PDA

View Full Version : Critter?

Sweet Cheekz
08-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Anyone know anything about a black critter on Crooked River in Northern Michigan? Also a yellow 16 older on a lift on Mullett Lake Northern Michigan?
Parnell

BUIZILLA
08-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Anyone know anything about a black critter on Crooked River in Northern Michigan? Also a yellow 16 older on a lift on Mullett Lake Northern Michigan?
Parnell black Critter have grey interior? flat deck SS?? I have a pic of it somewhere around here..

Sweet Cheekz
08-23-2010, 09:48 AM
It was covered and sitting in the water. I saw hydraulic steering didn't say ss no front compartment
Parnell

Ed Donnelly
08-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Barry Gibbs of the BeeGees had a Black Criterion back in the early 80's...Ed

GBond
08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Cool....was it the bow rider edition? Can't recall the model/insignia.

BUIZILLA
08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
It was covered and sitting in the water. I saw hydraulic steering didn't say ss no front compartment
Parnell if it's the one I think it is, it is an SS with a covered and closed front hatch... it won't say SS anywhere... can't find the pic right now, but I have it for sure.. I think it also had a fold down VHF antenna...

ITTLFLI
08-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I saw this one at the 2004 MADCOW event on St Clair.....

Sweet Cheekz
08-24-2010, 09:38 AM
It was covered so I couldn't see the stripe. It had external steering rams and it said Criterion. Been sitting in the water up there for years I really dont think it had a front hatch but 5% not sure.
Dont remember seeing a vhf but might not have noticed swift current there and we had boats on both ends so I didn't stop and no one was home Small cottage
parnell

cdoezema
08-31-2010, 09:02 PM
My cousin's husband "Lee" owned a 1984 black criterion SS that he found in storage in West Mich in the 1990's. It had been stored for some time and was owned by the owner of an insurance co at the time he bought it. It was mint condidtion original and the coolest boat, I wanted it bad when he sold it in the late 90's, but I was only 21 or 22 and could not afford it. That pic is the boat. Supposedly there was only one crit SS in black made (ss being the rumble seat with hatch in front of the windshield). It would be a shame if someone was letting that boat just sit in the water and not on a lift under a cover...

Dr. David Fleming
09-04-2010, 01:28 AM
I grew up Mullett Lake - north west shore - Mullett village - in the 1960's driving the mahogany speedboats I still have - Well my neighbors had just purchased a yellow/white donzi classic 16 - Chevy small block I believe - freshly delivered from Don A's factory - well cloudy day - no one on the lake - couple of kids flew out of the house - jumped in the Donzi - started the little rocket and took off as usual - at high speed faster than anything else - Sheriff happened to be patrolling - flashing blue lights came on - teens looked at Sheriff - Sheriff looked at teens - Donzi headed south to Indian River at high speed - Sheriff gave chase for about a quarter mile - gave up - slowed down turned the other way and gave up - I was laughing - man wanted a boat like that so bad - guess he could have chased em all day and never caught them - and he knew it - course it was 1967-8 - no GPS - no computers - no cell phones - no heavy police patrols - no bureaucratic insanity - no need to bust the balls of every teen and give him a record - just get em safely through to adulthood - miss that America!

Sweet Cheekz
09-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Dr
Great story I assume Indian River was not no wake back then too Now that would have been fun Crooked river in my Donzis is as great as it gets for a few miles Really intense boating

I saw a yellow 16 on a lift on the southwest side of the lake a few weeks ago with a volvo Definately an older boqat Wonder if she never left the lake?
Ever get back there to boat?
Parnell

Dr. David Fleming
09-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Parnell - I was at Mullett most of the summer - my son just graduated from law school and was studying for the Chicago BAR exam there - I took the 22ZX up and was using it on Indian River - Crooked River also - had a great race with a red and white classic on the north end of Burt Lake -

I'm at 6797 Straits Hwy if you are around and I am there - be welcome - got a 1/4 mile of shoreline you can anchor on with permission - shallow though - be great to see Donzi's there -

Yellow and white classic is same hull I am sure probably could turn up the info - Hobart's Marina handled the storage and maintance

There was a Donzi dealer on Crooked River at Hay lake Marina - only open a few years in 1990's - where my ZX was delivered - place burned so only the foundation is left - owner said they sold dozen or so boats mine included. Was no speed limit on Indian River except in town - still no speed limit on Black River which is tributary to Cheboygan River and Crooked River which is shallow with lots of snags, sunken logs etc. Anchor In Marina at Cheboygan River and Black River juncture is competent for service - Mercruiser parts etc. see Wayne the manager.

Beautiful blue/white 22 Classic with TBS drive on trailer looking for home in SCS

MDonziM
09-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Barry Gibbs of the BeeGees had a Black Criterion back in the early 80's...Ed

Thats funny. I spent a lot of time in south fla in the 80's and remember seeing a white criterion with a blue stripe for sale and the add claimed it was the one of the Bee Gees boat. I think I do remember someone saying Barry Gibb's donzi was black but not sure... and I think it was the criterion III , the 2 seater.

Marshall

Ed Donnelly
09-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Marshall ; You are correct,,,but, before they sold it, they had it painted black and made 100%. Barrys wife said they wouldn't sell it with any flaws due to Barrys reputation...........Ed

PS Criterion 11 the single bench, no forward mini bench

BUIZILLA
09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Ed, what year/hull # was this?

MDonziM
09-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Marshall ; You are correct,,,but, before they sold it, they had it painted black and made 100%. Barrys wife said they wouldn't sell it with any flaws due to Barrys reputation...........Ed

PS Criterion 11 the single bench, no forward mini bench

Wow, so the add I saw may have been it, thats cool. Good info, thanks.

Marshall

Ed Donnelly
09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
BUIZILLA; Sorry its been 20 or so yrs. since I talked to Linda.
I missed out on the Criterion by 15 min.

Someone had just put down a deposit.. I asked her if the deal fell through, would she call me.. She called me back the next week to say the new owner had just picked up the Criterion..

I was so exited talking to Linda, I didn't even think to ask about the yr of the Donzi.........Ed