PDA

View Full Version : BravoIII in a minx?

epatti1062
08-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Has anyone ever put a dual prop in a classic? I am building a new sbc with a lot of power and it will have more hp than I will use. I was wondering if dual prop it might have more control. The bravoIII is longer which may effect top speed. Thanks Tim

MOP
08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
A BIII will cost you a little speed, although they now have some great props for them. The trade off is much better handling, great hole shot and better economy. I doubt you would be disappointed, I ran a Blackhawk on my 22 and loved it. If I had a bit more power to make the drive work the way it should it would still be on the boat.

Phil

younger
08-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Go for it! The control and handling will far out weigh the speed loss if much at all. Have a look at the bIII xr line of props like MOP said, this line of props has come a long way.

epatti1062
08-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Has anyone ever put a dual prop in a classic? I am building a new sbc with a lot of power and it will have more hp than I will use. I was wondering if dual prop it might have more control. The bravoIII is longer which may effect top speed. Thanks Tim

I am building a 383 with whipple efi. It should be about 600hp. Thanks Tim

The Hedgehog
08-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I am building a 383 with whipple efi. It should be about 600hp. Thanks Tim

Then I would run an XR and have a runner. If you want good hole shots you will smash the drive in good order swinging two big wheels. Not to mention, the BIII's (not blackhawks) seem to run out of speed at 70 or so. I saw that you are into speed. I can not think of anyone running in the 80's with a real BIII.

epatti1062
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Then I would run an XR and have a runner. If you want good hole shots you will smash the drive in good order swinging two big wheels. Not to mention, the BIII's (not blackhawks) seem to run out of speed at 70 or so. I saw that you are into speed. I can not think of anyone running in the 80's with a real BIII.

I do like speed, but I still need more seat time. I have had other fast boats Cat etc. That's why I'm building a motor that will be there when I'm ready. I have looked for a XR drive but they are out of my price range for now. Bravo 1's are in my budget and I can buy a Bravo 3 cheap. Also there is a new bravo X for sale near me for $4200 with gimble etc. The motor is about 3 months from completion programing, exhaust, dyno etc.

Thanks Tim

The Hedgehog
08-12-2010, 04:14 AM
I do like speed, but I still need more seat time. I have had other fast boats Cat etc. That's why I'm building a motor that will be there when I'm ready. I have looked for a XR drive but they are out of my price range for now. Bravo 1's are in my budget and I can buy a Bravo 3 cheap. Also there is a new bravo X for sale near me for $4200 with gimble etc. The motor is about 3 months from completion programing, exhaust, dyno etc.

Thanks Tim

I would look hard at that X. Is the assembly HD?

BUIZILLA
08-12-2010, 06:27 AM
there is at least one Cig20 in the 80's with a BIII

osur866
08-12-2010, 06:57 AM
there is at least one Cig20 in the 80's with a BIII
Wasn't that an XR BIII?

BUIZILLA
08-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Wasn't that an XR BIII? I believe so...

The Hedgehog
08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I am sure that you could mount an XR upper to a B-III. I have never heard of a B-III lower with XR gears.

I would imagine that if you could get 80 with 8 prop blades spinning around below the surface, you could really run with a B-1.

osur866
08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Bill Merc came out with the BIII XR cpl years ago.

Morgan's Cloud
08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
The nice thing is , if you're not happy with it , just switch back to the B1.
You may have to improvise the X height somewhat though as I guess optimum is different on each unit.

I've got a two prop unit on a St T , but it's a much different hull and besides , it's a Volvo .

Cuda
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Doesn't the B III have a longer leg for use on a cruiser?

Morgan's Cloud
08-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Except for a longer anti ventilation plate , and two propshafts ..duuh :kingme:, the BIII is otherwise the same visually as a BI
... At least mine is ....(just to cover my azz...)

The BII has a bigger gear case as it has a different set of props made just for it ..

The Hedgehog
08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Bill Merc came out with the BIII XR cpl years ago.

I learn something new every day.

It makes pretty good sense though since they offer a 525 on the big Formula PC.

epatti1062
08-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I would look hard at that X. Is the assembly HD?

I will get more info on the bravo one x drive next week. Thanks Tim

Cuda
08-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Except for a longer anti ventilation plate , and two propshafts ..duuh :kingme:, the BIII is otherwise the same visually as a BI
... At least mine is ....(just to cover my azz...)
The BII has a bigger gear case as it has a different set of props made just for it ..
Ahh, that's where I made my mistake. I was thinking about the BII.