PDA

View Full Version : 22' donzi

HIGH LIFE
09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Contemplating buying a '86 22' DONZI, boat has SBC w/ Alpha. Have a spare 300X in garage. I know the Harbormaster bought the ONLY 22 O/B made, and converted it to I/O, was told boat didn't perform good. But, I belive the motor was mounted on the transom. I would put motor on a bracket & use the engine comp. as storage. If set up properly I feel this could be a worthwile project. Motor would be a 20" w/ Sportmaster lower, weighing 444#. Has anyone tried O/B on a 22? Your comments ? "HIGH LIFE"

Greg Guimond
09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Here is my .02 ......

Harbormaster should never have done that to a 1 of 1 factory authentic OB and you shouldn't reverse an IO either.

mphatc
09-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Harbormaster acquired that boat From Woodsy on Winnipesaukee . . he's not active here of late, but you can find him on Winni Forums

Woodsy had a nice BBC yellow 22 before the OB 22 . . and there's comments on that boat in Donzi.net . .

Mario L.

scippy
09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Contemplating buying a '86 22' DONZI, boat has SBC w/ Alpha. Have a spare 300X in garage. I know the Harbormaster bought the ONLY 22 O/B made, and converted it to I/O, was told boat didn't perform good. But, I belive the motor was mounted on the transom. I would put motor on a bracket & use the engine comp. as storage. If set up properly I feel this could be a worthwile project. Motor would be a 20" w/ Sportmaster lower, weighing 444#. Has anyone tried O/B on a 22? Your comments ? "HIGH LIFE"

Michael, I just love your approach to everything OB.............you are the OB Meister!

BUIZILLA
09-03-2010, 06:02 PM
going on memory...

HM's boat was originally ordered as a single OB bracket, then changed b4 production to a twin Armstrong bracket setup, with twin Yammi's...

I don't see any way a 20" engine is going to work without it being submerged coming off plane, most std. brackets are 16" setback

CDMA
09-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Not factory but well done.

CDMA

Greg Guimond
09-03-2010, 07:28 PM
A 20" would be tight on that hull, and you would need at least 18" of setback to trim it up. All this leads to a Porta Bracket and a 25" leg which is easily gotten in the 300X as High Life already knows. You could go 25" leg, but my question is why do it? Go find a factory OB Cig 21 or the like?

Greg Guimond
09-04-2010, 08:02 AM
CDMA, where did you see that rig? Looks like they splashwelled and then shortened the doghouse.

HIGH LIFE
09-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Made a typing mistake, 300X has a 25" mid. A lot of boaters complain about storage on their boats so if I keep the engine hatch and install a floor on top of stringers I would have plenty of room. A porta bracket would be the most versitle bracket with high lift, also I firmly believe the prop shaft should be run even with boat bottom, devoloping more forward thrust. A 18" set-back would be a good starting point. I'm looking at this project as a h.p. to weight experiment. "HIGH LIFE"

Masterkey83
09-05-2010, 10:56 AM
That picture was taken at the Abaco Beach Resort in the Bahamas,I live right down the street.I can't say I've ever seen that boat before.

Greg Guimond
09-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Allright HIGHLIFE, I told you to lay low with the weedeaters on this site, but if you insist on a 22 conversion here is the list I'd like to see LOL

1. Open the bow like Carl C
2. Add a pad like Greg G
3. Increase the tank size like Parnell
4. Full side steering for that X or yours
5. Call Scott Porta for the custom Porta-Bracket
6. And of course, the first step......hardcore transom changeover. pic attached to help you out

I expect you to post up in the 2011 Fastest Classic thread with that bad boy :cool::pimp::lightning

CDMA
09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Correct on the Abaco Beach Resort.

I found it particularly interesting as I think doing a motor well and not a bracket is the right way to do a 22 Outboard. While the bracket would undoubtedly be faster you would inheretly be chasing handling issues because of the screwy CG. While the handling issues could be worked out in calm water a properly balanced boat is key for rough water comfort and handling.

As it is a 22 with the BBC is poorly balanced. The best running rough water 22's are the SBC / Alpha ones.

It looked to me in this case they just cut into the transom and made a motor well out of the engine compartment (or part of it). The glass work was fair, not perfect. But I liked how they did it.

Chris

Greg Guimond
09-06-2010, 04:19 PM
High Life would need to get the donor 22 up on the sling to see where the C/G is currently fully rigged