PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate the Velocity against Donzi

Selenium
08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
In general as a boat Velocity and Donzi? And the Velocity 260/280 against Donzi 26zx/28zx? Here's the thing:

1. I can find 2003 Velocity 260 (Merc 496) and 2003 280 (Merc 575 Supercharged with Super Chiller) locally in Seatle
2. I'm looking at 2001/2002 Donzi 28zx in FL: Salt Water Usage, No Trailer (3-5K), and Shipping Cost (3-5K) that I have to deal with.

mrfixxall
08-31-2010, 07:56 PM
In general as a boat Velocity and Donzi? And the Velocity 260/280 against Donzi 26zx/28zx? Here's the thing:

1. I can find 2003 Velocity 260 (Merc 496) and 2003 280 (Merc 575 Supercharged with Super Chiller) locally in Seatle
2. I'm looking at 2001/2002 Donzi 28zx in FL: Salt Water Usage, No Trailer (3-5K), and Shipping Cost (3-5K) that I have to deal with.

Not to fond of them(Velocity),had a friend of a friend in 1997 hit a wave in his and when the boat landed it literally fall apart..When the boat blew apart and while he was on his way out of the boat through the bottom he hit his chin on the steering wheel and broke his neck..then he drowned because when his neck broke it severed hid spinal cord..

he may have been going to fast but i wouldnt think the boat shoud not have came apart like it did.

here's the story.http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-07-28/news/9707280262_1_navy-pier-murky-water-coast-guard

Marlin275
08-31-2010, 08:49 PM
"the whole boat just broke"

Not acceptable . . .

FISHIN SUCKS
08-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Very sad story, I hate to hear/see/read that.

Here's my $.02. From what I understand the Velocity hulls are very light, fairly fast (for their class), and......in my opinion, ugly! I have not been able to warm up to any Velocity I have ever seen, whether it have a cool whorehouse paint job or just plain jane. But, from what I understand, motor for motor, the Velocity's can run. I love our 28ZX, from the lines to the way she handles. Don't know if the twins are your thing or not, but I LOVE'EM......from docking to handling.

Sorry in advance if you are in love with the lines of the Velocity and I offended, wouldn't be the first time, but to each their own. Good luck in your search,

tom

Marlin275
08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
in my opinion, ugly! I have not been able to warm up to any Velocity I have ever seen, whether it have a cool whorehouse paint job or just plain jane.

Didn't know these boats
but I agree
"not a looker"

don't look original

little fountain beak . . .

Greg Guimond
08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
I'd look at this instead , very rare and lines (if you like) are similiar.

2002 250S COLE WORLD CLASS

Date: 2010-08-06, 1:16PM PDT
Reply to: sale-bf7vd-1884576186@craigslist.org (sale-bf7vd-1884576186@craigslist.org?subject=2002%20250S%20CO LE%20WORLD%20CLASS%20-%20%2439000%20(LAKE%20HAVASU%20CITY)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Flasvegas.craigslist.org%2F boa%2F1884576186.html%0A)

2002 250S COLE WORLD CLASS 496/425 H.O X DRIVE WITH XR UPGRADE GEARS. THIS BOAT IS IMMACULATE CALL SKIP @928-486-4851 FOR SHOWING YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED. WILL CONSIDER TRADE

The Hedgehog
08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Here's my $.02. From what I understand the Velocity hulls are very light, fairly fast (for their class), and......in my opinion, ugly! I have not been able to warm up to any Velocity I have ever seen, whether it have a cool whorehouse paint job or just plain jane. But, from what I understand, motor for motor, the Velocity's can run. I love our 28ZX, from the lines to the way she handles. Don't know if the twins are your thing or not, but I LOVE'EM......from docking to handling.
Sorry in advance if you are in love with the lines of the Velocity and I offended, wouldn't be the first time, but to each their own. Good luck in your search,
tom

Wow, that is big coming from a closet Checkmate owner! Lol:thumbsup::alky:

I looked high and low for the perfect 26-28 footer. I discussed this with many big single owners. I was told over and over by those that had rigged them with big power that they are not the way to go. Fast? Yes. Ride like a bass boat? Yes. Sure they will go 100+ on glass. Throw in some small waves and all bets are off. I ended up with a 26ZX. It is no all out racer but is rigged much better than the V. I would do a 28 as well with all combos.

smidgen too
08-31-2010, 10:11 PM
here's the story.http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-07-28/news/9707280262_1_navy-pier-murky-water-coast-guard[/quote]

[The accident forced the cancellation of the Silver Cup Challenge Power Boat Race, which was scheduled to start off Navy Pier at 1 p.m., Kirwen said. Vitullo's boat was not entered in the race]

I remember that day very well, I was the referee for that Silver Cup Race. From what I remember that Velocity was a mess with a very tragic end. Not only was there a boat accident but on land the L train started on fire also. After that the city said No Race.

Selenium
08-31-2010, 11:25 PM
My preference is the Donzi...I agreed the lines are way better that the Velocity. Velocity curving up to where the windshield meet is not my taste. But finding the right Donzi is so hard....28ZX.

FISHIN SUCKS
09-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Wow, that is big coming from a closet Checkmate owner! Lol:thumbsup::alky:

Wow is right you sh!t slinger........checkmate.......that's funny!!!! For the record, No checkmates here. Who loves ya Bill??? I do I do.

I feel better knowin that I didn't offend ya Selen. Finding the right boat can be a challenge. Trueser's 28ZX Scorpion came from out in the Sea-Tac area 3 yrs ago so I know some are out there. Now whether they are for sale or not, that's another story. Check Craigslist or ebay maybe. Good luck, ours was worth the wait.

mrfixxall
09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Here is one close to you,he effed up on the addy tho! volvo dont make xr drives and the pics look like volvo sx drives which are faster then the merc's,this one is close to you..
http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/1862340147.html

all others i found

http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=donzi+zx

glashole
09-01-2010, 10:30 AM

tom

+1 ON THIS OPINION

as always i agree with tom
minus all the hate of course

FISHIN SUCKS
09-01-2010, 08:55 PM
+1 ON THIS OPINION

as always i agree with tom
minus all the hate of course
Haha.

......and this is saying a lot considering Shea (Glashole) is a Classic man (Mr. Anti ZX).

I really like that 28ZX in the Chicagoland area (white deck, black sides/checker board and red stripe). I am not a fan of the Volvo outdrives from a service-ability standpoint, I prefer the Bravo I's.

Oh, and I'm a hater:bonk::tooth:

blackhawk
09-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Any boat can come apart if pushed beyond it's limits.

I would crawl around and drive them both and make your decision.

FISHIN SUCKS
09-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I like my odds with my 13' Boston Whaler.

Good advice checking out both of them, but I still think the Velocity's are ugly (opinions and A-holes:kingme:)

BigGrizzly
09-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Been around the block more then once. And if the V was better I would say so, but there is no comparison in the salt water or rough. One of my friends said they are nice boats the first time out then that changes in a hurry

fasttrucker
09-03-2010, 11:44 AM
My preference is the Donzi...I agreed the lines are way better that the Velocity. Velocity curving up to where the windshield meet is not my taste. But finding the right Donzi is so hard....28ZX.
Have you checked boattrader.com and I-boats.com and powerboatlistings.com and shogen in Il. lots of donzi,s.I also think you should look at a newer 27zr like the one I bought.2007 they are priced low right now.
If you are going out in rough water then buy the donzi

usaranger4u
09-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Not to fond of them(Velocity),had a friend of a friend in 1997 hit a wave in his and when the boat landed it literally fall apart..When the boat blew apart and while he was on his way out of the boat through the bottom he hit his chin on the steering wheel and broke his neck..then he drowned because when his neck broke it severed hid spinal cord..

he may have been going to fast but i wouldnt think the boat shoud not have came apart like it did.

here's the story.http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-07-28/news/9707280262_1_navy-pier-murky-water-coast-guard
I read this and had major flash back to 2002. I was in a 22ft velocity on lake O in FL and we hit a little 1ft white cap and the boat launched and landed on the right side then bounced to the left. When the boat came to rest, the deck and hull had compleatly seperated leaving the driver out cold in the back of the boat with a concussion form the steering wheel. Me I had a borken thumb and sore neck, only to find out years later while at the doctors, I had fractured my neck in the accident. Not a fan.

GBond
09-05-2010, 09:25 PM

And there you go...Gezzz

Shanghied Again
09-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I have sold Donzi and a couple Velocitys..
Major difference is a Velocity is lighter faster and has a pad, knocks the crap out of your back. They also need Tab to keep them under control.. The biggest problem is resale value. I have a friend that has by trying to get rid of his for 4 years. Horrible boat to drive in rough water.

The Donzi is a heavier boat deeper V and has steps to air rate and gives you a much better ride and better in the rough stuff. a tad slower on top end but the ride is well worth it. also Donzi has a good name and resale is much better.

JimG
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Had a Velocity. Thoroughbred actually. Loved it. Great in the rough, but you couldn't wuss out. They are drivers boats, made to go fast. Up on the pad, could not be beat. Wimp out and slow down, beat you and momma to death. Stepp builds an awesome boat. But he should not bother putting a second seat in them!

Build quality was great on mine, and I thought it was gorgeous. The larger ones are works of art.

If you ever get a chance, drive one. Kind of like a early Porsche 911, you have to learn how to drive one. But once you master it, they are amazing!

blackboat
09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I read this and had major flash back to 2002. I was in a 22ft velocity on lake O in FL and we hit a little 1ft white cap and the boat launched and landed on the right side then bounced to the left. When the boat came to rest, the deck and hull had compleatly seperated leaving the driver out cold in the back of the boat with a concussion form the steering wheel. Me I had a borken thumb and sore neck, only to find out years later while at the doctors, I had fractured my neck in the accident. Not a fan.

I was racing a 22 foot velocity with a 300 hp outboard motor in a 2 foot chop. He later informed me that he broke his arm in that race trying to keep up with me. These boats ride high on the pad but they are a handful to drive.