PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't pretty

Sweet Cheekz
09-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Got the maggie home and set about checking her out. The previous owner had some real strange ideas about boat trim There was base board and formica all over the boat. Cool here this weekend so a couple of relaxing days of tearing her down. Lots of work ahead.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-05-2010, 08:38 PM
More

Sweet Cheekz
09-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Two more

Jraysray
09-05-2010, 08:44 PM
What is it?

Sweet Cheekz
09-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Part boat and part home from the way the previous owner dialed her in Its a magnum with two outboards, a 135 and a 150 with two fuel tanks in the bow he didn't have hooked up, a tank under the drivers feet and a big tank behind a rear seat. He had baseboard screwed in all around the deck and formica which you can see in one pic in the interior. Floor is rotted and no holes anywhere on the boat ever got resin coated. I am taking off the outboard bracket, home made by the way and converting back to something nice one of these days already have a few ideas
parnell

superhatz
09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Look for a hull number written under the dash...it's an early one...pre-'73ish...

:popcorn:

scippy
09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Hey P,

I forget the story, but did the same person own both Mags?......They certainly look to be the same kinda "save a buck" approach to both. I did notice the corner molding on the perimeter of the deck, formica probabely wasn't to much of a surprize after that!

I wrote down the reg. #'s (NJ 6146 FK) I'll see what I can do.

I did pickup a pair of side grille vents for the sport on Fri. Funny, they were right in the next town from Chadwick beach a place called Ortley beach. My sport didn't have them and I never saw them except for pictures so, I'm wondering are they supposed to be this heavy?........the ones I bought gotta be 2 or 3 lbs. apiece!!. I scratched down the metal and they appear to be a cast of bronze or something.........is that right??

MDonziM
09-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Wow, Parnell, that is rough... bless you for taking on the project. Doing both at once? I'd be curious what the hull # is too.

Marshall

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Scippy They do weigh a lot so I think you got that right. Thanks on the MC numbers Just year and hull id would be great.

All this baseboard still had bar code tags from Home Depot on the back of it. The formica was this awefull color rough finish stuff screwed in everywhere I did eventually find powder blue interior trim. The carpeting was so soaked that it came right out easily. The floor was layed in, plywood, with the edges not attached to the boat and a big space all along the sides so water would just pour into the bottom. Had to be 100 holes in the floor for various things and none of it sealed. I will be sawzalling the floor out this week and getting it all down to glass to check the stringers ect. The tanks were screwed into the floor and he had formica, plexiglass and aluminum pieces all over the boat covering holes that he didn't need anymore, like fuel fills and hatches and bow lights.
Marshall
I plan on finishing my 72 first, then the centwer counsel then this one last. Just wanted to gut it and see whats doing. There was some outboard brackets I intend on using on the cc when I get it done which I took off this one. I did actually find a few other useful things from this baot although clearly someone had stripped it of the real valuable things.

It does actually have forward tanks still in and unattached. Not sure what I might do with those.

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Scippy
The same guy owned them both and died three years ago. Some car dealer that got into racing boats. Found his prescription glasses on board Kind of creepy

Parnell

HIGH LIFE
09-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Parnell, I know the SPORTS were rigged with 2 tanks in front of the cabin bulkhead for balance, but on the SEDAN there are 2-50 gal tanks under the cockpit floor. I also installed 2-36 gal. tanks where the motors sat behind these, motors are on a bracket, balance is very good. In your restoration, what will you use for power ? You should check out this MAGNUM for ideas, Boat Trader.com listing # 97179000 a 27' SPORT. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Michael
Still waiting for some pics of yours I am very curious to see it. I checked out the other one and someone did a real nice job. 299900 or less I cant even buy those motors for that Thats a good deal but as I look at it I see things I would want different so I plow forward with my projects Good thing I like building them so much cause its no deal financially these days

You have 300's right? What speeds do you get with that? I would love 300's but funds at the time will dictate that selection I have not checked out outboards for a while so I will do some research at the Miami Boat show and see whats out there.

I am thinking 50 gallon tanks in the rear. How are your motors for fuel? You decided you needed more capicity than just the 50's? Where did you get the bracket?

Parnell

Greg Guimond
09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Parnell, I can't keep track of all your projects LOL. Is the weedeater a converted 27 Sport I/O ? On OB power, one thing to keep in mind is what octane is readily available on your waterways. In our area, there are only 2 places left that pump 93. One on the Hudson River, and one on the North Shore of LI. There is no one pumping 93 anymore on the CT shoreline. Annoying :(

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Greg Me too!
The first one I brought home is a 27 sport that the former owner slapped two O/b's on. I have already taken them off and will eventually rig with twin I/O's down the road
The other one I am going to get this week has had the entire deck cut out for a cc but last had I/O's and has not been converted. When I finish that one I am going with outboards and want 87 octane fuel motors I am thinking twin 250 4 strokes or whatever the biggest motors I can get without dealing with 93 or oil tanks I want a totally reliable, good riding, solid, low maintenence boat that can hold 8-10 people run in decent size waves and not look like anything else around. I think I have formed a plan on how to accomplish that. We shall see.
Parnell

Greg Guimond
09-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Darn.....weedeaters are comin out of the weeds ! Cool project for a pair of ETEC 300's. Post lots of pics !!

HIGH LIFE
09-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Sweet Cheekz, I have '03 300X motors, mounted on a 18" Stainless Marine aluminum bracket, runs 78 GPS +. Motors use a lot of 93 octane & sip Preminum Plus oil, motors burn 60 GPH @ 6,800 RPM, back off to 4,000 RPM and use 45 GPH. The reason I installed the extra tanks was to fill empty space and use them as reserve, always run the front tanks first + I cruise long distances off the Ma. coast in open ocean. Re: fueling I keep boat on trailer and get 93 octane on land, total cap. 164 gal.. You are right re: finances, I've spent a lot on this MAGNUM and use it alot... Fun per hour is the only way to explain it !!! Would never buy another brand of boat, have a spare SEDAN in the garage that will be restored. "HIGH LIFE"

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Michael
78 is awesome I was hoping for 70 Those are the fastest motors I could get right? I had those on a 32 skater and they ran nice You have oil tanks also? I think they are very light also? I noticed these etec's are 524lbs and I always liked verados I have a lot of research to do but its nice to know the boat will get up and go if I want to get there. I assume the sedan is heavier than a sport and this will be even lighter without most of the deck. Who rigged yours?
Parnell

BUIZILLA
09-07-2010, 07:56 AM
psssssttttttttt.....................

eTecs

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 08:29 AM
r u telling me those are good? Share some thoughts I am looking for all the info I can Thanks Jim

Parnell

HIGH LIFE
09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Parnell, The tag on my motors is 444#, yes I have the 3 gal. remote tank. M y friend, Bob Perette who builds the NIGHT CAT 27, rigged and sold me all the hardware. The SEDAN weighs 5,600 # per factory specs. I'll see if a friend can help me post pics, I'm a better wrench than a computer wiz. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
444 is light The etec's are 529 which is skinny compared to the verados and yamaha's. I have to believe the sedan ways a fair chunk more than a sport and this sport will be lighter still. I look forward to pics. Thanks
Parnell

Greg Guimond
09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
444 for the X is without the lower unit guys ........

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Took the outboard that was on the boat into a place near by today to see if it can run and saw this 1973 race boat magnum. Big blocks, trs and it still had navigator directions for lake st clair. Center throttles and right hand steer. Some lady inherited it and is looking to move it Waiting for the info Probably don't need another magnum but this makes five here in western Michigan that I now know of Anyone recognise it?
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 06:42 PM
444 for the X is without the lower unit guys ........

So total is closer to etec? greg do you like those etec's Looking for input
Thanks
Parnell

BUIZILLA
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
r u telling me those are good? Share some thoughts I am looking for all the info I can Thanks Jim

Parnell love 'em..

I think you can get a 5 year top-bottom warranty right now on a promo...

Greg Guimond
09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Here is my opinion. Given the type of project you are building out, I would pay close attention to the quality of local master tech's, if there is such a thing anymore. The 300X on the dyno has shown 310ish HP while the 300XS has shown 296 on the same dyno. In my opinion, why bother with older technology when you can get a bit more torque from the 300XS and MUCH better fuel economy. The drawback to Merc is high test fuel. If you look over at ETEC, you can burn what you want, and while you may loose a few mph to the Merc, they have a lot of torque which is what you'll want on that type of boat. They also are quiet. You could look at Yamaha but the new SHO 250 does not come in a 25" leg yet. Overall, a lot depends on what your local resources are. HIGH LIFE knows his X motors so that works for him, but that is the exception on that particular motor. Hydrotec can build a stout, reliable Yamaha, but they are in MO. Eric Simon can build a pump gas Merc putting out 335HP but his is in CA.

My .02....with that type of rig...I'd rather give up 6-7MPH and go boating each and everytime. If you wanted to cheap out on motors initially and get a handle on things, you could get a set of 03 04 Evinrude 250's (lots torque) and then swap for ETEC later using most all the same rigging

BUIZILLA
09-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't know a single ETEC that has lost a lower... even the HO's..

can't say that about Merc's

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I really want to burn 87-89 on the water so I can travel around and not worry about gas. I have 93 at my marina but its the only marina on the eastern shore of lake Michigan and there is not 93 anywhere in northern Michigan. I am going to put 4 tanks in this and have some range. Obviously I want the most hp I can get but I never really cared for filling the oil tanks all the time. It looks to me like that is not the case with the etec's? I have merc mechanics around but will have to investigate the etec thing. Lots to consider here I appreciate everyones input
Parnell

BUIZILLA
09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
HydroTec states that a STOCK 250XS makes 294.7@5500

i'd sure like to see some dyno (true fact) tq numbers from these engine models for comparison

smidgen too
09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Took the outboard that was on the boat into a place near by today to see if it can run and saw this 1973 race boat magnum. Big blocks, trs and it still had navigator directions for lake st clair. Center throttles and right hand steer. Some lady inherited it and is looking to move it Waiting for the info Probably don't need another magnum but this makes five here in western Michigan that I now know of Anyone recognise it?
Parnell
Parnell Are you sure it has big blocks??? Looks like the old Bonanza. Still has the Wolverine cast OT exhaust pipes. :) This one has mush race history,:yes: started life as Gill Leiber's Chartreuse, then came to Lake St Clair as the Wishing Well, than Bonanza.. My friend Dan had here on Lake Erie last and painted here silver blue. Looks like some one repainted her. It was a Volvo Mag than Gill did the TRS change in 1974 and won many races. This was for sale for some time on boat trader from 05 to 08 than she sold. I talk about to much :bonk: on OSO about Magnum sports and somebody got her before I could. :( Mark h2o

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Mark
Clearly its the same boat I only guessed with the way the motors were crammed in there that they were big blocks. I knew it was a raceboat for sure the way it was setup Interested in it again. Looks to be for sale and I am getting the info soon Probably don't need another mag. I will let you know
Parnell

smidgen too
09-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Hey Mark
Clearly its the same boat I only guessed with the way the motors were crammed in there that they were big blocks. I knew it was a raceboat for sure the way it was setup Interested in it again. Looks to be for sale and I am getting the info soon Probably don't need another mag. I will let you know
Parnell
I would think this Mag would need a compleat makeover, stringers, transome. As the Bonanza she sank at least once.:boggled: One more Mag for me ??? I have no one at home to tell me NO more boats :nilly: so it could happen, but I have 4 in my fleet allready. My Magnum sedan, Donzi Doral, 29' Mirage ss, & my 24' twin engine Cobra, but you never know I'm weak.:hyper:

dammmagnum
09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Parnell Are you sure it has big blocks??? Looks like the old Bonanza. Still has the Wolverine cast OT exhaust pipes. :) This one has mush race history,:yes: started life as Gill Leiber's Chartreuse, then came to Lake St Clair as the Wishing Well, than Bonanza.. My friend Dan had here on Lake Erie last and painted here silver blue. Looks like some one repainted her. It was a Volvo Mag than Gill did the TRS change in 1974 and won many races. This was for sale for some time on boat trader from 05 to 08 than she sold. I talk about to much :bonk: on OSO about Magnum sports and somebody got her before I could. :( Mark h2o

Mark H2O

I had left messages about that Magnum a year or so ago and they never got back to me
I guess it sold by then

Thank you
Jim

Greg Guimond
09-08-2010, 07:22 AM
HydroTec states that a STOCK 250XS makes 294.7@5500 i'd sure like to see some dyno (true fact) tq numbers from these engine models for comparison

The 250XS is a very stout motor, but given its only a few more $$, for Parnell's application, I would prefer the extra torque of the 3.2L 300XS given the HP is equal.

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Greg
Are we talking Merc here or Etec?
Once I talk to this lady I will post what she says in case you guys are interested in this other mag. It seemed pretty solid but would need a bit of a makeover to make it look like a pretty civilian again
Parnell

Greg Guimond
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Merc ..........

Options List:

Stock Merc 300XS 25" (91)
Stock ETEC 300 25" (87)
Stock Suzuki DF300 25" (87)

Cheap Evinrude 03, 04 250 DFI (Bombardiar Built 3.3L 87)
Eric Simon built Merc 335HP (runs 89)
Hydrotec built Yamaha 250 SHO 4 stroke (but not sure they can swap 20" for 25" yet)

Master Tech support is key whichever way you go

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Master Tech means a mechanic factory certified on whatever motor I buy? How about these trade in dealership deals with 200-300 hours on them Seems like the price is half with everything like steering, props and throttles included? Will I need seperate hydraulic steering? Sorry I know nothing about eggbeaters.
Thanks guys
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Merc ..........

Cheap Evinrude 03, 04 250 DFI (Bombardiar Built 3.3L 87)
Eric Simon built Merc 335HP (runs 89)
Hydrotec built Yamaha 250 SHO 4 stroke (but not sure they can swap 20" for 25" yet)

Any ideas on cost and the best place to buy them?
Parnell

HIGH LIFE
09-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Sweet Cheekz, On my 300X I used IMCO hyd steering. "HIGH LIFE"

Greg Guimond
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Parnell, email me directly at greg.guimond@emc.com

I have to be careful 'round these parts with the weedeater posts LOL

Sweet Cheekz
09-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Will do Thanks
Parnell