PDA

View Full Version : any old coin or currency collectors onboard?

BUIZILLA
08-19-2010, 08:09 PM
need to know places/people to ascertain values of currency and coins, some legitimate paper dating back to 1840... I know zero about this stuff..

fogducker III
08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
need to know places/people to ascertain values of currency and coins, some legitimate paper dating back to 1840... I know zero about this stuff..

Give me a shout, PM or email Buiz.....I have been collecting, buying and selling for years.........basically financed my retirment by it......I don't know it all but have a basic knowledge....:wink:

PS. It is ALL about condition....

mrfixxall
08-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Give me a shout, PM or email Buiz.....I have been collecting, buying and selling for years.........basically financed my retirment by it......I don't know it all but have a basic knowledge....:wink:

PS. It is ALL about condition....

so whats this baby worth??

fogducker III
08-19-2010, 09:54 PM
so whats this baby worth??

1901 Liberty $5 half eagle Liberty gold coin, looks in VF condition but hard to tell from the CRAP pic....:wink:

Can't tell the Mint mark but a "guesstimate" is $300 to 400 and more if in better condition....

PS. Mint mark looks like an S...? San Fran...

mrfixxall
08-19-2010, 09:58 PM
1901 Liberty $5 half eagle Liberty gold coin, looks in VF condition but hard to tell from the CRAP pic....:wink:

Can't tell the Mint mark but a "guesstimate" is $300 to 400 and more if in better condition....

Your not going to believe this but i garbage picked it when i was 8 yrs old..where is the mint mark?

fogducker III
08-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Your not going to believe this but i garbage picked it when i was 8 yrs old..where is the mint mark?

Mint mark is directly under the eagle, it is an S for San Fran......good find........:yes:

PS. Get rid of the staples and put it in a proper coin holder....

mrfixxall
08-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Mint mark is directly under the eagle, it is an S for San Fran......good find........:yes:

PS. Get rid of the staples and put it in a proper coin holder....

its been in that same wrapper for the last 37 yrs..

do you know anything about Israeli's coins from the 1700's

P.S. Sorry Buiz about stealing your trend :)

fogducker III
08-20-2010, 12:09 AM
its been in that same wrapper for the last 37 yrs..

do you know anything about Israeli's coins from the 1700's

P.S. Sorry Buiz about stealing your trend :)

Send pics of what you have and I will try to ID it for you......remember, I am doing this as a 30 year "hobby"......:)

BUIZILLA
08-20-2010, 06:28 AM
foggy, I was given a purse FULL of old paper and a BIG lunch box of interesting coins to ID and value for an estate consolidation and possible liquidation.. I will PM you on a few things over the weekend... like I said b4, i'm clueless on most of this stuff but there's some coins in their that stand tall on there own.. :lookaroun: one thing I was told by the bank where they were kept is that if an appraiser offers to buy them on the first visit, don't sell anything to him..

gcarter
08-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Because of our cash crunch last year, I liquidated much of my dad's collection.
One thing I found is that the metalic value right now is worth far more than most coin's numismatic value. In fact, a lot more.

fogducker III
08-20-2010, 10:19 AM
foggy, I was given a purse FULL of old paper and a BIG lunch box of interesting coins to ID and value for an estate consolidation and possible liquidation.. I will PM you on a few things over the weekend... like I said b4, i'm clueless on most of this stuff but there's some coins in their that stand tall on there own.. :lookaroun: one thing I was told by the bank where they were kept is that if an appraiser offers to buy them on the first visit, don't sell anything to him..

I agree about appraiser/coin buyers......if you have a large number of items it is worth getting a coin/paper currency book(s).

Standard is a good one as is Charlton.......sort the items into country and then denominations and then year.......then sort the more valuable items out and consider sending them to a recognized grading company, makes the items WAY more legit and valuable if graded.

I look forward to helping out if I can. Jeremy