PDA

View Full Version : &*^%$#@ Trailer

glenncal1
08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
So I have the Holley re-jetted, new tach installed, plus a bunch of other little stuff done. Portable GPS in hand to get some performance numbers off the new to me 18' and check prop pitch. Heading to the little reservoir that is 10 minutes away and notice smoke coming from the right trailer wheel. Limp back home to find the bearing has totally grenaded. I hate freaking trailers I spend more time on fixing them than I do the boat.

And yes I would like some cheese with that whine :hangum:

A2VeeDub
08-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Grenaded 2 or 3 a year myself until I put bearing buddies on them. They seem to help tremendously.

CAPTBEACH
08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Simple...OVERHAUL your trailer...simple enough to do...a single axle can be done for about $500-$700, thats NEW AXLES, BEARINGS, LEAFS, SHACKLES, PLATES, TIRES, LIGHTS AND WIRING...and an afternoon of sweat and busted knuckles...double the figure if its got brakes...

Cuda
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I carried an enite hub assembly with the spare tire attached. If you can't get the lug nuts loose you can hub and all off.
I'd rather blow an engine than have trailer trouble. With a trailer you have to fix it then and there, usually on a Sunday night when everything is closed. I went to a parts store one night up on the Homossassa River and had a wheeo bearing go. I went to a parts store and bought a bearing that was slightly too large and a file. I filed the bearing down until it about fit, then took a BFH and drove it home to Largo. It was raining that night too. :(

Cuda
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Simple...OVERHAUL your trailer...simple enough to do...a single axle can be done for about $500-$700, thats NEW AXLES, BEARINGS, LEAFS, SHACKLES, PLATES, TIRES, LIGHTS AND WIRING...and an afternoon of sweat and busted knuckles...double the figure if its got brakes...
I'd be damned if I'd pay that much to rebuild a trailer. I only paid $1700 for a new tandem axle all aluminum traler. I'd just run it in a ditch before I paid that much to rebuild one. I had eight boat trailers at once and two work trailers. I'd have to take out a second mortgage if I paid those kind of prices.