PDA

View Full Version : Two Mags, one lake.

superhatz
08-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Me and Hallj hit the lake yesterday and got a few crappy action shots...it was fun. Next time, we'll bring real cameras.

superhatz
08-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Okay...not sure why they're sideways?....try and enjoy anyway...:confused:

Conquistador_del_mar
08-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Aaron,
I would love to see a video - any chance? Bill

scippy
08-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Okay...not sure why they're sideways?....try and enjoy anyway...:confused:

Aaron I have a crooked neck from crawling in and out of the hull so they appear straight up. lol.......How do your boats power compare?.....Hallj runs a single BB with an Arneson right? .......how do you guys match up with the different power?

superhatz
08-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Next time we'll get video....:)

Hallj has a 27 Sport now with two 350s....my boat is faster mostly because I have Bravos with trim....he's got 280 Volvos with no trim...

I'll try and get some pics of Jeff's Mag....it's pretty cool.

-Aaron

superhatz
08-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Hallj's Mag....it's a '70...hull #121 if I remember right?

Taken with my phone....:garfield:

smidgen too
08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Me and Hallj hit the lake yesterday and got a few crappy action shots...it was fun. Next time, we'll bring real cameras.
Aaron, Jeff did'nt have his super camera stuff with him ? :tooth: When Jeff came here [Lake St Clair] last month he came by car because he had so much camera grear with him. :nilly::nilly::nilly: Great to see that your getting time to use your Mag. :yes:

superhatz
08-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks Mark...still haven't seen his photos. We are going to have a photo/video session soon...:)

mphatc
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Aaron,

How fast is HallJ's boat with that set up? And what is he running for props?

I'll be launching mine this weekend for the first time this year, and stil have the old 350s with Volvo drives . .

Mario

superhatz
08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Aaron,
How fast is HallJ's boat with that set up? And what is he running for props?
I'll be launching mine this weekend for the first time this year, and stil have the old 350s with Volvo drives . .
Mario

His engines made right around 300hp on the dyno. Volvo 280s on the second pin, Solas 19p, 5000rpm....he said it was running 55 mph on GPS. I don't think he was in it for long though...

Jeff says the engines should turn closer to 5800 rpm....he wants to raise the drives more...3rd pin or more?.....he's in Europe working right now...maybe he'll chime in?

My boat with 320 EFIs, Bravo 1s and 21 Mirages turns 5400 rpm and runs 67 GPS with bottom paint, two guys and half tanks....(for reference).

Hope this helps Mario.

-Aaron

smidgen too
08-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Aaron I have a crooked neck from crawling in and out of the hull so they appear straight up. lol.......How do your boats power compare?.....Hallj runs a single BB with an Arneson right? .......how do you guys match up with the different power?
Jeff's 18' Donzi has the Arneson drive... :yes:

smidgen too
08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Mario my 24' Donzi Doral with 350cu, 300hp CC engines came with 14 1/2 x 21 Michigan 3 blade SS wheels. The Donzi was not running when I got it but the owner said it would run 60 with this set up ????? My Magnum [that had 300hp engines] Sedan has a set of 15 x 23 Michigan 3 blade Nibrow props, dont if they are right ones as this Mag is not running yet. Jeff used my 14 x 21 Nibrow props off of my 24' Cobra that has twin 302 H&M Fords engines and found them to be a bit small for his Mag. Mark, h2o

1996Z15
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Hallj's Mag....it's a '70...hull #121 if I remember right?
Taken with my phone....:garfield:

As far as I'm concerned these boats (Magnums, older Cigarettes and of course classic Donzi's) are so much sexier than the new stuff being sold. I prefer the simple lines and solid colors of these older boats compared to the high impact graphics that are on all of the new boats. I guess I'm showing my age.

superhatz
08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
As far as I'm concerned these boats (Magnums, older Cigarettes and of course classic Donzi's) are so much sexier than the new stuff being sold. I prefer the simple lines and solid colors of these older boats compared to the high impact graphics that are on all of the new boats. I guess I'm showing my age.

Couldn't agree more...

HallJ
08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Aaron, Jeff did'nt have his super camera stuff with him ? :tooth: When Jeff came here [Lake St Clair] last month he came by car because he had so much camera grear with him. :nilly::nilly::nilly: Great to see that your getting time to use your Mag. :yes:

I finished recording all of the Beta tapes. When I get back, I'll start burning DVD's

Jeff

Ghost
08-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Couldn't agree more...

Couldn't agree more. Different strokes...but my own preferences are along these lines...

HallJ
08-11-2010, 03:59 PM
His engines made right around 300hp on the dyno. Volvo 280s on the second pin, Solas 19p, 5000rpm....he said it was running 55 mph on GPS. I don't think he was in it for long though...

Jeff says the engines should turn closer to 5800 rpm....he wants to raise the drives more...3rd pin or more?.....he's in Europe working right now...maybe he'll chime in?

My boat with 320 EFIs, Bravo 1s and 21 Mirages turns 5400 rpm and runs 67 GPS with bottom paint, two guys and half tanks....(for reference).

Hope this helps Mario.

-Aaron

That's about right Aaron.

300hp a side dyno'd as installed in the boat. The peak power was @ 5800.
I run it in the third pin. With Solas 21's I could get 55MPH@4500.
With Solas 19's I get 56 @5000. I think this is right around 6% slip.
I'm pretty sure it needs more trim. 2 inches higher on the x is about right as well. The Volvo drives were installed to low to keep the engine hatches flat.

Jeff

Marlin275
08-11-2010, 04:05 PM

I agree . . .

sometimes it's hard to see the boat design
for all the spaghetti going on and on

less is more . . .

Bigbroadjumper
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Where were you guys running?

Marlin275
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

I am running up and down the Hudson river
and on a great day around Manhattan . . .

mphatc
08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks Aaron an Jeff!

I bought 21 Solas props, not for these engines but for the new ones being built, which will be in the 450-475 HP range . . and my intent is to either raise the engines and drives 2" , or shorten the Volvos . .stay tuned on that one, it doesn't look any harder than raising the engines and reconfiguring the transom, and it will leave me with a lower center of roll, or as Aaron and I would think of it, lower CG . . .

Mario

HallJ
08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Mario,

I was just looking at the lower units last weekend, wondering what it would take to cut them:wink:.

Jeff

smidgen too
08-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Mario,

I was just looking at the lower units last weekend, wondering what it would take to cut them:wink:.

Jeff
Jeff next time your in town I will introduce you to Captian Offshore, Dave B. Dave raised the stock 280 Volvo drives on this 28' Bertram and it rocked.... It ran to good, a blew the bottom out. :frown:

superhatz
08-12-2010, 01:24 AM

Lake Minnetonka...near Minneapolis.

Bigbroadjumper
08-12-2010, 07:31 AM
I feel like a road trip! I sure would like to bring my Magnum up there and run with you guys!

Morgan's Cloud
08-12-2010, 11:51 AM

No , you're just showing your good taste .. :biggrin.:

HallJ
08-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks Aaron an Jeff!

I bought 21 Solas props, not for these engines but for the new ones being built, which will be in the 450-475 HP range . . and my intent is to either raise the engines and drives 2" , or shorten the Volvos . .stay tuned on that one, it doesn't look any harder than raising the engines and reconfiguring the transom, and it will leave me with a lower center of roll, or as Aaron and I would think of it, lower CG . . .

Mario

Mario,

I think you will like the 21's. They will keep your RPM's low under cruising speed.

Jeff

dammmagnum
08-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Jeff next time your in town I will introduce you to Captian Offshore, Dave B. Dave raised the stock 280 Volvo drives on this 28' Bertram and it rocked.... It ran to good, a blew the bottom out. :frown:

Jeff/Mario,

My Volvo drives on my 27 Sport was raised 2 inches and also the bottom had the rocker taken out of it and it made a big difference.

Thank you
jim

mphatc
08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Jim.,
Do you recall how much speed was gained by raising the drives?
Jeff,
It's the 2" right above the cavitation plate . . tie this together with my query on finding shafts, over on OSO, . . . a CNC machine and you can easily see where I'm going.
I don't see it to be difficult, just time consuming . . and if perfected could be a great up grade for any old performance boat with Volvo drives . . .

Mario L.

BUIZILLA
08-12-2010, 06:06 PM
also the bottom had the rocker taken out of it how much trouble was that?

dammmagnum
08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Jim.,
Do you recall how much speed was gained by raising the drives?
Jeff,
It's the 2" right above the cavitation plate . . tie this together with my query on finding shafts, over on OSO, . . . a CNC machine and you can easily see where I'm going.
I don't see it to be difficult, just time consuming . . and if perfected could be a great up grade for any old performance boat with Volvo drives . . .

Mario L.

Hello Mario

Good day
Well the drives were raised, the bottom done at the same time along with the changing the shafts over to use the Merc clever props. The gain was about 5-6 mph. I also installed the power trim system from Roger M. at the same time, so there were several things updated at the same time
After this, the motors were redone.
Roger M. did the work on the drives and hull and the hull bottom.I also installed the Hynautic Steering system at this time.

Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
08-13-2010, 02:01 PM
how much trouble was that?

Hello

Well, its time consuming as you have to take a long straight edge and see where the low spots are and then get under the back of the hull and grind down the high spots to remove the hook, then re-gel coat the bottom that has been worked on. I was told by Magnum and Roger M. that was a easy way to pick up more speed
its mostly labor and working under the hull and transome

Thank you
Jim

BUIZILLA
08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
remove the hook I guess i'm having a hard time figuring how your truing a bottom with both a hook and a rocker? :confused:

dammmagnum
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I guess i'm having a hard time figuring how your truing a bottom with both a hook and a rocker? :confused:

Sorry about that
I just got back from being in Hong Kong and China for almost two weeks and my mind is still not working right from flying and not sleeping on the plane.

It was removing the hook at the transome and truing the bottom
not a rocker.

Sorry about that.

Thank you
Jim

HallJ
08-14-2010, 10:11 AM
The length of time these hulls were left in the mold,
determined the amount of hook.

Ask Smidgen Too.

Jeff

HallJ
08-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Jeff/Mario,

My Volvo drives on my 27 Sport was raised 2 inches and also the bottom had the rocker taken out of it and it made a big difference.

Thank you
jim

Wish we could find your boat.........

Jeff

dammmagnum
08-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Wish we could find your boat.........

Jeff

Jeff,

I wish i could find it also
I sold it to my late friend(Jeff Galenti) that I raced with and he was going to keep it, and we would race it,, but he kept it for a couple of months and sold it to a woman from the south Jersey Shore. After that it just disappeared and Jeff past on a year or so later from the Big C.

If i knew he was going to sell it,, I would have never sold it. it was completely redone , new wiring, plumbing, tanks were pulled and tested., new imrom paint on the hull and deck, both engines completely redone, new 3 man bolster from Bilt-rite with drop seats , new interior , several covers. K planes,Hynautic steering, power trim, nose cone lowers, also had a pair of custom speedo lowers made by the guys from Mich, am sure that Smidgen Too would know about them, I was told there were only a few pair made by guys there. I also had a 2 man bolster and the bucket seats and stands. the floor was also dropped 7 inches in the cockpit. It was on a new Target Trailer with dual tool boxes also.
Am sure it may be sitting in some barn or a lot/field some where in Jersey.
Being in Calif ,, I don't get much time back in NJ to look for it. When I do get to NJ, its to visit family and friends and that is it.I renamed it Plum Crazy and became M-51 instead of P-51

hope you are enjoying Europe
I should be getting over to Germany later this year.

Thank you
Jim

scippy
08-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Jim, I live in the middle part of Jersey (Ocean county) I'd be happy to pick up the trail for ya, but need something more to go on .......... "when" and "where" was she last seen? ........could be sitting in a barn somewhere unmolestered -or- at the bottom of the ocean!

dammmagnum
08-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Jim, I live in the middle part of Jersey (Ocean county) I'd be happy to pick up the trail for ya, but need something more to go on .......... "when" and "where" was she last seen? ........could be sitting in a barn somewhere unmolestered -or- at the bottom of the ocean!

Hello Scippy and Thank you

The Sport was kept at East Dover Marina in Toms River when i had it and Jeff had it. Jeff G sold it in 1983. All I know after that, was Jeff sold it to a woman from, south of Toms River maybe the Forked River area rings a bells. When it was sold it was in new condition ,as I said everything was re-done on it. I had heard that she had a couple of hi performance boats at that time, and the Sport was just another one for her.
It was purple and white, with a purple deck insert and had a black transome. Did the transome in black as it would be easier if we made changes (drives etc )to the transome to spot paint the transome.

Thank you for the help

Jim

Thats all the info that i know,

scippy
08-15-2010, 07:55 PM

The Sport was kept at East Dover Marina in Toms River when i had it and Jeff had it. Jeff G sold it in 1983. All I know after that, was Jeff sold it to a woman from, south of Toms River maybe the Forked River area rings a bells. When it was sold it was in new condition ,as I said everything was re-done on it. I had heard that she had a couple of hi performance boats at that time, and the Sport was just another one for her.
It was purple and white, with a purple deck insert and had a black transome. Did the transome in black as it would be easier if we made changes (drives etc )to the transome to spot paint the transome.

Thank you for the help

Jim

Jim, Let me ask the former owner of my 27 sport (whom lives in Toms river) if he might recall such a boat. The fact that 1983 is the last knowledge you have of this boat puts it in the cold case file, but Dover Marina is still in existance and maybe some old salt remembers something. Plus, if it still exists, not to many 27 Mag sports can remain unoticed for to long..........let me sniff around some!

dammmagnum
08-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Jim, Let me ask the former owner of my 27 sport (whom lives in Toms river) if he might recall such a boat. The fact that 1983 is the last knowledge you have of this boat puts it in the cold case file, but Dover Marina is still in existance and maybe some old salt remembers something. Plus, if it still exists, not to many 27 Mag sports can remain unoticed for to long..........let me sniff around some!

Hello Scippy,

Thank you
I didn't hold out much hope to be able to locate it, but you never know \
It was the only purple and white one in the area.
Thanks for the help

Jim

scippy
08-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Thank you for the help

Jim

Jim, I've picked up the trail abit after your "Plum Crazy" was sold to Jeff G. By the way, all of this is relayed to me by Bob "Fastshafts" the former owner of my 27 Magnum whom lives in Toms river and knows alot of the boating community. Anyway, the person who bought your boat after Jeff G. sold it was a woman called Pat Lauer from Barnegut. Your boat went from orange (when Jeff owned it) to brown when Pat Lauer owned it and named it "Kamikaze" that's much all I know now, "but" what's really interesting about all this is, the very fellow who delivered my Magnun 27 sport to me is none other than Rob Lauer (the son) of Pat Lauer in Barnegut. Pretty small world Heh?........I'll give Rob a call and see what more we can find out.

Sweet Cheekz
08-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Detective Scippy If you stumble accross any trails on my boats histroy let me know It came from LI from the owner of sea Tows son
P

scippy
08-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Detective Scippy If you stumble accross any trails on my boats histroy let me know It came from LI from the owner of sea Tows son
P

P, I spoke to him when it was 4 sale and he had no history to offer up on the boat as I remember, I did ask him though. We spoke mostly about the condition of the boat and his intention to put twin OB'S on her if he kept it. To bad there's no data bank to locate all those stray Magnums out there - just poor little orphans until we came and rescued them!

Conquistador_del_mar
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
To bad there's no data bank to locate all those stray Magnums out there - just poor little orphans until we came and rescued them!

I am now feeling the good samaritan duty to getting back on my orphan project Magnum - :wink:. Bill

Sweet Cheekz
08-24-2010, 09:42 AM
85 and sunny this weekend so mine sits patiently I am consulting with a guy who specializes in woodworking tomorrow to see what he can do for me on the insert
Parnell

dammmagnum
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Jim, I've picked up the trail abit after your "Plum Crazy" was sold to Jeff G. By the way, all of this is relayed to me by Bob "Fastshafts" the former owner of my 27 Magnum whom lives in Toms river and knows alot of the boating community. Anyway, the person who bought your boat after Jeff G. sold it was a woman called Pat Lauer from Barnegut. Your boat went from orange (when Jeff owned it) to brown when Pat Lauer owned it and named it "Kamikaze" that's much all I know now, "but" what's really interesting about all this is, the very fellow who delivered my Magnun 27 sport to me is none other than Rob Lauer (the son) of Pat Lauer in Barnegut. Pretty small world Heh?........I'll give Rob a call and see what more we can find out.

Hello Scippy

Thank you for the Help.

Jeff G had an orange Magnum Sport before mine,Jeff purchased that orange Sport from Bill Gazell, Jeff G sold that boat to some one. My Magnum sport was always Purple from the Factory, i repainted Purple Imron
Now maybe Jeff sold Pat L both Sports? I had heard that she had several hi performance boats at one time.

Interesting.

thank you
Jim

scippy
08-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Hello Scippy

Thank you for the Help.

Jeff G had an orange Magnum Sport before mine,Jeff purchased that orange Sport from Bill Gazell, Jeff G sold that boat to some one. My Magnum sport was always Purple from the Factory, i repainted Purple Imron
Now maybe Jeff sold Pat L both Sports? I had heard that she had several hi performance boats at one time.

Interesting.

thank you
Jim

Jim, I left a message with Rob Lauer just waiting for him to return my call. Maybe he can shed more light on the subject. I hear his mom did own several Hi P boats...................could she be the Betty Cook of Barnegut?

dammmagnum
08-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Jim, I left a message with Rob Lauer just waiting for him to return my call. Maybe he can shed more light on the subject. I hear his mom did own several Hi P boats...................could she be the Betty Cook of Barnegut?

Scippy ,,

She could be the Barnegut version of Betty Cook.

My office here in California is about 30 minutes from Paul and Betty Cooks old business in Menlo Park.

Thank you
Jim

scippy
08-24-2010, 10:40 PM
85 and sunny this weekend so mine sits patiently I am consulting with a guy who specializes in woodworking tomorrow to see what he can do for me on the insert
Parnell

P, Your going go all rustic on me now?...........seriously though, because the insert is such a signature piece of the 27 sport deck, embellishment in a beautiful grain of wood would only inhance her. I'm leaning towards a carbon fiber look, but that's still way off.

scippy
08-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Scippy ,,

She could be the Barnegut version of Betty Cook.

My office here in California is about 30 minutes from Paul and Betty Cooks old business in Menlo Park.

Thank you
Jim

Jim, I just hope "Barnegut Betty" is still around .........maybe some good news on "Plum Crazy" and old war stories to boot........."I think I'm starting up some south Jersey folk lore here...LOL!

smidgen too
08-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Hello Scippy

Thank you for the Help.

Interesting.

thank you
Jim
Jim I found this purple Mag from 1974 in my photo colection. It was in Ohio, was this one yours?????? Mark h2o

dammmagnum
08-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Jim I found this purple Mag from 1974 in my photo colection. It was in Ohio, was this one yours?????? Mark h2o

Hello Mark,

When I purchased The Magnum sport it it was called Sea-Wraith P-51 and it was raced out of Fla pretty much until I purchased it in Maitland Fla from a old Cam-Am racer/ auto restorer named Pete Sherman. He raced a few times,, but was raced before him I think by some one else from the Fla
area. This was back in 70s. I lived in NJ at the time and kept it there until I sold it to Jeff G.
So, don't think this photo is of mine. Not sure how many purple sports were made from Magnum over the years?

Thank you
jim

HIGH LIFE
08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Mark, that picture is great !! Do you remember the red boat, sitting low at the stern. Great name on the SEDAN. "HIGH LIFE"

scippy
08-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Jim, Got the return call from Rob L. today, he says, His Mom Pat (still alive and well) purchased your boat from a guy called Frank Alley not Jeff Galenti. He says, it was purple and called "Plum Crazy" they kept it for several years and by the late 1980's sold it to fellow who converted the Volvo drives to Bravo's. Now, without having to go into detail and many hands later your boat presently sits in Chadwick island Marina ( Rt. 35 Pt. Pleasant) Here's the sad part and maybe not the closure you were looking for, but it was converted to a center console & rigged with OB's. Rob says, it's in bad shape and presently sits along side another sport (equally in bad shape) both blocked up and 4 sale in the yard. I intend to take a look and snap up some pictures soon..............if this is really "Plum crazy" it certainly is an ending with alot (I'm sure) mixed feelings on your part. Me, I can't beleive I tracked her down!

ps- Rob Lauer cell # is 609-548-4383 he says it's ok to call and discuss.

scippy
08-25-2010, 07:50 PM
I am now feeling the good samaritan duty to getting back on my orphan project Magnum - :wink:. Bill

Bill, I'm moving at a snails pace. I have a feeling my adopted "orphan" will not be growing up with your's and Parnells.........:frown::frown:

superhatz
08-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Jim, Got the return call from Rob L. today, he says, His Mom Pat (still alive and well) purchased your boat from a guy called Frank Alley not Jeff Galenti. He says, it was purple and called "Plum Crazy" they kept it for several years and by the late 1980's sold it to fellow who converted the Volvo drives to Bravo's. Now, without having to go into detail and many hands later your boat presently sits in Chadwick island Marina ( Rt. 35 Pt. Pleasant) Here's the sad part and maybe not the closure you were looking for, but it was converted to a center console & rigged with OB's. Rob says, it's in bad shape and presently sits along side another sport (equally in bad shape) both blocked up and 4 sale in the yard. I intend to take a look and snap up some pictures soon..............if this is really "Plum crazy" it certainly is an ending with alot (I'm sure) mixed feelings on your part. Me, I can't beleive I tracked her down!

I just don't get it...why do such great boats get so fukked up. What!?...there weren't enough center console/outboard fishing boats available at the time??!!!......:nilly:

This hobby wears me out.

Jim...go get it and spend $100K restoring it....:party:

smidgen too
08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Mark, that picture is great !! Do you remember the red boat, sitting low at the stern. Great name on the SEDAN. "HIGH LIFE"
He is another angle of that pic...:shades: Taken at the Mentor Yatch Club on lake Erie around 1974 when we had high water on the Great Lakes...

smidgen too
08-26-2010, 12:28 AM

I remember that Mag, it was for sale on ebay a year ago,, VERY SAD.:frown: It was a real mess. I thought I made a post on OSO about it, but I cant find it. The guy said it was a Mag but at the time I thought it wasnt a real one. How any one could do that to a sport...

superhatz
08-26-2010, 12:32 AM
I remember that Mag, it was for sale on ebay a year ago,, VERY SAD.:frown: It was a real mess. I thought I made a post on OSO about it, but I cant find it. The guy said it was a Mag but at the time I thought it wasnt a real one. How any one could do that to a sport...

Really?...I don't remember seeing that one Mark. I do have a pic of a 27 Sport with a tuna tower somewhere....is that the one??!

dammmagnum
08-26-2010, 12:52 AM

Scippy

Thank you for all your hard work to track Pat and Rob down and then to find out where the Mag is
I was just in Jersey in April and if I had known , I would have drove down there myself and looked at it .
It is a very sad ending,, if it is truly my old sport
as I put so much into it ,, redoing the entire boat. Everything new.

Thank you and if you happen to go by there ,, please do try and take a few shots of it

Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
08-26-2010, 12:56 AM
He is another angle of that pic...:shades: Taken at the Mentor Yatch Club on lake Erie around 1974 when we had high water on the Great Lakes...

Hello Mark , here is photo of my Mag when it was raced in Fla by the owner before me
I think this is St Pete.
Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
08-26-2010, 01:00 AM

Mark

Here is when I was racing it in the 1976 Benihana GP in NJ.

Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
08-26-2010, 01:20 AM
Its sad that so many of the Magnum Sports in the New Jersey Shore Area just disappeared

There was Rated X - A Yellow Sport with BBC and Merc Speedos
Black Jack a Black Sport with 280 Mercs
A black Sport with H-M Fords down in Cedar River.
Boss Lady a all White Sport that was clean and fast

Sad that so many of them are gone

Thank you
Jim

anotherScott
08-26-2010, 06:48 AM
hi, haven't been on here in a long long time, but boss lady is as nice as ever. I am the third owner and have had her about six years now. trs drives and chevy 350's. scott brick, nj

Sweet Cheekz
08-26-2010, 09:15 AM
How bout some pics?

smidgen too
08-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Its sad that so many of the Magnum Sports in the New Jersey Shore Area just disappeared

There was Rated X - A Yellow Sport with BBC and Merc Speedos
Black Jack a Black Sport with 280 Mercs
A black Sport with H-M Fords down in Cedar River.
Boss Lady a all White Sport that was clean and fast

Sad that so many of them are gone

Thank you
Jim
Jim you are right for some reason Magnums seem to fall into a black hole on the east coast.:nilly: The Spirit Mag and my old Mag both went M.I.A out there ????? :confused: I believe some my have became victim of insurance claims.:frown: Mark

superhatz
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
hi, haven't been on here in a long long time, but boss lady is as nice as ever. I am the third owner and have had her about six years now. trs drives and chevy 350's. scott brick, nj

Yeah...pics please.

:)

dammmagnum
08-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Scott,

Boss Lady was one very classy Magnum Sport, nice, clean and fast when Don S. owned her. am sure you are keeping her the same way.
Be great to see some photos of her.

Thank you
jim

dammmagnum
08-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Jim you are right for some reason Magnums seem to fall into a black hole on the east coast.:nilly: The Spirit Mag and my old Mag both went M.I.A out there ????? :confused: I believe some my have became victim of insurance claims.:frown: Mark

Mark , you are so correct , there are a few more that just disappeared over the years. There was a fleet of Sports at one time running around
Barnegat Bay .

Hopefully Scippy will get over to Chadwick Marina one day and take some photos.

Thank you
jim

mphatc
08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Plus a few on Winnipesaukee, and out of Boston . . . I feel lucky to have rescued mine out a yard in Ipswich, MA !

I could visuallize a separate thread that lists locations of "abandoned" lost and forgotten Magnums, regardless of condition . . . if for no other reason than a source for lost and or missing pieces . .

Mario L.

Sweet Cheekz
08-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Bill, I'm moving at a snails pace. I have a feeling my adopted "orphan" will not be growing up with your's and Parnells.........:frown::frown:

No need to worry Scippy Bill is kicking our azz even with three or four projects going I can tell you mine is two years away at the current rate. Two brand new small blocks and xr's is gonna cost me. I got enough boats to go out for a while.
Parnell

dammmagnum
08-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Plus a few on Winnipesaukee, and out of Boston . . . I feel lucky to have rescued mine out a yard in Ipswich, MA !

I could visuallize a separate thread that lists locations of "abandoned" lost and forgotten Magnums, regardless of condition . . . if for no other reason than a source for lost and or missing pieces . .

Mario L.

Hello Mario
we are lucky when we can find one that is saveable.

I actually looked a red Magnum Sport that was owned by a electrical contractor or construction guy name David Streeter
Had a 280 Merc package with TRSs He purchased the Sport as fill in boat then got into racing the higher class Offshore boats back in the mid 80s.
He had brought it from some racers out of MA.
when i looked at it, it neither engine would start and it was late fall so it was coming out of the water winter. Was at the Silver Sands Marina in Gilford.

Thank you
jim

mphatc
08-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Hello Mario
we are lucky when we can find one that is saveable.

I actually looked a red Magnum Sport that was owned by a electrical contractor or construction guy name David Streeter
Had a 280 Merc package with TRSs He purchased the Sport as fill in boat then got into racing the higher class Offshore boats back in the mid 80s.
He had brought it from some racers out of MA.
when i looked at it, it neither engine would start and it was late fall so it was coming out of the water winter. Was at the Silver Sands Marina in Gilford.

Thank you
jim

Dave Streeter Electric . . and I know Silver Sands Marina, I'm in that area every other w/e, shall I see if I can relocate that boat for you?

Mario

HIGH LIFE
08-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Mario,Did Dave Streeter race drag cars in the early '70's ? I know some guys that left drag racing to race offshore, me being one. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

mphatc
08-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Mike,

Now that you mention it, I think he did. I grew up iin Gilford and Laconia, and was deeply into muscle cars and boating, a sailor back then, I recall that name tied to drag racing . ..

I ought to just call him and see what happened to the red Magnum!

Mario

dammmagnum
08-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Mike,

Now that you mention it, I think he did. I grew up iin Gilford and Laconia, and was deeply into muscle cars and boating, a sailor back then, I recall that name tied to drag racing . ..

I ought to just call him and see what happened to the red Magnum!

Mario

Hello Mario,

Did you happen to know the late Mike Amalfitano, he owned Polyclad Laminates up in Franklin NH, always had some wild cars and boats. raced classic cars for a while.

not sure that Red Magnum sport is around any more as i went back that Spring and it was gone.

Thanks for the help

Jim

dammmagnum
08-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Mario,Did Dave Streeter race drag cars in the early '70's ? I know some guys that left drag racing to race offshore, me being one. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

Dave Streeter got into a "Open Classboat" after the Red Magnum sport
am sure I could look thru some old Power boat Mags and find him and his boats.

thank you
Jim

anotherScott
08-27-2010, 08:48 AM
hi, i will post some pics of "boss Lady" next week. lindsay P. was the second owner of the boat, which he kept at a marina near me. I approached him one day and asked him if he wanted to sell the boat. He said no, and i gave him my number. He called ten days later! Scott

dammmagnum
08-27-2010, 12:37 PM
hi, i will post some pics of "boss Lady" next week. lindsay P. was the second owner of the boat, which he kept at a marina near me. I approached him one day and asked him if he wanted to sell the boat. He said no, and i gave him my number. He called ten days later! Scott

Hello Scott,

Is that the Lindsay P that repairs and paints boats? If so, he painted my Magnum Sport .

Looking forward to the photos of "Boss Lady"

Thank you
Jim

superhatz
08-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Hello Mario,

Did you happen to know the late Mike Amalfitano, he owned Polyclad Laminates up in Franklin NH, always had some wild cars and boats. raced classic cars for a while.

not sure that Red Magnum sport is around any more as i went back that Spring and it was gone.

Thanks for the help

Jim

Mike Amalfitano still shows up to the vintage Porsche events with some cool stuff...

mphatc
08-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Sadly Mike passed away last December 2009. I met him several times, but never got to know him.
He did have several very cool Porsches, Wonder what will happen to them now?

I did speak with a salesman at Silver Sands today, he knows Dave Streeter, but hasn't seen him in over a year. Also has no recollection of them ever having a Magnum 27 there . . . are you sure it was Silver Sands, or may it have been at Diamond Sheen . . a company that leases space from Silver Sands.

There was a dark blue Magnum 27 on Winni, a white one and this red one, I did locate an old Bertram 28 and think it is the old "X Rated", a boat that has always been on Winni. There was also "Five Queens", IRC this was also a Bertram.

I never knew Mike A was into boats . other than his old Chris Craft.

Mario L.

dammmagnum
08-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Sadly Mike passed away last December 2009. I met him several times, but never got to know him.
He did have several very cool Porsches, Wonder what will happen to them now?

I did speak with a salesman at Silver Sands today, he knows Dave Streeter, but hasn't seen him in over a year. Also has no recollection of them ever having a Magnum 27 there . . . are you sure it was Silver Sands, or may it have been at Diamond Sheen . . a company that leases space from Silver Sands.

There was a dark blue Magnum 27 on Winni, a white one and this red one, I did locate an old Bertram 28 and think it is the old "X Rated", a boat that has always been on Winni. There was also "Five Queens", IRC this was also a Bertram.

I never knew Mike A was into boats . other than his old Chris Craft.

Mario L.

Mario - Aaron

Yes, I had heard that Mike A had passed on in Fla. end of last year
I purchased and used a lot of his Laminate - Pre Preg materials when he owned Poly-Clad Laminates up there.
Mike would play with some flat bottom - ski boat types ,, but he was always in to the fast cars.
Not sure if Dave Streeter kept the Sport at Silver Sands or just had it docked there that Sunday I went to look at it. I think he had purchased it from a guy on the south shore in MA
I'll look thru some old PB magazines and see if I can find a old ad for it.

Didn't Fitzgerald Dodge Viper sell some Sport boats at one time?

Thank you for the help of checking out Magnum Sports up there.

Jim

mphatc
08-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Jim,

Fitzgerald did sell most toys that were testosterone related that could make him money . . . ;-)

Curious, you seem to know the Lakes Region of NH fairly well, what is your connection to the area?

My family used to be a sailboat dealer on Winnipesaukee, and I used to travel around to marinas and do fiberglass repairs during the 70s . . freelance out of the trunk of a 1970 AMX . . that was the life! Good money, easy times, young and free . . . back then no one knew how to do gelcoat repairs . . so over the years I got to meet and do business with lots of the marina owners, but many of these folks have moved on, sold out, etc..

there's still enough of the guys around that remember these boats, so hopefully I can trace a few old ones down . . if nothing else, it'll be fun, I like looking for stuff like this, you never know what opportunity might happen along!

off to work on the boat, plan on launching Time Flies today!

Mario

dammmagnum
08-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Jim,

Fitzgerald did sell most toys that were testosterone related that could make him money . . . ;-)

Curious, you seem to know the Lakes Region of NH fairly well, what is your connection to the area?

My family used to be a sailboat dealer on Winnipesaukee, and I used to travel around to marinas and do fiberglass repairs during the 70s . . freelance out of the trunk of a 1970 AMX . . that was the life! Good money, easy times, young and free . . . back then no one knew how to do gelcoat repairs . . so over the years I got to meet and do business with lots of the marina owners, but many of these folks have moved on, sold out, etc..

there's still enough of the guys around that remember these boats, so hopefully I can trace a few old ones down . . if nothing else, it'll be fun, I like looking for stuff like this, you never know what opportunity might happen along!

off to work on the boat, plan on launching Time Flies today!

Mario

Hello Mario
How soon we forget

I lived in Nashua for 13 years and worked for DEC, We talked about Linda working for DEC in Split Brook a while back,, you even asked me if i knew some people ,, Russ Rabe,, yes i knew Russ.
I worked in DEC Bedford MA , Andover, Littleton and also Supported Salem NH. along with working and living in Puerto Rico working for DEC there .
I know the western end of the Island really well and will be heading there in less them two weeks. Will be looking for a retirement home on the Island for the winter months and then the east coast for the summers.

Lets talk one day soon.
I am sure that I don't know the area as well as you do any more,, but did spend a nice time in the NH/MA area.. When I was moving to NH,,the Late Jeff G, talked me into selling him my Purple Magnum Sport to him ,, In the end I should have kept it and would most likely still have it instead of it sitting in a pile at Chadwick Beach marina in NJ.

Talk to you soon
Have a good weekend and enjoy being out on "Time Flies"... Have fun

Thank you
Jim

superhatz
08-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Mario....I've got a '70 Mark Donohue Javelin....:)

BUIZILLA
08-28-2010, 07:52 PM
cool topic

learned a lot here

scippy
08-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Scippy

Thank you for all your hard work to track Pat and Rob down and then to find out where the Mag is
I was just in Jersey in April and if I had known , I would have drove down there myself and looked at it .
It is a very sad ending,, if it is truly my old sport
as I put so much into it ,, redoing the entire boat. Everything new.

Thank you and if you happen to go by there ,, please do try and take a few shots of it

Thank you
Jim

Jim,

Got over to Chadwick island marina today, spoke wth the owner (Bill) he knew exactly where to take me to find the remains of "Plum Crazy" it was surrounded by cement blocks and backed into the edge of a canal. it didn't appear to have been converted to OB's, but did have the deck cut away in a CC fashion. Bill said, It will be gone forever shorty!

scippy
08-29-2010, 01:00 AM
One more......

Sweet Cheekz
08-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Bill said, It will be gone forever shorty!

Scippy whats that mean?
Parnell

anotherScott
08-29-2010, 10:22 AM
hey jim, no, this Lindsay P. was a pilot. He had the boat totally done over. would be pretty funny if a different Lindsay P. did the work on the boat. I will post pics when I get back home. Scott

dammmagnum
08-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Jim,

Got over to Chadwick island marina today, spoke wth the owner (Bill) he knew exactly where to take me to find the remains of "Plum Crazy" it was surrounded by cement blocks and backed into the edge of a canal. it didn't appear to have been converted to OB's, but did have the deck cut away in a CC fashion. Bill said, It will be gone forever shorty!

Hello Scippy

Good Day, Hope you are having a nice weekedn
Thank you for going over to Chadwick Beach and taking the photos

It really doesn't look very Purple in the photos and mine was a dark purple when it was re-painted. Maybe is is and just doesn't look purple. Also I noticed in the photos that the center stingers were full height and mine was cut down and laminated re-inforced as I had dropped the floor about 7 inched in the forward section of the cockpit.
The other thing that I noticed was that i have two fuel tanks under the cockpit floor towards the engine bulk head and the fillers were on the deck behind the side air intake vents and there is no fillers there and doesn't look like there were any in the photos
i wonder??

It is very sad what happened to a nice Magnum Sport, a Sad ending

Thank you for taking the time to go over there and that these photos

Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
08-29-2010, 12:09 PM
hey jim, no, this Lindsay P. was a pilot. He had the boat totally done over. would be pretty funny if a different Lindsay P. did the work on the boat. I will post pics when I get back home. Scott

Hello Scott

Good Day

thank you, Just happen to have the same name.
Yes, would be interesting if the same Lindsay did it over.

He had his Shop down south of Toms River.

Waiting for the photos

Thank you
Jim

scippy
08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Hello Scippy

Good Day, Hope you are having a nice weekedn
Thank you for going over to Chadwick Beach and taking the photos

It really doesn't look very Purple in the photos and mine was a dark purple when it was re-painted. Maybe is is and just doesn't look purple. Also I noticed in the photos that the center stingers were full height and mine was cut down and laminated re-inforced as I had dropped the floor about 7 inched in the forward section of the cockpit.
The other thing that I noticed was that i have two fuel tanks under the cockpit floor towards the engine bulk head and the fillers were on the deck behind the side air intake vents and there is no fillers there and doesn't look like there were any in the photos
i wonder??

It is very sad what happened to a nice Magnum Sport, a Sad ending

Thank you for taking the time to go over there and that these photos

Thank you
Jim

Jim,

Although I didn't expect the color to be the same some 27 years later. What's really key to this is the modifications particular to your old boat are not there, this can't be "Plum Crazy" I should've taken a gouge of the hullside to see if it were purple underneath, but that's a mute point.

superhatz
08-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I want to save them all....:garfield:

scippy
08-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Scippy whats that mean?
Parnell

P, It means I can't spell the word "shortly" .......also, I'm hanging up the badge. Shorty's detective agency is outta business!

dammmagnum
08-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Jim,

Although I didn't expect the color to be the same some 27 years later. What's really key to this is the modifications particular to your old boat are not there, this can't be "Plum Crazy" I should've taken a gouge of the hullside to see if it were purple underneath, but that's a mute point.

Hello Scippy

Thank you for the work in checking it out. I know it was not that easy to go there and take the photos and track down the Magnum.
Its sad that it needs so much work to bring it back to life as a true sport.

I couldn't ask for better help from you

Thank you.

Best regards
Jim

dammmagnum
08-29-2010, 06:40 PM
I want to save them all....:garfield:

Aaron

I wish we could save them all

Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
08-29-2010, 07:45 PM
P, It means I can't spell the word "shortly" .......also, I'm hanging up the badge. Shorty's detective agency is outta business!

I meant did the guy tell you its going to be history or sold? If I can get it for nothing I will come out and pick it up this week and save it for an idea I have Let me know if you have any idea about its future and the owners or the guy you mets name
Thanks
Parnell

mphatc
08-29-2010, 08:17 PM
What I learned this weekend,

Bringing new life into old boats is a lot of work, and full of frustrations . . .

that flying my Donzi Corsican over big waves makes me smile! but makes my aged back ache.

As Jim proved above, my memory is chit . . .

and I agree this isn't Plum Crazy, popular demand says that Scippy's Detective Agency is still in business . . .

To many variables from the way Jim remembers his boat . . Sorry Scippy, you gotta keep searching . .

Mario L.

dammmagnum
08-29-2010, 10:56 PM
What I learned this weekend,

Bringing new life into old boats is a lot of work, and full of frustrations . . .

that flying my Donzi Corsican over big waves makes me smile! but makes my aged back ache.

As Jim proved above, my memory is chit . . .

and I agree this isn't Plum Crazy, popular demand says that Scippy's Detective Agency is still in business . . .

To many variables from the way Jim remembers his boat . . Sorry Scippy, you gotta keep searching . .

Mario L.

Mario

Than you , Said like a true person from NH

" Live Free or Die"
No,, your memory is not chit , when you message so many people on these web sites, its difficult to keep track and remember who is who and what some times. I will try and scan a photo of the Sport after it was re-painted purple and had a white area on both sides of the forward hull for the M-51 racing numbers.

Thank you

Jim

scippy
08-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey P,
A quote from Bill the owner of Chadwick island marina "if your willing to take them home there yours for free" unquote. Also,the word "them" meaning there are (2) 27' mag sports he'd like outta there soon -or- they'll be removed and junked shortly. We already know the poor condition of what was thought to be Jim's old boat "Plum Crazy". In contrast, the sport next to her is in far better shape. The sport deck is on and intact, it felt a little soft when I walked on it though. It has no hardware, but has the full sport dash panel with morse controls. They put a bracket on the transom for twin OB's. There's still 1 Mercury OB on her. I'm so damm curious now, I'm going back there just to chip some paint "deep" off the hullside to prove or- disprove if Plum Crazy can still be there afterall.............of course, stand by for some pictures soon............................Shorty's detective agency back in business bro!!!

superhatz
08-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Someone save these boats....please.

I may have to drive out and get the more "complete" one....:bonk:

Sweet Cheekz
08-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Waiting for scippy to call me Trailer is hooked up and I may get them both if it all works out we shall see
Parnell

dammmagnum
08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey P,
A quote from Bill the owner of Chadwick island marina "if your willing to take them home there yours for free" unquote. Also,the word "them" meaning there are (2) 27' mag sports he'd like outta there soon -or- they'll be removed and junked shortly. We already know the poor condition of what was thought to be Jim's old boat "Plum Crazy". In contrast, the sport next to her is in far better shape. The sport deck is on and intact, it felt a little soft when I walked on it though. It has no hardware, but has the full sport dash panel with morse controls. They put a bracket on the transom for twin OB's. There's still 1 Mercury OB on her. I'm so damm curious now, I'm going back there just to chip some paint "deep" off the hullside to prove or- disprove if Plum Crazy can still be there afterall.............of course, stand by for some pictures soon............................Shorty's detective agency back in business bro!!!

Hello Scippy,

You are the man!!
looking at the photos on a larger screen, there does appear to be notch cut in the center stringer. With all the bulkhead missing, have to try and determine distance. I will wait to judge until some paint layers are chipped off and see what colors are under the outer layers of paint. Also Plum Crazy was on a Target Trailer with tool boxes under the bow, if it is the same trailer?
The center stringer was also reinforced where it was cut down and the engine bulk head was also reinforced. If this helps.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out. It will be a sad ending, no matter what Sport it is. For both of them.

Thank you
Jim

mphatc
08-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Come on Jim, "sad ending"? and you can get two boats for free . . add to the collection with the Lancer on Ebay and you've got all the parts . . .

Somehow I don't see the ending . . . ;-)

Mario

dammmagnum
08-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Come on Jim, "sad ending"? and you can get two boats for free . . add to the collection with the Lancer on Ebay and you've got all the parts . . .

Somehow I don't see the ending . . . ;-)

Mario

Mario,

I would have to bring them all to California.. then find a place for them all.

but you never know what the future has in store?
The bad part is all the hardware is missing on both hull.
Did you launch this weekend?

Thank you
jim

scippy
08-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Waiting for scippy to call me Trailer is hooked up and I may get them both if it all works out we shall see
Parnell

Hey P,

Good to talk with you today there waiting for ya, fill up the tank and head east. See ya in Jersey!

Sweet Cheekz
08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
You too Scippy Thanks In route in the morning Looking forward to it
Parnell

scippy
08-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Hello Scippy,

You are the man!!
looking at the photos on a larger screen, there does appear to be notch cut in the center stringer. With all the bulkhead missing, have to try and determine distance. I will wait to judge until some paint layers are chipped off and see what colors are under the outer layers of paint. Also Plum Crazy was on a Target Trailer with tool boxes under the bow, if it is the same trailer?
The center stringer was also reinforced where it was cut down and the engine bulk head was also reinforced. If this helps.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out. It will be a sad ending, no matter what Sport it is. For both of them.

Thank you
Jim

Jim, I started this crazy journey with the sole intention of finding "Plum Crazy" for you, but didn't think possible until I found the key person Rob Lauer, he put me on the trail to Chadwick Isl. By the first visit, I walked away thinking, "this can't be the boat, not the way Jim decribed her to me, so I took some pictures & posted them. Most all agreed (me included) probabely not "Plum Crazy" ..........but leaving without checking beneath the hullsides? not good! ....I really had to go back now! Also, from the picture there appears that the center stringer was lowered about 7" right where the front cockpit would be - Sooooooo, Today when I go back, I'm checking (1) the lowered floor, (2) see if it's a Target trailer and (3) if there's purple underneath..............positive, positive & positive. Pictures to follow

dammmagnum
08-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Jim, I started this crazy journey with the sole intention of finding "Plum Crazy" for you, but didn't think possible until I found the key person Rob Lauer, he put me on the trail to Chadwick Isl. By the first visit, I walked away thinking, "this can't be the boat, not the way Jim decribed her to me, so I took some pictures & posted them. Most all agreed (me included) probabely not "Plum Crazy" ..........but leaving without checking beneath the hullsides? not good! ....I really had to go back now! Also, from the picture there appears that the center stringer was lowered about 7" right where the front cockpit would be - Sooooooo, Today when I go back, I'm checking (1) the lowered floor, (2) see if it's a Target trailer and (3) if there's purple underneath..............positive, positive & positive. Pictures to follow

Hello Scippy

Good evening
Thank you for all your help
I owe you big time, and the next time I am back in NJ ,, Will stop by and buy you a drink and or dinner.
it leave me with a heavy heart to see it that way ,,, but that is life,, it was the first real boat that I ever owned. if I had known that Jeff was going to sell it,, I would not have sold it or I would have brought it back from him.
Thank you for all your work in tracking it down.

Hello Parnell:

Best of luck with them,, I hope you can put together at least one good Magnum Sport from the two of them. Think of me when you look at "Plum Crazy"

Thank you everyone for the support and great work in tracking her down .

Jim

scippy
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM

JIM, The first picture shows an area of the cockpit floor cutout (I measured 7'' deep) you can see where reinforcement was removed under and around this cutout.

The second picture shows the boat on a trailer - There is in fact a rectangle tag on the main beam that says, Target trailer's of florida. I can see that there was a tool box
at one time under the bow of the boat but since removed.

The third and most compelling evidence is the "purple" that I found deep after I gouged a few layers of paint. All these things would suggest a positive find for your old "Plum Crazy"

Jim, I'll wait for you to respond to all this, but as far as I'm concerned this has been a most rewarding venture overall, up and down at times and very sad to see the once very sleek
and fast "Plum Crazy" reduced to this butcher job so far removed from her glory days.
The ending will be a sweet and happy one though, right now, Parnell is traveling from Michigan to a small place in south jersey on a 14 hour rescue mission to bring them both home
and ultimately once again to some glory.

mphatc
08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
That sucks :(

These boats are al going the way of the old wooden boats, some day someone is going to regret this . .. .

Scippy, how is the trailer ?. . . My boat is on a roller trailer, would really prefer a steel bunk trailer . . .

Mario

scippy
08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
These are some pictures of the other 27 mag sport that Parnell will be bringing back to Michigan. Next week he'll return once again to bring the old "Plum Crazy" back home as well. When he's done he would amase a total of 56 hours of travel time in a pick-up truck with boat and trailer!.......................................... ..................."Gotta love this guy!

Fast Shafts 1
08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Pete (Scippy) call me-I left a message on your cell phone.
Bob

scippy
08-31-2010, 05:18 PM
That sucks :(

These boats are al going the way of the old wooden boats, some day someone is going to regret this . .. .

Scippy, how is the trailer ?. . . My boat is on a roller trailer, would really prefer a steel bunk trailer . . .

Mario

Hey Mario,

It's a 25 year old plus steel trailer in pretty rough shape....the tires are full, but don't know if the axles are siezed or not will know more tomorrow after Parnell gives it a once over. How'd the windshield come out? I'd like to borrow that template if that's cool with you.

MDonziM
08-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Parnell, If you are taking this project on you are really the man. Keep us up on it.

Marshall

ps Had my starfire out east the past week in the ocean and it was a blast. She was really in her element, handled the swells like a champ.

dammmagnum
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
JIM, The first picture shows an area of the cockpit floor cutout (I measured 7'' deep) you can see where reinforcement was removed under and around this cutout.

The second picture shows the boat on a trailer - There is in fact a rectangle tag on the main beam that says, Target trailer's of florida. I can see that there was a tool box
at one time under the bow of the boat but since removed.

The third and most compelling evidence is the "purple" that I found deep after I gouged a few layers of paint. All these things would suggest a positive find for your old "Plum Crazy"

Jim, I'll wait for you to respond to all this, but as far as I'm concerned this has been a most rewarding venture overall, up and down at times and very sad to see the once very sleek
and fast "Plum Crazy" reduced to this butcher job so far removed from her glory days.
The ending will be a sweet and happy one though, right now, Parnell is traveling from Michigan to a small place in south jersey on a 14 hour rescue mission to bring them both home
and ultimately once again to some glory.

Hello Scippy -Pete

Thank you , I was pretty positive after seeing the first photos on a larger computer screen that it was really the end of "Plum Crazy". Your second trip there and work that you did, really was the extra information that made it 100% sure that it was my sport. I really thank you for going to all this trouble to find her. I feel good that Parnell is going to pick them both up and hopefully get them back to the condition they should be in. If, I was still living back on the east coast, I would have taken on the project of restoring her back myself.

Thank you for putting closure on "Plum Crazy "

Mario,

The Target Trailer had electric brakes and also a removeable drive guard. As Scippy said, it did have two tool boxes up front along with a spare tire holder. The Trailer cost me $2500.00 back in 1976 from Target in Miami.

Thank you everyone for the help. Lets hope we see both of the Sports on the water one of these days. Parnell , please keep me posted on any progress you make on "Plum Crazy"

Jim

scippy
08-31-2010, 09:33 PM
[quote=dammmagnum;576517]Hello Scippy -Pete

Jim, It was my pleasure!......I talked to Parnell today, and he suggested now that we have found and saved her it would only be right to properly re-name her "Plum Crazy" once again.

Also, He asked me (because there's no title on the boat) if you could search for any old documents that might have the boat's original Hull ID #'s He has to start from stratch and re-title her and this would help.

Fast Shafts 1
08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
For what its worth, a few years ago there was a 27 Magnum raceboat "Deranged". The deck was bad and the new owner had a new deck built by Magnum. I think it cost $5,000.
If a new deck could be purchased for "Plum Crazy", it might be the way to go. It would be easier to rebuild the stringers and bulkheads without the deck on. If Parnell doesn't pick up both hulls, I may be interested in one. I regret selling my Magnum hull.:( But she is in good hands with Scippy!:)I'd like to find another:). How did I pass off TWO Magnums in my own backyard???:bonk:Best of luck to Parnell with his restorations!

scippy
08-31-2010, 10:25 PM
For what its worth, a few years ago there was a 27 Magnum raceboat "Deranged". The deck was bad and the new owner had a new deck built by Magnum. I think it cost $5,000.
If a new deck could be purchased for "Plum Crazy", it might be the way to go. It would be easier to rebuild the stringers and bulkheads without the deck on. If Parnell doesn't pick up both hulls, I may be interested in one. I regret selling my Magnum hull.:( But she is in good hands with Scippy!:)I'd like to find another:). How did I pass off TWO Magnums in my own backyard???:bonk:Best of luck to Parnell with his restorations!

Let me bring this all full circle.......Bob (fastshafts 1) his involvement was really the biggest factor in finding "Plum Crazy" I called him and inquired about "if he might have any knowledge of such a boat" his return call to me put me right intoch with someone I had just dealt with several months before, a boat mover named Rob Lauer. I bought Bob's 27 Magnum in April and this local great guy moved it from Tom's river to my home in Jackson. Coincidentally, Rob's mother Pat owned "Plum Crazy" in the 1980's not long after Jim (Magnuman) sold her.
What's so ironic is, if I didn't buy Bob's 27 sport I never would have met Rob L. who told me exactly where to find "Plum Crazy" ........truly 3 degree's of separation!

scippy
08-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Bob, I'll keep you informed as to these here "rescued magnums" Parnell picked up one today and will be back for "Plum Crazy" next week. I invited him to my home next week when he comes back to Jersey, your welcome to come by.............Parnell will have traveled close to 3600 miles when all this rescueing is done!............"How, in Gods name did you let a guy from as far away as Michigan "Literally" take 2 Magnums from your own backyard!:bonk:................................... .............................................Talk to you soon, Scippy

superhatz
08-31-2010, 11:21 PM
I agree with Mario. Someday people will realize how truly iconic the Magnum 27 Sport is. I can't believe someone was going to just throw these boats away!....it makes me sick. The more complete boat is not that bad and it's even an early boat!...was probably super cool back in the day.

Parnell....thank you and keep us posted. I hope they get restored to some former glory.

:beer:

dammmagnum
09-01-2010, 01:10 AM
[quote=dammmagnum;576517]Hello Scippy -Pete

Jim, It was my pleasure!......I talked to Parnell today, and he suggested now that we have found and saved her it would only be right to properly re-name her "Plum Crazy" once again.

Also, He asked me (because there's no title on the boat) if you could search for any old documents that might have the boat's original Hull ID #'s He has to start from stratch and re-title her and this would help.

Scippy-Pete,

Glad to see that Parnell picked up the first Sport today
The Hull number on Plum Crazy was #215 and was listed as a 1973 Sport. I am up in Seattle for a few days, once I get back home, I will check for what ever other information I have and will make copies for Parnell. I will also scan what ever other photos that i have to give a better picture of what it looked like after it was painted.
It would be a pleasure to me that he renamed her "Plum Crazy"

Bob - Fast Shafts1 Thank you for your help in tracking her down.

One thing this does show me, is how many old Magnums are tucked away in marinas or fields or barns and no body is looking for them.

Thru all of this,, it just makes me want another Sport of my own.

Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
09-01-2010, 01:18 AM

Bob- Fast Shafts1,
I agree , ,if a new deck could be purchased for a good price, that would be the way to go, with the deck off, it would be a lot easier to redo the bulkheads and stringers, the transom looks like it set up for Mercs already and would be easier to rebuild.

Thank you for your help.

Jim

HallJ
09-01-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd like to know where those MDS speedo lowers went!

Jeff

dammmagnum
09-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I'd like to know where those MDS speedo lowers went!

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Good Day

They weren't MDS speedo lowers
they were a set of speedo lowers that the racers out of Mich made about 5-6 casting sets and used Volvo gears and shafts in. The form factor of the lowers was even smaller then the standard Volvo speedos.

Enjoy Europe

Thank you
Jim

HallJ
09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Are these the ones that would bolt up to a Volvo upper?

Any pics available? I recall Roger talking about these.

Jeff

dammmagnum
09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Are these the ones that would bolt up to a Volvo upper?

Any pics available? I recall Roger talking about these.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Good day

Yes, these were direct replacement of the Volvo lower units, bolt right up to the Volvo uppers, I would have to look thru some old 35mm slides for photos, if i had any? Am sure some of the Guys on there from Mich,, knew all about them as they made them there. I was told that there were about 5- 6 sets made at one time,, so each of the guys there would have a set up. Not sure is that is true or not?

Am sure that Roger knew about them as I got a pair from Don Stall who had the "Boss Lady " Magnum Sport. There wasn't much that Roger didn't know about when it came to what was happening with the Magnum Sports.
At one time, Holman and Moody had a bunch of the Volvo Speedos, when they were involved in Hi-Po Boats and running the 302/351 Fords
I am sure like my old Magnum Sport,, there are some Volvo Speedos just laying around in shops or barns or Marinas.

Thank you
jim

HallJ
09-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Was is Stern Power that made these special lowers?

Jeff

smidgen too
09-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Was is Stern Power that made these special lowers?

Jeff
Jeff back in the day Wally Harper [lil Smidgen] had the pattern shops, Pete Smith [Wolverine] had the casting foundry, & Kenny Black [Lil Rhino] had the machine shops... This was all the talent you would need to make your own speedmasters, and they did... By 1976 most race teams switched to the Merc trs drives & sold or dumped there Volvo stuff. :boggled: But as time past & as these guys have passed on, all has been lost and forgotten..:eek: I will see Kevin Mathes this weekend I will ask him to talked to his dad Jack Jr again about the Volvo drives..

HallJ
09-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Jeff back in the day Wally Harper [lil Smidgen] had the pattern shops, Pete Smith [Wolverine] had the casting foundry, & Kenny Black [Lil Rhino] had the machine shops... This was all the talent you would need to make your own speedmasters, and they did... By 1976 most race teams switched to the Merc trs drives & sold or dumped there Volvo stuff. :boggled: But as time past & as these guys have passed on, all has been lost and forgotten..:eek: I will see Kevin Mathes this weekend I will ask him to talked to his dad Jack Jr again about the Volvo drives..

Perfect! I would think there would be a market for these if the tooling was still around.

Jeff

smidgen too
09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Perfect! I would think there would be a market for these if the tooling was still around.

Jeff
Jeff you just need to come back in town and play detective,:nilly: I will give you the leads..:bonk:I'm to old to go dumpster diving.:boggled:

dammmagnum
09-02-2010, 01:13 PM

Hello Jeff - Smidgen Too

This is pretty much the story that Don S. told me.
Each of the guys did their part and then made a few sets for everyone to share. Each did the part they were best at. Plus they had the in with the Auto industry engineering folks to help them. I think that Don S. got the set he sold me from Wally H?

Maybe Pat L who purchased my Magnum Sport may know where my lowers ended up, as the transom on my old one looks like it was converted to Mercs also?

Thank you
Jim

Fast Shafts 1
09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Sweet C,
If you don't want the "Plum Crazy" Magnum, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I checked it out today-big project, but what the heck, I don't drink, don't smoke, I'm not married-might as well restore a Magnum!
Bob

dammmagnum
09-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Sweet C,
If you don't want the "Plum Crazy" Magnum, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I checked it out today-big project, but what the heck, I don't drink, don't smoke, I'm not married-might as well restore a Magnum!
Bob

Bob -Fast Shafts 1

If I lived back on the East Coast/NJ ,, I would have it home already.

I am sure it could be restored back to it glory days and with the deck off, it would be a lot easier to do a lot of the work on it. Would be a lot of work,, but doable.
Just being able to get a replacement deck from Magnum would be the key at a reasonable cost.

Thank you

Jim

seano
09-03-2010, 12:41 PM

another option - if magnum won't build a deck - would be to clean up the deck of the one basket case and make a mold of just the foredeck, layup the piece and graft it in....just a thought.

Sweet Cheekz
09-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I thought of that seano since I have two to choose from but I have to tell everyone that my plans are to complete it as a center counsel since its already been butchered
It will make a unique boat and hopefully everyone will be good with it since I will make the other two I own good representatives of the brand First one is put away and I am going to start stripping it of all the wacky things the old owner did of to it. I will take some more pics before hand to show everyone what has been done to it. Pretty amazing what this guy thought was ok to do to a classic!

Parnell

mphatc
09-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Sorry, I need to disagree . . .

Save yourself a bunch of money and buy a used Cigarette 28 center console . . .These can be found running in the $teens . .

IMO, a Magnum 27 center console is a bit low on freeboard . . especially forward . . I think it will look like a big flats boat for fishing in the shallow waters of western FL . . .

Mario L.

Sweet Cheekz
09-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Mario I appreciate the thoughts although if I wanted to save a bunch of money I would not have redone either of my Donzi's nor would I have any of these three Magnums No question it is not the road to financial independence. :boggled:

Since I have two 27's now with decks and this one was already cut I have decided to experiment, finish the project and see what I can do. I like the challenge and I think I will have a really unusual boat. No question freeboard all around the boat is an issue however I will not be fishing and I plan on putting a small cabin in front ala a concept If I completely screw it up I can always add the deck later.
We shall see
Parnell

HIGH LIFE
09-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Sweet Cheekz, Good to see you saved these two MAGNUMS. To get a idea on making one a CC you can look on BANANA BOAT CO.com website.
The hull is a 27' MAGNUM with a CC deck, my friend has one rigged w/o/b, very nice. If you need parts for your restorations I have some. Good luck, Michael "HIGH LIFE"

fogducker III
09-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I just spent the morning, three cups of coffee, reading this entire thread.....this gentlemen, is a friggin movie of the week in the making....:yes:

The history, knowledge and just darn love of old fast boats is incredible!!!

The group of guys here have worked together sharing information and past history to find and retrive these two boats and while doing this have enlightened myself and I am sure others, to the past glory of these fantastic boats and the people involved in their almost forgotten glory days....

all I can say is, "Well done."...:thumbsup:

superhatz
09-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Sweet Cheekz, Good to see you saved these two MAGNUMS. To get a idea on making one a CC you can look on BANANA BOAT CO.com website.
The hull is a 27' MAGNUM with a CC deck, my friend has one rigged w/o/b, very nice. If you need parts for your restorations I have some. Good luck, Michael "HIGH LIFE"

Magnum made a center console 27....

Sweet Cheekz
09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Sweet Aaron Do you have any other pics of that or info/
The only thing I don't like is that I want to keep the side vents if possible to retain the look. Might not be possible width wise but I will be doing some measurements.

High Life sent you a pm Thanks Do you have some pics of yours and or your friends?
Parnell

superhatz
09-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Parnell...I have more pics of CC 27s at home....I'll try and post them. They were made from the mid-late 80's....up until about 2000...:)

-Aaron

smidgen too
09-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Magnum made a center console 27....
Aaron that Mag was on Lake St Clair but I believe it was for sale last year... At one time we had at least 25 Mags on this lake, :yes: And 5 were on my street ... [P-88 Believe It, P-14 Anaconda, M-588 CHARGE It, 288 MAGNUM FORCE, & Kate At The Door] Then JEFF CAME HERE to Lake St Clair !!! :nilly: Now all the Mag's are leaving town :boggled:. Mark h2o

Sweet Cheekz
09-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Mark
That would have been a really fun time for sure. Did anyone ever post approximately how many 27 sports were produced?
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Mark
How many mags left on LSC?
Parnell

MDonziM
09-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Mark
That would have been a really fun time for sure. Did anyone ever post approximately how many 27 sports were produced?
Parnell

Look on OSO and see Bud Weisner's build list from Magnum, the total 27' production is roughly 300, sports, sedans, starfires and malteses. I think mag even made 2 or 3 center consoles before they stopped the run in the early 80's.

Marshall

Sweet Cheekz
09-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks Marshall I forgot about that list
Parnell

superhatz
09-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Mark
Parnell

Total 27 hulls was just over 400.....right about 250 Sports.

scippy
09-05-2010, 09:10 PM

It's just a guess though, but I'm thinking less than half of all these hulls are still in existance today. No way of really knowing, but the trend of recent history might support the math.

superhatz
09-05-2010, 10:10 PM
It's just a guess though, but I'm thinking less than half of all these hulls are still in existance today. No way of really knowing, but the trend of recent history might support the math.

Totally agree....sad but true.

dammmagnum
09-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Totally agree....sad but true.

Aaron

I also have to agree,, and who knows how many are sitting in fields, barns or marina's the same shape as my old Sport or the other Sport that Parnell picked up already, or even worst?
Very sad, A part of history lost.

Thank you
Jim

MDonziM
09-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Oops, I meant 400 not 300, should have remembered since mine is #388...

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Aaron

I also have to agree,, and who knows how many are sitting in fields, barns or marina's the same shape as my old Sport or the other Sport that Parnell picked up already, or even worst?
Very sad, A part of history lost.

Thank you
Jim

Jim
Have you seen the pics I posted? Not sure how they could be worse :boggled:
Even with all the crap this last owner had done to these two boats they really do have a timeless style and beauty that is hard to improve on. I had so much fun yesterday for 11 hours tearing all the garbage off my boat and look forward to getting plum crazy home and dried out. No hardware to strip on her.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 09:04 AM
OSO had a thread once about all the Cafe Racers in existence with Pics Might we try one of those even though we do not have all the hull numbers just a thought

dammmagnum
09-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Jim
Have you seen the pics I posted? Not sure how they could be worse :boggled:
Even with all the crap this last owner had done to these two boats they really do have a timeless style and beauty that is hard to improve on. I had so much fun yesterday for 11 hours tearing all the garbage off my boat and look forward to getting plum crazy home and dried out. No hardware to strip on her.
Parnell

Hello Parnell
Happy Labor Day Monday

Yes, was looking at the photos of the other Sport,, sure does look like mess, Makes you wonder what his thoughts were, to do what he did?

I wonder what kind of car dealer he was and what kind of cars he sold
if he butchered these two boats up like they were.
wonder where all the hardware went from both boats?

Yes, they do have timeless style,, a major part of the history of offshore boats.
I remember Richie Powers saying once that Don Aronow told him that the 27 Magnum Sport was the best looking boat he ever built,, had the best lines
I have to agree with that statement. I picked up Sea-Wraith(Plum Crazy) in 1976

I hope you keep us posted on the progress of both Sports and hopefully
one day soon ,, i will have another one.
If you need any info on the Plum Crazy boat,, just let me know

Thank you for saving them

Jim

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Jim
I agree with all the comments Always thought they were as beautiful as it gets.
I would love any pics you have and a little history you might know about the boat Power, drives owners ect. Also do you have the hin and year? Thanks
I asume someone or ones pillaged the parts as it sat outside for three years I don't know anything else about the owner than what they told me at the marina. The guy that put it on the trailer said he went out in it a few years ago and it ran nice. Who puts a 150 and a 135 on the same boat?Parnell

smidgen too
09-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Mark
How many mags left on LSC?
Parnell
Parnell hard to say for sure, but I believe there are 10.
There is my 1 sedan, :lookaroun: 7 sports, 2 starfires. :yes: Mark h2o

Sweet Cheekz
09-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Still a good amount I doubt there is anywhere else around that has that many in a relatively small space (50 mile radius )

Look forward to bringing one of mine over for a jobbie nooner someday
Parnell

smidgen too
09-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Still a good amount I doubt there is anywhere else around that has that many in a relatively small space (50 mile radius )

Look forward to bringing one of mine over for a jobbie nooner someday
Parnell
True,, and dont forget about all the Cig's,, Mirages, Pantera's, & Corsa's that were on the lake too. Jobbie nooner two is next Saterday. :yes:

scippy
09-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Parnell,

I forgot to tell ya, on my way to Ortley beach on Fri. to pick-up the side vents I stopped in at Chadwick Isl. marina to check in on the Mag. It sits alone on the opposite side of the marina apart from all the other boats............from a distance and because it sits high on the black steel trailer, you become drawn to the beautiful shape of just the hull, as if it were just pulled from the mold and waiting for further assembly.

Anyway, spoke to Bill about the trailer once more. I get the impression he would deal for it to be gone. He says, his buddy is interested, but I think he's playing smart to get a reaction from me. I'm going to let some time go by and see how he feels about it down the road might be a different tune then -or - might just be gone!

When I see you on Wednesday evening, will you have the lifting cleats? no rush, just thought if you did you can save the shipping cost, no problem any which way...............get some sleep, you got a trip ahead of you real soon!

dammmagnum
09-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Jim
I would love any pics you have and a little history you might know about the boat Power, drives owners ect. Also do you have the hin and year? Thanks
I asume someone or ones pillaged the parts as it sat outside for three years I don't know anything else about the owner than what they told me at the marina. The guy that put it on the trailer said he went out in it a few years ago and it ran nice. Who puts a 150 and a 135 on the same boat?Parnell

Hello Parnell

I purchased the Magnum in Feb of 1976, from a auto racer and auto/airplane restored in Maitland Fla , his name was Pete Sherman,, he also races CanAm cars. Not sure if he was the first or second owner. I think second onwer.
I sold it to the late Jeff G in 1982.,, and I thought he sold it to Pat L, the woman that had a couple of hi -po boats in NJ right after I sold it to him.
The Magnum Sport was a 1973 and the # is 215.
it had Crusaders Super Scorpion 350 Engines with Volvo 270 drives when i got it.
The Engines were new rebuilt when i sold it to the late Jeff G.
the only parts old were the blocks, they were 355cu in motors.
Crane 280 Cams, 10 to one pistons and blueprinted. Also had racing motor mounts installed. Convert to Merc Thunderbolt ignition systems
The drives were raised 2 inches and had a custom power trim system installed by Roger Munn. Also got from Roger the heavy duty input shafts for the lower units and also out put shafts to take Merc Clever props.
Had Hynautic Sterring installed, the bottom was trued I installed
280 K-planes..and Blue water indicator panel for drive and tabs.
had a new 3 man racing bolster made by Biltrite(Miami) with drop seats , also had the two man racing bolster. all the interior was new candy strip lite purple and white. Floor was dropped 7 inches. i converted it back to the Crusader Super Scorpion exhaust manifolds and then made water jacketed SS trail pipes.

I also had a set of lower speedo type lowers units for the drives made by the guys in Mich.
I did all new wiring, all new fuel -water lines, oil lines and coolers. Tanks were tested and I installed two 18 glas tanks under the cockpit floor mounted towards the back seat.
Will fill you on more as i go on
Thank you
will do what i can with photos ,, I have some after it was repainted and before it was re-named "Plum Crazy"

Jim
jim

dammmagnum
09-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Jim
Parnell
lets see if this will work ?

smidgen too
09-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Parnell
lets see if this will work ?
BIG SEA's :nilly: Jim now that's Magnum water !!!:yes: Mark

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Jim
Thanks for all the info It seems a bit wierd to ask all these questions when I didn't buy it from you but I appreciate your knowledge of the boat it really does sound like a beauty in its day. I would have prefered to have bought it from you in that condition but better what I will do to it than the scrap pile I assume. Also thanks for the pics. Any more you find would be great

Scippy
I forgot this is the first week of school for my 11 year old so I am going to head over Sunday night. Hopefully that is ok with you. I will get those rings off and bring them with me Let me know if thats a problem Thanks
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Can someone help complete the hull number if the boat is 215 Whats the other logical numbers? Thanks
Parnell

dammmagnum
09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
BIG SEA's :nilly: Jim now that's Magnum water !!!:yes: Mark

Hello Mark ,

Was Fla in 1975 just before I purchased the boat
was the only photos he would give me of the Magnum,

Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Jim
Thanks for all the info It seems a bit wierd to ask all these questions when I didn't buy it from you but I appreciate your knowledge of the boat it really does sound like a beauty in its day. I would have prefered to have bought it from you in that condition but better what I will do to it than the scrap pile I assume. Also thanks for the pics. Any more you find would be great

Scippy
I forgot this is the first week of school for my 11 year old so I am going to head over Sunday night. Hopefully that is ok with you. I will get those rings off and bring them with me Let me know if thats a problem Thanks
Parnell

Hello Parnell,
Not a problem about the question, if I was back on the east coast,, I would have picked it back up myself and then decided what to do with it.
i will try and scan some photos after it was re-painted, have them just have to scan them, may also have some 35 mm slide. if you go back in this thread there are two other photos that I posted, one is of the guys before me at a race and one of me racing the 1976 Benihana GP in NJ.
from the photos that Scippy took ,, it looks like it was converted to Mercs drives. For what I spent on all the Volvo stuff back then, I may have been able to convert to Merc TRS drives. Oh well,

Thank you
jim

dammmagnum
09-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Can someone help complete the hull number if the boat is 215 Whats the other logical numbers? Thanks
Parnell

Parnell

That was the only number(215) that was marked under the console and under the bucket seat cushions
I also had both buckets seats(candy strips) and the stands with three cockpit covers for seats and racing bolsters along with full covers( travel cover and winter cover), It spent most the time i had it inside a 30x35 heated garage.

thank you

Jim

HallJ
09-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Jim,

Any pictures of the Engines and Drives from back in the day?

Jeff

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Jim
It sounds like it was a really nice boat.
Parnell

scippy
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Scippy
Parnell[/quote]

No problem at all, give me a call sometime along your trip back east to get my address. I would also call Bill @ Chadwick Island marina to give a heads up...............Also, they're closed on Mondays!

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
OOpps that screws up my plans I will get there Monday night instead if thats alright? Thanks for the headsup. See you next week
Parnell

scippy
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Parnell

That was the only number(215) that was marked under the console and under the bucket seat cushions
I also had both buckets seats(candy strips) and the stands with three cockpit covers for seats and racing bolsters along with full covers( travel cover and winter cover), It spent most the time i had it inside a 30x35 heated garage.

thank you

Jim

Jim, I beleive what Parnell's looking for is a series of numbers like you would need to have to supply when you registered it -or- maybe you have some old insurance documents for the boat that might have some ID numbers...........................The number 215 you found under the console is the build sequence number from the Magnum factory.

scippy
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
OOpps that screws up my plans I will get there Monday night instead if thats alright? Thanks for the headsup. See you next week
Parnell

That's all right!...........What's most important is having Bill there to load the boat for ya, calling him seems the most important thing to do.
Ask him "what's up with the steel trailer" curious to know what he intends. to a friend?......maybe selling it?

HIGH LIFE
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Parnell, On some of the early MAGNUM'S there was a plastic tag on the engine bulkhead , I have seen a few, so if you have #215 that would be the hull # period. Look on OSO, MAGNUM site for Mr. VINYL posts re: hull # and build date. "HIGH LIFE"

scippy
09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Michael, Did you get down to the basement to find that Anchor hatch yet?..........Also, did you sell those bucket seat shells?

dammmagnum
09-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Jim,

Any pictures of the Engines and Drives from back in the day?

Jeff

Hello Jeff

I would have to look thru some old 35 mm slides as i took those back then
will check to see
thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Jim
It sounds like it was a really nice boat.
Parnell

Hello Parnell

I always thought it was a really nice boat, I pretty much put the best that i could find into it.All Aeroquip fuel lines with SS fittings, all Earl's pumping SS lines on the engine and water/oil lines. Big Merc cast oil pans,
New Target Trailer with two tool boxes , two spare tires.

I will work on more photos/slides

Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
09-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Jim, I beleive what Parnell's looking for is a series of numbers like you would need to have to supply when you registered it -or- maybe you have some old insurance documents for the boat that might have some ID numbers...........................The number 215 you found under the console is the build sequence number from the Magnum factory.
\
Hello Scippy

I will have to check thru a old huge plastic tub that i have with some of my old Magnum stuff in it,, Will check for you

Yes, it was insured and did have current NJ Regs.

Thank you

Jim

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Parnell, On some of the early MAGNUM'S there was a plastic tag on the engine bulkhead , I have seen a few, so if you have #215 that would be the hull # period. Look on OSO, MAGNUM site for Mr. VINYL posts re: hull # and build date. "HIGH LIFE"
Michael
There is no bulkhead, or dash, or anything else for that matter. I meant there must have been a prefix, possibly mag and a few numbers signifing month built ect. On the 73 I saw yesterday it had a hin on the transom and it started with mag.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2010, 08:47 AM
The Magnum Sport was a 1973 and the # is 215.

Jim
jim

I was just looking at Buds list on oso and it looks to me like hull 215 was built in August 1972? Thoughts?
Parnell

dammmagnum
09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I was just looking at Buds list on oso and it looks to me like hull 215 was built in August 1972? Thoughts?
Parnell

Hello Parnell

When I got it, there was no ID numbers on the transom. My understanding was that the number(215) was asigned/placed when the hull came out of the mold, or in the mold, but the hull/deck may not have been rigged and completed until a later date, I can be wrong about that. I am sure that some of the other folks on here and on the OSO site (Magnum forum) would know a lot better then me on how the dates and numbering system worked at Magnum.
When I purchased the sport, I was told it was a 1973 sport, it had Fla paperwork and it was registered in Fla as a 1973 Magnum sport.

I will look for more paperwork but may take me a week or so ,as I will be travelling for a little longer then a week.
what ever paper work I have, i will let you have.

Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Jim
No rush just whenever you can find it that would be great.
I did speak to the owner of the raceboat I posted that I found yesterday if anyone is interested pretty good price Give me a shout
Parnell

dammmagnum
09-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks Jim
No rush just whenever you can find it that would be great.
I did speak to the owner of the raceboat I posted that I found yesterday if anyone is interested pretty good price Give me a shout
Parnell

Parnell

What are they asking for the Magnum Race boat?

According to Mark H2O it sounds like it may need a complete make over with new stringers and transom?

Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Jim
PM sent
Parnell

superhatz
09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Parnell

If this is true....the HIN would be most likely: MAG272150872

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Thats what I was looking for
Thanks Aaron

Parnell

dammmagnum
09-09-2010, 12:28 AM

Aaron

Thank You
that would make sense then

Jim

Sweet Cheekz
09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Got her home and the deck was a little loose and under the rubrail area the boat is purple.
Parnell

dammmagnum
09-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Got her home and the deck was a little loose and under the rubrail area the boat is purple.
Parnell

Hello Parnell

Good Day
Glad that you made it back home safely and that the purple was the last bit of proof

Thank you for saving them

will work on photos and papers when I return home next week

Jim

Sweet Cheekz
09-16-2010, 07:02 AM
My Pleasure Jim

Any info or pics is always appreciated

Parnell

anotherScott
10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
hey jim, finally got a pic of the "boss lady"........scott

dammmagnum
10-20-2010, 12:26 AM
My Pleasure Jim

Any info or pics is always appreciated

Parnell
\
Hello Parnell

I didn't forget you
will work on some stuff for you
Thank you
Jim

dammmagnum
10-20-2010, 12:28 AM
hey jim, finally got a pic of the "boss lady"........scott

Hello Scott , can you post the photos?

Be great to see "Boss Lady" agian

Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
10-20-2010, 08:59 AM
\
Hello Parnell

I didn't forget you
will work on some stuff for you
Thank you
Jim

Hi Jim
I know you are busy and they arent going anywhere so whenever you can. Its going to be a long winter
Thanks
Parnell

dammmagnum
10-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi Jim
I know you are busy and they arent going anywhere so whenever you can. Its going to be a long winter
Thanks
Parnell

Hello Parnell

When you get the time
PM your e-mail and I will start to send you some of the first photos I photos that i have

Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
10-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Done Thanks
Parnell

HallJ
10-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Hello Scott , can you post the photos?

Be great to see "Boss Lady" agian

Thank you
Jim

I see this is Boss Lady II. What was Boss Lady I?

Jeff

dammmagnum
10-22-2010, 12:15 AM
I see this is Boss Lady II. What was Boss Lady I?

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I only knew the Magnum Sport ,, so not sure what Boss Lady I was?

Am sure that Steve (LuckyStrike) on OSO may know, as he knew Don S. who owned Boss Lady pretty well.

Thank you
Jim

IpanemaSports
12-07-2010, 05:03 AM
WOW!

Great thread. :yes: