PDA

View Full Version : Yeller is a happy man.....

fogducker III
08-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Glen came over yesterday and we installed the Blackhawk drive. Only took us a couple of hours and we were on Lake Cowichan by about 3pm......

Couple of small things to sort out, I wll let Yeller elaborate, but all in all I think it is a successful transplant.....:thumbsup:

Carl C
08-29-2010, 12:29 PM
86.4 on the first run. Not bad! Yeller's already topped my best.

fogducker III
08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I must say I was very surprised as well Carl, first run and he was even having some gear shifting issues, so with a little "tweaking" and some seat time I think he will squeeze a couple more out of her.....

PS. I think he might have scared himself at some point.....:eek:

mrfixxall
08-29-2010, 01:20 PM
I must say I was very surprised as well Carl, first run and he was even having some gear shifting issues, so with a little "tweaking" and some seat time I think he will squeeze a couple more out of her.....

man that is just wrong! Cover that man up..:boggled:

GBond
08-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Great performance gains ...and beautiful country!

Phil S
08-29-2010, 01:26 PM
ROFL !! :eek: :)

Greg Guimond
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
BondG, Beautiful ? Pleeeeeeeeeze

axelkloehn
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
what was the max speed before the swap? Just curious...

by the way, happy birthday :happy_bi:

GBond
08-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Okay...the first post only! :biggrin: Thanx GG

fogducker III
08-29-2010, 03:02 PM
what was the max speed before the swap? Just curious...

by the way, happy birthday :happy_bi:

Thank you sir.....:)

I am not sure of his speed to begin with, Yeller......:confused:

Greg Guimond
08-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Ol yeller may be takin a poke at fastest in 2010 ......:canada:

gcarter
08-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Thank you sir.....:)

I am not sure of his speed to begin with, Yeller......:confused:
I think he used to get frustrated w/it in the low '70's.
It certainly wasn't because of the lack of capability, just uncontrollable.

Ghost
08-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Another yellow streak...

22times2
08-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I told you glen this will be the best move you ever made with the blackhawk tell me what you you think stable or what and with more seat time you will be flying.regards mike.pm me with your thoughts.

yeller
08-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Not 100% sold on the BH yet. Will have to run it a while longer to make up my mind.

The nice thing about the drive is top speed handling is much better. Cruising 75~80 is fairly easy to handle now. That is something I couldn't do before. With the Bravo, anything above mid 70 was a handful.

I actually thought I might get a bit more speed out of the swap. Not disappointed, because my main goal was to improve handling. I'm guessing I picked up 3~4mph. Maybe with a bit more time, I'll get a couple more. I was spinning the 31's at 5200 according to the tach. I didn't notice hitting the limiter, but I must have been on the very edge.

The bad part of the BH and the reason I'm not sold on it yet, is mid speed porpoise is way worse than with the Bravo. It settles out above 60, but if I cruise at 50, I have to have the tabs all the way down.
I'm also a bit surprised at how hard it is to get on plan. I know the drive is a lot shorter, but I thought the dual props would help it get on plan easier, but that's not the case.

The one mechanical problem I'm having is with the shifting. Neutral to Reverse to Neutral is fine, but it's a bit stiff going into Forward, and getting it back to Neutral is really tough. I have to jerk the control real hard to get it out of gear. When the engine is off, shifting is much easier, but it is still a bit stiff getting it from forward to neutral. Scared the crap out of me when I first took off from the dock. The boat moves FAST when at idle, and I damn near nailed a houseboat because I couldn't get it out of gear.

Fogducker thinks it is probably the shift linkage adjustment. Any other thoughts???

It was a fun day though. Jeremy had his Scarab SCS and we met up with Johnny who has a 22zx. I wish I could have taken a video of the three of us blasting down the lake side by side by side. It sure look cool from where I was sitting.

Thanks for the help Jeremy. Really appreciate it.

yeller
08-29-2010, 08:52 PM
A few pics of the 2 drives for comparison

yeller
08-29-2010, 08:57 PM

WHAAATTT??? I was just checking the wind direction.........isn't that how everyone does it?? :nilly:

gcarter
08-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Any idea why it's still porpoising at lower speeds? If leg leverage was the reason previously, the Blackhawk is pretty short.

CHACHI
08-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Glen, not bad out of the blocks, actually, pretty damn good.

Can't wait for the final tweeking.

Ken

fogducker III
08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Here are a few more pics, not the greatest but show some ride attitude...

BigGrizzly
08-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Nice job Glen--seat time. Yes they do come out of the hole bad but so do shortys. This is why i have a Konrad normal X dimension on my boat.

blackhawk
08-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Any idea why it's still porpoising at lower speeds? If leg leverage was the reason previously, the Blackhawk is pretty short.

I am not familiar with his previous porpoising problems. But the lack of leverage from the shorter blackhawk causes the mid-range porpoise. Not enough forward thrust as cruise and not enough leverage to "push" the bow down. So, the tabs have to be used.

Jraysray
08-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Had the same exact issue with shifting. Had to kill the engine to get it in and out of gear. Make sure you didn't disconnect it accidently.

yeller
08-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Had the same exact issue with shifting. Had to kill the engine to get it in and out of gear. Make sure you didn't disconnect it accidently.Thanks, but not the problem.

I still have to play with the linkage adjustment like Jeremy suggested, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Could the shift problem be internal to the drive?

BlakeSullivan
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
I never noticed that when it was mounted on my boat but from reading a little research I know it could be a normal issue with that drive and they do make an upgraded shifting kit just simply because there is so much torque while in gear it is a fight to get it to click back to neutral.

Sweet Cheekz
08-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeller
Did you by chance measure the distance from the bottom of the boat to the middle of the prop in that first pic Somewhere betwenn 4 1/2 and 7 1/2"s? Just curious as it is a measurement I am collecting. Thanks
Parnell

yeller
08-30-2010, 12:56 PM
To quote Blake, "...it is a fight to get it to click back to neutral."

That's an understatement. I feel as if I'm going to snap the control off I have to pull so hard.

Parnell, I never measured from bottom of boat to prop shaft, but I did take a measurement from bottom of transom assembly to prop shaft. It is in a thread somewhere on this site. I'll have to find it. I can then measure transom assembly to boat bottom.

George might know where it is. He was trying to collect similar data before.

gcarter
08-30-2010, 01:10 PM
That data is long lost...sorry!

I think Yellers original issues had to do w/a low "X" dimension and the leverage generated by the extra long leg.
I've ridden in the boat and it was a handful.

yeller
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Forgot to mention, I also seem to have a vibration running through the boat with this drive. I'm going to try adjusting the prop timing like I have seen suggested in other threads and see how it goes. 22times2 previously PM'd me what he did to get rid of his vibration, so I'll see how it works out.

yeller
08-30-2010, 01:17 PM
That data is long lost...sorry!

I think Yellers original issues had to do w/a low "X" dimension and the leverage generated by the extra long leg.
I've ridden in the boat and it was a handful.I did have Titan drive the boat with the Bravo and I admit he ran it better than I could, so I do have to take some of the blame. He did admit it was a bit tougher to handle than his boat though.

Bamboo Loui
08-30-2010, 01:50 PM
at least kind of-- Glen I am real happy for you. Like you I am finding out at least some of the issues I have had have been me-- but sure is cool for you that now you can open up your throttle, have some fun + come home with clean shorts!!!- you' ve waited a long time:superman: have lots of fun and keep us informed.:)

axelkloehn
09-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks, but not the problem.

I still have to play with the linkage adjustment like Jeremy suggested, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Could the shift problem be internal to the drive?

I had the same issue with my bravo shifting- it took me a whole day to figure the adjustment out. I moved the lower cable up and down in the slot of the forw lever arm, I adjusted both cables for-and-back many times, still tough to handle or sticking in forward or reverse, or tough to pull or cracking in gear, or, or... and suddenly just shortly before giving up it turned out to be fine!!!
Take your time, changing the drive for sure has an effect on the shift adjustment in my opinion, others might correct me.