PDA

View Full Version : Not a good day for Team Jefe

Team Jefe
08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Snapped a blade off the port prop today. Running fine coming into Kemah, then as I came off plane I felt nothing, as I was Idling along, somethign felt wierd, looked back and the port motor was shaking....shut it down and found this.............

Team Jefe
08-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Just heard from several on FB that say its looks liek a stress crack/split blade. the lack of damage to the other blades made me thing so too, but there looks to be a curled up part like it hit something??????

fasttrucker
08-30-2010, 07:07 AM
I would buy a new prop instead of trying to fix it.Local guy here got his fixed and next time out it broke off again.(no refunds)Then he bought a new one.Wasted a lot of money

DonziJon
08-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Improper Heat Treating after the last repair was probably the cause. That blade material was way Too Hard (brittle) and that's why it broke. Some of the temper needed to be "drawn" out of the material after the blade was repaired. :bonk: Drawing out some of the temper is quite easy and is done with a torch.... Same as tempering a screwdriver blade. :)

Annealing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(metallurgy)

HIGH LIFE
08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Who made the prop ? I use 4-blade Hyrdomotive that have been labbed. "HIGH LIFE"

joseph m. hahnl
08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Looks like it had contamination in the Casting, You can see the corrosion in the crack,It also looks like, that has been cracked for quite some time.
That was a hanger and probably completely broke off by hitting the cavitation plate.

gcarter
08-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I think I agree w/Joe.

Pismo
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Sad.

BigGrizzly
08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Ok guys forget the corrosion thing. That prop is over two years and has never been refurbished. If it were stress there would be harmonic wear marks like rings on a tree stump. As for hitting something it is possible. I have seen many props that hit things and bent only one blade. Jefe, I will call you.

joseph m. hahnl
08-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Ok guys forget the corrosion thing. That prop is over two years and has never been refurbished. If it were stress there would be harmonic wear marks like rings on a tree stump. As for hitting something it is possible. I have seen many props that hit things and bent only one blade. Jefe, I will call you.

There is no doubt from what I see in that casting, That there is high Iron in the blade. not only can you see it in the break but if you look close you can see it on the lower surface runing at the bottom of the blade.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58333&d=1283129205

blackhawk
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Looks like it had contamination in the Casting, You can see the corrosion in the crack,It also looks like, that has been cracked for quite some time.
That was a hanger and probably completely broke off by hitting the cavitation plate.

I agree.

BigGrizzly
08-31-2010, 08:49 AM
I sure hope there is iron in that stainless steel. This boat is a trailer boat and does not sit in the water. Remember there are more then 400 different kinds of stainless, with different of iron in it for strength. without the prop in hand I will not discuss this, photos do not always tell the true story. Jst look at the glamor shots on face book,what you see is not what you get. 'I have a picture of me and I look handsome, it lies, I may be cool but handsome I am not:)

glashole
08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
lost a blade myself once

suprising how balanced they are with all the blades