PDA

View Full Version : Chien Hwa Trawlers

RedDog
08-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Any board knowledge on Chien Hwa Trawlers? Got a lead on a 45 footer at an almost affordable price - at my budget

MOP
08-24-2010, 09:28 AM
The only one I sold failed survey miserably, had leaks by the radar arch and several other areas. The one by the arch worked its way down into the main aft bulkhead, the surveyor called me into the aft stateroom saying you have to see this. You could pull out gobs of soft wood out of the small locker below the arch, this was not visible during the engine bay inspection. As with 85% of ALL Taiwan build boats much caution should be taken with a very good inspection, many suffered from cabin side, deck house roof and deck delamination. Oddly the hulls of most all were quite sound! Before you pluck down the $$$ for a survey spend some time looking in the hidden nooks and cranny's and tapping around with a half dollar and a soft mallet. I spent over 20 years being a broker, my advice has always been the same! You are far better off buying an older US or European boat built motor yacht, there are exceptions in that market but the fall into a higher price group. Closing statement "Caveat Emptor"!

Phil

zelatore
08-25-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd generally agree with everything MOP said above. They are pretty popular here on the west coast, as are a lot of Taiwanese trawlers from the 70s and 80s. Marine Trader, Chien Hwa/CHB, Lien Hwa, PT, Kha Shing, Fu Hwa, etc...

The ones I've dealt with were very prone to leaks. Earlier ones had plywood superstructures that loved to rot, while later ones had 'glass that survived better but still sucked up water, especially around windows. The easiest tell-tale is to look at the interior. Almost every one I've seen shows some serious wood damage to the interior teak trim around the windows. Wanna place any bets about how much water found it's way inside the bulkhead before the interior was damaged?

But like anything, it comes down to who owned and maintained it. There are some decent deals out there if the boat is in good condition. I don't care if it's a Chein Hwa or a Hat - get yourself a good surveyor, then stick to him like glue while he goes through the boat. You'll learn a lot more standing beside him when he finds some rot or blisters than what you'll get from reading a report later.