PDA

View Full Version : Types of headliner material...?

fogducker III
08-23-2010, 09:57 AM
So what has anybody used for headliner material other then that fuzzy, thin carpet junk that factorys put in?

I have spent hours ripping the old crap out and removing the glue and now not sure what to put in...or even what is available?

With all these restos going on somebody must have come up with something suitable..???

Tidbart
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Just a thought..... Call an automotive headliner installer and see what they recommend. Worth a shot just for the info.

Bob

fogducker III
08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Just a thought..... Call an automotive headliner installer and see what they recommend. Worth a shot just for the info.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that was one route I thought of, just not sure if the "vinyl" with the holes would stand up that well in "damp" conditions...:confused:

I guess it would depend on the type of adesive I used......

PS. My son suggested green shag.....:boggled:

Tidbart
08-23-2010, 11:09 AM
I guess what I meant to say is that a good headliner business has access to a lot of different materials from all kinds of manufacturers. They usually have lots of catalogs, not just for cars.

I wouldn't use the vinyl with holes either.:bonk: Didn't that stuff go out in the 70's?:wink:

B

This guy has a lot of different stuff.
www.garysupholstery.com/marine-upholstery.html

Check out the Enduratex carbon fiber vinyl.

fogducker III
08-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I guess what I meant to say is that a good headliner business has access to a lot of different materials from all kinds of manufacturers. They usually have lots of catalogs, not just for cars.

I wouldn't use the vinyl with holes either.:bonk: Didn't that stuff go out in the 70's?:wink:

B

This guy has a lot of different stuff.
http://www.garysupholstery.com/marine-upholstery.html

Check out the Enduratex carbon fiber vinyl.

Wow, that is a lot of choices..!!!

One thing I can say is you guys south of the border sure do have a lot more to choose from then us deprived boaters up here...:frown:

Just Say N20
08-23-2010, 10:31 PM
You can make panels out of thin plywood, and cover them with a wide variety of materials.

The reason there is so much "monkey fuzz" out there is that it used to be unbelievably inexpensive, it doesn't really suffer from moisture issues, and it is somewhat stretchy, so it is very forgiving to install.

I have seen some nice work done with vinyl that had about a 1/4" of foam backing that was glued to the panels so there was no sagging.

fogducker III
08-24-2010, 12:23 AM
You can make panels out of thin plywood, and cover them with a wide variety of materials.

The reason there is so much "monkey fuzz" out there is that it used to be unbelievably inexpensive, it doesn't really suffer from moisture issues, and it is somewhat stretchy, so it is very forgiving to install.

I have seen some nice work done with vinyl that had about a 1/4" of foam backing that was glued to the panels so there was no sagging.

Good info, thank you. The foam to vinyl sounds good but thin plywood might be hard to fasten to the bow gunwales...?

I totally agree about the "fuzzy" stuff, they used what was current at the time...and cheap....:wink:

Morgan's Cloud
08-24-2010, 11:45 AM

I also think that is why it was used so extensively . You can put it over virtually any poorly finished surface and it still has a nice 'even' finish to it.

We tried a patch of vinyl when we were redoing the Mag. cabin and it looked like sh*t . And the foam backed vinlys didn't quite look nice enough either.
And we never did find the vinyl with the holes in it , although , with enough backing it just might have worked ...:bonk:

fogducker III
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I also think that is why it was used so extensively . You can put it over virtually any poorly finished surface and it still has a nice 'even' finish to it.

We tried a patch of vinyl when we were redoing the Mag. cabin and it looked like sh*t . And the foam backed vinlys didn't quite look nice enough either.
And we never did find the vinyl with the holes in it , although , with enough backing it just might have worked ...:bonk:

What did you end up using and how did it look....:confused:

handfulz28
08-24-2010, 03:37 PM
I have no idea how you'd find out exactly what the material is/was, but two ideas come to mind:

1) the headliner in my '91 Formula. It wasn't fuzzy, but did have a texture to it. Kind of like a tweed.

2) see if you can check out the headliner in a Honda Accord. Perhaps other Hondas, years going back as far as mid-90s. Some are a smooth-ish vinyl-like, others have had a similar texture as my Formula. Always tight, nice finishes.

fogducker III
08-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I have no idea how you'd find out exactly what the material is/was, but two ideas come to mind:

1) the headliner in my '91 Formula. It wasn't fuzzy, but did have a texture to it. Kind of like a tweed.

2) see if you can check out the headliner in a Honda Accord. Perhaps other Hondas, years going back as far as mid-90s. Some are a smooth-ish vinyl-like, others have had a similar texture as my Formula. Always tight, nice finishes.

That is the stuff I was thinking, not sure what it is called..but I will definatly check around, as suggested, at automotive upholstry installers......:yes:

Ghost
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I think the perforated vinyl is a great look. I dig it far more than the fuzzy stuff. But I think the fuzzy stuff is more forgiving and probably a lot easier to install. Covers more sins. The perforated vinyl will show the shape of what's beneath it. So, if the surface isn't perfect, you almost need to mount it in sections on thin boards. Maybe some folks have put a bit of filler behind it, perhaps with a few strips of wood to pinch it down. Curious if anyone's done that. Seems unlikely in a small cabin like on most Donzis though.

yeller
08-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey Jeremy, give me a call. I can get you the fuzzy stuff, the stuff that is like looped carpet, foam backed vinyl, or foam backed fabric. I have an account here: http://www.jackson.ca/. Download their supply catalog. It has a few samples of what they carry. They have more than what is shown though.

As a headliner for a boat, I actually like the fuzzy stuff. Easy to install and mold/mildew resistant.

fogducker III
08-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Hey Jeremy, give me a call. I can get you the fuzzy stuff, the stuff that is like looped carpet, foam backed vinyl, or foam backed fabric. I have an account here: http://www.jackson.ca/. Download their supply catalog. It has a few samples of what they carry. They have more than what is shown though.

As a headliner for a boat, I actually like the fuzzy stuff. Easy to install and mold/mildew resistant.

Coolie oh man...:wink:

I will check the site out and figure out what I need...

Glen, I am heading out tomorrow for a run, wanna come...?? I have a spare seat, don't need to launch the "monster"....:)

yeller
08-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Can't go tomorrow. I was thinking I'd haul my boat to your place this weekend to switch out the drive. Would that work for you?

If I bring it up there, then I can go for a run in yours as well.

fogducker III
08-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Can't go tomorrow. I was thinking I'd haul my boat to your place this weekend to switch out the drive. Would that work for you?

If I bring it up there, then I can go for a run in yours as well.

That works, call me in the morning and we can sort out details....

Morgan's Cloud
08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
What did you end up using and how did it look....:confused:

It's the fabric stuff that is neither carpet or mouse fur but kindo of makes you think of either of those things. The side that you put the glue on is visually similar to the 'show' side but has a smoother, less fibery finish.

And yes , it is very forgiving on less than perfect surfaces and around bends etc. You can even hide small wires under it in most cases .

Have no idea what it's actually called though .. I left all the names of stuff to the gal who did the upholstery work ...
I can remember 'stamoid' though ... that's what we used for the mooring cover.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-25-2010, 12:25 PM
It's the fabric stuff that is neither carpet or mouse fur but kindo of makes you think of either of those things. The side that you put the glue on is visually similar to the 'show' side but has a smoother, less fibery finish.

And yes , it is very forgiving on less than perfect surfaces and around bends etc. You can even hide small wires under it in most cases .

Have no idea what it's actually called though .. I left all the names of stuff to the gal who did the upholstery work ...
I can remember 'stamoid' though ... that's what we used for the mooring cover.

I believe it is called AquaTurf - it can be used for headliners or carpeting. I used it in my Eliminator as a headliner - great to work with as it molds to almost any contour and it covers imperfections. Bill

fogducker III
08-25-2010, 11:16 PM
You guys are the business..........that is why I hang out here...:wink::yes:

PS....until I am kicked out for asking stupid questions....:crossfing::pretzel:

yeller
08-26-2010, 11:37 AM
I think you already were kicked out weren't you? It's just that you won't go away....:wink: :kingme:

I found my upholstery sample box. Haven't been through it yet, but I believe I have some headliner samples and will bring them this weekend.

I'm leaning more towards Saturday. That ok?

fogducker III
08-26-2010, 12:40 PM
I think you already were kicked out weren't you? It's just that you won't go away....:wink: :kingme:

I found my upholstery sample box. Haven't been through it yet, but I believe I have some headliner samples and will bring them this weekend.

I'm leaning more towards Saturday. That ok?

Sat. works....bring your lovely other half and the girls can sit on the deck drinking wine and watching us work?

We can then BBQ up some meat....:drinkbeer::thumbsup:

yeller
08-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Jeremy, give me a call. My phone died and can't get your # from it. You can call my cell...it is forwarded to my wife's phone which I am using.

BTW: She won't be able to make it tomorrow. Too busy during the day.