PDA

View Full Version : shelby engine hatch question

larry9901
07-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Hello,

I have decided I am going to remove my hp500 from my 22c and am replacing it with a new motor and need more clearance.

Does anyone know where I could find a Shelby or Shelby look alike hatch? With this new motor I will be needing more clearance.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

gcarter
07-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Call Jamie at Lakeside. He has a Donzi repair facility.
See the ad above.

larry9901
07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Call Jamie at Lakeside. He has a Donzi repair facility.
See the ad above.

Thanks,
I did call him, but I am also looking for other options.

LKSD
08-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Good talking with you yesterday, As I mentioned that hatch set up regardless is going to take a little time & money to do.. I will touch base with you this week again with the info.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

DonziJosh
08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
The Donzi factory can build one for you. Call us at 888.441.1614 to place your order!

Josh

mrfixxall
08-02-2010, 12:44 PM
The Donzi factory can build one for you. Call us at 888.441.1614 to place your order!

Josh

i think you guys should make a 18 shelby with a supercharged LS motor :yes:

DonziJosh
08-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Tell us what you want us to build and we'll build it! The only challenge would probably be getting the OK from the Shelby people for a one-off, as it took a lot of contractual wrangling to put that deal together.

larry9901
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Josh
thanks Josh,
Ill give you a call tomorrow morning.

Larry

P.S. I could only imagine the wrangling involved for a one-off for a 18. I owned a shelby replica cobra and the manufacturer always had issues with Carrol Shelby

mrfixxall
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Tell us what you want us to build and we'll build it! The only challenge would probably be getting the OK from the Shelby people for a one-off, as it took a lot of contractual wrangling to put that deal together.

even if it looked like a shelby it would be cool..Heck you dont need the shelby name,,paint it brown with white stripes and call it the brownie addition :)

larry9901
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
even if it looked like a shelby it would be cool..Heck you dont need the shelby name,,paint it brown with white stripes and call it the brownie addition :)

Exactly
I don't plan on painting the name "shelby" on there. At least not at this point. And, it doesn't have to be exactly to what the "shelby" hatch specs are.

Although with the new engine I am building the exhaust will be even higher than it is now. (and they are already rubbing on the factory hatch as it sits)

I will need the function of the Shelby hatch. The way it is raised on both sides. Plus, I do love the look of it!

Larry

DonziJosh
08-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Exactly
I don't plan on painting the name "shelby" on there. At least not at this point. And, it doesn't have to be exactly to what the "shelby" hatch specs are.

Although with the new engine I am building the exhaust will be even higher than it is now. (and they are already rubbing on the factory hatch as it sits)

I will need the function of the Shelby hatch. The way it is raised on both sides. Plus, I do love the look of it!

Larry

So you know, I was talking about Mr. Fixxall's request for the 18 Shelby. We can build you the raised hatch used on the 22 Shelby GT, with or without hardware, no problem. It just won't say Shelby. We can also do the Harwood-style hatch (Aronow Edition, early Shelby, 009 Edition).

Josh

RickSE
08-03-2010, 10:58 AM
i think you guys should make a 18 shelby with a supercharged LS motor :yes:

Why not just use a 96-era 18-C hatch with the large hump? If the molds are still around??

mrfixxall
08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Why not just use a 96-era 18-C hatch with the large hump? If the molds are still around??

im going to need a raised hatch in the future for my x18..The only problem is i think theirs more of a curve to the oe hatch then the classic hatch. I really like the shelby style hatch it all blends together,,the hatch you are refering to just dont look rite to me :)

larry9901
08-04-2010, 09:11 AM

Josh

Hey Josh, It was nice talking to you the other day.
It was also nice talking about the good ol' days with Don, Steve, and Bill!

The 87 22 Classic I have now is rough around the corners. Although, hopefully it should clean up.
But, fuel wise its not as bad as our old 43' no.5 Scarab with tripple Merc. 1000's :cool!:

It's amazing how times have changed, considering I thought we were really something having the boat that set the speed record at 126.**mph with that boat.

Next time your in Michigan, be sure to get a hold of us.

Anyways, talk to you soon.

Larry

chrisc2
08-05-2010, 10:01 PM
So what was that all about Larry? Did you go ahead with the project or what?

larry9901
08-06-2010, 08:18 AM
So what was that all about Larry? Did you go ahead with the project or what?

We were just talking about the #5 43' scarab that set the kilo speed record back in the mid 90's.

Are you referring to the hatch project? If so, yes, I will be getting a different hatch. Not sure what yet, but a new hatch will be needed.

The new engine will be special! :cool!:

Cuda
08-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I'll take the HP 500 if you're selling it for scrap.

larry9901
08-07-2010, 09:40 AM
We were just talking about the #5 43' scarab that set the kilo speed record back in the mid 90's.

Are you referring to the hatch project? If so, yes, I will be getting a different hatch. Not sure what yet, but a new hatch will be needed.

The new engine will be special! :cool!:

Here is a picture of one of the three engines from the #5 scarab

http://priuschat.com/forums/members/larry9901-albums-cabin-filter-picture4562-scarab51.jpeg

Ill try and get some pictures of the boat to post.
Kind of cool to see:)

larry9901
08-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I'll take the HP 500 if you're selling it for scrap.

Come and get it.

Actually, with the new heads and cleaned up the engine runs pretty good!:)

Cuda
08-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Come and get it.

Actually, with the new heads and cleaned up the engine runs pretty good!:)
Where are you located?

HOWARD O
08-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Dang Joe, you're just determined to see an HP 500 in this 22, ain't ya? :yes:

I don't care what anyone says, you're just way too kind! I can't wait!!! :kingme:

Cuda
08-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't care what anyone says, you're just way too kind! I can't wait!!! :kingme:
It was slated to go in your 22. When I pulled the heads and saw how little usage the engine had on it, I just put add on's on it and reduced the engine weight.

HOWARD O
08-07-2010, 07:17 PM
It was slated to go in your 22. When I pulled the heads and saw how little usage the engine had on it, I just put add on's on it and reduced the engine weight.

All right! Let me know when you get that bad boy home, I'll bring her down and I can help you drop her in! I'll bring what tools I have...... :yes:

Just funnin' with ya, Joe. But boy wouldn't it be sweet! Not that I'm complaining, enjoying the old 454 just fine for now.

Cuda
08-07-2010, 10:19 PM
All right! Let me know when you get that bad boy home, I'll bring her down and I can help you drop her in! I'll bring what tools I have...... :yes:
Just funnin' with ya, Joe. But boy wouldn't it be sweet! Not that I'm complaining, enjoying the old 454 just fine for now.
I have a chain fall rigged in the garage. :)

larry9901
08-08-2010, 05:04 PM

I really think the HP500 is the perfect engine for the 22c.
In mine, it sits, rides and feels perfect.

It is really not necessary at all for me to pull my HP500 as it really runs good. I just happen to stumble upon another that is very fresh and while its on the bench I plan on building it a bit more.

Larry

HOWARD O
08-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Oh, I've got the itch.......but I have not the scratch!!! :nilly:

GBond
08-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Anyone want to give the rest, a rough estimate on what an unfinished hatch is going for, or do we need to make the call?

BlownCrewCab
08-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Wasn't there a thread (in the last 4-5 months) where someone made a mold off a raised hatch... Theirs was rotting at the core. somebody just did this recently..Pics and all..Now it's up to you to find out who :)

I cant search so I cant help :(

LKSD
08-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Wasn't there a thread (in the last 4-5 months) where someone made a mold off a raised hatch... Theirs was rotting at the core. somebody just did this recently..Pics and all..Now it's up to you to find out who :)

I cant search so I cant help :(

That was not for a 22.. ;)

Cuda
08-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Anyone want to give the rest, a rough estimate on what an unfinished hatch is going for, or do we need to make the call?
I paid $600 to have a hatch made for the 22. They had to build a jig to get the curve right. That was painted and all.