PDA

View Full Version : K+N air filters

Need for Speed 2
08-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Would a set of K=N filters make a performance increase on a pair of 300 mpis, Is it worth the expense over the factory Merc arrestors ,

Dr. David Fleming
08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
There are a couple of discussions on this subject in the Donzi registry threads if you look - basically there is no performance advantage to K&N but Mercury Racing uses this type of filter on their performance motors -

BUIZILLA
08-17-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't think the K&N is USCG rated.... maybe now they are, but a couple years back they were not

The Hedgehog
08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Not really.

I have been fooling around with step and non-step 26-28ZX's for quite some time. There is only one way to get a bump in speed that you will really notice and that is to add some bigger hp.

You can do some things to improve seat of the pants power (ie exhaust) and they are not bad mods but if you want to mash down the sticks and see 5mph or more it is gonna take some dough.

Be careful of the trap "this mod will add 10 hp." Folks tend to do that and think that they will see something. They do the air filters (maybe 10 advertised), exhaust (20 advertised) and ECU reprogram (another 20) and think that they will get 50 hp. So that is 350hp and almost the power of a scorp? The problem is that it does not really work that way.

Your best mod you can do without adding boost or going into the engines is exhaust. That will compliment mods you do later. You may see a mph or two. It will also sound a little better and have better throttle response.

Barry Eller
08-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't think the K&N is USCG rated.... maybe now they are, but a couple years back they were not

I think you are correct on that, not USCG Rated. But they are legal if you have the breather tubes from valve covers to the filter assembly.The base of mine states K&N Marine S.A.E. J1928. Do they increase performance, probably not, unless you put a new/clean filter after removing a old/dirty one. Then you might could tell a difference, only because of a clean filter! They DO LOOK GOOD...the "Bling Factor" you know.:tongue:of course, I have old school carb setup.

Need for Speed 2
08-17-2010, 02:49 PM
So my best bet is to either get a faster boat or a pair of pro-chargers, has anyone done a set of blowers on twin mpis, to get an evaluation of the cost verses satisfaction and is this a reliable set-up. I dont want to be under the hatch all the time just to go out for a day. Maybe the 70-73 is what I should be happy with but everything I own has a turbo on it. lol

The Hedgehog
08-17-2010, 03:12 PM
So my best bet is to either get a faster boat or a pair of pro-chargers, has anyone done a set of blowers on twin mpis, to get an evaluation of the cost verses satisfaction and is this a reliable set-up. I dont want to be under the hatch all the time just to go out for a day. Maybe the 70-73 is what I should be happy with but everything I own has a turbo on it. lol

70-73 mph is a nice speed.

If you really want more, you may as well go big. Mark Boos did a set on a 28ZX and ran well into the 90's, maybe a little more.

It is all in the setup. A number of us run boosted engines successfully.

Cuda
08-17-2010, 11:35 PM
My Formula had K&N and I detested them.

Pismo
08-18-2010, 06:59 AM
You will see no difference.

LKSD
08-18-2010, 07:07 AM
you wont see any noticeable power or speed increase with the K&N's.. However if the bilge is dirty or throws a lot of dust or belt dust they will help keep the air going into the engine cleaner than the metal flame arrestors... :) Jamie / Lakeside

Need for Speed 2
08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for info guys. I was speaking with Mark Boos, looks like a pair of whipples and some compression reduction , ecm reflash. Seems like a very nice and knowledgable fellow. They had this boat last year set-up and it ran low 90s. I would be thrilled with mid 80s. Thanks again for pointing me into Marks direction. Kevin