PDA

View Full Version : Painting antennas

The Hedgehog
07-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I think that this has been covered before but I can't find it in a search.

Is it ok to paint a VHF antenna? I was thinking about laying some clear on the Roamer's antennas so I won't pick up glass in my hands when I grab them.

mrfixxall
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
I think that this has been covered before but I can't find it in a search.

Is it ok to paint a VHF antenna? I was thinking about laying some clear on the Roamer's antennas so I won't pick up glass in my hands when I grab them.

pick up a qt of imron lead free clear, scuff with a green scuff pad and shoot away..

DonziJon
07-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Check out this link from the West Marine catalog and scroll down to "Construction".

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=VHF-Antennas

The Hedgehog
07-28-2010, 03:11 PM
That is good info.

Mine is not discoloring but will give you a sliver or two in your hand if you grab it and move it. It is stored inside.

It seems like it is worth shooting with some of that paint Fixx suggested.

Nothing chanced, nothing gained. I shot the front seats in my ZX with vinyl paint a couple of years ago in hopes of getting another season out of them. The vinyl guys told me I was wasting my time. Other than one part that I messed up and have not fixed yet, they look like I tinted them yesterday.