PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Carrera boats

glenncal1
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I like the looks of this one, are these respected boats?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/1930488872.html

mc donzi
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I was a big fan of the Carrera from about 30 years ago. A good friend(a pilot for Delta Airlines) of my brother-in-law had a 24'. I never saw the boat but my B-I-L said that it was a great boat. Apparently they were everything that the seller says it is. I don't remember it being designed by Don Arranow but he may be right. I remember reading in some off-shore magazines back then that the 24' Carrera won consistently in 30' class.

The boat, obviously, has been been repowered and updated. With the upgrades and providing it hasn't had the crap beat out of it... it's probably worth the $17K(IMHO).

If I wasn't the happy owner of a 22C and about 3500 miles away... I'd be on it like a fat kid on an Oreo.

Dave

smidgen too
09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Carrera 24' were great boats for there size. The black [S-30 EXPRESS] rocked !!! This one [A-7] was set up by a friend for racing but never really raced it, he sold her around 10 years ago. It's been for sale many times on craigslist, it's on again. http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/1906644555.html

1996Z15
09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Carrera 24' were great boats for there size. The black [S-30 EXPRESS] rocked !!! This one [A-7] was set up by a friend for racing but never really raced it, he sold her around 10 years ago. It's been for sale many times on craigslist, it's on again. http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/1906644555.html

Notice the Mariah Magnum 27' in the background (2nd picture)

Fast Shafts 1
09-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I thought the Mariah was a Lancer or Aero?

dammmagnum
09-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I like the looks of this one, are these respected boats?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/1930488872.html

If any one is interested in this Carrera, I would be happy to take a look at for them

Carrera's were very well built and could really run in the rough stuff.

Thank you
Jim

Fast Shafts 1
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I've raced against Papa Dukes and latter on Wazzup II (24 Carrera) and they are well built-but a bit heavy. They also appear "top heavy" at certain speeds and tend to fall over. I had a first hand view since I often ran just behind them! Carrera's are very "forgiving" boats due to being well built-you won't break it.
My new engine is going in my raceboat this week-I hope to put an end to running behind them!
Bob G., 606 Lock'd Up Racing

dammmagnum
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I've raced against Papa Dukes and latter on Wazzup II (24 Carrera) and they are well built-but a bit heavy. They also appear "top heavy" at certain speeds and tend to fall over. I had a first hand few since I often ran just behind them! Carrera's are very "forgiving" boats due to being well built-you won't break it.
My new engine is going in my raceboat this week-I hope to put an end to running behind them!
Bob G., 606 Lock'd Up Racing

Bob

What are you going to be racing this year?

I remember the 9M Damm-Carrera race boat was a really well built and pretty fast for being a heavy boat.
Thank you
Jim

smidgen too
09-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Notice the Mariah Magnum 27' in the background (2nd picture)
I shot that pic after I docked [Mariah] it in that well, the year 1980.. And yes it is a Jim Clem :nilly: hull, a Lancer not a real Magnum sport..

Fast Shafts 1
09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Dam,
I race a 24 Sunsation in OPA class 6, #606 "Lock'd Up". Although I haven't raced this year, I'm hoping to make Atlantic City in two weeks. I just had a new engine built by Kurts Marine-and its going into the boat next week!
Last year I ran all but one race, this year I had engine issues due to the marina not winterizing properly-money was also an issue. Everyting is back on track-can't wait to go racing!
By the way, I also worked for Jeff Galente years ago hauling boats. I've got pics of the orange Instigator. Maybe Scippy can scan and post them?
Bob

dammmagnum
09-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Dam,
I race a 24 Sunsation in OPA class 6, #606 "Lock'd Up". Although I haven't raced this year, I'm hoping to make Atlantic City in two weeks. I just had a new engine built by Kurts Marine-and its going into the boat next week!
Last year I ran all but one race, this year I had engine issues due to the marina not winterizing properly-money was also an issue. Everyting is back on track-can't wait to go racing!
By the way, I also worked for Jeff Galente years ago hauling boats. I've got pics of the orange Instigator. Maybe Scippy can scan and post them?
Bob

Hello Bob,

Great about the racing, I miss it also. so , I am happy for you that you can get in some racing this year.

I raced with Jeff G. in all three of his race boats . We worked on his three race boats and my Magnum Sport also. When I brought my Magnum Sport up from Fla, I had to pull both engines to change the oil pans, and I asked Jeff to help at the old Time Out Marina in Toms River,, after that Jeff became good friends and worked on our race boats together.
It was sad to lose him so young. He talked me into selling him Plum Crazy
and then sold it pretty much right after he brought it.
Be nice to see The Orange Instigator. We raced the Instigator in the Geenwich CT race. with Johnny Bochis(Crazy Greek)

Have a good weekend and nice Holiday
Thank you Jim

Fast Shafts 1
09-05-2010, 01:26 AM
For what its worth, I just saw John 2 weeks ago while getting my hair cut-he looks (and acts) the same. John even showed up at our OPA race last year. He was surprized that some of us knew who he was-Crazy Greek, I told him he was partially responsible for me having this addiction to racing! In a way I think that made him feel good...:)
Bob

dammmagnum
09-05-2010, 02:12 AM
For what its worth, I just saw John 2 weeks ago while getting my hair cut-he looks (and acts) the same. John even showed up at our OPA race last year. He was surprized that some of us knew who he was-Crazy Greek, I told him he was partially responsible for me having this addiction to racing! In a way I think that made him feel good...:)
Bob

Bob

Yes, Johnny is great guy, Had a lot of fun with Johnny back then.
Have not seen in many years.

Jeff and I even raced the "Instigator" Magnum in the 1978 Benihana GP.
We all use to hang at John Kent's Marine Repair Shop on Fischer Blvd in Silver Bay, Toms River. John K worked on Johnny's Crazy Greek 27 Signiture race boat back then along with Freddy LaPoint. A long time ago.

Thank you
Jim

1996Z15
09-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Since you guys are from the south Jersey area and are reminiscing about the old days perhaps you might remember a few boats that had an impact on me from back then.

One of my favorite boats was a bright orange 28' Cigarette SS called "Orange Krate"; for it's time that was a very fast boat.

Another was a bright yellow 27' Magnum Sport that was called "Golden Girl".

I often wonder what happened to these boats.

Greg Guimond
09-05-2010, 08:35 AM
The Florida Carrera 24's have/had a great reputation, but time takes its toll. If you climb all over it, and everything is AOK, you would have something pretty cool. For 17k it needs to be in fine shape. I guess the other issue is what is your intended use? There are a LOT of great options out there in that size.

Here is an 80's Switzer 24 ......pic #1
And a 90's 7' wide Warlock 23 Offshore .......pic #2
and the "other" Carrera, a rare 2000's 8' wide 238 ......pic #3

These are all true deep V's . I remember a phone chat I had with a prominent builder. He said that glass is like china. When you drop an old piece of china on the floor it will shatter, but a new piece will bounce and probably stay intact. Just make sure you really do the correct inspection.

dammmagnum
09-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Since you guys are from the south Jersey area and are reminiscing about the old days perhaps you might remember a few boats that had an impact on me from back then.

One of my favorite boats was a bright orange 28' Cigarette SS called "Orange Krate"; for it's time that was a very fast boat.

Another was a bright yellow 27' Magnum Sport that was called "Golden Girl".

I often wonder what happened to these boats.

Hello

The only bright yellow Magnum Sport that I knew was
Bud Crist's "Rated X" that ran around the Bay , was pretty fast with Merc Speedos

Can't remember about the Orange Cigarette
but was a few hot Hi-Po boats on the Bay at that time.

Thank you
Jim

HTRDLNCN
11-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Late to the thread but if you still looking for info on
the Miami Carrera's made by the Picon family feel free to email me
Frank@damncarrera.com

HIGH LIFE
11-13-2010, 10:36 PM
dammmagnum, Wasn't there another MAGNUM named " HAIRY CANARY" ? "HIGH LIFE"

dammmagnum
11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
dammmagnum, Wasn't there another MAGNUM named " HAIRY CANARY" ? "HIGH LIFE"

Hello HighLife

Yes, there was a Yellow Magnum Sport called Hairy Canary that was owned by Smarty's(Stephen) father over on the OSO site. From the photos ,,looked like a very nice clean Magnum.

Thank you
jim