PDA

View Full Version : Crazy from the heat-a quick question

jamieZ
07-27-2010, 07:46 AM
I had buddy do the timing on my old 350mag. He got the 8 degrees BTDC but the engine doesn't seem to have that old Donzi snap. I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now and realized that we didn't connect the timing light to number one cylinder plug wire, it looks like we did number eight.( there was alcohol involved) Would that make a big difference? It runs good at higher speeds but seems to dog it at low end. I'm not use to this old school stuff when everything is electronic now-a-days. Anybody would like to comment? Thanks, Jamie

hdsadey
07-27-2010, 07:56 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 is the firing order. If you hooked up to number 8 cylinder you can ad another 40 degrees to the current timing. This is bad! Before you run it again correct the timing!!!!!!!!! No. 1 should be port side towards the front of the boat as long as the distributor is located on the rear of the engine, assuming that its not a reverse mount motor.

Tidbart
07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Jamie,
It is not an MPI is it? If not, no problem. If it is the timing is set in a totally different manner than a carbed unit.

B

jamieZ
07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
It's a carb, Q4 Rochester. Jamie

MOP
07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Forget about bottom timing, hookup the light to #1 bring the RPM up until you see it stop advancing. Set top time at 30-32 degrees, top timing is far more important due to the loads our engine carry.