PDA

View Full Version : Z33 Crossbow performance

MinkeeDeez
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Hello, I am new to this site and wanted to see what you guys think.
I bought a 1990 Z33 Crossbow this spring, it has 454 mags (365hp) with Bravo 1s @1.5:1 and 23p Mirage props. The boat only has 300 hrs on it and it’s in great shape. The motors feel very solid.
I wanted to get your opinions on the performance. Currently with the 23p props I can get 4900 rpms trimmed up, at a speed of 62 MPH (slip of .1285) on a Lowrance GPS. I wanted to try a bigger propeller so I got a set of 25p Mirages, my RPMs went down to 4550 @ at speed of 62.2. (slip of .1338) It would be nice to turn the bigger props however the 454s just don’t have the power to turn them. I thing a slip of 12-13% is good for this boat after all it has a wide beam.
Anyone else running a setup like this? What’s your setup, speed, slip, etc.

gcarter
08-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Donzigo has had a similar boat for many years. His is immaculate, and neverr lacks for anything.
His also had very similar performance until he repowered it w/new 496's and new Bravo I's.
We're talking about some pretty serrious $$$$ here and it payed off w/speeds in the low 70's.

MinkeeDeez
08-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Donzigo has had a similar boat for many years. His is immaculate, and neverr lacks for anything.
His also had very similar performance until he repowered it w/new 496's and new Bravo I's.
We're talking about some pretty serrious $$$$ here and it payed off w/speeds in the low 70's.

Thanks for the reply, I have been reading a lot of the posts here, and at other sites. I did read some of his, and the #s after the repower. Its nice to see there are some people here than can tell the truth. There are some guys here that have an inflated sense of reality, “my boat does 74 with 454s” yea right! If you to the math you come up with a negative slip. Who do they think there kidding? I believe the low 70s # with the 496s. I just ran into (last night) one other person on the lake with the same set up, and his #s are the same as mine. I wanted to get an idea of the different slip factors for different Crossbows. It seems that most of them are around 13%. The one beauty of the internet is there are too many people out there that know what reality is, and they can put the BSers in there place.

MinkeeDeez
08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Anyone have any experience with 4 blades? I'm thinking I might need a 22p 4 blade.

The Hedgehog
08-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Anyone have any experience with 4 blades? I'm thinking I might need a 22p 4 blade.

4 blades are generally used for new generation hulls with more aggressive x-dimensions. If you run them with a lower X, they usually run slower.

If you can get your hands on a set, they are always worth a try though.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM

If you get to the point where you want some 22P Hydromotive QIVs, just let me know. I have a near perfect set of L and R with the 1" shaft for TRS or Bravo 1 that I would sell for $480 (includes shipping) delivered to anywhere in the continental US. The Hydromotives work very well on my 36' Cigarette and 23' Eliminator Daytona. Bill

MinkeeDeez
08-10-2010, 12:17 PM
If you get to the point where you want some 22P Hydromotive QIVs, just let me know. I have a near perfect set of L and R with the 1" shaft for TRS or Bravo 1 that I would sell for $480 (includes shipping) delivered to anywhere in the continental US. The Hydromotives work very well on my 36' Cigarette and 23' Eliminator Daytona. Bill
I will keep that in mind, but for now I going to stay with the the 23s.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-10-2010, 08:40 PM
I will keep that in mind, but for now I going to stay with the the 23s.

The 22P four blade Hydromotives are like the 3 blade 23P in terms of effective pitch since they bite more water. Bill

MinkeeDeez
08-20-2010, 09:11 AM
So I have been doing some research on this boat, a few people have told me that this hull is a very heavy and thick glass hull, and not a very fast one at that. They say it takes a lot of power to get this boat moving, (so I have found out) This is my first Donzi and so far I’m not that thrilled with this boat, for a 33’ there is not much room in it, and it’s on the slow side. I had an older 33 Scarab which had more room in it and was faster. I feel like I have taken a step backwards.

mrfixxall
08-20-2010, 10:21 AM
So I have been doing some research on this boat, a few people have told me that this hull is a very heavy and thick glass hull, and not a very fast one at that. They say it takes a lot of power to get this boat moving, (so I have found out) This is my first Donzi and so far I’m not that thrilled with this boat, for a 33’ there is not much room in it, and it’s on the slow side. I had an older 33 Scarab which had more room in it and was faster. I feel like I have taken a step backwards.

Alot of people like the z33, that hull is a wave crusher,i would trade the weight for hp any day..Sounds like you need to go spend a 100 k on a faster boat if your not happy with it..

Have you checked the boat out? check drive alignment? do a cylinder leak down? made sure that the engines are running properly? did you check for rotted stringers or possibly the boat was uncovered for years and the boat is waterlogged?

Donzi go is the guy you need to talk to. He has a 33 with a pair of 496 ho's and loves his boat and it will crack into the 70's any day of the week.

I think your expecting to much for what you have..

BTW we need to see pictures of this gem..please post them...

MinkeeDeez
08-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Alot of people like the z33, that hull is a wave crusher,i would trade the weight for hp any day..Sounds like you need to go spend a 100 k on a faster boat if your not happy with it..

Have you checked the boat out? check drive alignment? do a cylinder leak down? made sure that the engines are running properly? did you check for rotted stringers or possibly the boat was uncovered for years and the boat is waterlogged?

Donzi go is the guy you need to talk to. He has a 33 with a pair of 496 ho's and loves his boat and it will crack into the 70's any day of the week.

I think your expecting to much for what you have..

BTW we need to see pictures of this gem..please post them...

The boat ckecked out in great condition, no rotten stuff, Only very minor moisture around the deck hatch, stringers all "sounded out" good, it was a good survey! Compression & Leak down were all good, OIL samples came back clean, no iron, or metalic traces. motors are sound! I will need to comfortable with the "seems like a smaller size and going 62" not going to spend the $ on a repower for an older boat!

gcarter
08-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Digger has probably one of the nicest 33's around w/502s. The boat performs very well and has won awards at various events.
Another route to go is a little later 33' stepped hull. These boats will do very well everything else considered. The steps really pick it up.

There're a lot of offshore boats in the 33'-36' range that don't go w/o quite a bit of power. There's nothing exclusive about Donzi in that regard.

COOL CROSSBOW
12-06-2010, 10:55 PM
I didnt know anything about a boat other than I wanted one. My friend bought a Z-33 in very miss used shape. We dove in and rebuilt every thing from engines back. Still needs paint and interior. Anyway we got it to go 75 on GPS not knowing how to trim it out. Yes its heavy, yes he spent $$$$ doing it. But that boat rides so good. When im asked what is the difference in it and the other named boats of the same size. I tell them its like a SL550 VS Z06. The Z06 may go 3 to 5 mph faster top speed but the SL550 is going to do it more comfortably and you want spill you drink doing it. :shades:

bigdawgchallenger
12-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok, First thing I have to ask is where do you boat? I am on my second year with my 89 Z33 and love it. Yes, its not fast enough, but then again is it ever fast enough? You can spend a hell of a lot of money to go faster in the Z or you could spend a hell of a lot on another boat. Bottom line is value, enjoyment, and needs. I am on lake Erie and have no problem in 6 to 8 footers. Of course you cant go fast in that stuff, but not many can. I even ventured out of the break wall in 12 to 14 footers just to see what she would do (had fun, but not recommended) wish I had a video of that one. I guess what I am trying to say is that its a great riding hull with halfway decent speed for the money.

Give me a call and I will share all my Prop/engine changes with you if you would like.

Mike
216-315-0125

FISHIN SUCKS
12-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Love the pic in front of the stadium Mike!!! we were just there a couple months ago for the Browns/Bengals game. Well put too, How much money do ya wanna spend to go fast? Mike, did you have 540's or 454's put in yours? cant remember, but for the most part, she ran pretty well at AOTH......70ish range???

joseph m. hahnl
12-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have been reading a lot of the posts here, and at other sites. I did read some of his, and the #s after the repower. Its nice to see there are some people here than can tell the truth. There are some guys here that have an inflated sense of reality, “my boat does 74 with 454s” yea right! If you to the math you come up with a negative slip. Who do they think there kidding? I believe the low 70s # with the 496s. I just ran into (last night) one other person on the lake with the same set up, and his #s are the same as mine. I wanted to get an idea of the different slip factors for different Crossbows. It seems that most of them are around 13%. The one beauty of the internet is there are too many people out there that know what reality is, and they can put the BSers in there place.

Keep in mind displacement is not the key factor. Torque and horsepower are. A set of 454 can be pumped up for a lot less then 2 new 496.For some it is easier to plop in two new motors because they don't have the time or the facilities to modify an engine. Some others who can't afford such a package , would slowly up grade components of an existing set up.

Here a place that will pump up a 454 to 400 HP for $2650

According to Demon Engines, the 454 short-block can stomach power levels above 700 hp and 7,000 rpm and heavy doses of nitrous

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1010_cheap_big_block_chevy_engine_build/index.html

bigdawgchallenger
12-13-2010, 12:47 AM
You should have given me a call.

I put the 454's back in it 420 hp. I didn't want the engines to be worth more than the boat.

Donzigo
12-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I have read all of the posts and each one has given you credible information and they are on point. I have had this one for 8 years now and I never really cared for more speed. It's just not a speed demon; but, it's a great ride, a great design and a real head turner at the dock.

Mr-Fix-all has a good point. You can take a 454 snd modify it for big HP and that block can take a lot of torque. It's much cheaper than going the 496HO & new drives (about 50K) like I did or the 525 Bulldog route (the big dogs with big money play here).

I will never sell my boat and wish I could carry it with me when I go. But, at 61 I have a few years of wave smashing and giving this vessel all it will take; and, it's got a "cool factor" of 10, in my book.

Your number of 62MPH is correct. That is precisely what Donzi was looking for when the boat was new and introduced at the Chicago boat show in 1986 as an over 60MPH boat.

Low 70s for my boat? Ahhhh, yeah, my boat does go that fast on an empty tank, a 1 to 2 foot chop and only me in it ......... maybe a touch over 70MPH, but again why? I want to spend every minute on the water I can and getting there fast doesn't help me do that. What do they say: "Sailing is about getting there and motorboating is about being there" ............... guess I'm a sailor who loves to never get there.

It's all good..............thanks for letting me poke a little fun. Hey, go have fun in your Z33 Donzi, you have a neat boat and this a great bunch of people on this site ---- that alone is worth it.

Richard

FISHIN SUCKS
12-16-2010, 08:20 PM
"Sailing is about getting there and motorboating is about being there" ............... guess I'm a sailor who loves to never get there.
OOOoooo, I like that....very well put!

I love the Z33's, beautiful classy lines and I like the interior layout. Never rode on one, just walked around in them. I like Scarabs too....but I prefer a Donzi for many reasons more.
tom

gero1
12-16-2010, 10:23 PM
started in matt's z25(?) what a nice ride, he laughed at me when i crouched before we hit a wave.....we never felt it and the boat never moved! rode on and drove big dog's z33 this spring at aoth and have been bit by the bug bad. i drove thru 4' holes and never felt a thing. when the water gets real nasty and we all slow down you will just keep crusing on....i am going bigger

bigdawgchallenger
12-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Like I said, It rides great.