PDA

View Full Version : Drive test coming soon

yeller
07-24-2010, 12:27 PM
It's on its way.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62429
Still not sure I should have pulled the trigger...but too late now.

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I get it installed. I'll post results when it's done.

Titan has his drive off right now (-2 shorty) and has offered to let me give it try. I'm hoping I can find time to try it out 1st, so I can have a 3-way comparison of Stock, Shorty and BH.

gcarter
07-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Congratulations!
I think that just might be the answer to al lot of your issues.

Titan
07-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Hey Glen, mine is going back together very soon!!! You better try it pretty quick if your still interested. Give me a call.

yeller
07-25-2010, 02:55 AM
Hey Glen, mine is going back together very soon!!! You better try it pretty quick if your still interested. Give me a call.
Take some pics of the repair before the engine goes back in. I'd be interested to see how it differs from mine.

Titan
07-26-2010, 10:29 AM
I will get some pics, they have changed the repair completely again. The kit Donzi sent me contained 1/2" core foam which they core the whole hull area under the engine and then put a few different layers of mat over that. The guy doing the repair for me said the foam will absorb a lot of shock and abuse that area takes. I asked Chuck at Donzi if this was proving to be a stronger repair and he replied that they were having good luck with it as well as this is the way they do the 38 ZR. They also drill holes every six inches in the strakes and inject them to fill the voids in the strakes. Time will tell I guess. Can't wait to get it back together, this is a stupid time of year to have it apart.

RickSE
07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Titan, I never did hear what actually happened to your boat, just that something "bad" happened.

Yeller, this will be a good test and the drive shouldn't be hard to resell if you don't like it. After reading the 18 shortie Alpha posts I'm thinking I could run a -2 on my boat; putting my "X" up 3.5". :cool!:

Titan
07-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Titan, I never did hear what actually happened to your boat, just that something "bad" happened.

Nothing "BAD", just the typical cracks in the hull under the engine. Known about them for awhile, just finally got time to deal with it. Cracks on both sides but worse on the port, was actually starting to delaminate. Glad I didn't wait for winter! Had the spider cracks in gelcoat outside of that area repaired as well. My hull warranty was up but I contacted Donzi anyways. They sent me the current repair kit less resins and such that they could not ship. They were helpful and didn't have a problem supplying the materials. I get it back tomorrow, looking forward to getting the engine back in. Lets hope that is the end of that problem. I also cut the front storage tub out and fitted the new piece of plywood so it could be glassed in at the same time. One less thing I have to make time to do. Can't wait to have access to the bow storage...:)

RickSE
07-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Nothing "BAD", just the typical cracks in the hull under the engine...

OK thanks for the info, was just curious. I also had the repair done a few years ago and it's held up fine on the inside. We did have to go back into the repair on the outside though and remove putty that the factory put under the gel repair to the strake area. After we fixed this the bottom has been rock solid.

yeller
07-28-2010, 12:51 AM
...I'm thinking I could run a -2 on my boat; putting my "X" up 3.5". :cool!:
If the BH works on my boat, you'll certainly be able to run a shorty.
I should see it this week, but not sure if I'll have time to try it out. Hoping I can by the end of next week.

I'm getting worried about the import charges from UPS though. I just had a $110 part that weighed 8oz shipped UPS and the import charges were $50 from UPS. :eek:

Carl C
07-28-2010, 08:01 AM
OK thanks for the info, was just curious. I also had the repair done a few years ago and it's held up fine on the inside. We did have to go back into the repair on the outside though and remove putty that the factory put under the gel repair to the strake area. After we fixed this the bottom has been rock solid.

Mine has been holding up too and I also had to go back and remove putty. I've since added 4 layers of stitchmat on the engine room floor and up the stringers. I didn't want to do the coring because it would have raised the floor enough to prevent water drainage from the front area.

Yeller, good luck with the testing. I hope you can finally cure your boat's quirks.

Titan
07-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm getting worried about the import charges from UPS though. I just had a $110 part that weighed 8oz shipped UPS and the import charges were $50 from UPS. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

Hey Glen, too late this time but I always use Seawings express. If you have it shipped to your name c/o Seawings express at their address in Blaine, Washington they will bring it to Victoria airport in bond. You just go to their office, pick up the paperwork, walk over to the Customs office and pay the tax and then walk back over and they give you your goods. Smaller packages are usually $17.00. This way your not paying brokerage fees, your clearing it yourself. If you go to their website it explains the process. Way cheaper than UPS brokerage fees.

Good luck with the leg swap, call me if you need help with anything. I should be ready for some testing of my own next week, maybe we can tee up out there.

BlakeSullivan
07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Be sure to call me with any problems with UPS I filled out all the paper work but who knows what else there is. thanks

yeller
07-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Drive arrived today Blake. Won't be able to get it until Monday. Were the pins sent on the same truck or should I expect a second shipment?

BlakeSullivan
07-30-2010, 03:23 PM
They should have been followed very close by ill check Ups website and get back to you, did the drive make the transport smoothly?

yeller
07-30-2010, 03:31 PM
...did the drive make the transport smoothly?I sure hope so. I can't get to the depot today and they'll be closed on the weekend, so it'll have to wait until Monday. Hopefully the pins will be there by then as well.

fogducker III
07-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I sure hope so. I can't get to the depot today and they'll be closed on the weekend, so it'll have to wait until Monday. Hopefully the pins will be there by then as well.

Monday is a holiday...:wink:

I agree with Mark, I have used Seawings for lots of stuff, great set-up.

BTW. I pulled the trigger on the SCS......:eek::yes:

yeller
07-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Monday is a holiday...:wink: You could have at least let me enjoy the thought for a while. What a joy kill. :wink:

You know how I feel about SCS's...

yeller
08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Was finally able to pick it up. Everything looks to be in great shape. Super busy at work though and don't know if I'll be able to test it any time soon though.

What a hassle trying to locate where the drive was sent to. UPS kept trying to tell me it was delivered, when I knew it wasn't. Once it crossed the CND/US border it went to a different trucking company. It was delivered as far as UPS was concerned because it was in Canada. Once UPS handed it off, that was the end of the tracking. I talked to at least 6 different departments at UPS, several people at a Canadian cartage company near the border, some guy named Bob on the docks, (neither of us know how Bob and I ended up connected). Bob was just a dock worker but he ended up being the guy that pointed me in the right direction. Had to talk to a couple more people at another trucking company, but finally found where it was being held. If I hadn't accidentally been connected to the dock phone that Bob just happened to be walking by, I bet I'd still be on the phone, because no one seemed to have a clue where it was sent. Bob just took his "best guess" where it would of gone.

I DO NOT recommend anyone use UPS for cross border freight delivers. Packages sure, but freight, never.

Titan
08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Come on Glen, get that thing on there. We need to test this weekend!!!:yes: I went out for an hour last night. Nice to have it back togethher. I was wondering if I could try a few of your props again? I will give you a call.

MDonziM
08-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeller, what power do you have?

yeller
08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeller, what power do you have?04 496HO, Procharger. About 3lbs boost. Procharger would claim 575hp but realistically I'd say about 525.

Mark, I'm not going to have time to put the BH on in the next week or so, but I still might find an hour or two to go boating so I need to keep the Tempest and a spare. I can only let the Bravo1 go for now. I can let you have the M+ as well, but I'd need the Hydro back for a spare.

Titan
08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
What ever works best for you Glen. I also have that 29 mirage that is labbed differently than yours you could try. I went out tonight for a few hours and went for dinner. It is great to use the boat again. I will call you and see if we can hook up this week, I am going away to the interior next weekend.

blackhawk
08-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Was finally able to pick it up. Everything looks to be in great shape. Super busy at work though and don't know if I'll be able to test it any time soon though.

What a hassle trying to locate where the drive was sent to. UPS kept trying to tell me it was delivered, when I knew it wasn't. Once it crossed the CND/US border it went to a different trucking company. It was delivered as far as UPS was concerned because it was in Canada. Once UPS handed it off, that was the end of the tracking. I talked to at least 6 different departments at UPS, several people at a Canadian cartage company near the border, some guy named Bob on the docks, (neither of us know how Bob and I ended up connected). Bob was just a dock worker but he ended up being the guy that pointed me in the right direction. Had to talk to a couple more people at another trucking company, but finally found where it was being held. If I hadn't accidentally been connected to the dock phone that Bob just happened to be walking by, I bet I'd still be on the phone, because no one seemed to have a clue where it was sent. Bob just took his "best guess" where it would of gone.

I DO NOT recommend anyone use UPS for cross border freight delivers. Packages sure, but freight, never.

UPS sucks for all cross border deliveries! Even small packages.

In hindsight you should have sent it to me in MI and I could have tested it on my boat to made sure it was good, then delivered it to you! :D

Good luck with the testing!

yeller
08-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Test day Saturday!! :hyper:

Taking the boat to Fogduckers to swap the drive. Pics and results to follow.

Wish I wasn't so busy lately. Titan had his shorty off the boat and offered it to me. I would have loved to try it out to see the difference between stock, -2, and BH.

yeller
08-29-2010, 08:58 PM
1st run results are in.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63066

fogducker III
08-29-2010, 09:00 PM
1st run results are in.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63066

I took the privledge...:wink: