and 6 minutes in 1989 with Joey Impresscia on the throttles.
Past Winners:
1959: Jim Lacy 17' HUNTER w/70 HP Merc O/B 8 hrs and 30 min
avg: 34.2 mph 280 miles
1960: Chuck Mercereau 17' POWER CAT w/2-80 HP Merc O/B's 6 hrs
avg: 46.7 mph 280 miles
1961: Sam Griffith 31'Bertram GlASS MOPPIE 2-330 HP Chryslers 6 hrs 22 min
avg: 44 mph 280 miles
1962: Jim Wynne 19' Glastron GULFSTREAM 2-100 HP Volvos 6 hrs and 2 min
avg: 42.9 mph 258.8 miles
1963: Gene Bianco 19'ELTRO 2-100 HP Merc O/B's 5 hrs and 26 min
avg: 44.2 mph 240 miles
1964: Odell Lewis 25' Bertram MONA LOU 2-310 HP MerCruisers 5 hrs and 6 min
avg: 48 mph 245 miles
1965: Stanley Humes 20' OWENS 225 HP MerCruiser 7 hrs and 45 min
avg: 30.2 mph 234 miles
1966: Alan Brown 28'Donzi BROAD JUMPER 2-530HP Holman& Moodys 4 hrs & 42 min
avg: 53.8 mph 253 miles
1967: Dick Genth 28'Formula THUNDERBIRD IV 450 HP MerCruiser 5 hrs & 23 min
avg: 47 mph 253 miles
1968: Bill Sirois 31'Bertram SIDEWINDER 2-475 HP MerCruisers 3 hrs & 59 min
avg: 63.5 mph 253 miles
1969:Peter Rittmaster 31'Bertram AMERICAN MOPPIE 2-475HP MerCs 4 HRS& 33 min
avg: 48.9 mph 222.5 miles
...and then the event moved to Point Pleasant, New Jersey in 1970. "

Marlin275
09-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Thats a real race !
The Ocean Race as it was meant to be . . .

BigGrizzly
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I was at the first Point pleasant race andwatched from our boat. this is where we first met Brownie. Then the name changed from the Hennessy to Bennie Hanna GP.

MOP
09-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Weather forecast looks good for the 18th, I am thinking of stationing myself in Gardner"s Bay between the points. Any farther down the course they will be to spread out, the bay should moderate conditions so they can really let loose through that stretch.

Phil

mphatc
09-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Linda and I will going out to LI with the Corsican, connecting with MOP .. anyone else heading out?

Possiblity of a rendezvous at Claudio's for drinks in the afternoon?

On OSO there is a post for volunteers . . . .
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/238670-help-needed-spotters-don-aronow-marathon-sept-18th.html

Mario L.

mattyboy
09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I am not sure if I will be back in time to get out there, I am traveling by car and if I do go will be at la motta's in port washington Start finish line.

they are leaving port washington at 7:30 am on sat judging from the times I posted using 4 hrs as an avg 3 hrs is the record I would imagine it would take them 1-1/2 to 2 hrs to get to Gardiner's bay maybe a little sooner if the sound is flat . so I guess to be safe I would be in the bay by 8:30 am

mphatc
09-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Ahhm late Friday PM arrival, early sat AM launch . . . Breakfast on the boat at speed!

Mario

MOP
09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
We can pickup some breakfast on the way then do lunch at Claudios, I am checking on launching in Greenport about 2-3 miles from where I think we should be.

Planetwarmer
09-11-2010, 03:13 AM
A friend of mine let me borrow his 28 skater with 2 merc 2.5 race motors for the LOTO shoot out trip the weekend before last. That would be a perfect boat for this race.

The owner of this skater that I borrowed has a 46 Skater called Freedom 1. He ran it in the Miami to Bimini and back this year. He won the piston class.

MOP
09-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Called my Lt. buddy on the Southold force we have no problem using the ramp in Greenport, it is another real nice ramp. That will save us 25+ miles of running up bay, it is about 1-1/2 miles from Claudios. I figure if we leave my place at 7 that will give us enough time to hit the deli on the north road, should have no problem being on station by 8. Phil

maddad
09-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Is there room for one more boat, truck and trailer?

MOP
09-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Yes! You can launch where we will be going in, give me a call after 6 I will give you directions to the ramp.

Phil

MOP
09-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Langston Made it down but will have a tale of woe, going to chase him out of the rack in a few minutes. Looks like we will have a great day for the race, MadDad is rolling this way as I type will try for some shots of the boats.

Phil

09-18-2010, 07:27 AM
It will be interisting on the outside of the Island today with the ocean swells from Igor.
I wish I could get down to see it.
Dave

MOP
09-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Well it did not happen!!! We were on station by 8:15 after running through 3-4"s for about 6-7 miles, we hung out until a little after 10 then gave up and went to do bloody Marys and lunch at Claudios. Will have to wait for a report from Matty to see what happened, obviously it was called! We got in some nice running after lunch, I got to watch the two hot 18's duke it out. We always have a great time seeing the other D owners!

A-P.S. Even with a bunch of poker run type boats at Claudios they Ooohed and Aaahed the Donzi's as we left gotta love it!!!

Phil

maddad
09-18-2010, 06:12 PM
That was a good time. I heard 1 boat finished the whole lap. 30' Sonic I think. I can't figure how he got by us, unless they delayed the start or something.
It's not often that none of the Donzis are red. We had blue pretty much covered.
Mario's boat looks awesome and can fly!

BUIZILLA
09-18-2010, 06:19 PM
forum on OSO said the Sonic tucked in The Hamptons somewhere for a fuel stop, then kept going... only finisher... turnout was dissappointing, apparently, in an area swamped with offshore boats..

mike o
09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
For the effort to make an appearance for the Donzi team.:yes:

Jraysray
09-18-2010, 08:39 PM
That was a good time. I heard 1 boat finished the whole lap. 30' Sonic I think. I can't figure how he got by us, unless they delayed the start or something.
It's not often that none of the Donzis are red. We had blue pretty much covered.
Mario's boat looks awesome and can fly!

Very very nice!

Greg Guimond
09-18-2010, 09:48 PM
That is an awesome shot at the dock. Should be in a calendar. :cool:

mike o
09-19-2010, 09:39 AM
So Phil, keep me in the loop. Peconic Bay (ect) looks like fun. Whats the scoop with the sound, Have you ever shot across to Old saybrook ever in the 22? I just realized you live way out on that end of LI. Mario, Did you take the CT ferry over to LI? I bet Kenny L would join us, as would others.... Michael

MOP
09-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I have only run across the sound once, was rough going and "Victory at Sea" on the way back. I will stick with my bays and the ocean, the sound kicks up like the Great lakes. The ocean rolls and does not cap up high and close like the sound, Mario and I have gone out into the ocean it is like and elevator ride even at speed you rarely launch.

Phil

Marlin275
09-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I have launched at Montauk many times
and I found the the conditions the same as Phil said.

The weather changes in 10 minutes out there and the ocean
is much different from the Sound on most any day.

Banging in the Sound
rolling in the ocean.

maddad
09-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I just read on OSO that an 18' Donzi came up from Virginia area to enter the race and was KO'd by a bad water pick-up. Anyone know who the madman is?
Here's Phil hanging in the lee of the ruins, near Plum Gut, and Mario running out there in the a.m.

mphatc
09-20-2010, 05:44 AM
A great time, good friends, rough water, wind, sun and Donzis!

Three of us ran out to the Ruins in Gardner's Bay which is on the direct path from Plum Gut to Montauk, but they started late at 9:13 vs the scheduled 8 AM . . so we missed the Sonic by 45 minutes. We all got bored just hanging in the lee of the Ruins, and the ride back was very wet for some:yes:

This thread on OSO has good tale . . and the best sumation . ..
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/239327-tale-heros-today-yesterday.html

Wish I had some pics of the run out to the Ruins and back, it was rolling white caps, some square waves, a bit of tidal rip with a crisp northeasterly . . and a forecast of 5-6 knot . . BS I say to that!! no getting o n plane in this stuff, like skiing big moguls!

I did cross from New London on the ferry, somehow I can't convince my wife to run across in the Corsican at night . . but on the ride home last night she asked how long it would take to run from Portsmouth NH to Long Island in the Magnum!!! I think I need to show her the charts . .

Off to work . . :(

Mario

MOP
09-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Even though we missed out on seeing the Sonic run by we had a great weekend! Weather forecast for Sat was 5-8mph that was a joke, Mike called me as we were driving out to the ramp and said more like 20 gusting to 30. Man he was not lying, the ride out provided a dash of air time and spray. We laid off an old fort now called the Ruins, during world war II the fort was used for bombing practice. There are still a few passages that can be gotten into, the sea bottom is still littered with various ordinance anchoring is no recommended. We stayed out there bobbing like corks for a little over two hours, it was windy and cold Mario and Bonnie the speed freak had there feet bundled in a blanket. We finally gave in and made the run back, Maddad stuffed his 18 four times, he said one time the wall of water coming over the bow was near a foot high. We made it to Claudios and Mario donated a dry top to mike, we hung out with some lunch libations and good tales all of which make for a great day. A few shots of what went on that day and two from the peaceful ride Mario and I had the next day, I hope to recap this next year in calmer conditions. The "Speed Freak" comment above relates to Bonnie liking to ride in Mario's boat @ 6000 RPM with a major Chit eating grin, Linda enjoys my arm chair 22!

The little speck at the bottom of the island shot is the ruins, many years back there was a road from the island to the fort long blown to kingdom come. Notice a couple of seals in one fort shot! The two sedate shots are from Sundays run of about 30+ miles of sight seeing.

Phil

mphatc
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
As a fresh water boater . . I really enjoyed running in the brine this past weekend!

6000 RPM with my too small 21P LH cleaver . . no matter how hard I try I can't get the stability out of this boat in freshwater like I do in salt.

On Winni this boat chine walks as soon as I run over 5K . . and I experienced none of that all the way to 6K this past weekend. And I went over 5K numerous times . . . I was amazed at the acceleration at 5500 rpm when I gave her more . . my tach stops at 6K, I think there's more there yet!

I need to try some different props! But right now it's not in the cards . . $$$ is all going to the Magnum project.

Mario

MDonziM
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Good times out on the east end. Had a long shot of catching a ride on a 41' apache but the boat wasnt ready. Have not heard any stories from the race but I think the ocean swell was up pretty big.

The Glen Cove poker run is this Sat. Not that big, maby only 25 boats, but there will be some action running around LI sound this weekend. I'm going to try and spectate on the mag.

bzsmarina
09-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I just read on OSO that an 18' Donzi came up from Virginia area to enter the race and was KO'd by a bad water pick-up. Anyone know who the madman is?
Here's Phil hanging in the lee of the ruins, near Plum Gut, and Mario running out there in the a.m.

not a madman, just a guy trying to live my childhood dream of offshore racing and adventure. I was ready to break the boat In two or finish the race. but It ended up being the single most disappointing day of my life. due to my water pick up bashing on the trailer on those lovely NY roads. not getting to run crushed me. but the day was not all bad. I did fix It enough to run the boat some and go out to see the sonic team come on In for the win. the high light to the day was meeting Michael Aronow, Charlie McCarthy, Guy Lamotta, and Billy Frenz and many other great racers. loved hearing the old racing stories of Don. as we watched the race on the gps screen. it was a honor to meet them. very very sad to see only 2 guys who liked donzi`s there. great meeting donzIboy and the guy who's family bought donzi from don. very nice guys. also the guys from the British team were great guys. thanks to anyone who was there to respect Don and Michael. for the great things he had done In his great life. he Is a HERO. congratulations to the sonic team to have what It took to win and finish that race. here are a few pictures. BZ

maddad
09-21-2010, 08:49 PM
That's a great story BZ. I've already got this silly idea of maybe next year....
Well, we'll see. Just doing 30-35 to get behind the jetty at Greenport from the ruins I did 4 really good submarine impersonations. 270+/- miles of that would be TOUGH.

Marlin275
09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
that picture of Michael Aronow
says it all
he looks just like his dad !

mphatc
09-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Maddy's Daddy,

NO, Stop the thought . .I don't have enough towels and shirts for you if you try this in an 18', plus . . . . . .
There is not enough space in the bilge for all the bilge pumps you'll need!

There are some nice used boats on the market that would easily be capable, maybe an old Donzi 28!

Mario L.

bzsmarina
09-21-2010, 09:37 PM
here are a few more pictures. thanks ill be back next year for sure and running till i make it or break!!!!!

BUIZILLA
09-22-2010, 06:33 AM
BZ.. what model and year Donzi is that?

bzsmarina
09-22-2010, 11:50 AM
go to www.nationalpowerboat.com (http://www.nationalpowerboat.com) for many more pictures.

maddad
09-22-2010, 01:37 PM
BZ.. what model and year Donzi is that?
I just took a closer look, and it looks a lot like a cig20 without the windshield.

BUIZILLA
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Monzi...

bzsmarina
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
That's a great story BZ. I've already got this silly idea of maybe next year....
Well, we'll see. Just doing 30-35 to get behind the jetty at Greenport from the ruins I did 4 really good submarine impersonations. 270+/- miles of that would be TOUGH.

thanks it still was a great time. better if i ran. hope to see you there next year. come and support HORBA.

Phil S
09-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Monzi...

I thought I recognized that glue......:wink: