PDA

View Full Version : out with the old in with the new

donzi4life
08-01-2010, 09:42 PM
So I have come to a conclusion the other day, I am going to on change the old Volvo outdrive on my 1970 18 Donzi classic. The next step is finding a new/ used outdrive assembly transom mount gimble, trim and tilt system ect. Want to find something that will not to break the bank or cause problems in the long run. What would be the best choice in picking the right one and what do I need? The outdrive will be married to a ford 351w. What are my choices and what is the best route to go?

mrfixxall
08-01-2010, 09:55 PM
So I have come to a conclusion the other day, I am going to on change the old Volvo outdrive on my 1970 18 Donzi classic. The next step is finding a new/ used outdrive assembly transom mount gimble, trim and tilt system ect. Want to find something that will not to break the bank or cause problems in the long run. What would be the best choice in picking the right one and what do I need? The outdrive will be married to a ford 351w. What are my choices and what is the best route to go?

Volvo sx drive,will almosr mount to the existing hole and stronger and faster then the merc..

here some http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=volvo+penta+sx

tmh
08-02-2010, 06:38 AM
There's a current posting for someone that has multiple drives for sale. Blackhawk, Volvo, Alpha. He has a new Volvo SX drive listed.

mattyboy
08-02-2010, 07:23 AM
a 70 volvo would be a 250 the 250, 270,280 shared the same transom housing but all have no trim as with all volvos they got stronger as they went on.

the 280T had trim and used a similar housing but had 2 addtional holes for the trim lines. the housing with big ears on the side

the 290 had a different housing and cut out ( same cut out on the SX )
not sure but you might need some transom work . the 290 had internal trim rams more like a merc set up no ears.

I agree with Fix the volvo sx would be the real upgrade especially if you are keeping the ford power trying to find a ford /bravo coupler won't be easy.

but that opens the whole ford chevy can of worms thingy

there was a member here Mr Magoo I think that was selling a whole 280t setup might be worth a pm

MOP
08-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Stick with a Volvo drive you will be far better off in the long run!

donzi4life
08-02-2010, 07:57 AM
really why is the volvo better, I thought alpha would be a better drive?

Forrest
08-02-2010, 08:35 AM
The Volvo SX is at least as durable as a Bravo and is head-and-shoulders more durable, better designed, and better built than an Alpha.

BTW, the Volvo SX is not a direct retrofit to the older Volvo-Penta AQ 250-290. The SX transom cutout is essentially the same as the Alpha and Bravo cutout.

You will need to glass and recut the transom in order to go to an SX, which is probably the best way to go short of doing nothing.

Also, a 290 would be nice, but they tend to be hard to find. You can slightly enlarge an AQ 250-280 transom cutout to accomadate a 290.

donzi4life
08-02-2010, 09:03 AM
What would be a good deal if I could find a package deal or peice it together. What price range should I be in? where do I find a good deal!

mattyboy
08-03-2010, 01:17 PM
well you know what a 250 transom housing looks like here is a 280 t and a 290

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48247&d=1248008550

and a 280 t

hope that helps

SamIam
08-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Volvo makes an adapter plate to retro fit the older 2XX series-transom cut out to the SX series transom cut out. Very easy swap, bolt in and go. The adapter is painted the same color as the SX drives, looks nice.

donzi4life
08-03-2010, 10:27 PM
I always thought that alpha was a better drive? well what is a good deal or fair in looking for a volvo sx or alph gen 1 or 2 outdrive.

mphatc
08-03-2010, 10:43 PM
The Ford small block can mate to an Alpha, but mating it to a Bravo is totally custom . . . not a path I advise! BTDT, it works well, but was an intense project!

Stay with the Volvo combo!!

Mario L.

DickC
08-04-2010, 01:02 AM
There's a current posting for someone that has multiple drives for sale. Blackhawk, Volvo, Alpha. He has a new Volvo SX drive listed.

The Volvo SX drive is NOS as are two of the Alphas and the Blackhawk. Volvo gave it to my father for some machine work he did for them for their factory training and advertising, (cutaways of various Volvo drives). One of the gorillas that worked for him decided to try to press the u-joints out of the drive shaft rather than waiting for the Volvo parts for a job he had and sprung the yoke (the idiot never did get the u-joints out). I have it too but I'm pretty sure it would require a new one which I don't think I have. The drive sat in a drive stand in the middle of the shop with all of the shop dirt collecting on it over the years. The paint isn't the prettiest thing in the world but the gear lube is still a pretty honey color and smells fine.
I was actually going to use it on a SeaRay with a frozen Cobra SX drive using the Volvo conversion kit but we sold the boat instead...good thing as my wife thinks I have too many projects as it is.
I have a grundle of Volvo parts back in Texas, (I just brought a few of the big ticket items back with me in June) and will be going down there in early September to bring back another load. If you let me know what you need I'll see what I have.

JimG
08-04-2010, 06:10 AM
I always thought that alpha was a better drive?

Alpha is a good drive, but my old 250 is over forty years old and has not given me any problems. Dang thing is bulletproof!

Jim in Texas

mattyboy
08-04-2010, 06:45 AM
some other things to consider if you go to a newer drive you might need to change out the pulley on the crank shaft and find a way/place to mount the power steering and water pumps.

I have all that on the hornet with a 280t , I am wondering if trim and power steering is worth it.

my 16 with a 351 /250 was simple and strong.

Bobby D
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Volvo outdrives are very robust and if properly maintained will last a very long time. Other than Volvo how many other 40 year old outdrives are still running hard?

Original 40 year old 250 and a 12 year old SX alive and well in Pa.

donzi4life
08-06-2010, 01:06 PM
So I get the hint that volvo is the way to go If that is the case what is the price that I should look for new or used? And where do I start looking?

DickC
08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
ummmm...as I said earlier I have a new SX for sale so you don't have to look too much further than this thread to get started. However, you would need to gather in the rest of what you need for which I don't envy you...
I'm heading down to Texas the first week in September and I'll look around to see if I have any transom plates, gimbal housings, etcetera and get back to you...providing there isn't a cave in and I get buried in parts while I'm poking around the storage units...