PDA

View Full Version : NMU Insurance

penbroke
09-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Has anyone ever done business with this company? Have you ever file a claim? The rates seen too good to be true.

Rootsy
09-26-2002, 07:22 PM
I just switched to them from progressive and saved myself 150 / year for better coverage... HOPEFULLY i will NEVER have to file a claim...

I know a few others here have them and i would be interested in hearing experiences with NMU.

RPD
09-26-2002, 08:14 PM
They cover my sailboat... I've never made a claim yet but then I haven't had a chance to get back to it after Isidore... I do like their attitude that boats are not like cars and the value may not be reflected in some book.... give them a stated value with some documentation (survey, etc.) and they will cover it for whatever you say it's worth without depreciation (except on certain parts such as engines and sails)... however, they wouldn't cover my Donzi 16... I don't remember why, maybe the size or something, so I have Progressive on it... they say they pay "actual cash value" but that they will take into consideration the $24-25K I dumped into it last year... much prefer NMU approach.

Ranman
09-27-2002, 07:49 AM
I have been with NMU for 3 years. Never had to file a claim, but they seem pretty good. Boat is a 1997 18 Classic. $25K boat, $2.5K trailer, $100K liability, premium is $323/yr.

mattyboy
09-27-2002, 08:48 AM
Perhaps you guys would like to share some more info, like whos is NMU and how to reach them
unless you're worried about your rates going up wink :D
thanks

Matt

Ranman
09-27-2002, 09:02 AM
National Marine Underwriters. www.nmu.com. (http://www.nmu.com.)

I think they will only insure boats less than 10 years old and they will not insure over 70mph. Look them up and post your results.

Sean
09-27-2002, 09:54 AM
So. Lets say you hit something going 78MPH. Could you just say I was going 65 so I should be covered wink :D . I couldn't resist.

I've actually been looking around for new coverage. It doesn't sound like NMU could help me. Hope you all stay claim free.

Rootsy
09-27-2002, 10:22 AM
I called after ranman told us all about it in the other forum and they took good care of me. Customer service was very good. I had done an online quote and when calling them the rates were higher. they had me fax them the online quote and they honored those prices. NMU took the initiative to correct the whole situation and returned my calls daily without me having to follow up. I have the same coverage as ranman on my 65 mph 97 16 classic except for 20K on boat and 2K on trailer.

$252 / year

lying to an insurance company really isn't the best thing to do, especially if you get in an accident and get caught lying... you are likely to see NOTHING... guess i've known one or two too many folks who've been there and done that eh...

Ranman
09-27-2002, 10:31 AM
That's a great price Jamie! I thought my $323 was good!

Sean
09-27-2002, 02:44 PM
I just got a quote from NMU. I must not be the market they are looking for. I was qouted $5,287 a year eek! . The deductable and coverage is less than what I currently have and the price is over $4,000 more a year. They must not have liked my 78MPH joke on my above post.

Glad they could help you guys. I'll continue to look. I'm happy with my carrier, not my agent. May be best to keep carrier and see if I can find a new agent.

Ralph Savarese
09-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Yes excellent Co. been with them at least15 years.
We shouyld look into gathering enough intrust and maybe getting a group rate for being club members.

Shanghied Again
09-28-2002, 07:49 AM
Sean try Total Dollar Insuarnce any boat over 26ft they are the best, Tell him I sent you he is a member of the NJPPC and they are real good with claims, My friend busted his drive on a sandbar he was up and running with in 2 weeks and that was Mercurys fault for not getting the drive out fast enough!
http://totaldollarinsurance.com/

boldts
09-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Hey Jamie, just noticed your signature. Let me tell you that maybe you should change the "Bayliner" to a "rowboat". I pulled into the marina last weekend behind a Bayliner cabin type cruiser with thru-hull and a rump-ity-rump that was no stock engine. Didn't get to see it run on the lake, but it sure sounded good. Back to the subject, thanks for the insurance advice as I too am looking to find a better rate.

Rootsy
09-28-2002, 05:31 PM
Scott,

i sure hope you lent a hand and told the guy he needed to put those 2 loose plug wires back on! :p