PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please....

fogducker III
07-25-2010, 07:40 PM
This is for sale locally, low hour 454 replacement by a local garage that I know.....any blatant problems with the year or model etc.......Apparently an Oregon fresh water boat.......recently brought here, had a cracked block, hence the new 454........Alpha drive is one of the draw backs for me.......saying that, if the hull is sound it will be repowered this winter.

How do the Z21's handle power...?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Z21-Donzi-7.4L_12614600

LKSD
07-26-2010, 07:20 AM
They hold power well. We just did one and put in a 450hp 502 & it handled it well, but still not lightning fast. However it did get to speed rather quickly.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

jimishooch
07-26-2010, 08:46 AM
been thinking and looking at Z21's myself. good looking boat, looks like somebody has been taking care of it.
check the usual, transom and stringers...........
good luck
jim

fogducker III
07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks gentlemen, going to look at it in the next couple of days.....

I like the small cuddy layout but not 100% on the lines of the boat, I guess it will grow on me....will check structural details and let you know what I find.......:crossfing:

HOWARD O
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I think it's cool. Would make a great family boat with a little cuddy and that "you're a peein' " transom, but yet you can have some speed fun with it. Plus it's a Donzi too. Pretty neat, I'd like to own it! I really like the color, matched the boat well I think.

fogducker III
07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I think it's cool. Would make a great family boat with a little cuddy and that "you're a peein' " transom, but yet you can have some speed fun with it. Plus it's a Donzi too. Pretty neat, I'd like to own it! I really like the color, matched the boat well I think.

I was along side this boat in the water at a local lake not long ago, before I sold my boat so I did not really look at it in detail but it sounded nice and looked relativly clean......definatly worth a look....

3rdDonzi
07-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Fogducker,
I bought a new Z21 in 1987 and kept it for 19 years. Mine was a 454 Magnum with an Alpha drive. It was a great boat, good looking, awsome sound, plenty of room and the swim platform was great, HOWEVER, the ride was not nearly as good as a Classic and the handling was horrible. Not very fast. Barely made 60 and porpoising was a huge problem. By the time you had enough tab to dampen the porpoise, it created enough drag to scrub the speed.
I've been told that the small block Z21's werent nearly as bad and damn near as fast. You might consider buildng a small block with some HP.
All said, I sure enjoyed mine but the Classics have always rung the bell for me. I'm happily enjoying my 18 Classic / pontoon boat combination. The Classic's not a practical boat to spend the day on but it sure is fun to take to lunch or a evening ride. The Z boat offers a good compromise.
3D

fogducker III
07-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Fogducker,
I bought a new Z21 in 1987 and kept it for 19 years. Mine was a 454 Magnum with an Alpha drive. It was a great boat, good looking, awsome sound, plenty of room and the swim platform was great, HOWEVER, the ride was not nearly as good as a Classic and the handling was horrible. Not very fast. Barely made 60 and porpoising was a huge problem. By the time you had enough tab to dampen the porpoise, it created enough drag to scrub the speed.
I've been told that the small block Z21's werent nearly as bad and damn near as fast. You might consider buildng a small block with some HP.
All said, I sure enjoyed mine but the Classics have always rung the bell for me. I'm happily enjoying my 18 Classic / pontoon boat combination. The Classic's not a practical boat to spend the day on but it sure is fun to take to lunch or a evening ride. The Z boat offers a good compromise.
3D

Thanks 3D, good input.......that is what we are heading for, a boat we can cruise all day in, anchor or dock and spend the night and the other half can at least pee on the go.......:yes:

My plan, if this boat has decent "bones" is to drop a 383 Scorpion with a Bravo with an Imco shorty or similar leg.......as you say, that combination should "lighten" things up and with weight out of the water will help with porpoising IMO.....:crossfing:

CaribouLou
07-27-2010, 12:39 AM
I'll sell you my boat J for what they're asking for that.

3rdDonzi
07-27-2010, 06:49 AM
My plan, if this boat has decent "bones" is to drop a 383 Scorpion with a Bravo with an Imco shorty or similar leg.......as you say, that combination should "lighten" things up and with weight out of the water will help with porpoising IMO.....:crossfing:

I agree that lightning up the rear would do the trick. Hope it checks out OK and you get it. They are beautiful boats, getting pretty rare and are becoming true "classics" themselves.
3D

fogducker III
07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
I'll sell you my boat J for what they're asking for that.

Thanks Kelly but the other half is looking forward to a cuddy.......plus, I won't be paying what he is asking.....:wink:

fogducker III
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
So I am heading down on Thursday to have a good eye-ball on the boat. Here are some recent pics.....the gear oil on the ground was spillage from changing it apparently.....not sure about the fluid "splashes" in the bilge? Perhaps the style of paint job where you splash another colour over the base colour..?

Anyhow, it looks OK from the pics, not sure where the exhaust goes? Doesn't look like thru-hull or even to a Y pipe...:confused:

mrfixxall
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
So I am heading down on Thursday to have a good eye-ball on the boat. Here are some recent pics.....the gear oil on the ground was spillage from changing it apparently.....not sure about the fluid "splashes" in the bilge? Perhaps the style of paint job where you splash another colour over the base colour..?

Anyhow, it looks OK from the pics, not sure where the exhaust goes? Doesn't look like thru-hull or even to a Y pipe...:confused:

The splashes in the bilage are another color of gel,, ask cuda he would know for sure (just stirring the pot cuda JK)..

as for the exhause they cock in twards each other then dump above the drive..

fogducker III
07-27-2010, 04:30 PM
The splashes in the bilage are another color of gel,, ask cuda he would know for sure (just stirring the pot cuda JK)..

as for the exhause they cock in twards each other then dump above the drive..

Good to know about the "paint" and exhaust.......wasn't sure if it went to a Y pipe and through the hub........

PS. Shouldn't you be getting dinner ready for the ex...?:wink::popcorn:

mrfixxall
07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Good to know about the "paint" and exhaust.......wasn't sure if it went to a Y pipe and through the hub........

PS. Shouldn't you be getting dinner ready for the ex...?:wink::popcorn:

if you look at the swim platform theirs a hump in the middle,i believe thats where the exhaust comes out under it..

your rite about me cooking!! she burns everything under the sun:yes::popcorn:

yeller
07-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Jeremy, you need to buy Bill's boat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60999

This boat would be perfect for our waters.

fogducker III
07-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Jeremy, you need to buy Bill's boat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60999

This boat would be perfect for our waters.

That would be a GREAT winter project........:yes:

Problem is that it is to big.......I have nowhere to put it.......or work on it even.......:frown: