PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Dash Paint...?

fogducker III
08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
My dash is carbon fiber and faded/patchy....is there a suitable paint I can use on it? I don't want to put in the new gauges until I either fix it or replace it....:(

mrfixxall
08-20-2010, 11:39 AM
My dash is carbon fiber and faded/patchy....is there a suitable paint I can use on it? I don't want to put in the new gauges until I either fix it or replace it....:(

it's probably silk screened,they make a carbon fiber vinyl you can use..

fogducker III
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
it's probably silk screened,they make a carbon fiber vinyl you can use..

So it is a "stick on" type thing? I don't need to stick to the carbon fiber look so looking at a metallic paint to match the grab rails but not sure what to use or how to prep the dash...:boggled:

The Hedgehog
08-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Is this true carbon fiber or the carbon fiber looking plastic?

I have owned both and they both work fine but you may want to use different paint. I would imagine that any good paint with a flexing agent (how about that term Fixx?) would work.

fogducker III
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Is this true carbon fiber or the carbon fiber looking plastic?

I have owned both and they both work fine but you may want to use different paint. I would imagine that any good paint with a flexing agent (how about that term Fixx?) would work.

Good point, I am not sure if it is real carbon fiber or not...? It looks like it, both sides and it is very light weight......:confused:

I will try and snap a pic to see what it is and then choose primer and paint...

mike o
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Real carbon fiber is $25+ dollars a yd (meter):canada:..:yes:. So it is probably vinyl. Take out a screw, if there is some holding in on, and take a look to see if there's a thin layer of ?.......

gcarter
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
If it is carbon, then it probably was layed up w/epoxy.
Epoxy won't stand up to the UV in sun light.
This is obviously a problem and you see it a lot in high performance bicycles where parts like forks will become delaminated as the epoxy fails.
Personally, I don't think the real stuff is a good material for a dash panel.

DonziJon
08-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Maybe sand it with wet/dry and brush or spray it with a polyurethane "Spar Varnish" with a good UV inhibitor built in. :lookaroun:

Conquistador_del_mar
08-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Maybe sand it with wet/dry and brush or spray it with a polyurethane "Spar Varnish" with a good UV inhibitor built in. :lookaroun:

Along those lines, why not clear it with any good automotive clearcoat after wet sanding it? Bill

fogducker III
08-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Turns out it is not real carbon fiber, just some sort of faux cover over plastic, ended up putting a plastic friendly self etching primer and then a metalic plastic paint to match the rub rails, turned out OK....thanks for the input guys....:yes:

The Hedgehog
08-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Along those lines, why not clear it with any good automotive clearcoat after wet sanding it? Bill

Works like a champ. Got the good clear on mine.

Sounds like he got it worked out though. I would love to see the pics. I actually thought about doing the same paint over with a solid color treatment to my faux carbon fiber dash on the 27. Then I went and had a carbon fiber dash done on my 26. Go figure.

fogducker III
08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Got the dash primed and painted, turned out OK, got the Hardin Marine gauges installed, VERY good quality and the price was definatly right..............:yes:

Although I forgot to order the trim gauge......:bonk:I also have the mechanical trim gauge so I might just put an hour meter in that spot on the dash....

First pic is original dash, then no dash and finally finished.

One problem I have is when I have the nav lights on I get all gauges except the speedo lit up and if I disconnect the spade connection on one side of the speedo light, there are two spade connections on the speedo light, all other gauges are one, and I hook the spade connection from the four smaller gauges, that are all hooked in sequence, straight to the second connection on the speedo the four small gauges do not light but now the speedo does....:confused:

I am taking my power from the + side of the tach which is linked through the nav light switch, what have I screwed up...??

The Hedgehog
08-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Got the dash primed and painted, turned out OK, got the Hardin Marine gauges installed, VERY good quality and the price was definatly right..............:yes:

Although I forgot to order the trim gauge......:bonk:I also have the mechanical trim gauge so I might just put an hour meter in that spot on the dash....

First pic is original dash, then no dash and finally finished.

One problem I have is when I have the nav lights on I get all gauges except the speedo lit up and if I disconnect the spade connection on one side of the speedo light, there are two spade connections on the speedo light, all other gauges are one, and I hook the spade connection from the four smaller gauges, that are all hooked in sequence, straight to the second connection on the speedo the four small gauges do not light but now the speedo does....:confused:

I am taking my power from the + side of the tach which is linked through the nav light switch, what have I screwed up...??

Looks nice.

I have a Gaffrig white 270 degree sweep trim gauge you can have if you like. New in the box

mike o
08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Nice ride.......... I dig all white boats. FYI... Those radio covers are on bay for $25. Mine was yellowed by the sun. Brand new they are snow white.... So it will match your new gauges.:kingme: Keep the boating pic's coming. I love your neighborhood........:yes:

fogducker III
08-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Looks nice.

I have a Gaffrig white 270 degree sweep trim gauge you can have if you like. New in the box

Thanks for the offer, after thinking about it I think I will put in an hour meter, the electric trim gauge is kinda redundant with the mechanical one....:confused:

Still have to figure out the lighting issue....:frown:

fogducker III
08-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Nice ride.......... I dig all white boats. FYI... Those radio covers are on bay for $25. Mine was yellowed by the sun. Brand new they are snow white.... So it will match your new gauges.:kingme: Keep the boating pic's coming. I love your neighborhood........:yes:

Thanks Mike, the boat is sort of growing on me....the all white is nice but I am putting a little "pin-striping" on it to break up some of the bleakness....

I will look for one of those stereo covers, this one looks worse in person..........:nilly:

Should be out over the next couple of days for sure, I have some T-shirts I have to pick up from Lenny's Island...:wink:

BUIZILLA
08-22-2010, 03:43 PM
West Marine sells the stereo covers..

Ed Donnelly
08-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Sounds like the spade you are pulling off the 4 gauges is hot, that is why the tach lights now, but, not the others..

Where is the grounding for the 4 gauges????????????????..........Ed

fogducker III
08-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Sounds like the spade you are pulling off the 4 gauges is hot, that is why the tach lights now, but, not the others..

Where is the grounding for the 4 gauges????????????????..........Ed

The four small gauges and linked together and grounded to the main ground from the wiring harness....there is also a large ground to the tach, perhaps I should try that ground to the four gauges and then hot (purple) from the harness...?

Conquistador_del_mar
08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I will look for one of those stereo covers, this one looks worse in person..........:nilly:

It might be easier to just spray dye that white stereo cover instead of having another lose its color - :yes:. Bill