PDA

View Full Version : Engine and Drive for a 22 classic

MasterKey89
07-31-2010, 03:14 PM
It's been awhile since I have posted, but I have a 22 classic that was converted to an O/b motor by the previous owner. At one time I wanted to convert her back to an inboard but decided it was going to be too much work. Last weekend we were out in her and the pressure of the outboard bracket was too much for the transom and the top of the transom popped right out of place. Luckily we got her out of the water before anything really bad happened. Now we are going to get the transom replaced and beefed up for good measure.

Since we are going to have a blank slate to work with I wanted to get some feedback on engine and drive ideas that we could use. We would like to get a good 85+ mph out of the boat so any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Key

axelkloehn
07-31-2010, 03:28 PM
85+? you need much more than the standard 496HO/Bravo One configuration

Carl C
07-31-2010, 03:56 PM
My 525 EFI/Bravo XR/Imco shorty goes 83-86, depending on conditions. Soooo, you need at least 525 hp and forget about running a Bravo 1 drive.

MasterKey89
07-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the comments, I figured I would need 500+ hp and the xr. I was looking at the 650 hp Chief engine, with bravo xr drive along with hydraulic steering. http://www.chiefengines.com/650hpefi.html

mrfixxall
07-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the comments, I figured I would need 500+ hp and the xr. I was looking at the 650 hp Chief engine, with bravo xr drive along with hydraulic steering. http://www.chiefengines.com/650hpefi.html

if it were my boat and my money i would stay away from a big block and look into a ls small block platform.. you sould get as much hp or more out of a ls and the plus side would be the weight savings..call bob @ marine kinetics, (585-654-8583)he builds a 600 hp ls that runs on 93 octane...

good luck :)

P.S.

BTW you would be the first with a ls in a 22 classic..

gcarter
07-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Catch22 does 94 on a good day w/a Procharged 454 Magnum that's pretty stock and a stock Bravo I and a shorty.
This package has been together for over five years now and it's been very consistant and very dependable.

Carl C
08-01-2010, 09:18 AM
if it were my boat and my money i would stay away from a big block and look into a ls small block platform.. you sould get as much hp or more out of a ls and the plus side would be the weight savings..call bob @ marine kinetics, (585-654-8583)he builds a 600 hp ls that runs on 93 octane...
good luck :)
BTW you would be the first with a ls in a 22 classic..

But can a small block cranking it's guts out for hours on end to produce the same hp & torque of a BB hold up??

Catch22 does 94 on a good day w/a Procharged 454 Magnum that's pretty stock and a stock Bravo I and a shorty.
This package has been together for over five years now and it's been very consistant and very dependable.

He must be a far less aggressive driver than I since I destroyed a Bravo 1 in 7 hours :) !

BTW, many think that the 525 EFI is underrated so I'd say that to run consistent 85 mph would take at least an honest 550 hp and I don't know how torque will figure into the equation.

gcarter
08-01-2010, 09:27 AM
[quote=Carl C;573187]He must be a far less aggressive driver than I since I destroyed a Bravo 1 in 7 hours :) ![quote]

Yes Carl, he is...he's nothing like you.

Sometimes you remind me of a 16 year old boy whose dad just bought him a new pony car.
Every stop light and stop sign is another opportunity to do a 0-60 run!!!!!:nilly:

I'm just saying.:wink:

mattyboy
08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
what about fixing her and hanging side by side 300 hp eggbeaters on her.
it's another way to get to 600 hp

:yes:

Carl C
08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
[quote=Carl C;573187]He must be a far less aggressive driver than I since I destroyed a Bravo 1 in 7 hours :) ![quote]

Yes Carl, he is...he's nothing like you.

Sometimes you remind me of a 16 year old boy whose dad just bought him a new pony car.
Every stop light and stop sign is another opportunity to do a 0-60 run!!!!!:nilly:

I'm just saying.:wink:

lol, I'm not THAT bad but I do like to let the pony gallup when conditions permit and there is plenty of air time on the great lakes. I'm getting better at throttling down during my flights:nilly:.

fysis
08-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Hello Carl. Bjorn from sweden with the black 540" 22 classic here. Yesterday we had the annual shoot out over here. I run 87.5 mph. Just did one run because after the run i had some problem with my mallory 140 GPH fuel pump and did not want to risk the engine without finding out whats wrong with it. I Used the TXP 29 propp instead of the Turbo 4 blade fusion 27. Guys at the shoot out that had tried the TXP said that it was compared to other 29 3 blades kind of "heavy" took a lot of horses to drive. What´s your opinion. Do you go faster with 3 or 4 blades?? and what could be the best for me regarding top speed. stil using stock bravo x. Planning for a shorty next year.My friend with his 22 classic 2004 +6.2+whipple+ 27 3blade did 74.8 mph. The spectators said that there where a big difference between our boats in behaviour mine is very stable and undramatic his more nervous probably because he just have the stock steering . Ihave the 2 ram imco. The results from the "race" will come up soon on the sight www.shootout.se (http://www.shootout.se) right now it shows last years event. Al the figures are in knots and must be x 1.151 to get the mph Regards Bjorn:sweden:

Carl C
08-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello Carl. Bjorn from sweden with the black 540" 22 classic here. Yesterday we had the annual shoot out over here. I run 87.5 mph. Just did one run because after the run i had some problem with my mallory 140 GPH fuel pump and did not want to risk the engine without finding out whats wrong with it. I Used the TXP 29 propp instead of the Turbo 4 blade fusion 27. Guys at the shoot out that had tried the TXP said that it was compared to other 29 3 blades kind of "heavy" took a lot of horses to drive. What´s your opinion. Do you go faster with 3 or 4 blades?? and what could be the best for me regarding top speed. stil using stock bravo x. Planning for a shorty next year.My friend with his 22 classic 2004 +6.2+whipple+ 27 3blade did 74.8 mph. The spectators said that there where a big difference between our boats in behaviour mine is very stable and undramatic his more nervous probably because he just have the stock steering . Ihave the 2 ram imco. The results from the "race" will come up soon on the sight www.shootout.se (http://www.shootout.se) right now it shows last years event. Al the figures are in knots and must be x 1.151 to get the mph Regards Bjorn:sweden:

Hi, Bjorn. I am not the prop expert here! I would like to try more props but don't have access to them. Also, with the shorty, my boat may not even plane out with a 3 blade although a 3 blade would probably be faster. I've been happy with the BBlades 30p Bravo 1 prop. At 85-86 I am bumping the rev limiter (5,400 rpm) but folks are telling me to run this motor near the limiter so I think I am propped perfectly. Start a new prop thread :popcorn::nilly:. lol, just kidding.

mrfixxall
08-01-2010, 01:19 PM
( can a small block cranking it's guts out for hours on end to produce the same hp & torque of a BB hold up?? )

the answer is hell ya!..the ls engine have 6 bolt mains,the crankshaft is tucked into the block,not hanging out of the block like a bb or the older sb,,the valve geometry is better then a big block, with the proper coolers that engine can run all day long at it maximum potential hp..

HIGH LIFE
08-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I agree with mattyboy, my experience with o/b - power to weight ratio with a single 300X, properly rigged could put the 22 over 80 MPH. you should replace tronsom & reinforce with 2 or 3 knees to tie it all together ! The distance from transom to prop is very important also hull to prop shaft. I have a 27' MAGNUM SEDAN w/twin 300X, app. hull weight is 5,600 #, motors app. 444#, running 78 GPS. "HIGH LIFE"