PDA

View Full Version : Lake George in the news

Donziweasel
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100903/ap_on_sc/us_invasive_clams

We have our own issues out here with Zebra mussels. Starting this year there are inspection stations near lake put ins and you have to have an aquatic invasive species sticker on your boat. At the stop they make sure your plug is out and there are no mussels on the drive or hull.

Sad these clams seem to cloud the water in Tahoe and possible LG. The Zebra mussel actually cleans lakes through filter feeding. Lakes that are naturally murky or cloudy after the mussel invades are crystal clear.

jl1962
09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks for posting.

The Lake George Association and other agencies take this stuff very seriously. I checked their website and they already had info on this:
http://www.lakegeorgeassociation.org/pdf/Asian%20Clam%20Public%20Info%20Sheet%20high%20res1 .pdf

Additionally numerous boat ramps now have volunteer Lake Stewards who will inspect your boat and not let it in the Lake unless it is spotless (not usually a problem for Donzi owners!). I usually spend about two hours cleaning my 18' CC outboard after pulling it from Long Island Sound before trailing it to the lake. It's a pretty small inconvenience to preserve the water quality which is still EPA drinkable.

The biggest threats to the Lake are:invasive species, development which alters runoff paterns and fertilizers. The Lake "flushes" itself about every seven years and my friends assure me that noisy powerboats have little impact on the longer term water quality - Phew!

-JL

Donziweasel
09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
No sweat Jay. I hope they keep them out of there. Sounds like they are nasty little mothers.......

I don't mind paying 5.00 for the sticker if the funds go to keeping invasive species out of our waters.......

Sweet Cheekz
09-04-2010, 07:28 AM
DW
We know what you mean about the zebra's Cleaning lake michigan crystal clear but they hurt like a mofo when you step on one.
Talking about invasive species doesn't get any worse than these stupid asian carp heading thru Chicago for Lake Michigan If that happens all hell breaks loose here for sure.
Funny you mention Tahoe as its the only lake I have ever been on that I think is actually prettier than Lake George
Parnell

jl1962
09-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Tahoe is spectacular but sooooo cooooold!

Was there about 20 years ago (over Labor Day), weather was terrific, hot, sunny. After a hike I made up my mind to jump in - wow! Couldn't have been much over 60! Hope to get back one day soon.

JL

Donziweasel
09-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Parnell,
If you think Tahoe is pretty, check out Jackson Lake here in Jackson Hole. It is the most beautiful lake I have ever been on. Google a few pics, you won't be disappointed. Never even knew it exsisted until I moved here. :)

Been reading about the carp. Sounds like they have electric fences underwater to try and keep them out of the Great Lakes. Hope they don't have a power outage!!!! :bonk:

Invasive species are becoming more and more of a problem everywhere. New Zealand Mud Snails, Zebra Mussles, Whirling disease, etc....are all some of the ones we are dealing with. That doesn't even count the plant species. Unfortunalty, when it comes to aquatic species, us boat owners are to blame for a lot of the spreading unfortunatly. A zebra mussel can live a year out of water on the back of your drive. It is up to us to check out boats regularly when going from one body of water to another. :(

I haven't heard about the zebra mussles making the great lakes clear, but they have made some naturally stained lakes out here clear as a bell. Takes alot of organisms that are very beneficial out the waters. Fish and plant species suffer. :(

Jay, yeah, Tahoe, Jackson, Yellowstone, cold as hell. Jackson Lake gets to maybe 71-72 during the summer. I am originally from Atlanta, so although I swim and enjoy them, it is always a little chilly...... :)

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 09:27 AM
DW
If that is the lake in your 16 pics over the years then I can see how pretty it is. Where is it in relation to the ski area? I was out a few years ago skiing and snowmobiling in Yellowstone and the scenery was breathtakingly beautiful The local female population was not as inspiring in town the week we were there but everyone was friendly and the skiing was worldclass.
Parnell

Donziweasel
09-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Damn Parnell, you were in my neck of the woods and didn't look me up? Would have loved to have hooked up with ya. You could have even stayed in the guest cabin.

Our winter crop of women are not quite up to summer standards, and you should see summer standards...... :)

That is Jackson Lake in the pic of Boo Boo on the 16. It is about 25 miles north of the ski area and about half way to Yellowstone from Jackson.

Hope you had a good time in the "Hole". Next time, you will have to look me up my man!!!

Kirbyvv
09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Lake George has inspectors at the public launches, but there are alot of private launches at the various motels and marina's. LG has been fighting milfoil for about 15 years and so far is staying ahead. Supposedly there isn't enough calcium in the water for Zebra muscles, but these new buggers sound worse.

Tahoe looks beautiful, and Lake George is in my heart, but those shots of Jackson Lake look unbelievable.

Donziweasel
09-08-2010, 12:17 PM
They are all beautiful. I would have to put Lake Powell up there as well. Pretty amazing lake. :)