PDA

View Full Version : Swim platforms and classics

tmh
09-03-2010, 07:17 AM
I know a number of you would never consider a swim platform or some type of step but I did put a bimini top on my 18 or I'd have a hard time using the boat for more than an hour or two during summers in SW Florida. I see an occassional swim platform on Classics. I'd really like to add something to my 18c as we do a lot of skiing and swimming but I am torn on the aesthetics. I was wondering if a more narrow one would work as a ledge or step in conjuction with using the drive as a first step. I don't know how well that would work and how narrow the platform could be if that would make a nice aesthetic difference while still being functional. I appreciate your comments pro and con.
T.M. Hayes

Tidbart
09-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Do a search on 'swim platform'. I have seen quite a few different ones on Classics and some are very well done.

B

tmh
09-03-2010, 10:05 AM
The search wasn't succesful at finding pictures. I'd love to see pictures of what others have done for getting into their boat from the water.
T.M. Hayes

Tidbart
09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
TM
Try again. Use top search, advanced, put in swim platform, search titles only, get about a dozen threads. Open each and scroll down to see photos.

or click here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/search.php?searchid=1218362

Tony
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22201&d=1152740158

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15228&d=1128467186

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rwestcott2.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31159&d=1187467784

rchevelle71
09-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Not really what your looking for, but if it can be done on a classic Pantera, why not on a Donzi, recently added this to my boat:yes:

Greg Guimond
09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
chevelle, is that a flotation bracket? What was the rough cost?

flying tomato
09-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Conquistador_del_mar
09-09-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31159&d=1187467784

Now that is a great looking swim platform! Bill

Sweet Cheekz
09-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Great looking boat!
Parnell

rchevelle71
09-10-2010, 09:02 AM
chevelle, is that a flotation bracket? What was the rough cost?

Not sure how much flotation it will provide, as it does not continue all the way to the bottom such as an Armstrong would, I have a guy in Miami that did it, best price I could find anywhere $1200 for a single, $1700 for twins. Attached is the most recent update with tabs/motor/dive ladder and steering installed, plan on getting it wet for the first time since Jaunary this weekend.

Greg Guimond
09-10-2010, 09:24 AM
That is a great price, I just had an Armstrong priced and it was $2100 without any options like ladder. Nice looking install !!

rchevelle71
09-10-2010, 01:00 PM
That is a great price, I just had an Armstrong priced and it was $2100 without any options like ladder. Nice looking install !!

Thanks,

This did not include the ladder, that was an extra $160.

The armstrong finish quality is probably a little better, this guy did an excellent job on the welding, but there are a few MINOR defects where he had to do some grinding, and it is slightly noticeable. He farms out the powdercoating, and I wasnt too impressed with their work it is coated all over, but they got some blotchy spots(too much powder) on the plate where the motor mounts. It is extremely functional, but you get what you pay for. If you are interested in one, I can give you the guys info.

jameseaves
09-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Now that is a great looking swim platform! Bill

Does any one no where you can get those thru hull exaust tip in that length they are really nice

thescooter
09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
try this

AndyDiSario
09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Hello,

I added a simple swim platform and a 3-step telescoping ladder to our Donzi Sweet 16 Classic, outboard model. This was my first and foremost order of business during initial ownership. The platform is very similar to the Garelick Marine Outboard Swim Platform. The swing-down telescoping ladder is readily-available from West Marine and other suppliers. They work great! You will see pictures included in posts 187 and 188, page 13 of my thread entitled Donzi 16 OB Horsepower Questions.

I did the work myself, drilling as necessary both above and below the water-line, using only sturdy SS fasteners sealed with Marine 5200, of course. I used through-bolts wherever I could reach the nuts inside the stern hatches. Otherwise, I used large self-tapping SS screws if necessary. The boarding handle needed to be heated to bend to the contours of the Classic stern.

I also added SS boarding assist handles to the stern, and even the motor cowling. I added traction tape in the splashwell using it as a secondary boarding (staging) area before stepping onto a boarding towel we usually place on the stern bench.

My wife, most friends and I live in SE FL. It is hot here about 9 months a year and everyone wishes to swim and/or snorkle to cool off. Availability of a boarding platform was the #1 requirement to my buying, using and keeping a Donzi Classic.

My opinion about ladders on small boats is atypical and quite severe. The Coast Guard and NMMA should require all small boat manufacturers to include an adequate method (ladder or whatever) to board the boat after falling overboard into deep water. This should not be the responsibility of the owner (as was my own case), the dealer, or even some distributor. It should be the responsibility of the manufacturer, mandated by law. The boarding system should not be some ladder stowed in a cabin or hatch to be mounted before entering the water. It should be one easily reachable by a tired, solo passenger *after* he/she falls in the water and swims back to the boat.

I would have tried three times to the best of my ability to fit a ladder to our Classic. Failing this, I would have towed the boat to Ft. Lauderdale and paid whatever was necessary to get the work done. Failing this still, I would have sold the boat.

Instead, the ladder and platform work so well, I pulled the inadequate boarding ladder off our other boat -- an 18' Stingray bowrider. I filled the sub-standard-width mounting holes with 5200 and started over, adding a four-step version of the same telescoping ladder to the Stingray's stock, molded-in, higher-mounted little swim platform

Good luck.

Write or call me if you have questions.
Andy DiSario
DiSario@bellsouth.net
561-479-0578

Ghost
09-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, just thinking out loud on this one. Anyone ever see a stern drive boat that the average (uninjured) person couldn't board pretty easily from the water?

I realize the author of the thread is speaking about an outboard, I just was reminded that while there are many I/Os that the average person would not think were easily boarded, most were probably not too tough, using the drive as a ladder.

And I fully acknowledge that over time, some drive boardings will result in a slip and perhaps a trip to the ER for stitches. My Volvo DP was plenty sharp for this. Gotta find the blessings of a v-drive boat where we can... :)

AndyDiSario
09-14-2010, 10:22 PM
(deleted as mistaken duplicate)