PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Updating My Dash

Carl C
08-26-2010, 07:05 AM
The droid phone gives me internet most places off-shore and the 525 is set up for Smartcraft. I wanted to leave my dash stock but now wonder if I should redo it with a smartcraft display and a marine pc in the dash. I could have real time streaming weather radar with the pc, also videos, music, movies and keep up with the boating forums. It is something to ponder for awhile as I wouldn't start the project until the end of this boating season. Should I do it?
http://www.comarkcorp.com/products/marine_computers.shtml?gclid=COHz3MmL16MCFeI55wodP iA9wQ

Papu
08-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Of course you should do it! Then have us over for a ride. By the way, the link is accurate, but my browser won't load it. I had to go their main page and navigate from there. Not sure whats up with that.

gcarter
08-26-2010, 08:31 AM
I think, that during the rest of your life, you should think of all sorts of ways to spend more money on your boat!:wink:
I think this should become your life goal.
I don't think you should ever set any limit of any sort of what goes into it.

Well, maybe you could set a life time limit of say $500,000.00 and then see how fast you could get there.:yes:

Maybe we could start another poll about how much you could spend on it.

Carl C
08-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Of course you should do it! Then have us over for a ride. By the way, the link is accurate, but my browser won't load it. I had to go their main page and navigate from there. Not sure whats up with that.

The link works for me. Anyone is welcome to come along for a ride. Temps will be back near 80 next week and I'll be on the Big lakes. There are other marine PCs I'm sure. That was just to show that they exist! One big factor would be to find a bright enough one. I could build my chartplotter into the dash also. Instead of the traditional gauges I would have 3 monitors.

glashole
08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
i am with george on this one, but i did vote to change the dash

eventually you are going to want to sell it and move up

don't expect to get the cake out of it you are putting in but it would be cool

VetteLT193
08-26-2010, 08:54 AM
how are they in the sun? My Droid is great for navigation with the Navionics software... if I could read the darn thing.

I have wanted to do a boat computer for a long time... my thought was to have a custom app to be able to tap into the engine as well as do stupid stuff like radio. My vision of it is with regular gauges though, at least for the basics. I can't imagine looking at a computer screen at a quick glance and get the info I need while bouncing around. I like the bright orange needle pointing in a direction to fill me in.

DickB
08-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Visit mp3car.com for software and hardware ideas. I thought about putting one in my car, a convertible, and had concerns about being able to read the display. Look for sunlight-readable display screens that are transflective.

Jraysray
08-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I think, that during the rest of your life, you should think of all sorts of ways to spend more money on your boat!:wink:
I think this should become your life goal.
I don't think you should ever set any limit of any sort of what goes into it.

Well, maybe you could set a life time limit of say $500,000.00 and then see how fast you could get there.:yes:

Maybe we could start another poll about how much you could spend on it.

Killin me George! My thoughts exactly but hey, Carl is bringing the HEAT!

Do your thing Carl! Damn the torpedos!!!!

CHACHI
08-26-2010, 11:31 AM
[quote=Jraysray;575959]Killin me George! My thoughts exactly but hey
quote]

Ken

Marlin275
08-26-2010, 11:38 AM
You want to be on the boat
not the internet . . .

the season is too short
less is more . . .

Ghost
08-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Not so much for the forum use onboard, but the weather might be of use to you on those PIB trips...

Ed Donnelly
08-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Supercharge first, Arneson second, then go for the dash goodies

But keep those things under $20,000 total
Then you will still be under the $100,000 22' Right???? ....Ed

Ed Donnelly
08-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Can you guys imagine

Between George and Carl, what kind of Donzi these guys would build??? ..Ed

DonziJon
08-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I think what Carl is talking about is a "Glass Cockpit". This is State Of The Art in Aviation. As an OLD Aviator, I prefer "Steam Guages" so I am not enthusiastic about this technology........ but if you have the money ............Who's to say..??? :nilly:

BTW: The link didn't work for me either. :bonk: DJ

BigGrizzly
08-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Go for it. Your a pioneer. This is your dream. You will make it work you always do. Now get your but toan event.

Phil S
08-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Since we're spending your money Carl......I'm with Ed on this one. Put a yellow supercharger on that blue engine !! :yes: :)

LKSD
08-27-2010, 07:22 AM
I like the idea of a chart plotter, but I still like traditional looking gauges.. I think that a nice chart plotter placed right and the use of traditional gauges looks good.. but that is me.. :)

I too agree that what ever you decide to go with you will make it look nice, you have done some nice stuff for a do it yourself-er... My fav so far was the cabin in the 22.. If mine wasn't rare, I would seriously consider doing it myself.. I truly dig the extra usable space and finished look in there.. :) J

Carl C
08-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I appreciate the input so far. The boat is where I want it performance wise. There is only one part left to the puzzle; Since installing the 525 I have not had most gauges. I bought the new wiring harness but I still need a digital to analog conversion box and to get the ECU flashed to put out an analog signal. There still may be some issues since this is a fuzzy topic according to other boating forums. Sooo, this winter I can put the new harness in and try to get the analog gauges all working or I could change to the smartcraft display, in dash marine computer monitor and an in dash chartplotter. How I would do it I'm not sure yet but I would probably have to cut out most of the dash and have an aluminum plate made. It might be possible to patch some holes and get the 3 monitors to fit into the glass dash, which is what I would prefer. I'm at 93k now, give or take a couple, so my entire investment in this boat would be under 100k:). I'm sure I could sell her for that:wink:. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping the analog gauges but if I could do this right I might go the other route.

Ed Donnelly
08-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Only $93,000 ???? You want to lose your Man Card???

Get it over $100,000 before Oct.. Nearly everyone with a 22' has $90,000
into theirs:nilly::nilly:..................Ed

fogducker III
08-27-2010, 06:00 PM
I appreciate the input so far. The boat is where I want it performance wise. There is only one part left to the puzzle; Since installing the 525 I have not had most gauges. I bought the new wiring harness but I still need a digital to analog conversion box and to get the ECU flashed to put out an analog signal. There still may be some issues since this is a fuzzy topic according to other boating forums. Sooo, this winter I can put the new harness in and try to get the analog gauges all working or I could change to the smartcraft display, in dash marine computer monitor and an in dash chartplotter. How I would do it I'm not sure yet but I would probably have to cut out most of the dash and have an aluminum plate made. It might be possible to patch some holes and get the 3 monitors to fit into the glass dash, which is what I would prefer. I'm at 93k now, give or take a couple, so my entire investment in this boat would be under 100k:). I'm sure I could sell her for that:wink:. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping the analog gauges but if I could do this right I might go the other route.

Carl, why don't you have the screens pop up from the top of the dash? James Bond style....:yes::wink:

Carl C
08-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Carl, why don't you have the screens pop up from the top of the dash? James Bond style....:yes::wink:

If only the boat were bigger.... http://www.marinecomp.com/

Marlin275
08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
If only the boat were bigger....

It can be bigger . . .
Canada in minutes
all year round

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13202

Carl C
08-28-2010, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=Marlin275;576108]It can be bigger . . .
Canada in minutes
all year round
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13202[/QUOTE

Yikes!! Business is good but not that good. :nilly: