View Full Version : best prop

DAULEY
09-06-2010, 10:30 AM
looking for a good prop for the x18
has 270 drive left hand
still running original prop that came with boat back in 1973

BigGrizzly
09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
That prop is not original equipment. The props I sell are the best!!!

gcarter
09-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Bob, that's not a prop.
That's a battery!
It desperately needs SST or aluminum.

axelkloehn
09-06-2010, 02:52 PM
looking for a good prop for the x18
has 270 drive left hand
still running original prop that came with boat back in 1973

Holy sh.....! How fast is your boat with this "prop"?

DAULEY
09-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Holy sh.....! How fast is your boat with this "prop"?
ran at 3500 rpms 39.6 0n gps alot more to go speed limit on lake is 35 on holidays dont need a ticket got one three years ago going 95 and it cost 500 smakers

DAULEY
09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
griz and george what do you suggest

MOP
09-06-2010, 07:04 PM
George I know you said it is a battery, but bronze wheels were very common years back. For some reason the Volvo's seem to tolerate them just fine. I had boats that were in the water all the time at my marina with no issues.

mrfixxall
09-06-2010, 07:08 PM
If your looking for speed find a ultra and the pin in the last outter hole..If you want better handling, go with grizz's prop..

Grizz my x18 came with a OJ 21 p bronze prop from the factory, i got it with the boat along with several other oj bronz props..

DonziJon
09-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey Dauley; I think George and Grizz are just busting your chops. That's an antique looking prop but if it works for you..stick with it.

It's only a "Battery" if you leave the boat in the water day after day. (Electrolytic .....Brass/Bronze Vs Aluminum in the drive)... Prop Vs Drive. Based on the picture, and the complete Lack of apparent corrosion on the drive....you DON"T have a battery problem. :bonk:

gcarter
09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
If bronze works w/the drive, then I concede, but it looks scary to me.

BigGrizzly
09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Actually, I was not busting your chops. I bel3eive this to be true as do all I have sold the props to. Fixx is close to right but it depends on the boat. Kirby has all the props there are and the bronze is not his favorite, not by a long shot. As for corosion, and the bronze prop and old Volvo drives it is not an issue unless someone has a high charge rate boat next to it with bad grounding then it will take a very long time. This was true back in the 50/60. so this is a on issue so take that off the table. In my Corsican's case my props are faster then the Ultra and do not cavitate. and have a higher cruise speed per Rpms. Now cruise is always higher then others on all boats.

DAULEY
09-07-2010, 09:45 AM
grizz
what would be the best prop i posted gps speed at 3500rpms with bronz prop what would i see with one of your and will the boat handle better
lake was pretty rough about 2footers and alot of boat traffic wash

BigGrizzly
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM
With my Corsican I run about 42-45 at 3500 maybe a tad higher. Check with Kirby he has it all mapped out. All I can say is my prop seem to be standard equipment on Lake George Donzis. I am not going to give a sales pitch, let the others who use it do that, they have nothing to gain.

Kirbyvv
09-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Bob, go with one of Griz's Solas props, either a 19" or 21". I'm running the 21 on my '78 X-18, with a new 260 hp motor. Run about 4800 rpm and max speed of 60. I tried the 19" and 21" and liked the 21 better for my boat. The props have very little slip.

maddad
09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Dauley, add me to the list of guys who run a solas. Better cruise speeds, better handling, better top speed. That's my expierience, on my boat vs. the 24" ultra I used to run.

mrfixxall
09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Dauley, if you decide to go with a ultra look up DAH propeller .http://www.dahpropellers.com/

He is in your neck of the woods and knows how to make the ultra hook.

Any time you go from a 14'' propeller to a 15 1/2'' propeller its going to make the boat perform better,top speed doubtful but it will increase the handling..I just cant run that big of diameter prop with the power I'm running, the boat will lean in one direction and the tabs wont ever correct it.

DAULEY
09-07-2010, 07:29 PM
if i go solas what pitch and what prop 350motor 320 hp 270 drive
if ultra the same question

maddad
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Dauley, if you decide to go with a ultra look up DAH propeller .http://www.dahpropellers.com/

He is in your neck of the woods and knows how to make the ultra hook.

Any time you go from a 14'' propeller to a 15 1/2'' propeller its going to make the boat perform better,top speed doubtful but it will increase the handling..I just cant run that big of diameter prop with the power I'm running, the boat will lean in one direction and the tabs wont ever correct it.
Fix, I think you and I run real close to the same power. Odd how differant boats react. Do you have a nose cone on your drive? I do and have been thinking of taking it off to see how the boat runs without it. It helped with the ultra and a mirage I used with a merc propshaft for volvo, but I've never run the solas without it. It never occured to me the diameter of the solas is what makes it unstable at 70ish. I was hoping the external steering I'm putting together would get it under control.

mattyboy
09-08-2010, 08:22 AM
my 16 did the pull hard lean thing with an old 15 inch elephant ear. it didn't do that with the 15 5/8ths solas.
I was not running near the power you guys are or the speeds.
I am surprised that you got that result with the solas fix.
The only other person I know that had handling issues with the solas was Jay which we think was the difference in the lower from the 200 to the 250 in regards to the anti cav plate( not an issue anymore he has my old 250 lower on it now).
the ultra was the best performing prop i had til i found the solas after that i never tried to tweak the ultra. tweaking the ultra to make it more efficient would make sense .
the real issue with the ultra now is availability and cost, picking up a solas until you find an ultra is money well spent.

I sold off the three or 4 ultras i had for half of what they are asking on ebay now :rolleyes:

Kirbyvv
09-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Dualey, I'd try the 21 solas first. See if Big Griz has a demo available.

BigGrizzly
09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
First let me say this. This prop brakes all the rules as we know it. Trust me on this Maddad, the ultra will not handle better up top. I did the nose cone thing and prefer it on the drive. your drive has a longer aspect ratio then a 270 drive. this usually helps the handling. I did back to back test of the 270vs 280/290 lowers and kept the 280/290 verson. Dualy with your combo the 21 would be my choice.

mrfixxall
09-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Fix, I think you and I run real close to the same power. Odd how differant boats react. Do you have a nose cone on your drive? I do and have been thinking of taking it off to see how the boat runs without it. It helped with the ultra and a mirage I used with a merc propshaft for volvo, but I've never run the solas without it. It never occured to me the diameter of the solas is what makes it unstable at 70ish. I was hoping the external steering I'm putting together would get it under control.

Where is your steering torque tab? with out it your drive will flop around..

If it wont fit with the solas get the one from a late model DP drive (1996 era) you may have to do a little filing to get it to work but it will fit..

their ya go im sharing my secrets again :)

Kirbyvv
09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
The Solas is a big prop. I did file the torque tab a bit to make sure the prop didn't hit it. I never ran it without the tab so don't know how it would handle that way, but I'm also not up in the 70 mph range. I do have power trim and power steering. I can let go of the steering wheel at WOT with the solas. I can't do that with my Ron Hill Thrasher.

mattyboy
09-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice fins there fixx

maddad
09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I have one of the low profile tabs, but have never used it. I'm going to try adding it this afternoon.

LeadSledMerc
09-08-2010, 11:48 AM
if i go solas what pitch and what prop 350motor 320 hp 270 drive
if ultra the same question
My boat is a '70 18' 2+3 with a 250 Volvo. I'm new to this stuff so my approach will probably not be condoned by the experts on here, but here's what I did.
Last year I was running a stock 350 Mercruiser and spun the hub on the prop that came with the boat. I picked up an Ultra 23 from Matty and was happy as hell with it. I picked up a few mph and the boat handled well, so I thought.
This spring I repowered the boat with a healthy 383 (400+ HP) and started off with the Ultra. It ran real good, handled about the same as last year, but was revving higher than I wanted.
Rather than trying to hunt down an Ultra with more pitch, It was recommended to me to pick up a used Solas 23 that was for sale on here. WOW what a difference! I think I lost a few mph, but it bites unbelievable from out of the hole, all the way through top end, and makes the boat handle way better than the Ultra. It also dropped me down into an rpm I like to run.
I don't have trim or tabs, and haven't seen a need for them at any speeds or conditions I've been running...just loads of fun!!:)

mrfixxall
09-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Nice fins there fixx

that would be a customers boat,mines burried in the back of the pole barn :)