PDA

View Full Version : Going Faster vs Cost

tmh
08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I' didn't want to hijack the previous Alpha drive thread that is interesting as well as entertaining.

What are the better modifications for performance and speed? I never knew that hydraulic steering could generate more speed. I thought it was purely to benefit handling. What is the cost of modifications versus the benefits? My interest is for an 18c but I imagine it applies to a large degree to a 16 or possibly even a 22.

I see that owners raise the X dimension, change drives, engines, steering, intake, exhaust; go to supercharging and turbocharging, shifting weight, etc. This may be similar to a thread a couple months ago asking what would be an "ideal" 18. In my case 75 mph is about as fast as I need to go and I want a boat that is reliable and versatile. How would you spend your money on improvements, what would be the result, and how much would it cost, assuming you are doing some of the basic labor and you are not a top mechanic. as always, thanks for the help.
T.M. Hayes

Rootsy
08-03-2010, 01:42 PM
for an 18? Alpha SS... Lighten up the engine (exhaust, intake, etc)... 375 or so PSHP... proper propeller... That will get you the speed... Add some single ram external hydraulic steering which runs off of the internal proportioning valve for the merc power steering and have yourself a gay ole time...

I would also spend the time and money to put an HD gearset in the top of the SS at a bare minimum...

CHACHI
08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I had no increase in speed with hydraulic steering. I did get a better handling boat.

Ken

fogducker III
08-03-2010, 02:48 PM
If you have an Alpha, an SS is the way to go with additions as per Rootsy's comments....if you have a Bravo, an Imco shortie with the add on steering and the right prop is the way to go......my last boat, 18C with the 377 Scorpion, shortie, add on steering and a "worked" 23P Laser II prop did mid 70's all day long.......rock solid....god I miss that boat....:garfield:

Carl C
08-03-2010, 04:17 PM
I had no increase in speed with hydraulic steering. I did get a better handling boat.
Ken

Ditto. I may have even lost a bit of top end due to the added weight but I love the steering. I can take my hands off the wheel at any speed!

Back to the original question; I think Rootsy summed it up well.

tmh
08-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I'll ask this with a different twist since I'll be converting to the DPX drive this fall/winter. For my 18c what motor would you put in the boat for a reliable package. The current engine is an MPI and would you stick with injection or go to carbs? Mid 75mph to upper 70's is fast enough for me so I don't need tremendous power. Can I get by with my current exhaust (Q&Q) and I know I don't want the loudness of straight pipes. What would you use for intake and heads and does EFI require different heads? Is my current 350/300 MPI engine of any value for building a different engine?
T.M. Hayes

fogducker III
08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Pull your current motor and have it stroked to 383, then go to carb.....easy to fix and adjust out on the water...or stick with the EFI I don't believe any major changes are needed....

The Hedgehog
08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
for an 18? Alpha SS... Lighten up the engine (exhaust, intake, etc)... 375 or so PSHP... proper propeller... That will get you the speed... Add some single ram external hydraulic steering which runs off of the internal proportioning valve for the merc power steering and have yourself a gay ole time...

I would also spend the time and money to put an HD gearset in the top of the SS at a bare minimum...

+3. That sounds about right to me.:pimp:

blackhawk
08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I'll ask this with a different twist since I'll be converting to the DPX drive this fall/winter. For my 18c what motor would you put in the boat for a reliable package. The current engine is an MPI and would you stick with injection or go to carbs? Mid 75mph to upper 70's is fast enough for me so I don't need tremendous power. Can I get by with my current exhaust (Q&Q) and I know I don't want the loudness of straight pipes. What would you use for intake and heads and does EFI require different heads? Is my current 350/300 MPI engine of any value for building a different engine?
T.M. Hayes

Well you already have full hydraulic steering so you're off to a good start! :D

I would guess 400hp should give you the speeds you need? Plenty of engine builders out there can do that while retaining EFI. The question will be if you can use the Q and Q without reversion.