PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

RacnJasn
08-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Hello Donzi forum, I've been a Donzi lover since I was very young and the time has come to start researching for my first Don! I am searching for a used x18. I'm not in a great rush but want to get educated before buying. I own a Subaru WRX and love it. I wish I joined a forum before buying it. I have worked the car to a point where I am very pleased with it's performance and durability. My friends on the Subaru board are great. Track days, cruises, open road rallies and working on the cars have introduced me to some terrific friends and amazing cars. This fall I make the final payment on the Subie and am looking for my next obsession. A "Donzi disorder" seems like a fine pass time. I spend my holidays and weekends in the Muskoka's and there are many nice Donzis on the lakes. My fav has always been the 18 classic. Really like the barrelback editions. Thanks in advance for your help. Jason

This one looks FINE!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62806

axelkloehn
08-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Good idea joining the forum before buying and making a mistake. I bought my boat before and learned so much after joining donzi.net which really changed my restoration process, but for some things it was already too late...
There are extremely helpful users around here who can give you a lot of advices and guide you thru any fixation you might need to do.

The 18 is a good choice in my opinion, bigger than the 16 but not too big, good performance with small blocks and not as expansive as the 22.

RacnJasn
08-04-2010, 12:51 PM
The Muskoka Lakes are smallish. 16's, 18's and some 22's. There are some bigger boats but they don't "fit" on the lake or blend with the smaller boats. They really belong on Georgian Bay where they can run free!! noise is a bit of an issue too. I love the rumble but want silent choice for covert night Ops. I personally think the 18 is proportionally correct in the small Donzi line up, besides my boathouse slip is only 7'6" wide.
I am also considering buying a new 18 because my wife's cousin owns Muskoka Lakes Marine and has the Donzi distribution in the area!!! I would really like to support him but don't have a huge cash flow as a Sgt. in the Canadian Forces. If there are advantages that counter the depreciation hit I would like to here about them. Thanks

Threw in some pics.
Boathouse 7' slip on left will be new home for Donzi

"The Bauery" My dads replica steamboat, he loves this thing! Name from NYC district and family name Bauer

My sister and brolaw's restored mid 70's Cig. This boat is fast and smooth, 80+

Me with my boys about 10 years ago with "Strike Three" 1952 Shepherd, bought new by my grandad in 52'. Boat name from love of game and the fact the vessel endured 3 strikes during production, Shepherd boats, Chrystler Marine and Shipping company.

+1 for the avatar Axel.... "Ve Make Zee Best Beer In Ze Vorld"

axelkloehn
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Very nice boats and nice pix. Wish you luck with your Donzi-search, Axel

Tony
08-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome to the board. Soon the northern contingent will chime in, there are quite a few within a few hours of Muskoka. Imho...while it's nice to go new I do not feel the sticker shock is an equal trade-off when compared to a turn-key used. Let your budget decide how old, and right now there are many sweet boats on our "Donzis For Sale" section.

Good luck...