PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Sweet 16 lists to starboard

BobKeg
08-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey Guys

I am new to this forum and about a year into the ownership of a great 16 .. serial number US-DNAC6002H809 .. I think shes classed as a 2010 ... She has a 5.0 MPI and is a real challenge to drive

I have read with interest all the comments about the handling of the classics and wanted to ask your advice ... Other than the fact that she needs tabs to stop the porpoising with the drive trimmed all the way in I am really getting to know the boat ... So far 55 has been my max speed as I dont want to do anything stupid ...yet :)

In any case I have noticed as the boat sits in the water at anchor she has a visible list to the right ... Do you know if this is normal to counter a prop rotation or should I investigate further

A big hello to the forum and I look forward to the replies

Oh and I know the mantra ..seat time, seat time, seat time :)

1996Z15
08-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I had a Minx that did the same thing; I think I recall hearing that this is common to boats with such a deep V. Either way, my Minx drove fine under acceleration but, even exhibited some of that list at cruising speeds with just me aboard.

I'm sure the other, more knkowledgeable, Donzi owners will chime in with great advice for you.

BUIZILLA
08-14-2010, 08:02 PM
battery location?

Donzi Vol
08-14-2010, 08:56 PM
battery location?

That's what I was thinking. Or something sitting on the starboard side of the stringers. My boat sits flat all the time.

Welcome to the board...glad you're enjoying the Donzi!

BobKeg
08-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Battery in on the right as well ... oh and she has the bench seat so the pedestal for the single seat could also add weight to the problem ... maybe I need to add ballast to distribute weight better ... I am sure handling would improve too ... Or should I not worry?

Donzi Vol
08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Battery in on the right as well ... oh and she has the bench seat so the pedestal for the single seat could also add weight to the problem ... maybe I need to add ballast to distribute weight better ... I am sure handling would improve too ... Or should I not worry?

I would imagine that if you could move the battery to the center, that you'd probably have your problem fixed. The other option is to add another battery on the port side. Personally, I'm a fan of a 2nd battery on board...nevermind why :lookaroun:

BobKeg
08-14-2010, 09:39 PM
ok will try and see what happens if I can move the battery and report back ... The story of the second battery sounds intriguing though lol but I wont ask if you dont ask about my need for a second fuel tank a few years back! ... Many thx for the replies so far and feel free to keep em coming till I can try moving the weight around a bit

Donzi Vol
08-14-2010, 09:47 PM
The story of the second battery sounds intriguing though lol but I wont ask if you dont ask about my need for a second fuel tank a few years back!

Haha. Well what it came down to is my impatience with a faulty alternator. A couple times I had to get a little help from a fellow board member (RedDog) when I was floating with no power. I learned pretty quick that a second battery can keep you out of harms way and keep you from running off a friend!

Greg Guimond
08-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Before you move the battery, use the sand bag method to see what it will take. Bring the house scale down to the dock and see how much counter weight is required, and exact location. Perhaps a few beers as well LOL

mattyboy
08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
does it list while underway or dip to starboard while driving??? before I would move or add any weight I would get the boat propped correctly and get to know her first. my 16 looked like it was sinking and when off plane with my fat azz in it looked like it would roll over to port ( old 16 helm On the other side from yours) but once on plane it rode level and didn't dip to port.

good luck with the new boat you have probably one of the last production sweet 16 around ;)

BobKeg
08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
does it list while underway or dip to starboard while driving??? before I would move or add any weight I would get the boat propped correctly and get to know her first. my 16 looked like it was sinking and when off plane with my fat azz in it looked like it would roll over to port ( old 16 helm On the other side from yours) but once on plane it rode level and didn't dip to port.

good luck with the new boat you have probably one of the last production sweet 16 around ;)

LOL ... I aint that light either but she lists at anchor with no one in her ... So it definitely is an imbalance .. I will try and get a accurate idea of how much weight I need to offset tomorrow if I can get into the water early enough .. Stay tuned :)

Greg Guimond
08-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Sounds odd, snap some cell phone photos if you can.

mattyboy
08-15-2010, 09:44 PM
it's not odd at all , look at these shots of an ass heavy 16 351 w volvo boat much heavier than your setup

look at the water line stripe

one from port one from starboard

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40880&d=1228148527

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40881&d=1228148527

Greg Guimond
08-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Except that his is a 2010 model year ...........

mattyboy
08-16-2010, 06:23 AM
doesn't matter it's a lounge shaped seating arrangement V8 16 it was done to offset prop torque. my battery was on the left from the factory his is on the right wonder why they wiould do that??

Cuda
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Doesn't the drive have a torque tab on it? Turn it towards whichever was it wants to run.

HIGH LIFE
08-16-2010, 05:37 PM
My 16 DONZI BABY has the battery under the rear seat storage bin,right on the keel. "HIGH LIFE"

BobKeg
08-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey guys ok heres the deal ... I have some photos below that show the list .. and one of the boat :) .. I Used a few spare batteries laid out on the port side of the boat and weighed them after to figure out the difference needed .. I was quite surprised by how much it took to get the boat level ... As stated before my battery is on the right so it took a grand total of 45 to 50 KG to get her level ... A good guess on the weight of my battery is about 25KG ... So all things being equal if I move my battery to the left and add about 20-25 KG of ballast I will be able to get her level ...

What do ya think and very interesting to note the list in the post above ...many thx mattyboy... Same as mine but to the other side.. so maybe this is intentional?

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/BobKeg/Don_0112.jpg
And After adding the ballast
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/BobKeg/Don_0114.jpg

Finally a shot of the beauty :)
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/BobKeg/Don_0118.jpg

mike o
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
My 16 DONZI BABY has the battery under the rear seat storage bin,right on the keel. "HIGH LIFE"Where it was my 95 sweet 16. Nice boat.........:yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
08-17-2010, 11:39 PM
As stated before my battery is on the right so it took a grand total of 45 to 50 KG to get her level ... A good guess on the weight of my battery is about 25KG ... So all things being equal if I move my battery to the left and add about 20-25 KG of ballast I will be able to get her level ...

After thinking this through, I believe you will only have to add 1/2 of the difference that it took to level the boat or about 10-15kg. Otherwise, you will be adding the same counter balance weight on the left as if the battery were still on the right. Make sense? If you can move the battery farther to the left than it was on the right, you might even get away from having to add the extra ballast weight since it will have the weight producing more lean by being farther out. You might try taking the battery out from the right and try placing it in the left to see if it is possible to find a place where it would balance out the boat and then glass in a tray there. :nilly: Bill

mattyboy
08-18-2010, 06:34 AM
nice ride,

jeez that one has less freeboard then mine ;)

BobKeg
08-18-2010, 09:19 AM
nice ride,

jeez that one has less freeboard then mine ;)

Lol yep thats true!! heavy engine I guess! so is the consensus that I should add the ballast? what do u think?

mike o
08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I wouldnt, cause the 16 is so much fun to drive. They are always in the air. I would place the battery on the other side and take a look. If ya like it there. Move it and install a perko kill switch using the original wiring and run new Pos -Neg stuff off the new battery location to the switch. fastened to the back of the seat on the inside of the engine hatch....... like my 02 18 has. You will have to buy a battery tray and switch. Easy install, if the original wires and long enough........:cool: