PDA

View Full Version : 1974 Donzi Ski-Sporter, V8, E-drive (NOT MINE)

Just Say N20
08-12-2010, 09:55 PM
This is kind of fun for me, because I have personally known this boat, and its current owner, since 1978.

I am listing this boat for a friend of mine. Those of you in the northeast will have seen this boat on Lake George, or Lake Champlain.

Paul lives in Stowe, VT.

The boat is a 1974 Donzi Ski-Sporter. He is the second owner, and has owned the boat since around 1980 (give or take a couple of years, I'm doing this from memory). Paul is very particular about his things, and as you can see from the pictures, this is a very nice example of a relatively unmolested 1974 Ski-Sporter.

It has the original 350 Chevy engine (he said the hour meter was showing 6XX hours), as well as the original Volvo 270 with a Volvo e-drive lower unit. I also believe it has a 42 gallon tank, as well as trim tabs.
There is a plaque on the dash referring to the original owner, that says something like, "This Donzi was custom built for XXXXX XXXXXXX (I don't remember his name. He was a financial guy in NYC, and this boat was one of several boats he owned at their large summer "estate" on 4th Lake near Inlet, NY). The color of the boat was done as a custom for the original owner because it matched the color of everything on their summer estate. Even their cars were painted this green with a red stripe. It looks better on the boat.

Paul bought the boat and used it for several years, boating from his family's summer home, also on 4th Lake. He took it with him when he moved to Stowe, VT where he used it on Lake Champlain, and other inland lakes.
He bought the Eagle trailer for it, and told me he just replaced the tires.

The boat has 2 props.

You can see the driver's seat has been replaced; the boat originally had the flat bottom/flat back seat that was hinged. The original style seats were notoriously "not robust." Some of the gauges have been replaced.

I haven't ridden in this boat since about 1982, but I believe it to be about a 63+ mph boat. This was way before the general availability of GPS, but I was running a race boat at the time, and it felt about like a 63/64 mph boat.
Paul is selling it because he just doesn't use it anymore. He has run it a couple of times each summer, and then winterizes it and puts it away for the winter.

He told me it was time for someone else who would use it and appreciate it to enjoy it.

If you have any questions please contact Paul ( p k a r t l u k e @ y a h o o . c o m ), as I am only doing the listing.

He is asking $10,900.

I would be comfortable buying this boat myself.

The keen observer will notice the mounting locations for a windshield. The boat came with one of the old school, tall windshields like Jay has had on his red 16. I don't know if Paul still has the windshield.

Greg Guimond
08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
That is cool........nice to see a survivor

superhatz
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
That is cool........nice to see a survivor

Double ditto!....love the odd color combo.

hopup
08-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Thats a great looking boat and wish she were closer, were that would be a must have!!:yes:

HOWARD O
08-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Gorgeous! I love green though, and it would match my truck!

Can someone tell me what the piece of hardware is that's located at the left knee, down below? I can't figure it. My '69 sure didn't have it.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57928&d=1281668122

HIGH LIFE
08-13-2010, 08:14 PM
I noticed that the skeg was cut off the edrive, must be interesting to drive. "HIGH LIFE"

NJFASTECH
08-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Gorgeous! I love green though, and it would match my truck!

Can someone tell me what the piece of hardware is that's located at the left knee, down below? I can't figure it. My '69 sure didn't have it.

It has a thumb screw in it so how about spare flag holder or to hold the flag when not in use.

Bobby D
08-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Original stern light base, see picture #9 it’s a replacement.

maddad
08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
I'd like to see a close up of what looks like an external steering plate at the lower side of the shift cover.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I noticed that the skeg was cut off the edrive, must be interesting to drive. "HIGH LIFE"

Michael,
I noticed that immediately, too. Even though the skegs aren't very long or wide, they have to provide better steering control unless they produce blowout from their relatively short length - what do you think? Bill

mattyboy
08-17-2010, 12:29 PM
all the ones I have seen with the skeg removed came from twin setups with external steering judging by that pic i would say that is where it came from a twin boat with external steering the connector you see was for the tie bar .

not sure in a single setup with cable steering but on a twin boat i would imagine prop torque was not a worry

Just Say N20
08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
This is the e-drive that came on the boat from Donzi. It had a skeg on it originally, but it met with an untimely death in the form of an underwater strike.

It has never been an issue from a handling stand point.

I don't know about the mount in the middle of the drive that looks like it would be for a hydraulic steering connection. Paul might have replaced the 270 portion of the drive.

mattyboy
08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
hull number??? struck something then the top very well could have been replaced, I have a replacement 250 that came off twins has the same tie bar connector

Just Say N20
08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Can someone tell me what the piece of hardware is that's located at the left knee, down below?

It was where you plugged in the original, hand held spot light. Kind of like a cigarette lighter.

knots2u
08-21-2010, 09:09 AM
The original Ski Sporter seat was never hinged and was robust from the 1" marine plywood used, but nothing lasts forever. Most likely someone stuck an aftermarket bass boat type seat in there. That interior in the boat is Bilt Rite, with a little massaging you can get the buckles out at the turns in the upright cushions.

mattyboy
08-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Bob,

that is a thing of beauty that would make a great barstool or drafting table seat :yes:

knots2u
08-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Matty you have probably sat in that seat, I made it for Cliff and Diana Wind.

mattyboy
08-22-2010, 09:09 AM
I did see it then ,

Bob, the original bilt rite interior in my 68 benchseat hornet is a little loose in spots you mentioned with a little work it might be brought back a tad.

how??

not to derail this thread

you can PM me or shoot an email mnmveth@optonline.net

Thanks

Just Say N20
12-30-2010, 02:04 PM
TTT :yes:

This boat needs a good home with a new Donzi enthusiast to take care of it.

As I said before, I have known Paul (current owner) for 32 years, and the boat almost as long. I would have no problem spending my money for this boat if I were in the market.

Greg Guimond
02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Ttt ...........