PDA

View Full Version : VOLVO Drives!!

mphatc
09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Friends,

As summer ends I'm planning the off season work . . . to that end I desire to locate the best of the best Techs with Volvo drives.

In particular the tech must have some experience in setting the drives up for high power application, and know what the failure items in the drives are.

I have two drives from my 1968 Magnum that need to be thoroughly rebuilt and modified with some of the old performance mods from years past. Unfortunately the machine shop that did this work is gone. I have business relationships with the people that can replicate the parts in stronger materials.

Any tips, leads etc greatly appreciated!

Mario L.

Kirbyvv
09-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Performance Marine in Bolton Landing on Lake George may be able to lend a hand. Ask to speak to Jason 518-644-3080.

mattyboy
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
There is a guy in NJ , Chet Purves he did some work to my 250 before I bought it in 2000. He is said to be very familiar with Aronow Boats and Volvo drives.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-10911978-purves-marine-works-west-creek

Conquistador_del_mar
09-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Mario,
There must be a few guys who are experts in the older Volvo Penta drives. Finding them is going to be the trick. My old friend, Kit, used a guy in California who found and rebuilt all his E drives and other components which I now have. Kit passed away 11 years ago, and I don't know who he used. I will put out some feelers. Did you ask Bud Weisner yet? - just a thought. Also, one of the older distributors or dealers would be a good source of competant rebuilders - http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/industrial_engines/find_distributor/pages/google_distributors.aspx Please let me know what you find. I believe someone could make a business out of specializing in the older Volvo Penta drives since there are so many still out there and they are so well built. Bill

LKSD
09-08-2010, 04:55 PM
We do them too, they can get pricey, but what doesn't these days.. We are redoing a 280 currently for behind a BBC.. It was pretty roughed up inside from corrosion, but it is coming along nicely now.. If you need me you already know my #.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Tony
09-08-2010, 09:43 PM
French Creek Marina in Clayton, NY, has a ton of old parts and drives.
I don't know anything about their mechanics, though.

Here's a link that may or may not help...
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/parts_service/parts/pages/old_or_obsolete_parts.aspx

:pimp:

28 Contessa
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I have a 28 contessa w/duo prop out drive. I just got the boat this year and it had been sitting for about two years not ran any. I was running @ 3900 rpm and 18.5 knts. we dropped the hook and went kayaking for a while and when I went to run her up I was getting alot of vibration and only 3000 rpm. I am wondering if the U-joints went bad? Any thoughts? Whith her in neautral she runs up to 4000 rpm fine. I am thinking outdrive problem. The out drive supposedly only had an hour on it. Any help would be appreciated.

mrfixxall
09-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I have a 28 contessa w/duo prop out drive. I just got the boat this year and it had been sitting for about two years not ran any. I was running @ 3900 rpm and 18.5 knts. we dropped the hook and went kayaking for a while and when I went to run her up I was getting alot of vibration and only 3000 rpm. I am wondering if the U-joints went bad? Any thoughts? Whith her in neautral she runs up to 4000 rpm fine. I am thinking outdrive problem. The out drive supposedly only had an hour on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Bent prop blade or its loose..

LKSD
09-10-2010, 07:38 AM
The prop is the easiest place to start. HOWEVER, if it is not damaged then you probably have a bad u joint set or most likely a bad gimble bearing set in the transom assembly. I would check your U joint boots for a tear or rip. If they are, then water probably did its evil deed to them.. These old volvo drives are quite durable unless you get water in the drive line. Then it causes some grief to say the least. The good news is that it usually does not affect the drive itself if the boots let water in to ruin the u joints and gimble bearing(s) if you catch it in time.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

mattyboy
09-10-2010, 08:23 AM
if no vibration or noise is present in nuetral I would bet your problem is in the lower unit ( the upper and u joints are always spining)

bent prop, prop shaft, duo prop timing???

u joints usually give some signs of failing chatter or vibration especially in tight turns

LKSD
09-10-2010, 10:43 AM
if no vibration or noise is present in nuetral I would bet your problem is in the lower unit ( the upper and u joints are always spining)

bent prop, prop shaft, duo prop timing???

u joints usually give some signs of failing chatter or vibration especially in tight turns

Matty,
You are correct, that usually holds true. However if the U joints are in the earlier stages of degradation or only the gimble bearing(s) are on the way out you may not always get those symptoms in the same fashion. Some load or speed may be needed before it becomes more evident.

But I do agree bent props or shafts can also very easily cause vibrations, as can a prop out of balance.. :) Jamie

28 Contessa
09-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Took the props in for service, I printed a service manual I haven't seen anything refering to timing? I marked the shaft alignment when I took the props off. Thanks