PDA

View Full Version : GPS Question

asap
09-01-2010, 07:36 AM
I have a 2006 38ZR twin 525 EFIs. (you may remember seeing this boat at the Javits or AC boat shows in Jan of 2006)
I was lucky enough to buy the show boat and love every minute of it.

This year my first problem(s) showed up.
Main GPS (between the 2 tachs) registers only 5200 -at any speed.
When engines are first turned on GPS first registers 4600, then zeros itself out (self diagnostic?), then jumps straight to 5200 and sticks there.
(When running at any speed, if I hit the tattletale, the needle zeros out for 2-3 seconds then jumps back to 5200). The tattletale does not record last high speed (I guess this would be obvious??)

Before I start ripping the console apart, does anyone have any suggestions as to causes and a short "to-do" check list of what I should be looking for.

Has anyone else had this problem?

(not sure if related, but the same weekend, my stero went out and also does not work)

Thanks

Tidbart
09-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Got a manufacturer or any photos? I am a bit confused. You talk about a GPS and RPMS in the same sentences? Speed and rpms are measured by different devices.

Little more clarification might help with your issues?

Have you called the manufacturer and inquired about this? Got a manual on the gauges?

Bob

mrfixxall
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I have a 2006 38ZR twin 525 EFIs. (you may remember seeing this boat at the Javits or AC boat shows in Jan of 2006)
I was lucky enough to buy the show boat and love every minute of it.

This year my first problem(s) showed up.
Main GPS (between the 2 tachs) registers only 5200 -at any speed.
When engines are first turned on GPS first registers 4600, then zeros itself out (self diagnostic?), then jumps straight to 5200 and sticks there.
(When running at any speed, if I hit the tattletale, the needle zeros out for 2-3 seconds then jumps back to 5200). The tattletale does not record last high speed (I guess this would be obvious??)

Before I start ripping the console apart, does anyone have any suggestions as to causes and a short "to-do" check list of what I should be looking for.

Has anyone else had this problem?

(not sure if related, but the same weekend, my stero went out and also does not work)

Thanks

the stereo and gps may be on the same circuit,i would pull the radio first and check for power at the fuse leads,if theirs no power their then trace it back to the fuse panel or the cabin or dash circuit breakers

rchevelle71
09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Got a manufacturer or any photos? I am a bit confused. You talk about a GPS and RPMS in the same sentences? Speed and rpms are measured by different devices.

Little more clarification might help with your issues?

Have you called the manufacturer and inquired about this? Got a manual on the gauges?

Bob

I am confused also, but if he is talking about a GPS speedo, he has a bad battery in the antenna, it(the antenna) must be replaced.

Fluffy Foo-Foo
09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I am confused also, but if he is talking about a GPS speedo, he has a bad battery in the antenna, it(the antenna) must be replaced.

Go to OFF SHORE ONLY forum. Search GPS. There is A LOT of stuff about the batteries in the GPS antenna including how to replace it(with pictures!).:)

Dr. David Fleming
09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
If you are still trying to sort this out - maybe try this -

I believe you have a GPS speedometer between two tachometers - one for each engine. Speedometers measure boat speed and do this by communicating with a GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) through a domed antenna. You may have a problem with the antenna - this is what the guys are talking about - speed is measured in miles per hour MPH.

Tachometers - you have two - are used to measure engine speed - in RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) the new type of SmartCraft gauges have a memory function as you describe and it sounds like this is the problem you are trying to troubleshoot. One of the members suggested you see if your stereo system was wired off of he same power source as your instruments causing a power supply problem.

I would call Livorsi Marine in Chicago - they manufacture and or sell most of the instruments in your boat - talk to Fred Ortega the consumer rep. - he should be able to help you figure it out. Before you do this you might check all of the wiring connections for a loose wire and or any corroded terminals - this usually makes electronic equipment go nuts.